Newcastle’s New Top Choice For Head Coach Identified

The Telegraph are reporting that Newcastle want to hold  talks with Real Madrid assistant coach Paul Clement about becoming the Tyneside club’s new head coach in the summer, and that’s been forced on the club by the refusal of Steve McClaren of Derby County to come to Newcastle.

It’s also coupled with the disastrous reign of John Carver as interim head coach, with Newcastle now in really dire straights, and we could be relegated from the Premier League on May 24th.

paul clement

Paul Clement – new number one at Newcastle

Paul was linked with Newcastle earlier this year and he certainly has the credentials to become a very good coach at Newcastle United, although he has never been the top coach at any club.

Paul was born in Wandsworth, London and the 43 year-old is highly regarded for his coaching abilities, but whether he will want to coach Newcastle United now is a good question.

He’s has a lot of experience of coaching at various clubs including Fulham, Chelsea, Blackburn, Ireland, PSG and Real Madrid, where he is currently, but they have all been as an assistant or as youth coach.

Other clubs like QPR, Sunderland and West Ham are also looking for a new manager in the summer, and have also been linked with Paul.

The Hammers seem to be the favorites to lure former Everton and Manchester United manager David Moyes, who seems to want to return to England and the Premier League from his short but successful time at Real Sociedad.

This is what Paul told ITV Sport in March on his future ambitions:

“My own ambition is someday to be a manager or a head coach in my own right. Hopefully that will be sometime soon,”

“I’d like to go back to England and work, I’ve had a fantastic experience working abroad both in France and Spain it’s really broadened my knowledge as a coach.”

“And culturally as a person as well it’s been a fantastic lifestyle opportunity and experience.” “But I really see the best opportunity for me to go back and work in England.”

But I don’t rule out other opportunities in other countries. I have an open mind to things – but I think my best chance would be there because coaching in your own language where you’ve got the feel and the emotion as well is going to be the best for me.”

Paul Clement would still be a risk however, because he’s not had the experience of  being the top man at any club – and that mirrors John Carver’s experience in January, and as we know Carver has been a disaster this year for his home town club, losing 12 games of the 17 games he’s coached – and the last eight in a row.

But it’s doubtful that any coach would accept the head coach position at Newcastle until they know whether the club will be a Premier League club or a Championship club next season.

It’s a disaster waiting to happen for the Magpies, and unless John Carver can turn around an eight game losing streak, which is extremely difficult under any circumstances – it’s looking like we will take the drop.

If we do lose again on Saturday at home the WBA, it wouldn’t be a surprise if Mike Ashley tries to bring in a new coach to try to save the club from relegation over the final two games.

But that would be seen as a panic move – and we should have done that about four weeks ago, when Carver was already struggling, and we were getting hammered too often.

And we should have done that on Sunday after eight defeats on the trot, but it could be yet another disastrous decision seemingly made by Lee Charnley to keep Carver in charge.

Do they really think he can turn it around when he’s already lost the dressing room and has absolutely no experience in a situation like this?

Come on – let’s get real – John is flailing badly.

But the owner may have  to try something – anything – to save the club if we lose again on Saturday for the 9th time in a row.

Don’t believe those who saying relegation (again) would be good for the club – it would be a total, complete and utter disaster for Newcastle United.

🙁 🙁 🙁

• John Tudor

May 7, 2015 at 12:18 AM

he wont come now as ashleys got us going down and wont come in championship either

• John Tudor

May 7, 2015 at 12:18 AM

• Belfast

May 7, 2015 at 12:19 AM

Run Paul run.

• optimistic prime

May 7, 2015 at 12:23 AM

From one coach with no expirience to another.

Fare enough clement may have a better pedigree but it looks like it’s the cheapest option to me.

Champions league to Championship that’ll be good for broadening his coaching expirience.

• Graeme

May 7, 2015 at 12:24 AM

Ed, thats probably the first thing you have got right in several days!!!

“If we do lose again on Saturday it wouldn’t be a surprise if Mike Ashley tries to bring in a new coach to try to save the club form relegations but that would be kind of a panic move – and we should have done that about four weeks ago.”

He should have done it 8 weeks ago and you should put up the poll we all want to see. “Are Newcastle fans right in continuing their boycott – Yes or No”!!!!

• Alternative Headline

May 7, 2015 at 12:36 AM

I’m not that arsed about a poll any more. The Chronicle’s done one if you’re interested & that’s probably a truer (less militant) cross section of the general football goers. Ed’s made up his mind as has virtually everyone who comments on here whatever side they sit on

• Online Guy

May 7, 2015 at 12:49 AM

I said I would not return to St James Park until Ashley had left the Building and the Club

Well I’v decided to disregard Ashley in all this…
    F**k HIm

I’m going to roar on Newcastle United with all I have against west brom.

My boycott will Resume next season if He is still here

Let’s actually suspend the boycott for the last 2 games

If Ashley out . com put out a statement to say they are suspending the Boycott they will gain much credence in the press and Various Media world wide and be looked upon as a responsible thinking entity.

What say You Ashley out . com ?

Ashley out .com to me are all Hero’s doing the right thing
    and for the right reasons ..

Can I now appeal to you to do something really Heroic . ?

• Canny in Canberra

May 7, 2015 at 12:55 AM

Online @ 7
    Lets do everything we can to support the team and try to stay up. If we do go down then that is just more ammunition for the Ashley Out lot next season and we will have at least done the right thing by the club. For as much as it may or may not help at this point.

May 7, 2015 at 12:59 AM

There’s nowt heroic about that
    online guy.

Boycott the remaining games, if we go down then so be it.

• headtheball

May 7, 2015 at 1:08 AM

Give us a poll Ed.

• Online Guy

May 7, 2015 at 1:12 AM

Dirty Mag

I respect your view ..its the same as mine ..I detest Mike Ashley

Thing is some of us are getting older and do not want relegation at any cost ..I realise it might get rid of Ashley if we go down he does not want to be tinged with failure ..or maybe he does not care ,.

One thing I do Know is Ashley out Lad’s have made one hell of a point world wide. and I’m with them all the way but I think right now we need to disregard Mr Fat B’astard ..and make certain we give every thing to OUR Club..

Suspend the Boycott statement from Ashley out . com would show many good virtues in our thinking fan base

We will be looked on as responsible fans.

My Boycott will continue, as long as Ashley is here. At this serious point in the season I’m suspending my boycott for our Team and City’s well being,

I’m getting right behind ……..THE TEAM.

• Uncertain Toon

May 7, 2015 at 1:29 AM

• Online Guy

May 7, 2015 at 1:29 AM

g’day Canny In Canberra , hope you are well

Do you fancy running away together ? x

• Lindisfarne

May 7, 2015 at 1:37 AM

How different is Clement to Steve Clarke?

I have actually heard him speak about himself and he seems a honest and reasonable man. He will certainly identify the deceit, peddling of half truths and more than likely reject any approach. Unless they keep to whatever outlandish promises they make in order for him to sign. Definitely gets my vote of approval.

• Lindisfarne

May 7, 2015 at 1:47 AM

The next three matches are against teams in the lower half of the league and should be fairly confident about beating. The Team do not NEED the support of the fans to produce a winning performance. The Players own individual pride should make them NEED to win for themselves.

• jimmysmith

May 7, 2015 at 2:01 AM

The protest will continue, a percentage will choose to return to support the side for the final two games, you’d hope without any rancour from those who choose not to, although some is inevitable.

The more contentious point is how much heart and desire will be on show on the pitch, to give the fans who do go the incentive to cheer. The players have to put in first and foremost.

• Sav

May 7, 2015 at 3:01 AM

One feature about Clement coming in fresh to the managerial role is that it is unlikely he’ll be bringing his own team behind him. That makes him a much more attractive bet to Charmless and Monster Mash and a lot less promising to fans who want a root and branch clear out.

• Shot Bru

May 7, 2015 at 3:03 AM

WBA are $2.80 to win with ladbrokes…yet more easy money…

No decent coach is ever gonna work for Ashley and his crew..especially not Clement!!

Why would any decent up and coming coach ruin their reputation by coming to work for Ashley!!

• dexter53

May 7, 2015 at 3:04 AM

He’ll dee for me.

• headtheball

May 7, 2015 at 3:16 AM

” Comments welcome ”

There will be no reader instigated polls on this blog by order of the management.
    Reminds me of Hale & Pace.

I don’t want to select the submit button below the comments box because that is all we have ever done until now as NUFC fans.

HWTF Ashley Out

• N1CK06

May 7, 2015 at 3:46 AM

Those who think the protests should be delayed, what happens if we get to the final game still on 35 points? Then what happens to the protests? Do we wait until next season? I don’t see any point protesting outside an empty SJP between seasons..

The reason the protests are important now is because we need to look at next season and future seasons.. Regardless of which league we are in, if nothing changes with the upcoming transfer window policy (which is most likely under Ashley), we are still going to have a weakened squad, cheap inexperienced managers, and continue to play terrible football.

Does it really matter if you can’t watch televised Championship games in your country? It’s not like you will be missing out on quality football.. Even watching post-game highlights will give enough to give a taste of the poor quality team we have become under Ashley.

• Our Toon

May 7, 2015 at 4:20 AM

Those considering returning to SJP to “support the lads” should remember we are in this mess because of the lack of support the club gets from the regime. If your support was really that important amd guarantees us points then can someone considering going back please explain to me what has happened in the other 33 games before the boycott.

If you want to see the team win, then carver needs to pick the right personnel, Raylor shouldn’t be anywhere near the starting XI. It’s about the XI out there and we left Cabella, De Jong and Abeid on the bench last week and preferred Jonas and Raylor ahead of them. All the support in this world can’t compensate for idiotic team selections which already give the opposition the advantage before a ball is even kicked!! 11 Colbacks is what he wants and that’s what he’s got, 11 headless chickens chasing the ball without any real end product or attacking threat!!

• cyprus

May 7, 2015 at 5:05 AM

Momentum picking up I see.

Sorry, not joining die welle. It’s fine by me to support any goal, but to hope my team loses every game, to say I don’t care if my team goes down, can’t do. I’m desperate for them to win the next game. Sick and tired of ruined weekends of football.

• Chris

May 7, 2015 at 5:08 AM

Lindisfarne @15

Yes, he’d get my vote too, but I think he’ll end up somewhere better than Ashley’s NUFC.

“Paul is the best manager I’ve ever had on the training pitch. He prepares training brilliantly and manages the exercises properly—the best assistant I’ve ever had. He has all the quality, all the skills and all the experience to be a manager. I know one day I’ll have to say goodbye, and that could be the day that I stop and go on holiday.”
    Carlo Ancelotti

Good read:

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

May 7, 2015 at 5:52 AM

I think we might have to accept Carver is the HC!

…if they really wanted to change that it had been done already…waiting is just reckless and flirtatious with relegation!

Stupid is what stupid does I suppose 😉

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

May 7, 2015 at 5:55 AM

Cyprus…just detach for the last 3 games!

…go do something worth while with your weekends 😉 that’s what I am going to be doing!

Let ’em dig themselves out of this mess!

• frankie

May 7, 2015 at 6:24 AM

Can’t brlieve how “out of touch” the writer of this blog is. Stay up and we get more of the same get relegated ànd there might be a 10% chance of change. I’m continuing to boycott my season ticket seat. Relegation won’t hurt like the previous ones I’ve experienced.

• Ron Knee

May 7, 2015 at 6:52 AM

As usual, the club ended up by doing nothing on Sunday/Monday. This was an another missed opportunity to save the situation. Team morale will continue at rock bottom and we’ll most likely lose the last three matches. This is very frustrating as a new coach would have given the team a psychological boost.

• lesh

May 7, 2015 at 6:54 AM

So what’s happened to Reme Garde? Has he been kicked into touch because he’d want to bring his own back-room staff with him?’ Hiring that little team’d and bladdering Carver’d, dare I say it, cost money!

C’mon Ashley get the axe sharpened!

• MidlandsMag

May 7, 2015 at 7:02 AM

Very short sighted view. If nothing changes, you will be sick and tired of ruined weekends of football next season as well.

• Jail for Ashley

May 7, 2015 at 7:07 AM

Like the 79 others from within football who applied for the job as soon as they sat down with Churnley and heard the restrictions they would have to work under, they have given it a wide berth. People on here have said for years, so and so is used to selling players, so and so is used to promoting from the youth system. Not one of these so and so’s have been told that winning a cup will be frowned up on as statistically it is damaging for the club, not one of them will be under instruction to stay out of Europa and if it’s looking likely the campaign will be derailed. In the past they would have kept that to themselves, but the cat is well and truly out of the bag now and managers are turning up demanding assurances that the club won’t give. The only coach we will get in tge summer if we’re still in the PL is someone absolutely desperate for a job. Unless of course ‘The board” back down from their ridiculous stance.

• hibbit

May 7, 2015 at 7:16 AM

jail ashley wont back down the only way change will happen is when leaves that’s why we must keep boycotting short term pain long term gain…….. ashley out

• Ron Knee

May 7, 2015 at 7:17 AM

Yes, and the problem is there are plenty of desperate – and crap – managers out there!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

May 7, 2015 at 7:22 AM

Ron…I totally agree! Another missed opportunity by the board!

• beermonkey

May 7, 2015 at 7:33 AM

the could have changed there stance and released a statement in the summer backed it up with a decent defender and striker
    the baulk of last summers spending still would have been the cabaye and debuchy sales
    we still would have had money in the bank

• scout

May 7, 2015 at 7:40 AM

If Clement gets the job I will forgive Ashley all damage caused and buy a season ticket, I rate this guy so highly.

• mindshaft

May 7, 2015 at 7:41 AM

I tend to agree with suspended the boycott until the season end or we at least pick up 3 points – people thinking Ashley will sell cheaply if we get relegated are totally wrong – most players signed in the last few years have relegation clauses in place (after fatty got stung last time)
    He’ll basically gave a fire sale, load another 20 million of debt on to us
    Relegation will not be a rebuilding job but a complete disaster

• cyprus

May 7, 2015 at 7:46 AM

My weekends won’t be ruined if I’m playing v. Huddersfield and Rotherham and I get lost in the wilderness of the Ch.?

What a thrill! At least MA won’t be there, but there will be exciting, entertaining football with the remaining B team 🙂 Watching Obertan and Raylor and Arma, yes! 😉

Don’t get it. I’m missing the point maybe. But I definitely DO NOT want ‘R’! How on earth did it become acceptable as a tool to remove the owner?!

• beermonkey

May 7, 2015 at 7:50 AM

there are other things that can be done it doesn’t have to be a boycott

the crowd would be a bit more vocal if there was something to cheer about on the pitch until they start doing that its gonna be quiet in there