This Player Has To Repay Newcastle In Last Two Games

Papiss Cisse got himself stupidly suspended for seven games in the game at home to Manchester United in early March, and that has been just one of the reasons Newcastle have struggled ever since – and especially in the goal-scoring department.

Papiss came on for the last 20 minutes on Saturday and saw the game out well, and he has finally lost that limp after having corrective surgery on the knee, while he was out suspended.

That was a good move by the club.

papiss cisse west brom at home

Papiss Cisse in action on Saturday

After all, Papiss Cisse has 11 goals in just 20 appearances for us this season, and even though he has missed a lot of games after having been out with that knee injury at the start of the season, he still has four goals more than second top scorer 21 year-old Ayoze Perez, who scored a great equalizer for us on Saturday.

One way Newcastle can survive is to have Papiss come in and get us some goals in the final two games – which he’s certainly capable of doing – and if we can do that maybe he can pay back Newcastle for missing the last seven games though suspension.

This is what the 30 year-old Senegal International has had to say:

“It has been hard having to watch what has been going on.”  “For half of the time, I have been in Paris because I stayed there to recover from my injury.”

“It has been very hard for me because it is not easy to see your team losing every week.” “You know the people well and you know how hard it must be for them but they have good, strong heads.”

“I know some people where, if they had lost all these games, they would be struggling to cope but this team keeps going and keeps working very hard on the training ground.”

“Now they have stopped the losing run, the next thing is to win.” “It was important to get something because the team have been losing every game.”

“The players have been sticking together and now we know we have to do something to save the team.” “I think it is a very good point but we know we need to win a game.”

“It was important that we got something from the game.” “It was not an easy game to play because West Brom stayed back a lot and weren’t really trying to play.”

“That didn’t make it easy for us but to get one point is positive because when you have lost eight games in a row you cannot go on like that.”

“There was a lot of desire in the team and now we need to keep on going.” “Maybe next week if we do that we will win the game.”

That would obviously be the very best thing imaginable if we can beat QPR next Saturday, and they are already relegated.

We would save ourselves if we win in London and Hull cannot win at Tottenham Hotspur, and it would also save the Newcastle fans from the potential agony of the final game of the season, if everything depended on the result with West Ham.

We remember well what happened six years ago at Villa Park and that was tragic, painful, heart-breaking and depressing.

We don’t want to go through that ever again.

Papiss – please score some goals for us next Saturday.

• Munster Mag

May 11, 2015 at 9:54 AM

And we have to get points from those games.” “It’s about a million times better.” “They weren’t beaten 3-0 and they halted that run of performances.”

I’m sorry but what in the name of God is he on about ?? This is how low we have obviously sunk ….we werent beaten 3-0 . Well jolly good boys!

Thanksfully the media are now aware just how awful Carver is ( see Ian Ladyman in Mail ) and the Ch4 programme on Ashley has finally shown people ouside of NUFC that this guy is terrible news for us and that its not fickle of Geordies to shout for him to leave. I have a bet on NUFC to go down sadly, but was optimistic about staying up at the weekend – solely because of Hull ( who really should have got more from the game ) . Now I think we will get two points in total from our games but am not sure that will be enough ??

• Ron Knee

May 11, 2015 at 9:56 AM

I think it’ll go down to the wire. It’s going to be a very long Sunday afternoon.

• Lindisfarne

May 11, 2015 at 9:58 AM

Good article from the mail posted earlier, alluded to the ‘best coach’ comment being out of context and JC not talking to the written press.
    “”This was not some giant leap forward for Newcastle United and their incapable manager. This was not a corner turned. To do that, a team has to win games, they have to affect their own destiny””
    A dose of reality is batted back in return with spin.

• jayphoto

May 11, 2015 at 10:23 AM

Carvers a journalists dream! They’re giving him an easy ride because its seen as a difficult situation hes been thrown into the deep end and is merely a coach filling in! His personal friendship with Lee Ryder has seen the chronicle go very easy on him with selection and tactics rarely questioned! Im sure if he gets the job full time the media will crucify him! His media handling whilst at toronto was film worthy! Like a ban stiller character!

• bobby mango

May 11, 2015 at 10:26 AM

Hull have Tottenham away, Man Utd at home.
    We have QPR away, West Ham at home.

Both our games are easier. If they can gain two points on us over those two games we deserve to go down. Sadly I can see it happening.

• lochinvar

May 11, 2015 at 10:30 AM

All we need now is for Carver to read the ” Every boys best Football Coaching Manual” and apply some of the advice contained therein.
    Alternatively he could tell the players not to hoof the ball in mid air to front players who probably have a less that 50:50 chance of winning it.
    Play the ball on the ground ( decks are on ships ) and pass with forward movement and cross when the opportunity merits it. Shooting on target and getting into the box are also useful tactics. Playing with some freedom and confidence is all recommended. A quick check of how Man City beat QPR down the flanks ( particularly attacking their left side ) with pace could also pay dividends. And get rid of the tracksuit John makes you look like as Sports Direct employee, but then again…

• jayphoto

May 11, 2015 at 10:30 AM

I don’t trust either man utd or spurs to do a job on Hull!
    I still think Sunderland will go down if im honest! Reckon Hull will get 4 points, newcastle 3 points And Sunderland 1 point!
    That’d put nufc on 39pts, Hull on 38points and mackems on 37points

• lochinvar

May 11, 2015 at 10:39 AM

To save money Ashley, Chanley, Carver and Stone have been put on zero hours contracts.
    They can now go home as there is no work for them and they are not wanted.
    We’ll let you know if anything comes up, perhaps at the Tranmere or Blackpool branch where there might be some seasonal work.

• Lindisfarne

May 11, 2015 at 10:41 AM

Who thinks Ryan Taylors ‘assist’ was his attempt at a flat, driven ball, in attempt to change from the more usual floaty looping efforts?

• Ibizatoon

May 11, 2015 at 10:45 AM

Good morning all,

Everyone recovered from the 1 point celebrations?

I’m still a little light headed.

• optimistic prime

May 11, 2015 at 10:47 AM

Either way I can’t wait for this season to be over, at the same time I can’t be arsed with another summer of false promises and jam tomorrow.

• Graeme

May 11, 2015 at 10:55 AM

Delirious Ibiza, absolutely Delirious!!!

• Ibizatoon

May 11, 2015 at 10:58 AM

OP…It would seem for some fans, they need to see what this summer provides. Have any mistakes been learnt from?

Other than blind faith or assuming because we have money in the bank that we will, I see nothing in the clubs actions to suggest things are going to change.

I feel we’re just about to start the next cycle, which could easily be considered as ambition, as it was the last time.

For me, it’s never been a quesiton of money / profit. That is and should be standard business practice. We’re a football club, that don’t make footballing decisions. We have no soul. Fans have no connection with the club.

Some new players wont change that for me, so I am still at a loss as to what we’re waiting to see.

• jayphoto

May 11, 2015 at 10:59 AM

@lindisfarne – actually think it’s worrying when Carver goes out of his way to mention how dangerous Taylors dead balls are! No doubt that’s why he’s getting the nod?
    Personally think he’s a horrendous ‘set piece specialist’. His goal and assist record throughout his career for a player that takes corners and freekicks is woeful! I’m guessing he bangs them in for fun in training maybe?

• Ibizatoon

May 11, 2015 at 11:00 AM

Graeme…The Ashley model works again.

Push people to the edge, let them see how bad it can be, give them a tiny shred of hope (a reduced level of hope) and then go again.

Over 8 years, as a fan base, we’ve come to accept a lot of things we wouldn’t have at the time.

Mike Apathy.

• Ibizatoon

May 11, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Sorry, auto correct….Mike Ashley…. 😉

• Graeme

May 11, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Ibiza @ 13 – Just because there is upwards of £25 million, plus this years profits to invest, doesn’t mean a thing.

To get me on board, He will need to clear out existing Coaches, every one of them and install either a Head Coach or a proven Manager, who understands tic tacs and can get the best from the players available and who brings his own coaching staff and develops a “Standard” of play for every team we have.

He would then need to invest in some quality players, such that we end up with a minimum compliment of 2 players who naturaly play in each position, ready to go, on the 1st day of the season.

I just don’t see it happening – Carver is the man, I expect another season of pain culminating in relegation!!

• optimistic prime

May 11, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Ibiza

This sums up how I feel ATM

• jayphoto

May 11, 2015 at 11:12 AM

@Ibiza – I reckon its not so much as see what the summer holds but see who gets the role as head coach!
    I think if Carver gets the job (I fully expect them to role out the ‘he deserves a chance after preseason with a full squad line’ then they will lose a lot of fans. Whether those fans come back will probably depend on the august fixture list!
    For transfers I’d expect similar to last season! a couple 0f 6-10m foreign players and some youth

• mindshaft

May 11, 2015 at 11:12 AM

Think Hull may well beat Spurs who look like they’ve given up for the season, they were awful against Stoke at the weekend and look like a team who are avoiding the Europa cup at all costs.
    That means we must beat either QPR or WestHam or at worst draw with both as I don’t think Hull will beat ManU.

QPR looked okay yesterday until ManU scored the second after which they fell to pieces – they will definitely cause us some problems

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 11, 2015 at 11:12 AM

Graeme,
    He would need to do that and more for me. It would take at least 2 years of developing and improving the squad, without sacrificing our best players each window for him to convince me.

1 summer window just won’t cut it for me.

• Ibizatoon

May 11, 2015 at 11:13 AM

Graeme…Fresh breath is an odd requirement, but we’re all entitled to an opinion mate.

What if he’s up to speed on normal mints, just not tic tacs?

• optimistic prime

May 11, 2015 at 11:14 AM

That’s me in the corner
    That’s me in the spotlight
    Losing my religion
    Trying to keep up with you
    And I don’t know if I can do it
    Oh no, I’ve said too much
    I haven’t said enough

I thought that I heard you laughing
    I thought that I heard you sing
    I think I thought I saw you try

Every whisper
    Of every waking hour
    I’m choosing my confessions
    Trying to keep an eye on you
    Like a hurt, lost and blinded fool, fool
    Oh no, I’ve said too much
    I’ve said enough

Consider this
    Consider this, the hint of the century
    Consider this, the slip
    That brought me to my knees, failed
    What if all these fantasies come
    Flailing around
    Now I’ve said too much

The lyrics to this song stuck a chord with me the other day, I feel helpless.
    I need the protests to start again so I atleast feel I’m doing something.

HWTF

• Ibizatoon

May 11, 2015 at 11:17 AM

Lil…That’s where I am at. I don’t like to say “never”, so the only fair chance I can afford Ashley is that he’ll have to walk the walk over a length of time before I could start to even begin to believe. Too much damage has akready been done.

OP…Tune. Sad connection to our predicament mind.

Jay…The coaching aspect is a huge part of all this. Can Ashley make a change away from the typical yes man? I don’t see it, but always will be glad to be proved wrong.

That’s where this whole Ashley thing is for me. He always has a chance to prove people wrong, but never does.

I don’t expect much change at all. There will be some movement to keep people guessing though.

• Ibizatoon

May 11, 2015 at 11:18 AM

OP…Not sure whether to laugh or cry about this line:

“I think I thought I saw you try”

Been there, done that. Mind, I didn’t buy the T-Shirt – it has Wronga on it.

• optimistic prime

May 11, 2015 at 11:22 AM

Ibiza

It’s a mess, that line stuck with me along with, I thought I saw you laughing.

Fat slug.

The players better get their act together this weekend. Time for talk is over for everyone, fans players and Ashley.

HWTF

• jayphoto

May 11, 2015 at 11:26 AM

@Ibiza – the annoying thing is Ashley could theoretically have both a yes man and a great coach/manager! There are some really top managers out there that work under worse constraints and worse owners than Ashley! Tuchel has never had a penny to spend in his managerial career, Klopp had to deal with selling his very best player every season, Galtier in france had a similar scenario! Remi Garde pretty much only had the youth team to take players from.
    The fans would accept an Ashley model if the football was right which is where hes got it wrong every time! Ashley doesn’t realise that give us exciting football, the odd youth player coming through and a team that tries and we’ll be completely distracted by the football to protest him! Just put Zden?k Zeman in charge. we’ll all be to exhilarated and out of breath after games we’ll be too tired to sing about Ashley!

• Graeme

May 11, 2015 at 11:27 AM

Ibiza – I think this one is better!!

• Ibizatoon

May 11, 2015 at 11:28 AM

OP…Not wishing relegation on us, but what is the desire for the team to get their act together?

I didn’t watch the game at the weekend. I don’t know what I’m supposed to be supporting anymore. The Newcastle that I fell in love with, no longer exists.

Nothing has changed since last week. The club are still in a dangerous position due to Ashleys running of the club. No effort has been made on the clubs part the past week. They just spent a bit of time doing some PR to blame / guilt fans.

Signs of change? I see none, therefore, I don’t see how or why we’re supposed to change our current stance.

• BoyDoneGood

May 11, 2015 at 11:32 AM

I was wondering whether the opinion of a number of boycott-supporters here that reduced crowds don’t significantly affect the players is supported by the evidence. Also, I wondered if there really are “52,000 sheep/zombies/****s” turning up every home game (actually that should be “50,000” since there are something like 2,000 away fans).

These are the figures for 2014-15:

8 matches had crowds of around 52,000. In those matches we scored 1.5 goals per match, and conceded 0.9. W6 D1 L1 = 19 points or 2.4 points per match.

10 matches had crowds less than 51,000. In those matches we scored 1.2 goals per game and conceded 2.0. W0 D4 L6 = 4 points or 0.4 points per match.

(The only time since Carver’s appointment that we had a 52,000 crowd was when we beat Villa – his only win.)

If I could be arsed I’d work out the correlation, but it must be north of +0.8 I guess. Amazing.

• Ibizatoon

May 11, 2015 at 11:39 AM

Graeme…Apart from the “sometimes” part 🙂

Cos every Geordie huuuuuuurrrtttsss…

Jay…I’ve never had an issue with the model. I argued it’s necessity for years on here. It’s not genuine though in my opinion. As you say, a glaringly obvious part of the model is to have competent coaches in place.

The club highlighted that themselves after Pardew left (see Charnleys statement). What did they do, give it to Carver, to see how he did. It wasn’t just a case of waiting for the right man, but seeing if Carver could be the right man for them.

Again, at any time, Ashley could have some life altering epiphany, but based on what we know, see, read, are left to assume, that hasn’t happened yet.

• optimistic prime

May 11, 2015 at 11:40 AM

Ibiza

I want them to get their act together because I saw SMB get promoted after beating us in the play offs. It took years to get over that and I couldn’t stand going down in their place. Fcuk that.

I agree nothings changed at the club, all that happened this week was a few of the players made tackles they hadn’t been making and ran round a bit.

When’s this fan forum supposed to be?
    Will there be a new mission statement?

It’s the anticipation of disaster that’s hurting me more than the disaster will.

• expatmag

May 11, 2015 at 11:42 AM

Morning Ibiza

Oohhh, were we playing last weekend? Must have slipped my memory somewhat…..lol

• toon kk

May 11, 2015 at 11:42 AM

If we do survive the drop, I urge people to Not renew their season tickets, go on a pay as you view basis until Mash shows some real ambition.
    I know people aren’t going to boycott, because with so many it’s about watching the team take part not the winning, or people wouldn’t have been going for a long time.

• Ibizatoon

May 11, 2015 at 11:46 AM

expat…That’s the point for me…the “we” aspect. We”re only a “we” when it’s convenient. Other than that we’re treated like a nuisance and have been pushed to the point where a lot of us believe we don’t actually matter that much.

Scandelous.

OP…I’m just an armchair fan, so couldn’t possibly understand. I did miss my two hours of comfort on my chair on Saturday though.

I get your last line, the fear and worry is usually worse than the reality.

• expatmag

May 11, 2015 at 11:53 AM

Ibiza

I will be back in blighty for a couple of weeks in September staying with my best mate who is a season ticket holder and lives in Low Fell.

When I told him I was coming over, he said he would get tickets for the match for me. I told him not to bother wasting his money on me because I have little interest in wasting any of the short time I have over there being bored to death with the utter crap being served up by a dysfunctional bunch of twats.

• optimistic prime

May 11, 2015 at 11:59 AM

Expat

It’s sad that a fan like yourself who doesn’t get back often feels that way.

Unfortunately we’re all customers in Ashley’s eyes and the customer is always wrong in his eyes.
    He beleives the customer needs him instead of the other way round.

• jayphoto

May 11, 2015 at 12:01 PM

surprised that the Janmaat to man utd rumours haven’t begun yet! They are actively looking for a rightback and are linked with a 28m bid for Clyne! Bet they could nab Janmaat for about 10-12m. For me he’s been our player of the year this year, he’d be an asset in a top attacking team! Think we’ll have a challenge to hold on to him as Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool will all be all looking to add a first choice right back. Southampton will be if someone is stupid enough to pay near on 30m for clyne also!
    Really wonder who will be still here next season!
    I can see Krul, Janmaat, Willo, Coloccini, Tiote, Sissoko, R Taylor, Jonas, Ameobi, Gouffran, Sissoko and possibly Cisse all getting moved on. That’s 12 players from a squad of about 23….

• expatmag

May 11, 2015 at 12:05 PM

OP

Newcastle United lost my interest a couple of years ago. When it was evident after the last relegation battle a couple of years ago that we needed to drastically improve the squad and the subsequent failure to do so.

I used to stay up until the early hours watching the team here in Oz but not anymore. Cuddling up to my sexy russian missus is far more appealing……lol

• bettyswallocks

May 11, 2015 at 12:08 PM

With regards to a decent new manager coming in, we’re better off campaigning for Carver to stay.

Ashley will only do the opposite to prove a point.