Don’t Blame Pardew – It’s Our Own Fault And Carver Not Up To It

Newcastle are in a very embarrassing situation at the moment because in this second half of the season, after Alan Pardew left, everything that could have gone wrong has gone wrong – and it wasn’t helped by some disastrous decision-making by Lee Charnley – one of which was to install John Carver as the interim coach through the end of the season.

freddy shepherd now

Shepherd – thinks – let’s try to blame it on Pardew

But Freddy Shepherd has come out today and said it isn’t Carver’s fault – it’s Pardew’s fault:

“People are having a go at Carver but he and Lee Charnley are under extreme pressure.” “Unless you’re there you don’t realise what the pressure is. When you’re the manager or the Chairman of Newcastle you feel a tremendous amount of pressure.”

“Pardew didn’t leave Carver any favors and he’s doing the best with what he’s got.” “I feel sorry for Carver and he has been harshly criticized, it is Pardew that must take responsibility for these players.”

Those are ridiculous comments and Pardew didn’t have any problem  with the players when he won six games in a row in October and November.

One of the big mistakes Lee Charnley made was to let Alan Pardew go, when he didn’t have an adequate coach to take over from a coach who has been in the management business since 1999 – and Lee has admitted that.

It’s really a bit rich to blame Alan Pardew for what’s happened – who was basically hounded out of the club by the fans via the SackPardew group.

It’s nothing to do with Alan – he left Newcastle and quickly saved Crystal Palace from relegation and has gained 17 points on Newcastle since he’s been at Crystal Palace.

It’s just so embarrassing for Newcastle United that we seem to have shot ourselves in the foot so many times this year and will probably be relegated after the most sensational collapse in Premier League history.

And the latest huge mistake was to keep John Carver in charge for the rest of the season – which in our view will almost guarantee relegation.

It’s always weak when you blame other people for your troubles.

The reason this is all so embarrassing to Newcastle is we have done it all to ourselves – that’s the truth – even though its extremely uncomfortable and even embarrassing.

I’m not the only Newcastle fan who must be completely stunned by the incompetence shown by the Newcastle executives this year in their decision-making – including not having the guts to sack John Carver last Sunday to save our Premier League status.

There’s something terribly wrong with the running of Newcastle United – from top to bottom – and it’;s got nothing at all, to do with Alan Pardew.

Comment welcome.

• Belfast

May 8, 2015 at 4:33 PM

Pardew was to blame for a lot of things but signing players wasn’t one of them.

Charnley and Carr are responsible for that ferk up.

• thejokethatisnufc

May 8, 2015 at 4:33 PM

F**k of fred

• toonking

May 8, 2015 at 4:37 PM

no don’t blame pardew, blame yourself greedy b@stard, you got us in this dept and you the one who sold us to ashley.

FCUK OFF

• lochinvar

May 8, 2015 at 4:37 PM

Don’t blame Pardew , rather blame lies here:

• JamesToon

May 8, 2015 at 4:38 PM

“It’s really a bit rich to blame Alan Pardew – who was basically hounded out of the club by the fans via the SackPardew group.”

HE LEFT ON HIS OWN TERMS AFTER A WIN.

Ed, you seem to becoming a bit of a copy cat, you don’t seem to have your own real opinion, every time someone in the media reports or makes a statement about newcastle you seem to agree with it, then it becomes your own view, like all of a sudden because there’s other people in the media saying how newcastle fans shouldn’t have wanted pardew out, with all this “be careful with what you wish for” crap, you seem to now agree with them, and all of a sudden you are blaming the fans, even though i remember when we were doing sh*te under pardew and you were even saying yourself that we needed a change of manager.

• hibbit

May 8, 2015 at 4:40 PM

pardue has to except some of the blame he was part of the problem for so long

• Blackley and Brownlie

May 8, 2015 at 4:42 PM

It’s nothing to do with Pardew? The man in charge of the football side of the club who signed off on the squad at the start of the season in glowing terms, excited by the prospect of a tilt at Europe.

Carver has no chance with a poor squad that has since been decimated. No attack. No defence. No wonder Carver’s losing the plot.

I love reading your constant pops at Carver, Ed. There’s undoubtedly truth in your polemics, which are most entertaining. Blackley will bring some balance.

• JackButler

May 8, 2015 at 4:42 PM

Let’s blame Pardew, let’s blame Charnley, let’s blame Carver, let’s blame the players – but first look at the common denominator and that is the man that employed them all – step forward Mike Ashley.

Lay the blame where it’s deserved

• barkel

May 8, 2015 at 4:46 PM

Pardew got us 7 wins in 19 league games, he wasn’t exactly seeing the league alight! He had set up the team for the year, I know he wasn’t in charge of transfer but he was in charge of the coaching & tactics that are still being employed by his coaching staff. It’s been a total waste of a season

• dok - the horrid colonial

May 8, 2015 at 4:48 PM

9am start tim ehere tomorrow… wonder what time I need to start drinking to stomach another loss… probably just stay up all nite tonight 🙂

• Ibizatoon

May 8, 2015 at 4:48 PM

Carver said: “I did go on record and say that Moussa Sissoko wasn’t going anywhere so that was pleasing.

“But to have a group of players that we have here now I am delighted. We are going to have problems this weekend because I will have to leave some people out of the 18 which is the first time we’ve had to do that for a long time.”

“I wouldn’t have thought so (whether any first team signing likely to be made in this window?) to be honest, I don’t get involved in it. I have not had any conversations about it though I have had many, many, many conversations about other things with Lee (Charnley).

“My job and my responsibility is to work with the guys on the pitch and I’m quite happy whoever comes in or whoever goes out to deal with what is put out in front of me.”

“I’m quite happy with that (deal to end of season), I came here four years ago on a four month contract and within a week I had got a five year deal . So getting a short-term contract is something I don’t have a problem with that.

“I’m quite happy with these conditions and I have enough belief in my ability along with the guys. The good news is we are getting players back so our squad is getting stronger and I’m really happy about that.”

• dok - the horrid colonial

May 8, 2015 at 4:49 PM

dear ed,

next time you post the pic of Ashley, can you photoshop horns, goatee and pitchfork please?

• JackButler

May 8, 2015 at 4:51 PM

Does anyone expect us to get anything tomorrow?

Personally I think Carver will oversee 11 straight defeats

• IndieGeordie

May 8, 2015 at 4:53 PM

For the last time Ed…

It was only a ‘Sack Pardew’ movement, not ‘Sack Pardew & Hire Carver After’ movement.

We all know who did the ‘Hire Carver After’ decision and the blame should totally be on them – Ashley & Lee. We fans are not to be blamed for the shambles we find OUR club in.

HWTF

• Offkey

May 8, 2015 at 4:55 PM

Call me stupid but I am betting on a win tomorrow, whether there is a protest or not.

• JackButler

May 8, 2015 at 4:56 PM

Offkey, you Sir, are stupid 😉

• Ibizatoon

May 8, 2015 at 4:56 PM

Indie….Plus it was Pardew that chose to leave after Ashley accepted an offer from Palace.

Sod all to do with fans.

It’s a funny old world, having to defend Pardew leaving.

JB…I hope they do, I am not hopeful they will however.

• JackButler

May 8, 2015 at 4:57 PM

Ibiza – Can’t see us getting another point mate tbh, it kills me to say that, but this whole mess is the worse I’ve ever seen at the club – and i’ve seen some really bloody messes.

From top to bottom we are rotten

• Ibizatoon

May 8, 2015 at 5:00 PM

JB…That’s how I see it too.

I have serious doubts, but let’s see how that “frank discussion” worked out.

• Graeme

May 8, 2015 at 5:03 PM

Huge credit to all who took part in this, but special credit to the Sunderland fans for all they have done in this regard.

• Belfast

May 8, 2015 at 5:05 PM

There’s always the possibility of West Broms keeper being sent off in the first five minutes and them not having a keeper on the bench.

Keep the faith

• Average_Contents

May 8, 2015 at 5:05 PM

Dok

There’s been loads of w@nk…I mean blank entries lately.

Ibiza

Who’s this “frank” you speak of? Is he any good? Don’t answer that.

LLLLLLLL

• Belfast

May 8, 2015 at 5:07 PM

Check out the size of their back four haha we’ll probably concede from quite a few set pieces. Probably every one actually.

• bill

May 8, 2015 at 5:08 PM

Pardew must take some of the responsibility for this mess. He put up with Mike Ashley’s tactics on running the football club. Surely, he could have made a logical business argument for buying in some better players than those currently at the club. They barely survived last year.
    It doesn’t take a brainbox to see that the current method of running the club isn’t right.

• beermonkey

May 8, 2015 at 5:08 PM

Ibiza

it is strange and don’t seem right some times to defend the king

there is a lot I blame him for but for where we are in the league no not really although we should have picked up more points at the start of the season

but Ashley and co had an opportunity to strengthen in the jan window either buying or loaning a player or 2
    they chose not to do anything that’s where I lay blame