What A Calm Shearer Said About Carver And The Players

Alan Shearer talked on BBC Match of the Day about the terrible situation Newcastle have got themselves into this year – and especially since our last win against Villa on 28th February having put  a painful string of eight defeats together.

Alan was cool, calm and collected even though we know he must be hurting inside because of Newcastle’s current situation – we certainly are!

Alan Shearer

Alan Shearer – 44 year-old Newcastle legend

Alan has blamed the players for not performing and hasn’t said too much about Carver’s coaching abilities:

“I’m pretty sure that he’ll be expecting a knock on his door from the players he accused of lacking the bottle to be in a relegation fight.”

“Having said that there’s not really a lot players can say that, because to have lost the number of games on the spin – eight game now for Newcastle – the players aren’t performing so they cannot go and have an argument with the manager on that.”

“What they will say is that you’re out-of-order putting that in the public domain.” “My feeling is, my guess is and I don’t know this is that he’ll probably understands that he night not or he wont be there next season, and he’s tried to be all nicety nice to the players to protect them.”

“And he’s thinking I’ve got to change something if I’m going to go down, I’m going down fighting my way – not the players way – because they’ve had it too easy for too long now.”

“That is a huge accusation John made about Williamson, it’s always a dangerous time for a manager to speak when they are raw after a performance like that was lacking effort and was lacking passion and commitment.”

“And for a manager to go in there and say what he did to his players and then come out and say that to the press is a massive statement – I would love to be in the dressing room on Monday morning.”

But Alan is a smart man and it wouldn’t be right or proper of him to even talk about John’s coaching after Alan himself only got us 5 points in the last eight games of the season – six years ago.

So the Newcastle legend did well to stay away from that.

But Alan has probably talked to John about the situation, so we are probably getting the real deal on what John is thinking.

So John will do it his way – and watch for Carver is his next press conference to tell everybody:

“I’m going to do it my way and if we are going down I am going down fighting.”

See how close his words this Thursday are – and John may even spice it up a bit to make himself look even better and even braver.

• optimistic prime

May 4, 2015 at 11:30 PM

Take a kin bat to them John, especially the mop top flop.

• Macas

May 4, 2015 at 11:31 PM

Ciaran – You say play the man not the ball but you’re the biggest culprit of that on this blog, just tonight you’ve called someone an arsehole and have presumably tried to correct my spelling by annoyingly repeating the word “tonnes’. For what it’s worth I think you’ll find both uses of the word are correct. Of course that had nothing to do with what I actually asked you, but if you want to try and be a smart arse then feel free. At the end of the day you just make yourself look like an idiot who thinks he’s better than other bloggers.

• Pokat

May 4, 2015 at 11:31 PM

Tbf to big Al he got suckered with the same poisoned chalice, he knows how this feels. Just like Shearer, poor JC’s fate was sealed when he accepted the job. Mike is the king of deflection ha ha

• Belfast

May 4, 2015 at 11:32 PM

Hmmmm interesting article in the daily mail about Saturdays events

Mike Bassett Newcastle manager for sure

• Pokat

May 4, 2015 at 11:33 PM

Optimistic – ha that reminds me of a Viz headline about an assassination attempt on one of the Beatles ” Top Pop Mop Top Pot Shot Plot Flops” lol

• lesh

May 4, 2015 at 11:34 PM

Judging by the rate that Ed and his lads are churning out the posts, I’d guess they’re just a tad pipped at the wsy things are panning out.

Dr Ed, take a leaf from Carver’s book….. Tranquillo before you blow a gasket.

Well, maybe not a leaf from Carver’s book, but maybe from one of IBM’s guides?

Or, watch Easy Rider, the message is there, we’ll never beat the ba****ds!

😉 :/

• Belfast

May 4, 2015 at 11:38 PM

You ever hear the one about old methods not working on modern day players…

• Graeme

May 4, 2015 at 11:38 PM

What does Carver actually want? Sympathy? Empathy? Or a .375 Magnum, 1 in the chamber and a dark room?
    The man has lost the plot. He doesn’t have what it takes. I think he now knows he doesn’t have it, but is frightened to admit it.
    John, for your own sanity, for your family, just resign, tomorrow and go home.

• Sav

May 4, 2015 at 11:47 PM

Steve Harper did more tonight to help Newcastle letting in 3 for Arsenal than Carver has in 3 months. Harps has his badges and whoever gets to replace JC should bring him in as his TerryMac.

• Blackley and Brownlie

May 4, 2015 at 11:49 PM

Ciaran’s just praised himself as to how reasonable he is in an argument. He reasons and nothing more.

He then goes on to call me a bullshitter etc, which makes no argument at all.

He then complains about bloggers playjng the man not the ball. I just find it incredible. I’ve never come across anyone like him in my life.

I can’t believe that nobody else sees it or takes him to task. It’s bizarre. I’m pleased you’ve made the point.

He says he’s been in Newcastle for three years. But how many times as he been to SJP? I ask only because of his preaching about how fans should support the team in the stadium. Has he ever been? If he has, what did he do?

• jimmysmith

May 4, 2015 at 11:53 PM

Because you’d never hear the end of it, and this is only a football blog after all.

• Toon Tang

May 4, 2015 at 11:56 PM

All press conferences and no defending from set-plays makes Carvs an angry boy…All press conferences and no defending from set-plays makes Carvs an angry boy…All press conferences and no defending from set-plays makes Carvs an angry boy…All press conferences and no defending from set-plays makes Carvs an angry boy…All press conferences and no defending from set-plays makes Carvs an angry boy…All press conferences and no defending from set-plays makes Carvs an angry boy…All press conferences and no defending from set-plays makes Carvs an angry boy…All press conferences and no defending from set-plays makes Carvs an angry boy…All press conferences and no defending from set-plays makes Carvs an angry boy…

• Average_Contents

May 4, 2015 at 11:56 PM

I don’t get what honest john’s on about from the previous thread.

When he says there are 1915 fans who would do the same as him does he mean manage the club? Is he trying to endear himself to the fans yet again.

I’ll fight for it?

What is he referring to when he says “it”

The club?

The job?

I think we know don’t we. Selfishness personified. Your not good enough.

There’s new stories floating around wherein honest john offers to resign, the club sound out wolly with the brolly but he says no or ignores them completely then the club release THAT statement saying john’s staying.

Players having meetings without coaches, coaches having meetings without players, penfold holding meetings without one or the other then all together then finally all in agreement that the club comes first and everything’s fine.

1) there’s no way on this planet that penfold held so many meetings, he doesn’t even know where the training ground is FFS the no necked slimeball.

2) honest john, the geordie, the right hand man to Sir Bob, the man who’d put up with anything, DO anything, SAY anything, wouldn’t moan, if he had the tools we’d be flying, no other manager ANYWHERE could of got more out of the players than him, would not offer to step aside.

Super john. Hurrah!

• Macas

May 5, 2015 at 12:01 AM

Blackley – I haven’t read all the comments on the blog tonight but he has directed personal comments to at least 3 other bloggers that had nothing to do with the topic being discussed. This is after he started crying the other day when he accused me of doing the exact same thing, even though I was only responding to comments he had made. He says he has been to the ground numerous times but as long as I can remember on the blog he has been proudly boycotting, so in the last 3 years it can’t have been that many. Not that I’m bothered either way how many times he has been. I don’t treat him any differently to any other blogger on here, if I disagree with a comment someone makes i will do so regardless of who it is. Apparently it’s acceptable to criticise fans who go to the match though, but if he receives criticism for anything then that is unacceptable. That seems to be the gist of it.

• Average_Contents

May 5, 2015 at 12:07 AM

There’s even more ludicrous stories floating round now of some players have told their loved ones to stay away because it’s really scary at SJP.

Blaming the fans again.

There seems to be an undercurrent at the club where the fans get blamed for everything.

First the slug

Then the king

Honest john saying he can’t do his job properly

Now the players are scared.

It’s not the slugs fault. No.

Fcuking pathetic, funnily enough just like the team that the slugs cobbled together.

• Toon Tang

May 5, 2015 at 12:30 AM

belfast, I was reluctant to click that link hahaha

I can see a lot of John in Mike though or should that be the other way around. Cracking film either way. Pissed myself the first time I saw the bit where he goes to the window bollock naked.

Wonder if the press will ever get Carvs at his window in a similar fashion. Eurgh…

• Blackley and Brownlie

May 5, 2015 at 1:01 AM

He seems like the sort of bloke who would be invited into someone’s house for the first time and immediately start to rearrange the furniture and even throw some of it in the bin. He’d tell them that the stuff was sh!t anyway and what right do they have to complain given that he’s being kind enough to sh@g their daughter who’s no tin of peaches. As he’ll be coming more often, he might as well have the place the way he wants it and not like something out of the f’n 1980’s.

“Well what year is it anyway you tosser? Aye 2015 not 1980. Or do you want to argue that it’s 1980, do you? Can you hear Band Aid? No. Neither can I. So what does that tell you, Billy Bullsh!tter? So don’t be argumentative. I’m not and never have been so why should you be?”

“I show respect. It’s not my fault if you can’t see I’m doing you a favour. Think yourself lucky I left your tatty curtains. You’re not going to tell me they’re classy are you? I think you must be obsessed with me the amount of complaining you’re doing. Anyway I’m off to bed. I’m not going to argue with you moaning bastards all night. Man up and stop crying you miserable ar$eholes. Goodnight”

• lesh

May 5, 2015 at 1:36 AM

Who is The Secret Footballer?

Reading this, it’s somebody who’s reasonably articulate and knows the City and may have played for us?

First thoughts have always led me to Joey Barton but….

Any thoughts? Any ITKs?

• Sazzer

May 5, 2015 at 2:14 AM

Secret guest then at the end of the article…You can follow Andrew on Twitter – @aforsythSA

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

May 5, 2015 at 2:22 AM

lesh…Dave Kitson

• Sazzer

May 5, 2015 at 2:36 AM

That’s not the guardian guy on that link.

• Canny in Canberra

May 5, 2015 at 4:21 AM

Lesh @ 20
    “Need I even mention the relegation we endured in the 2008-09 season.”

If they weren’t or didn’t feel connected wit the club they wouldn’t have said We Endured. I think Barton is as good a guess as any.
    Lot of truth in it too

• lesh

May 5, 2015 at 4:32 AM

Good spot @24.

We can add ‘….Carver – appointed head coach until the end of the season – can keep US up is …..’

It’s definitely someone with a connection.

Jesper….. You’re up late, why Dave Kitson?

• one fine day

May 5, 2015 at 5:26 AM

Just an for your next blog poll Ed
    Should John carver be sectioned ?
    Just a thought like

• Chris

May 5, 2015 at 5:52 AM

Looking at his twitter bio I’d say he’s a Jesus freak living in South Africa. Doesn’t sound to me like he’s one of our ex players:

Andrew F-T

Living for Jesus! Writer for @Newcastle_FC! Big Fan of the Bokke, Sharks, Orlando Pirates, Bafana, Proteas, Juventus,Powalines FC…

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

May 5, 2015 at 6:01 AM

lesh…I just remember quite a few boxes checked 😉

• Santon03

May 5, 2015 at 6:03 AM

I have to say this, I have been trying not to say it but John your IQ is kinda low. You are honest and you get my sympathy because you are a geordie and you really love this club no doubt about that.
    Instead a lot of talking, he should just drop the players, I know that there are not many choices but better bet on unknown quality youngsters rather than betting on sure thing that you know you will get cr@p.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

May 5, 2015 at 6:09 AM

lesh…I have to admit I haven’t paid attention to the secret footballer for a few years maybe!

*I had to finish a rapport late last night and parts of it had to be en readable English 😀 that kept me up and I think it tired up Ibiza ad well! lol

• nut meg

May 5, 2015 at 6:18 AM

The secret footballer,my guess is……. Ian Dowie.

• cyprus

May 5, 2015 at 6:36 AM

Will 35 points be enough, like some had said on the blog? Doesn’t seem so.

Nerves jangling!

Since we are Coachless, the players will have to do it themselves: Full field pressure, defend in numbers, fast counters, attack in numbers.

And, don’t play the usual culprits…

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

May 5, 2015 at 6:59 AM

I just want to add I pointed out this predicament we are finding ourselves in a few weeks ago…the general consensus was “it’s not going to happen”!

…we are stuck with Carver getting closer and closer to relegation all because we are too little too late!

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 5, 2015 at 7:02 AM

But that article isn’t by the secret footballer, so anybody looking for clues in it is going to get lead down the garden path. As Sazzer says, it is by some A Forsyth.

I’m more concerned then I have been, but I’ve maintained we will pick up points, and still think we will – although I’d be surprised if Sunderland got more than a point from their remaining matches.

• Lindisfarne

May 5, 2015 at 7:02 AM

Seems to me that alot of contributors are disgruntingly accpting that nothing will change.

No doubt there will be more and more rhetoric about the team needing the fans, in order to fight of relegation. The Club will be asking for the fans to put their differences to one side. Is this not the very situation that the protests have been working towards?

It is a gamble around how badly does MA not want the club to fall, but surely now is the time to negotiate. Now is the time to strengthen the resolve. Now is the time to demand a resolution for change.

There have been protests in the past that have petered out at the first signs of non compromise from the club, due to dissolution and undying support for the team. However, if there were three demands from fans that were possible for the club to accept and be accountable to, what would they be?

• Santon03

May 5, 2015 at 7:21 AM

I think we’ll be okay looking at sunderland fixtures unless we are in very bad luck they get 2 or more points. I think we will get 1 or 2 points, it won’t go to 10 loss in a row, if it does then I fully blamed the players not Carver.

honestly what can MA do with 3 games left? All he can do is for next season imo. Right now, it’s just up to Carver and the players. All of us can suggest change manager but what can new manager do in very short time with depleted squad? Even if Mourinho in charge for last 3 games, it’s extremely difficult with this kinda of squad. the players we can rely on are all injured and suspended, we are left with what we got right now.

• Santon03

May 5, 2015 at 7:22 AM

I really want sunderland to go down after that damn plane.

• Lindisfarne

May 5, 2015 at 7:23 AM

Possible demands that would unite fans and improve the relationship with the club:

1) The occupant of the Supporter Liason role should ultimately be descided by the Fans Forum.
    2) The Supporter Liason should have a seat on the Board with an equal vote on decisions made.
    3) The exclusive advertising of SD should be payed for through a reduction in the ‘loan’.

• Lindisfarne

May 5, 2015 at 7:28 AM

What can be done? The stadium could be full of fans cheering on the team if a little hope were to return. Unfortunately the club is counting on the loyalty of supporters to bend to their will.

• Mag52

May 5, 2015 at 7:29 AM

Keep focused bloggers.
    Tempting as it is to go after the stooge, Mike Ashley is the man who is destroying our club, has always been the man and will continue to be the man unless we can somehow get rid of him.