Statement Wholly Inadequate Given Seriousness Of Situation

Lee Charnley has held two days of frank discussions with Carver, the players and maybe even the tea lady, to try to sort things out after the disaster lats Saturday when we were humiliated – yes again – at Leicester and lost 3-0.

lee charnley close-up

Charnley shows his inexperience as top Executive

This is the Newcastle statement just issued:

Following the result at Leicester City on Saturday, there has been two days of frank dialogue with John Carver and senior players.

The outcome of those discussions is that the Board, John Carver, his staff and players are absolutely focused on our current situation and the three hugely important fixtures that remain this season, two of which are at St. James’ Park.

That is the only focus at this time.

When the Managing Director has to call in the head coach and some of his senior players and coaches to sort out the conflict going on in the dressing room – that points right at the head coach and Carver should have been fired.

It’s also obvious that Lee doesn’t fully understand just how angry fans are at him, Mike Ashley and John Carver for the nonsense that had been going on all this year.

This is the first time this year the club have made any official statement about the perilous position Charnley and others have got the club into this year.

Putting out that shallow and rather self-serving statement is nowhere good enough to get the fans fully behind the club for the final three games of the season.

There’s been absolutely no communication coming from the Managing Director all year, and he has let this situation fester so much that we are now 4th favorites to be relegated after we had 26 points after 19 games before Pardew left.

And all Carver had to do was to get 14 points from the last 19 games to get us to safety, but he will not be able to do that.

We have 9 points from 16 league games he has managed and out goal difference has gone form -6 to -24 the second worst in the league – that’s how bad it’s been.

This shows Lee’s lack of experience at the Executive level – and putting out that statement is not enough – and if anything it will make our fans even more angry.

If John Carver is staying on, we’re not sure how the club can get the fans behind them now – we hope that will be possible – but we don’t know how.

For example, if we go one or two goals down on Saturday, the fans will be after John Carver again – just like they were during the last home game against Swansea – when he complained about being abused and not being protected by the stewards.

And there are likely to be protests against Mike Ashley again – and all that will not be helpful to trying to win a game.

This is now a three game catastrophe just waiting to happen, and this statement just released is wholly inadequate given the extreme seriousness of the situation.

• BandB

May 4, 2015 at 2:25 PM

REPOST

Thank God Ashley’s prudent spending hasn’t risked us doing a Leeds or a Portsmouth.

The worst we can do is a Wigan.

• Our Toon

May 4, 2015 at 2:27 PM

Munster

Got to disagree with your sentiments regarding MA and whether he’s bothered if we went down or not. He is bothered as it will hit him in the pocket, the problem he has and has always had is that the MA, Charnley etc were to arrogant to believe we’d be in this situation so never had a back up plan.

No forward thinking no planning, now they need a new man in and no one wants to touch us. Nothing has been learned….absolute jokers

• Tinman

May 4, 2015 at 2:28 PM

Call me crazy but I still don’t think we will go down. We will find a point somewhere, don’t ask me where but we will.

As to the rest of the club it’s an absolute disgrace. We are pathetic. We have played the worst football in the league for 2 seasons now and with Carver in charge we have looked despicable.
    It’s embarrassing beyond measure. I hope everyone stays away for the last 2 home games

• Average_Contents

May 4, 2015 at 2:28 PM

Is that it? Give over you bunch of amateurs. Fcuking guff.

• Belfast

May 4, 2015 at 2:29 PM

We need 3 points tinman due to our goal difference

• dok - the horrid colonial

May 4, 2015 at 2:31 PM

QUOTE – ‘All parties accept responsibility for the current situation but are determined, together, to ensure this Club – your Club – retains its Premier League status.’

WHAT HE MEANT:

all parties accept responsibility for the current situation, but are determined to keep NUFC in the Premier League, to ensure the millions keep rolling into Mike Ashley’s bank account.

however, the fans, with their protests, are the real culprits… accept the scraps we give you, and be grateful, or suffer relegation, again…

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

May 4, 2015 at 2:31 PM

So what’s our stance as a united fan-base? And where do go from here?

Any thoughts? What’s the news in cyberspace?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

May 4, 2015 at 2:31 PM

…I am going to take a few days of frank monologue!

• Belfast

May 4, 2015 at 2:32 PM

The statement has actually made things worse.

We’ve got faith in you John, but only because the bloke who we wanted to replace you with has told us to f off.

• BandB

May 4, 2015 at 2:33 PM

jesper,

Well I guess that means your “target” Carver campaign has hit the buffers for now 🙂

• Sliema

May 4, 2015 at 2:34 PM

Carver is not to blame. Yes he’s a moron and he’s damaging us immensely at the moment, but he’s a bloke from the city who was offered the managers job, of course he should’ve taken it and of course he isn’t going to walk away either.

He is absolutely 100% out of his depth though and is very much alone at the club. The players are taking the absolute p out of him, the fans want him out because he’s inept and a tool, the board might appear to be on his side, but don’t worry John, it’s nothing personal, they’ll hang you out to dry if it helps them out at all or saves them 50p.

I feel sorry for the situation he is in.

• BandB

May 4, 2015 at 2:36 PM

Belfast

It has made things worse.

Though the statement didn’t say his job was safe until the end of the season. They could easily need a re-think in a week if the results go against us again like they did last week.

• hibbit

May 4, 2015 at 2:37 PM

Mcclaren refused to meet charnley last night he then phoned his chairman and reported the illegal approach…….derby are furious newcastle did not talk to there chairmen first they are blaming there drop in form on these rumours and uncertainty created by newcastle

• scottoon

May 4, 2015 at 2:38 PM

You couldn’t make it up.

Only NUFC can do that.

• Ron Knee

May 4, 2015 at 2:40 PM

Tinman
    You’re crazy. (No offence!)

• hibbit

May 4, 2015 at 2:41 PM

carver should never have been offer the job charnleys call his head should roll

• Tinman

May 4, 2015 at 2:43 PM

Hahaa Rob Knee. Maybe I am. But I have faith in how bad Sunderland are.

Belfast, as it stands we don’t need any points.

• Toon Tang

May 4, 2015 at 2:43 PM

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

May 4, 2015 at 2:44 PM

BandB…alot of things have hit a buffer right now as we stir relegation right in the face!

…this is no joke and clearly bigger than Ashley

• toonluvva

May 4, 2015 at 2:44 PM

Just a thought.

What if we somehow avoid the drop and that awfully nice Mr Ashley decides to spend a lot of cash in the summer having cleared out the dead wood from our team?

Will the fans reappraise their opinion of him, or are we always going to hate hime.

BTW, I’m no Ashley apologist. Far from it. All I have ever wanted from him is to show the same interest in my club as he does in Sports Direct.

Is that too much to ask?

• toonluvva

May 4, 2015 at 2:45 PM

*hime =him

• lochinvar

May 4, 2015 at 2:46 PM

Now you say you’re lonely
    You cried the long night through
    Well, you can cry me a river, cry me a river
    I cried a river over you

Now you say you’re sorry
    For being so untrue
    Well, you can cry me a river, cry me a river
    I cried, a river over you

You drove me, nearly drove me, out of my head
    While you never shed a tear
    Remember, I remember, all that you said
    You told me love was too plebeian
    Told me you were through with me and

Now you say, you say you love me
    Well, just to prove that you do
    Come on and cry me a river, cry me a river
    ‘Cause I cried a river over you

• JackButler

May 4, 2015 at 2:46 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is the last call for the Mike Ashley Gravey Train, stopping at the Championship, League One, League Two and Oblivion

• Toon-Prodigy

May 4, 2015 at 2:47 PM

My two cents is McLaren has been asked and said no so they come out and back John. Can’t imagine John would be happy about it all it will take is a text to Steve to see if he has been asked. Maybe John is completely in the loop and knows of asking McLaren..

Actually i’d be astounded if we had tried to get McLaren in. They don’t move off their arses. But saying that, they are desperate and it’s the only time they shift.

• scottoon

May 4, 2015 at 2:48 PM

Tinman – I too have held out (in the recent past) that we were safe from the drop. But events of this weekend now make it apparent that all is lost. The complete capitulation on the pitch, the utter nonsense that spews from Carver, the headless chicken management from Charnley……it only adds up to one thing. The hierarchy is doing more for the scum’s chances than Advocaat needs to do. Imagine the motivation they must get from looking at the mess up the road.

• Pokat

May 4, 2015 at 2:48 PM

We must get three points because so far the laws of probability have been repeatedly stamping on our nuts lol once we’ve sunk it won’t be easy to surface again oh no.

• Ron Knee

May 4, 2015 at 2:48 PM

How will United fare against Huddersfield?
    – Win
    – Lose
    – Draw
    Vote here.

• Graeme

May 4, 2015 at 2:49 PM

What the NUFC Statement SHOULD have said –

. . . . .”Having spent two days trying to get anyone to replace John Carver, nobody we approached was prepared to take on the role, following the result at Leicester. As a consequence, the board, John Carver. . . . . . . “

• JackButler

May 4, 2015 at 2:49 PM

Toon-Prodigy

Chances are Ashley bawlked at the compensation price for McClaren

• Pokat

May 4, 2015 at 2:50 PM

If we gave Charnley and Carver a granny, two needles and a ball of wool I still don’t think they could knit us a result.

• sickandtired

May 4, 2015 at 2:51 PM

Simply put, the almost instantaneous defence of SD following the recent documentary proved where the Clubs Board were most concerned.
    The ownership and management are an utter disgrace. This IS OUR Club and it’s time they started acknowledging that fact instead of allowing it to be ran as Ashley’s unwanted b@stard child.
    Anyone still believing in this regime needs to get a reality check and get behind the Ashley Out movement. The longer that man and his cronies remain at this Club the longer this humiliation will continue.

• Ron Knee

May 4, 2015 at 2:51 PM

Graeme@28
    Underline “anyone”.

• Pokat

May 4, 2015 at 2:52 PM

Ed I think it wouldn’t be time wasted if you started typing up your templates for match day posts against championship sides. Might as well be prepared ha ha

• hibbit

May 4, 2015 at 2:52 PM

Walking on cobbled stones
    Little bits of skin and bone
    Jumping on a tram car for a ride

I can remember then
    ‘Cause I was a just a boy of ten
    Hanging around the old Quayside

Now all the capstans and the cargo boats
    And Stevedores are gone
    To where all the old ships go
    But memories, just like the sea live on

‘Cause that was when coal was King
    The river was a living thing
    And I was just a boy but it was mine
    The coal Tyne

For this was a big river
    I want you all to know
    That I was proud

This was a big river
    But that was long ago
    That’s not now
    That’s not now

My father was a working man
    He earned our living with his hands
    He had to cross the river every day

He picked up a Union card
    Out of the Neptune yard
    Mouths to feed and bills to pay

There came a time for him to sail
    Across the sea and far away
    And finally when that war was won
    You brought him home and home he stayed

And when his days were done
    Under a golden sun
    You took him back to where he longed to be
    Back to the sea

For this was a big river
    I want you all to know
    That I was proud

This was a big river
    But that was long ago
    That’s not now
    That’s not now

That’s not now

The Neptune was the last to go
    I heard it on my radio
    And then they played
    The latest number one

But what do they do all day
    And what are they supposed to say
    What does a father tell his son?

If you believe that there’s a bond
    Between our future and our past
    Try to hold on to what we have
    We build them strong, we built to last

‘Cause this is a mighty town
    Build upon a solid ground
    And everything they’ve tried so hard to kill
    We will rebuild

For this is a big river
    I want you all to know
    I’m so very proud

This is a big river
    But that was long ago
    That’s not now

And this is a big, big river
    And in my heart I know
    It will rise again
    The river will rise again

Songwriters
    NAIL, JIMMY

Published by
    Lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group, BMG RIGHTS MANAGEMENT US, LLC

Read more: Jimmy Nail – Big River Lyrics | MetroLyrics

• Belfast

May 4, 2015 at 2:53 PM

Tinman at the moment yes, but I fancy the Mackems and Hull to get one more win, so we would need one more win.

If Leicester hadn’t of went on this run the bottom 3 would basically be gone already.

• Reyantoon

May 4, 2015 at 2:54 PM

Sliema @11
    Gotta agree with you there mate.I guess or obviously it’s Lee’s fault for putting him in charge in the first place.And that shows how LC lacks football management capabilities.It’s a panic situation.Nobody want his club to go down to the championship.However, it seems they don’t even care if we go down.

• geordieboy83

May 4, 2015 at 2:55 PM

I’d have a bit of faith in us staying up if f*+k nugget carver knew what he was doing. Players take some responsibility granted but carver plays Taylor and Jonas in cm rather than abeid and Anita two naturals. Ppl complain about sissoko but he must be disheartened himself playing a midfield by himself. Cabella flatters to deceive but knows the position. I’m fairly sure if we line up with

Colback. Abeid
    Cabella. Socks. Perez

we would fair better than we did against Leicester.

I summise the tool has absolutely no clue what he is doing

• JackButler

May 4, 2015 at 2:55 PM

Lets be honest, if any half decent manager was approached to take over at NUFC, given the state we are in, they would all turn us down as we are club that destroys reputations.

If we did make a ove for McClaren and he turned us down, can anyone really blame him?

• hibbit

May 4, 2015 at 2:56 PM

newcastle lose 5 in a row in there local derby with gateshead head coach john carver said we will be ready for the home game this cant go on

• usmagpie

May 4, 2015 at 2:56 PM

You know what really pisses me off, John Carver says he loves the club because its in his blood being a Geordie. Well if that the case can he not see that he is killing the club and would he not as a fan and someone that says he bleeds black and white stand down so the club has a chance to stay in the premiership, he himself could tell Mike and Lee get someone in now as I am killing off the club. If they don’t have the stones to fire him then he should have the stones to stand down for the love of his club.