Carver Convinced He’ll Be Appointed Head Coach Next Week

You can never accuse John Carver of not talking a good game, and after last night’s astonishing statement that he thought he was in pole position to get the top job at Newcastle, he has expanded on that today – and he thinks he could be given the top job next week.

Newcastle United  Training Session

John Carver – could get the job permanently next week

This is what John Carver has said today:

“It’s the election next week,” “And it’s the important people that count, they will make their decision.” “They will take everything into consideration.”

“When you set off on the coaching ladder, you say to yourself ‘who do you want to be and where do you want to go?’.” “You set targets all the time, and I always said I want to be manager of this football club, because of what it means to me.”

“So when you get that opportunity, you have got to try to take it.” “By hook or by crook, I want this, and I want to make a go of it. I hear people say I might end up stir crazy, but I’m not bothered. I want to have a go.”

“But I think just being number two would be the easy way out, and I’m not prepared to do that – never done it in my life – and I’m not going to start doing it now.”

If it does happen and Ashley and Charnley decide next week who will be the head coach and John gets the job, it’s going to be hard for John not to blurt out he is the new head coach the next time he is interviewed.

That will hardly make Newcastle fans happy that Ashley and Charley appoint a coach who has the following record so far this year.

CompetitionPlayedWonDrawnLostGFGAGDPoints
League1934121835-1713
FA Cup100101-1
Overall2034131836-1813

Coaching (management) is all about results and inspiring playing to play at their very best, and John Carver has not shown any of that those abilities this year, and doesn’t deserve to be given the job.

With all due respect to John as a person – he’s just not good enough to be a successful head coach at Newcastle United – whatever he has to say about it.

• Our Toon

May 1, 2015 at 10:58 PM

I’ve said all along he’ll get the job, let’s see if it really happens

• Our Toon

May 1, 2015 at 10:58 PM

Doubt we will find out next week though, it’ll be end of June at the latest

• archaeomag

May 1, 2015 at 11:01 PM

Look at it this way – it could be JFK

• Sheikh MagToon

May 1, 2015 at 11:01 PM

It’s the first of May not April, and this must be an April fool!

• archaeomag

May 1, 2015 at 11:04 PM

@ED
    “It’s the election next week,” “…”
    ………. are we taking this out of context ?

• davis_toons

May 1, 2015 at 11:05 PM

This Counld Be Mind Games to the Players.

• davis_toons

May 1, 2015 at 11:13 PM

JC wasn’t as bad as AP. Its just the players adjusting working for him.

I would prefer watching JC football than AP..although both are as bad.

BUT We have got NO other choices under MA. How abt JK3?

• jane

May 1, 2015 at 11:29 PM

it would be good for MA and SD if JC gets the job but I don’t know why 😐

• stan anderson

May 1, 2015 at 11:42 PM

O h whats happened to our club.

• jimmysmith

May 1, 2015 at 11:52 PM

For the first time I think Ashley could perhaps be trying to manoeuvre everything into a place where a sale might be possible. Carver as head coach on a renegotiated short term contract would certainly have suited that aim, if he had proved more capable. That he appears not to be, creates a problem for the owner if he is looking at selling. The blanker the canvas at Newcastle, in terms of a manager who can be easily replaced by a new owner, coinciding with a group of young players with potential and on manageable wages, and cash in the bank, makes the club that much more saleable.

But of course we need to be safely placed in the EPL at the same time, which is unlikely under John, and if Ashley were looking at a sale, in the next year or so, that presents an unwanted problem for the owner.

It’s hard to reconcile how Ashley might even still be contemplating Carver as head coach otherwise, but surely it can’t happen now after this awful run of form, the fans surely would revolt and the EPL place put in too obvious a jeopardy.

• Lindisfarne

May 1, 2015 at 11:53 PM

““But I am the man in the position and they see how I am dealing with things in general, in the football club, in a difficult time, with a difficult group.””JC

Why does everything he says make sense without making sense?

• Lindisfarne

May 1, 2015 at 11:59 PM

““We told him he wasn’t good enough as a manager, we didn’t say the actual words because that would be disrespectful”” (T Boy)

So he had no reason to justify how seven defeats in a row makes him the leading candidate?

• Lindisfarne

May 2, 2015 at 12:08 AM

“”By hook or by crook, I want this, and I want to make a go of it.”” attributed to JC above

I have seen many people and had the same experience myself; wanting something and getting the opportunity do not mean that you are capable.

• Mister Tuff

May 2, 2015 at 12:09 AM

Interesting thing I read last week was that Mr Tubbs is going to appeal the SFA fine of £7,500.
    It is not known whether he is going to appeal the amount of the fine (unlikely) or whether it is the finding of guilt (probable).So it looks likely that it is the SFA ruling about dual ownership that he may challenge.
    If he was going to sell NUFC you might think he would not bother challenging the SFA – just a thought.

• Lindisfarne

May 2, 2015 at 12:14 AM

Senior T

I can’t imagine it is the amount of the fine that troubles him but playing the long game he is likely to be testing the resolve / principle of the ruling. He does not need to go hell for leather, keep the lawyers ticking over with the SFA and wait for the current Rangers owners to run out of money.

• N1CK06

May 2, 2015 at 12:21 AM

“I want to be manager of this football club, because of what it means to me”

This is all Carver needs to say, with this quote everything is clear.
    It says:
    – He cares more about himself than Newcastle United
    – He cares more about being manager next season than about being relegated
    – He cares more about Ashley and Charnley than the fans although claiming to be a fan himself
    – He sees his job as is more important than the happiness of over 50,000 die-hard fans and whatever it is they are protesting about, it doesn’t matter.

• N1CK06

May 2, 2015 at 12:33 AM

If deep down Carver is a true Geordie fan he would know that walking away from this at the end of the season and being 100% honest is the best way he can help this club, and help himself.

How good would it be if his final interview with the club admits he reveals his true colours and speaks out against Ashley and co? Then I would at least have some respect for him when I see him go.

• Lindisfarne

May 2, 2015 at 12:37 AM

If Real can do it to stop the best team in the world, why can’t we stop Leicester?

DJ Pat Nevin on the wheels of steel.

• ronniegillsbackpage

May 2, 2015 at 12:43 AM

Carvers not the problem, it’s the business model.he’s set the club up to maximise publicity for his company,cup runs are not needed ,Europe is an expense he will not need,he has no affinity with the city ,club, or supporters,
    ……. Oh I give up, sick of the bloke now ,I’ll just sit this period out 🙁

• james589

May 2, 2015 at 12:47 AM

From how this has been reported on other sites, he was making a joke with reference to the general election on May 7th as opposed to saying he will get appointed next week. Comments taken out of context. Not that he doesn’t want the job of course…

• Lindisfarne

May 2, 2015 at 12:56 AM

JC is guardedly trying to say it how it is but fails to realise that he is not good enough, not just the players who he supposedly trains. Yes you can have a good rapport with a player and get him to improve; you can train hard and have a crack; you can specifically pin-point an area of weakness or need; but JC has proven he lacks the authority to lead the group as a whole.

LLLLLLL
    2:3, 1:3, 0:2, 0:1, 1:2, 0:3, 0:1
    4 goals scored and 15 goals against just shows that he hasn’t got it, despite the injuries. Moral, organisation, set piece defending, routines and combinations are all absent and have been for too long. JC has been the man on the training pitch for a number of years, with very little to show for success.

• jimmysmith

May 2, 2015 at 12:58 AM

I think Carver, is suffering continuously as a result of lack of experience with the media and having his words scrutinized and then taken out of context and used in isolation against him quite unfairly.

He’s in a tough spot, players aren’t helping much and it’s doubtful he’s anywhere near capable even if they were, but he didn’t ask for this, it was thrust upon him, and of course he’s having a go and now wants it. Isn’t that enough, without having to distort things to him to mock and rubbish him.

• stuart no9

May 2, 2015 at 1:04 AM

i hated saturday afternoons listening to the drivel that came out of pardews mouth week in week out, win or lose, tosh seemed to flow with regular inaccuracies from the arrogant smooth talking man spouting his own importance as if NUFC owed him a massive favour, however . nothing, absolutely nothing can rival our future HC when it comes to arrogance, self importance, ignorance and most of all pretension,

Carver becoming HC at newcastle would be a travesty , not just at this club but to the premier league in general,
    Is this the standard the best league in the world are now starting to adopt – won 2 in 15 lost 10 is the target set to become HC to one of the biggest clubs in europe.

Lets be honest, who on this blog could achieve what carver has achieved these last 4 months, in fact , who on this blog could have done a better job on the pitch and infront of the media than carver has ? my guess is , quite a few of us actually. For carver to hold this position is nothing short of fraud , it cant happen , however take pards 8 year contract into account, nothing is unbelievable at this club anymore.

• Mister Tuff

May 2, 2015 at 1:11 AM

Lindisfarne – trouble with Mr Tubbs is that nobody knows what he’s up to – then suddenly he plays a curve ball – catching everybody by surprse.

• Lindisfarne

May 2, 2015 at 1:11 AM

JC gladly took on the role and is seemingly unwilling to relinquish, despite the seven game loosing run of form. He specifically stated he was happy to work with the players at the club and in the structure that existed,

• Lindisfarne

May 2, 2015 at 1:19 AM

Actions are defined by decisions,
    Outcomes are decided by inaction.

I only have to watch NUFC play to realise this.

• Toon Tang

May 2, 2015 at 1:27 AM

Would love to lock Carvs and Pearson in a room together for a few days and monitor the situation. Could yield some interesting findings.

• stuart no9

May 2, 2015 at 1:27 AM

jimmy smith @22——-” he didnt ask for this , it was thrust upon him” you are joking ? never in my time watching football have i seen a man produce enough saliva to actually cleanse 2 rather large bottoms with 1 swift flash of the tongue. He not only cleaned their bottoms , he patted them with talcum powder then inserted marital aids to satisfy their lurid pleasure,
    Thrust into it my a”se.

• lesh

May 2, 2015 at 2:04 AM

The man’s round the bend. Barking mad.

I’d St Nick’s still open?

• lesh

May 2, 2015 at 2:08 AM

And if, heaven forbid, Ashley does appoint Carver as HC, might St Nich’s have the space to take an even bigger idiot?

• Sav

May 2, 2015 at 2:37 AM

‘Election next week’?? Wha???
    Maybe people will have more respect for Keegan who knew when it was time to go and never would be accused of hanging on past his welcome. THAT takes courage, not brown-nosing and digging in like a tick. JC should have some dignity and at least offer to leave after screwing up in the top job.

• Sav

May 2, 2015 at 2:41 AM

Is that how his players are? So after another drubbing, JC says ‘Willo, you were f****g useless.’ and Willo says ‘I was brilliant, me. I should be playing for England.’
    That’s about the level of this nonsense. I for one can’t be bothered to listen to any more s***e from our temporary HC.

• Troy Stavers

May 2, 2015 at 2:50 AM

You couldn’t make it up.

It looks like someone has been copying my catchphrase on here. YCMIU.

Some people have no original craic.

FTSOTB (For The Sake Of The Blog)

• lochinvar

May 2, 2015 at 3:26 AM

Well JC I can’t sleep and wake to read your latest drivel and wonder if I am now actually awake or in the middle of one of those feels like a real nightmare !
    However thanks for the reminder about the election which is likely to plunge the country into another indecisive, money grabbing , finger pointing mess by gobby deluded politicians with self inflated opinions who care only for themselves.
    It seemed a familiar theme comparable to another fine institution NUFC but then again we are only the voters.
    I like the look of the SNP – Save Newcastle Please , seems a vote winner to me.
    Yawn.

• lochinvar

May 2, 2015 at 3:38 AM

Lesh @29
    You may have a point there, ” barking mad ”
    All I can say is
    “When the seagulls follow the trawler, it’s because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea. Thank you very much.”

• headtheball

May 2, 2015 at 3:41 AM

woof! woof! Troy alert

HWTFNUFC-HWTL

• jimmysmith

May 2, 2015 at 3:57 AM

Stuatr, @28 He didn’t ask for it. He was asked to do it, he said yes, as you’d expect, and he wants the opportunity to continue, which is perhaps misguided.. Given his record, you’d think most by far would hope Ashley will not give him the chance. So no, not juking.

• terencelim

May 2, 2015 at 4:54 AM

And Pawl250 is still smelling and licking Ashley ass.

• Troy Stavers

May 2, 2015 at 5:08 AM

HTB

Ed has offered to pay me 10pence a post on his site but Toonsy has upped it to 11pence. Don’t worry, I’m staying on the other side. I’ve bought everyone on Toonsy’s site top of the range tracksuits, with our names on the back, with the money I make.
    We’re a professional outfit. For special occasions, I have bought white linen suits and trilby’s.
    We are the smartest bloggers of any club. I’ve heard you lot are still shopping at Sports Direct and all wear Donnay lilac and burgundy shell suits and white baseball boots with the tongues flapping.
    You need to ask Ed for a pay rise! 😀

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

May 2, 2015 at 6:42 AM

I told you Carver is nothing but an opportunist!

…he would drag is through hell and back to get that job 😉

He is nit being used by the job, he is just equally using them for his own selfish gain.