It’s Bad News – Good News For Newcastle United

The bad news is that four  teams below us in the league table won their games today – Sunderland won 2-0 at Everton, Leicester beat Southampton 2-0, Aston Villa beat West Ham 1-0 at Villa Park,  and Burnley beat Hull 1-0 at the KC Stadium.

Burnley are relegated and Newcastle’s one point at home to West Brom gets us out first point in 9 games and only 4 points in the last 11 games – and this year under John Carver we have gone from 9th place to 17th place – and if we drop one more place that’s it – we take the drop.

jonas gutierrez west brom

Jonas Gutierrez in action today

So the bad news is that we lost ground for the second week running on Sunderland, Aston Villa ad Leicester who have won their last two games and gained a massive 5 points on Newcastle in just two games.

Here is John Carver’s record this year.

CompetitionPlayedWonDrawnLostGFGAGDPoints
League1934121835-1713
FA Cup100101-1
Overall2034131836-1813

Here are the latest standings with QPR relegated if they don’t win at Manchester City tomorrow.

PosTeamGamesGDPoints
Crystal Palace38-1242
16Bournemouth38-2242
17Sunderland38-1439
18Newcastle38-2137
19 Norwich38-2834
20Aston Villa38-4917

We cannot lose our last two games,  because the likelihood is Hull could still pip us by getting a win at either at Spurs next Saturday, or on the final day of the season, 24th May – at home to Manchester United.

Spurs are having a bad time of it at the moment and have only one win and three defeats in their last six games – and yes – that win was a 3-1 victory at Newcastle.

So we are certainly not safe, but it’s looking like if we can win one of our last two games – we are 5 points above Hull and they are unlikely to be able to win both their last two games.

If we lose the last two games, and Hull win just one of their last two games – maybe at White Hart Lane next Saturday afternoon, they will survive and deserve to, and we’ll take the drop.

If that happens we cannot complain after the disastrous death dive we’ve been in since late February.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against West Brom?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Ibizatoon

May 9, 2015 at 8:47 PM

Where’s the good news Ed? Is it that if we win one we’re safe?

• Ibizatoon

May 9, 2015 at 8:49 PM

“It’s been very hard for John because he works very hard on the training ground. I’m not very, very happy to get one point but it’s good for John to help him relax a little bit.” – Cisse

• cyprus

May 9, 2015 at 8:50 PM

The above MOM rating looks about ok, though Colb and Siss and Colo were better than Dummett.

If Raylor will continue to play he must work on his set plays. We had so many yet he made nothing of them, apart from that miskick that Perez picked up on

• optimistic prime

May 9, 2015 at 8:50 PM

I hope city smash Qpr, I if hate them to have something to play for next week.

• optimistic prime

May 9, 2015 at 8:53 PM

Ibiza

The best thing from Cisse today was when he said he’d be ready to start against Qpr after a weeks training.
    It’s nice to see he’s commited and wants to get on the pitch to help.

I’d SDJ out for the season now?

• cyprus

May 9, 2015 at 8:54 PM

I think QPR will beat us and we’ll get a point off WH. We’ll go down on goals ;( Hull will win one…

Hope not, of course.

• optimistic prime

May 9, 2015 at 8:57 PM

Cyprus

Jeezus Christ, let me enjoy the glorious point we go today.

I’m feeling slightly more optimistic, well I was

• Ibizatoon

May 9, 2015 at 8:57 PM

OP…I’ve always liked Cisse. He reminds me of the last time I really felt optimistic about the club. Been a rude awakening since.

Not a clue on Siem. My guess is, even he is fit, he’d likely just get injured before KO anyway 🙂 I hope he gets back soon – there isn’t much time left to go and his creativity I imagine is needed (didn’t watch the game – boycotted the armchair).

• firebug666

May 9, 2015 at 9:04 PM

We are in a sorry state these days, the hierarchy at the club have been licking their wounds, but that was never going to be good enough.

The club needed to heal, they need to change their philosophy on how the club should be run.

We need a new fit for purpose manager (not a head coach), we need a fit for purpose MD, and a descent DoF.

Thing is we needed them back in January, now it’s all just a little too late.

If it is the fizzy pop league for us, then we all need to thank Ashley properly, if he ever shows his fat fusking face up here again.

• Sav

May 10, 2015 at 12:42 AM

I hope I don’t see Riviere again.