Carver Still Hopes To Be Offered Job 48 Hours After Season Ends

John Carver is still hoping he’s done enough this year to be offered the head coach position on a permanent basis,  and he expects he will know within 48 hours after the final whistle blows to end the season on May 24th when we are at home to West Ham.

It’s been another awful season for Newcastle fans, and we have brought a lot of this on ourselves this year – which make it even more difficult to take.

John Carver  in white_3151934b

John Carver – hope to get job on permanent basis

The 50 year-old was pointedly asked if he thought he would not get the head coach position now, because the club has plunged down the table under his short reign.

This is what John said:

“No, because I have the job.” “They have to take it off me now!” “But there has been nothing discussed. We have just focused on these two games.”

“I am going away on holiday on the Wednesday after the West Ham game so I would like to know where I am by then.”  “But I want no discussions from now until the West Ham game is finished.”

“I don’ t think it’s right, I think it’s important we have to keep all our focus on these games.” “Because of the circumstances I would love to see how anyone else would react.”

“I spoke to Tony Pulis after the game on Saturday and he said it was quite incredible what I’d had to put up with regarding injuries and suspensions.” ‘That is bad luck. It is not mismanagement by the club.”

“I had enough players. At one stage I had a full team missing. Our squad of 26 is not a bad size – not many people have 11 players missing at one time.” “But my pride has been hurt by the run of results. I want to do something about it in these last two games.”

The club was mismanaged in January by Mike Ashley and Lee Charnley, and Newcastle should not have allowed the squad to become even weaker – which is what happened.

Newcastle should have strengthened the side but we didn’t, and while it’s true we have had lots of injuries coupled with some stupid suspensions picked up by the indiscipline of our players – the squad was paper-thin to start with.

We’d be very surprised if John Carver gets the job full time, but Newcastle have made so many weird and illogical decisions in the last six months – we don’t know what they will do – and we know that Lee Charnley, Mike Ashley and Graham Carr all like Carver.

But the fans will hardly be pleased if a coach who has just two wins in 18 games and has plunged Newcastle into a relegation fight, gets the job full time.

But with this Newcastle club owned by Mike Ashley – you just never know what will happen – logic doesn’t seem to come into their decision-making sometimes.

John Carver has had a tough time of it this year, and we are just hoping he can keep Newcastle in the Premier League with at least 4 points in our final two games, and that will certainly help him regain some of his pride.

And John’s done his very best this year – we know that.

• optimistic prime

May 14, 2015 at 11:06 PM

Ac

You MULTIPLE

Admit it you’re ed!

• bettyswallocks

May 14, 2015 at 11:13 PM

Jane/Jeff

What context?

• one fine day

May 14, 2015 at 11:14 PM

“I am going away on holiday on the Wednesday after the West Ham game so I would like to know where I am by then.” “But I want no discussions from now until the West Ham game is finished.”

John your padded cell awaits…..
    Surely he gets home and quietly thinks “f@2k me ,I cant believe I’m actually getting away with this”
    MTV will be on board with an offer soon
    KEEPING UP WITH CARVS.

• Belfast

May 14, 2015 at 11:15 PM

It’s death for me if you get the Job John DEATH

• Average_Contents

May 14, 2015 at 11:17 PM

Op

Yes I’ll admit it lol. I tried to break it gently on the previous thread before I sent this article out so as not to cause mass panic.

Epic fail.

Beermonkey

He promised less talking last week. What does he do? Act like a twat again.

He clearly never developed fully in the womb.

I mean, to actually say it wasn’t mismanagement on the clubs part is fcuking ludicrous mate.

He also failed to mention how much of this excellent “26 man squad” is made up of players who simply aren’t good enough. Depth? It’s about as deep as a cup. One of those tidgy ones they use for expresso.

He’s arguing the case for the slug.

Should be shot on sight.

Twat.

• Toon-Prodigy

May 14, 2015 at 11:18 PM

If we stay up for me John has did his job as asked. It’s not his fault the board just go against the grain and what needs to be done. That goes for any manager who comes in. It makes no difference to me they knew what they were getting into. You would have to be a lunitic not to take this job role, especially if you had worked at the club for most of your life. JC is deffo not a bottler and i respect that. He has had a go in shocking circumstances.

It’s Mike who makes the decisions and sets the level of ambition, until that changes, like every football person out there it simply dosn’t matter who is head coach. It will be a struggle.

• Graeme

May 14, 2015 at 11:21 PM

Carver’s statement just beggars belief.
    He is the WORST Manager in the Premier League.
    He has a Win % of a magnificent 12% – its ludicrous to suggest he is capable of managing a full season – there will be a player mutiny with that idiot in charge!!!

• dave 1961

May 14, 2015 at 11:36 PM

Nicholas van Hoogstraten the richest man ever to be jailed in the uk though to have a fortune of £200m he was a thug and would buy up property’s with sitting tenants on the cheap, then send his thugs around to beat them up, including the odd old lady.
    the police had been informed of his tricks many times and turned a blind eye they only took action when his thugs killed someone.
    so anyone who thinks that Ashley would ever be investigated for wrong doing it will never happen.

• lesh

May 14, 2015 at 11:40 PM

For Christ’s sake! I’m astonished that Carver thinks he’s in with a shout of becoming HC. I’m astonished that Charnley and Ashley have yet to discuss our descent into a relegation fight. Fight may be the wrong word.

By expecting to know within 48 hours of West Ham is ludicrous – as ludicrous as being allowed to go on holiday when one would expect the end of season review to have been held then.

Could it be that the review will not be conducted as thoroughly as say Citeh? Could it be that it’ll comprise of one or two questions to Carver – each requesting a ‘yes’ answer?

If the review were to be more than a quick skirmish with the malaise that’s affected/ing our Club, then it be set against the background of its aims, objectives and strategy. However, does anyone know what they are? Or could they be wrapped up in an aim of ‘Maximising the return on the least amount of investment by having no ambition for success on the field’.

That being so and Carver trying to foist responsibility for his inability to get little from a depleted squad, onto Charnley and Carr. But they too will be aware that their activities will come into question and prepared for a messy bout of infighting. Carver surely can’t survive that when Charnley and Carr’ll be fighting their own corners.

In the circumstances, one would hope that Charnley’s persuaded Ashley to agree to recruiting a credible HC, asap! But Ashley won’t want to spend money too early and that’ll be kicked into the long grass.

All in all, Carver’s trying to force the agenda, albeit unwittingly, and I’m afraid that he’ll be given the job within that two day period.

Or, that Carver’s absence delays the review and thus we’ll be faced with a close-season of inactivity.

Or to summarise that lot, Situation Normal, All F****d Up!

Maybe it’s a good time for ST holders to write to Charnley asking for guidance on how they may get their money back if Ashley’s actions do not indicate change for the better.

Imagine a queue of 40000 ST holders, at SJP at 3pm one Saturday – all asking for their money back? The media’d love it.

Hopefully the AO campaign and NUST can get their heads around planning for the close-season.

• 1949BH PROUDTOBEAGEORDIE

May 14, 2015 at 11:45 PM

dave1961 he got out of prison and is currently one of the rich who supports mugabe in zimbabwe the only country that is similar to nufc completly messed up.

• bettyswallocks

May 14, 2015 at 11:46 PM

Leah

Great post. If there is a demand for refunds and a mass exodus in the summer then they will have to respond somehow.

• lesh

May 14, 2015 at 11:49 PM

Bettys

Cheers man and I think that idea of a money-back campaign might just be the sort of Ashley-hitting activity that could impact – without affecting the team’s performances!

• Toon-Prodigy

May 14, 2015 at 11:50 PM

Carvers job was to only keep us in this league, with no building and weakening of the squad this is obvious to me. Pardew knew it also and took off. Pardew served his time in Ashley’s operation “profit”.

Like I keep saying though, why aim the vitriol at the coach? Who could of did better under Ashley? Who would come? With this squad?

It’s far overated. Who put Carver in charge? Who did it all?

Don’t waste your time blaming a man who simply isn’t to blame for the current situation, aim it at the man at the top who pulls the strings.

It amazes me how much time fellow fans give so much time to hating on the coach when the main problem is the owner, squad and structures.

• lesh

May 14, 2015 at 11:54 PM

1949

Ah, Van Hoogstraten in bed with Mugabe conjures up visions of them living a studious existence, giving generously to the wider community of Zimbabwe.

But Van Hoogstraten’s got himself a nice little people management consultancy with Mr Robert M.

They’re working well together, I’m sure.

• lesh

May 14, 2015 at 11:55 PM

Whoops!

But = Bet Van…..

• Toon-Prodigy

May 15, 2015 at 12:27 AM

Why do you think John still thinks he is in with a chance?

Because he is following his targets.

It just wasn’t to be so bad and close I guess. It’s upstairs though that must of did it all and planned from January. And that’s very bad. But we know that already. We were never going to finish mid-table.

Just another gamble to save money. Where, we stay in the league and we will by the look of it.

Killer for fans though. No joy.

Ashley has to go. He has us as low as you can now.

• Jail for Ashley

May 15, 2015 at 1:03 AM

TP,
    Are you off you’re fcukin head, Carver has done his job ??? The law of averages have done their fcukin job, getting ten points from a possible fifty seven is not doing your fcukin job. Get a grip man, you can’t dislike Ashley anymore than I do, stop thinking that by sticking up for his lackeys you are trying to prove that he is the only one to blame, we know he is nut his cretinous yes men are helping him get by.

• sickandtired

May 15, 2015 at 1:04 AM

• Jail for Ashley

May 15, 2015 at 1:11 AM

sickandtired,
    I’ve just got home after a long drive from Norwich and reading that Carver article has boiled my piss, not mismanagement !!! TP sticking up for him wtf !!!#**#

• Toon-Prodigy

May 15, 2015 at 1:13 AM

Jail,

If tou want to waste your time blaming coaches that’s entirely upto yourself, me personally, im past caring.

The state of this club is down to one man now. I’v watched Pardews circumstances and now Carvers.

There is not one man on this earth coachwise that can fix the problems at this club now. It’s been downhill for far too long now.

I havn’t got the fingers to even see if another coach could do better with this squad, depleted, suspended or injured.

I said in January, the scare would be how many managers are we going to go through now til fans turn, when the problem was never the coach given our owner.

It’s a massive waste of time blaming a coach at this club. The tools arn’t and never have been there to do well under Mike Ashley’s tenure. The novelty that we could of done better and maybe should of sone is minimal and is bollocks amd pure hindsight.

An excuse to hate the manager for Ashleys lack of ambition.

He has always held the keys and never let anyone have a good go.

• Toon-Prodigy

May 15, 2015 at 1:16 AM

Apologies for my spelling there jail am pissin up! Last day off 🙂

• Toon Tang

May 15, 2015 at 1:28 AM

In the real world, on what basis would Carvdew be offered the job??

I know this is planet SD and we run tings differently but Jesus H Navas how and why and when and what has he done to get any job anywhere. I’m taking even volunteering down the mission in that as well…

• Jail for Ashley

May 15, 2015 at 1:30 AM

TP,
    Please lets get this clear, I blame only one man for our current demise and that is Mike Ashley as you well know, I just don’t understand why your giving so much leeway to the men that are helping him screw us. Did the Nuremberg trials let everyone off because one man was pulling the strings.

• Toon-Prodigy

May 15, 2015 at 1:48 AM

Jail,

Carver isn’t screwing or helping us.

Just a bloke who is trying to claim his dream job. Can’t knock him if offered? You can’t even go on his record with this sorry squad. Impossible.

It’s Mike’s decision though because he was an easy choice. An excuse to save money which is always what Ashley does.

My point is, what im trying to make, is what is the point of blaming a coach just because he is in place? He is there to keep us in the league that is all? Of course there is going to be plenty defeats when you weaken and don’t build the squad when needed. You see Carver as a yes man fair enough, but I see him as just another yes man with instructions to keep us in the league. As anyone else who could come in.

Nouts going to change man, how many managers do you want to go through until Ashley leaves? You would like a better coach but he will be exactly the same working under the same constraints.

With Cabaye, Ba, Remy, Carroll, Debuchy, Nolan, Barton

Would we have went under these runs under Pardew or Carver? With the additions of Janmaat, the emergence of Arrons. If we had of sorted CB’s Willo, Collo. And then added sissoko, cabella. Thats how I see a true NUFC build.

No Chance.

Upstairs have caused more problems than any coach ever could.

It’s Ashley not the coach. Bad results are down to the board for not looking after the long term future of this squad and now we need an overhaul, it’s been coming for years now. Look at the contract situations.

Bedtime for me mate.

• N1CK06

May 15, 2015 at 1:58 AM

Obviously Ashley is the number 1 problem, but that should not excuse Carver of the criticism he is getting. He took the job knowing he’d struggle with the conditions, knowing his lack of experience, but he took it because of what it meant to HIM, not the team, not the fans, not Ashley.

Then he says things like “we have to keep all our focus on these games” followed by saying “I” 6 times in the remaining 8 sentences.

Regardless of how strict the conditions are, Carver can’t even give an interview about the team let alone manage them. He even said he needs to keep his gob shut, so he is aware of the shit he talks, but just keeps going on and on

• Jail for Ashley

May 15, 2015 at 2:00 AM

TP,
    I don’t think you realise that I know all that and that you have me mixed up with RH or LR32, I am not blaming Carver but saying he is shit and deserves no sympathy for publicly trying to tell the fans of this club that there has been no mismanagement.

• jimmysmith

May 15, 2015 at 2:01 AM

Sid James” Park…..ok ok, but surely John doesn’t have to also turn into the man. The resemblance is becoming uncanny.

• JackButler

May 15, 2015 at 2:04 AM

Carver is nothing but delusional and the sooner he’s put out of his misery the better for all concerned.

He’s regarded as a decent coach but he’s no manager thats is obvious to anyone with half a brain cell in their heads, but we still have two massive games left before we start to dream of the new leaf that Ashley’s gonna turn over and the power house he’s gonna turn us into 😉

• Jail for Ashley

May 15, 2015 at 2:15 AM

JB,
    There is obviously a code of conduct between managers, former managers and wannabee managers that says they have to say nice things about each other.

• theartfuldodger

May 15, 2015 at 2:47 AM

One reason why I think Carver will not remain HC is because of his inability to protect Ashley.
    By saying that Its not mismanagement, he is trying to…But its too late…
    With JC in charge, protests will begin at the start of the season.. All directed at Ashley

• jimmysmith

May 15, 2015 at 3:03 AM

“I can understand why everyone hates us. I hate us, and I’m a fan.” Michael Hann, Guardian Journalist, editorialising about this weekends opponents.

• Blofal

May 15, 2015 at 3:51 AM

TP I agree with you.

Although I don’t think Carver is good enough I do think that any manager that took over after Pardew would have struggled.

Ashley and Charnley have put together a structure that has rapidly built up to the massive failure that is this current season.

All you have to do is look at our squad compared to other teams. We will now need $100 million investment (which won’t happen) just to compete with teams like Swansea and Soton.

Our first team players aren’t good enough but an even bigger problem is our second 11 is that bad that we have no back up when suspensions and injuries inevitably happen.

That’s why we always drop off in the second half of the season. Most of our second 11 aren’t even fit for the championship.

• Chris

May 15, 2015 at 5:35 AM

@18
    “A squad of 26? Well, not only is that not possible, it’s not true either! Perhaps someone can ask him to name his squad?”

Try this:

22 Sammy Ameobi
    23 Cisse
    24 Perez
    25 Riviere
    26 Armstrong

Not including:
    Ferreyra, Marveaux, Darlow, Alnwick, Lascelles, Curtis Good, Streete, Satka, Sterry, Vuckic, Roberts, Bigirimana, Kemen, Mbabu & Ferguson

• cyprus

May 15, 2015 at 5:47 AM

It’s an oxymoron, really. JC has almost done enough for the job: he needs to lose 2 more games and the job is his!

The job was his under only 2 scenarios: a. he won so many games the job could not be denied him. b. he relegated the team. He’s doing alright 😉

• cyprus

May 15, 2015 at 5:57 AM

Looking at the above list, it’s not all that bad an outfit. It’s a good HC we’re missing. I could name 5 players that absolutely need replacing. If we replace them with 3 marque signings and 2 perez style top prospects, we could do well.

• John Tudor

May 15, 2015 at 5:59 AM

home grown and under age players dont count

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

May 15, 2015 at 6:19 AM

This is exactly why people like Carver and Charmless are equally a part of the problem that need addressing at Newcastle!

…if we don’t do something about it, then we’ll get someone equally bad the next time.

This club is rotten to the core and everyone wants a piece of it!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

May 15, 2015 at 6:21 AM

I’ll say that team needs alot of work, but you cannot fix it all in one season.

• Thump

May 15, 2015 at 6:48 AM

Oh Christ, John, please stop talking. Just stop fscking talking.

• hibbit

May 15, 2015 at 7:25 AM

jesper i think we need a five year plan