Massive Percentage Of Fans Wanted Carver Fired

We are running a poll to see what fans think about John Carver being kept on to manage the final three games of the season, after losing the previous eight league games, and having won only two games in the 17 games he has managed at the club this year.

john carver in dugout

John Carver – fans wanted him fired

A massive 95% think that John should have been fired and another coach brought in.

Steve McClaren didn’t want the job, but surely there was an experienced coach who would have come in and tried to save Newcastle for the final three games – that would have been a great challenge – and they would have been well compensated for it.

Should John Carver Have Been Fired By Now?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

It’s interesting to compare the results with the one we ran asking if John should be the permanent head coach at Newcastle, although this poll was taken some time ago,  and well before John went on a record-breaking eight Premier League defeats on the trot.

Should John Carver Be The Head Coach At Newcastle?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Belfast

May 4, 2015 at 10:29 PM

Big Ron is available and Andy Townsends contract with Itv is not being renewed.

Dream team.

• toonicle

May 4, 2015 at 10:31 PM

Why did Shola have to go to Palace? I’d take him as player/manager at the drop of a hat right now, can’t get any worse and he might actually instill a bit of fight in them to play for him, unlike that mute Colo who just wants back home.

• jimmysmith

May 4, 2015 at 10:32 PM

You might imagine that Ashley now realises his minimum goal of top ten falls woefully short of the mark, considering these last two relegation threatened seasons, characterised by the loss of the teams best player and then coach because of it, and the boycotting of matches by fans, along with a catalog of shameful displays on the pitch from disenfranchised players.

I think the minimum requirement is clearly to try as hard as you can, with everything you’ve got.

• Belfast

May 4, 2015 at 10:33 PM

Nobody is daft enough to take it.
    Lee Clark probably the only bloke who’d be seriously interested.

• jane

May 4, 2015 at 10:36 PM

AP said Shola was the leader in the dressing room.

• roblee7

May 4, 2015 at 10:45 PM

Imagine Shola trying to teach Riviere how to be a striker? There’s my opinion on that suggestion

• beermonkey

May 4, 2015 at 10:47 PM

jane

he also said old strolla was very clever I have read that elsewhere not just from pards

the club are not interested in former players they should have made there peace with shearer ages ago he could work with our strikers part time

people like strolla and harper if coaching is what they want to do they could be with us and we should be sending them to places like barca and other top clubs around the world learning what these teams do and how they do it

• Ciaran

May 4, 2015 at 10:47 PM

Ibiza from a few threads back,

The problem is that attending games should not be considered “doing your bit” – if attending games meant that for 90 mins our fans were roaring the team on, giving MA both barrels and making it uncomfortable for the away side then I would have a different view. But to claim that attending SJP to sit on your arse, say nothing, do nothing, and then boo at the final whistle is just outrageous.

So to claim that we need to be accepting of all views is just plain wrong, and to take this middle road for fear of offending match-day attenders for the sake of “unity” is the very definition of appeasement.

Ask Neville Chamberlain how well appeasement worked in the 1930s.

• jane

May 4, 2015 at 10:47 PM

most managers would struggle to do that!

• jane

May 4, 2015 at 10:55 PM

I don’t really want to get involved Ciaran but shouldn’t it be accept other views but disagree with them. it hasn’t quite got to a war situation.

• toon22

May 4, 2015 at 10:57 PM

If MA thinks people are going to bother themselves to watch uuter shite for another 8 years he is mad.

We amy be loyal but we can be fickly and downright angry,if he thinks he can do us over and not retaliate he is living in some kind if dream world.
    He never saw the bad old days,lets hope he wont have to.

• Ciaran

May 4, 2015 at 11:01 PM

Jane

I accept that people will exercise their free will to go to games. I massively disagree with it so I am at that stage and always have been. It is naive of me to think that everyone will stop going to SJP so I have to accept that people will disagree with my point of view, but they need to accept that I will disagree with them.

The general principle stands – appeasing someone when they are categorically wrong is not the right thing to do.

• jane

May 4, 2015 at 11:03 PM

MA knows other people will go instead especially if ticket prices are lower. football especially the premier league is a very marketable commodity whatever the quality.

• Macas

May 4, 2015 at 11:03 PM

Ciaran – So are you saying that if fans attend matches and don’t make tons of noise the whole way through then they are deserving of abouse on here?

• Ciaran

May 4, 2015 at 11:05 PM

Macas

Who said anything about abuse?

• Ciaran

May 4, 2015 at 11:05 PM

Macas

Less still about “tonnes” of it.

• BandB

May 4, 2015 at 11:05 PM

Hi Blackley

Your reply is so lengthy and detailed, it seemed odd to post it two or three threads back where few would read it. I hope you don’t mind me reposting it here.

Blackley and Brownlie // May 4, 2015 at 10:47 PM

Ibiza/BandB

You ask, “Blackley…Do you consider your opinion more valid than those who are too infirm, old, or poor to attend regularly?”
    BandB asks if I grade fans 1 to 10.

I think the answer to those questions is in what I’ve said previously and I’d just be repeating myself, which I find I’m doing often already.

I keep repeating but it seems to get lost. This is not an issue for me until fans start turning on each other. There’s nothing wrong with expressing an opinion for or against the merits of a boycott. But when one fan slags off another or criticises another for putting money in Ashley’s pocket by buying a ticket, I question who they are and where they come from because a fan that does that doesn’t understand what makes those other fans tick IMO.

They might not understand because they’re simply armchair fans or here today gone tomorrow fans or fans from outside the area who have never supported their own home town club and don’t know what it means to do so.

I give Huddersfield as an example. I’m a Geordie who supports his local club. That’s a special thing. Some people may not understand that but many will. If I now went to support Huddersfield every Saturday for the next 10 years, I would still never feel I was qualified enough to tell their fans whether or not they should boycott a game, never mind slag off those who didn’t.

I’m not a Yorkshireman. After 10 years of me following, there’d still be fans of 20, 30, 40, 50 years support who will have a different perspective and a one that I could never have. Some people can live in a village for 30 years or more but they’ll still be treated as an outsider. Nothing malicious. It’s just how it is. Call it anthropological. But it’s why I can’t criticise the natives.

As I say, some fans from outside the area love the club. Like other fans, they may not be able to travel to get to SJP on a regular basis or even at all. If you ask me whether they’re better supporters than a native who never goes to games on his doorstep and couldn’t tell you the result of a game (and there are a good few), I’d say they’re much better. I’d rather have one of them than 10 locals whose radar never flickers.

But it boils my p!ss when youngsters or non natives, or natives who should know better tell long standing, committed fans who have been through thick and thin that they’re doing it all wrong.

• jane

May 4, 2015 at 11:06 PM

can’t disagree with anything you say there Ciaran 🙂

• Macas

May 4, 2015 at 11:08 PM

Ciaran – That is the whole point Blackley has been making, the criticism of fans who attend matches. And you said ‘to claim that we need to be accepting of all views is just plain wrong’. I didn’t mean abuse of the name calling kind, but that there has been quite heavy criticism on here of fans who go to games.

• Blackley and Brownlie

May 4, 2015 at 11:09 PM

Ibiza/BandB

BandB asks if I grade fans 1 to 10.

Ashley is a cockney. He’s a here today gone tomorrow man. I’ve been here decades before him and I’ll be here long after he goes. Someone like him is not going to stop me watching and supporting Newcastle United.

• Macas

May 4, 2015 at 11:12 PM

Ciaran – You said that yourself in different words, so I’m not sure why you’re disputing it. And why did you highlight the word ‘tonnes’?

• Ciaran

May 4, 2015 at 11:13 PM

So it doesn’t actually matter if you’re a native then Blackley does it? The only criteria you’ve laid down is that a supporter loves the club.

You’ve called non-natives who love the club better supporters than a fickle native. Would you accept the opinion of a fickle native regarding boycotts over the views of a passionate outsider?

Does being a native really mean much with regards supporting your “home-town team” when really the only ability one needs is that of empathy? If you can empathise when someone wants to support their home-town team yet still disagree with them for so doing, what say you to that?

Are Geordies genetically unique to other people that they are beyond the realms of human understanding that is universal among us all?

Or do you just dislike me to such a degree that you’ll construct a wishy-washy answer to your bullshit just to disagree with me, when in your heart of hearts you know your entire premise is built on bullshit?

Answers on the back of a stamp please mate 🙂

• Ciaran

May 4, 2015 at 11:14 PM

Macas

You use abuse, I use criticism. Do you really not understand the difference in connotations?

• BandB

May 4, 2015 at 11:14 PM

Blackley,

That’s the whole point about your arguments getting lost.

I don’t want them to get lost, and my offer was all about giving you an opportunity to explain what makes you tick. I think what makes you tick is a very pertinent question.

You have used a lot of phrases during those arguments, like “armchair fans” and “those who have never been to SJP in their lives” and “natives”

The opportunity is for you to explain how and where you rank these people in relation to each other. I really do think it would remove some of these misunderstandings and misrepresentations.

• jimmysmith

May 4, 2015 at 11:15 PM

Whether someone thinks, or believes, or feels others are categorically wrong, hardly makes their own argument categorically right though, even if it hasn’t been well refuted, and certainly not regarding, NUFC. How could they be so well informed from the outside looking in and largely from a singular perspective. When I encounter someone certain of their own rightness I instinctively start eyeing the exits.

• Ciaran

May 4, 2015 at 11:15 PM

Macas

And said fans who go to the games blindly deserve the criticism they get. If that offends your delicate sensitivities I am simply going to come out and say it:

I really don’t care.

• Ciaran

May 4, 2015 at 11:17 PM

Jimmy

Seems you’re more interested in seeing the flaws in someone’s argument as opposed to constructing a coherent one yourself.

• jimmysmith

May 4, 2015 at 11:19 PM

Where did that come from Ciaran, your head or your gut?

• Macas

May 4, 2015 at 11:20 PM

Ciaran – I merely asked your position on the matter, I didn’t say I would be offended. And you still haven’t explained your bizarre highlighting of the word ‘tonnes’

• Ciaran

May 4, 2015 at 11:22 PM

Anyway, I’m off to bed. There’s often a tendency to play the man not the ball on this blog and it’s ever so tedious. Bloody look into the merits of the discussion, clamber of the f**king fence, stop being afraid to offend people and perhaps we’ll get some semblance of a structured nuanced view to the whole situation.

For what it’s worth, I have looked into the various reasons as to why someone would attend SJP, or why they would be reluctant to give up their season-ticket; I’ve had many discussions with friends who have STs and it has been explored in great depth. After all is said and done, I still disagree with them wholeheartedly.

But what do I know? I’m just a non-native armchair fan so full of his own sense of rightness that you all should be eyeing for the exits.

Cue “tonnes of abuse”.

• Ciaran

May 4, 2015 at 11:24 PM

Jimmy

I can understand why you’d ask – being someone so utterly alien to constructing a coherent argument I can see why you’d be confused as to where one would come from.

• jimmysmith

May 4, 2015 at 11:28 PM

Ouch!

• Macas

May 4, 2015 at 11:29 PM

Ciaran – You say play the man not the ball but you’re the biggest culprit of that on this blog, just tonight you’ve called someone an arsehole and have presumably tried to correct my spelling by annoyingly repeating the word “tonnes’. For what it’s worth I think you’ll find both uses of the word are correct. Of course that had nothing to do with what I actually asked you, but if you want to try and be a smart arse then feel free. At the end of the day you just make yourself look like an idiot who thinks he’s better than other bloggers.

• Sav

May 4, 2015 at 11:38 PM

Of course he should have been fired. He should have had the courage to stand down. But at this stage with the suspensions etc. it is mainly down to luck. QPR will be gone by the time we play them. 2 strikers (if you think Riviere a striker) away to in-form Leicester was plain stupid. A point would have been a good result. Now, with what is left of our defence, we will need a lot of luck.