Newcastle Make Determined Effort To Sign French Star


Newcastle have been interested in signing 22 year-old French U21 Intentional Florian Thauvin for a couple of years now, and in January of last year Newcastle made a determined attempt to sign the youngster but were unsuccessful and the player is now on a five year deal at Marseilles.

He in fact joined Lille 16 months ago, but was only there for six months before singing on at Marseilles, due to a contract concern with Lille – who were not paying him the wages he could get at Marseilles.

florian thauvin

Florian Thauvin – 22 year-old Marseilles forward

There was news earlier this month that Newcastle had approached Thauvin,  and offered to double his wages he’s getting at Marseilles if he would sign on at Newcastle, always assuming we stay in the Premier League of course.

Florian is a skillful young player and some big clubs have been interested in him for a while now – but he has now reacted to the latest transfer talk – principally of Newcastle being keen to sign him this summer.

This is what he said about this yesterday:

“People are talking about me a lot but I haven’t said anything.” “Now I will, I am staying at Marseilles next season.”

In January of last year Florian had talked of the interest of both Newcastle and Arsenal, but for some reason he chose Lille.

With the taxes in France so high these days, French players have again become attractive to Newcastle because it should be fairly easy to persuade them to come to England for much better wages, because they will not have to pay the massive taxes they now have to pay in France.

One problem Newcastle will have in attracting this 22 year-old is we cannot offer him Champions League football, and that’s what top players want.

So unless Newcastle change their modus operandi in the summer,  we will always be struggling to attract the really top players that club like Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and the two Manchester clubs can attract.

But I’m forgetting – we are told continuously by Newcastle that we cannot compete for those top players with those top clubs.

And we’re the 19th richest club in the world right now?

In the last two seasons Florian has played 73 times for Marseilles but with only one goal, and with the French club 4th in the French League at the moment, they could miss out on the Champions league next season.

What do you think?

Comments welcome.


17 comments so far

  • jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

    May 14, 2015 at 9:03 AM

    Comment #1

    Ron…Neil Young rules ????

    0
  • The overrated Frenchman

    May 14, 2015 at 9:04 AM

    Comment #2

    One goal in 73 games. Well, that’s the sort of average we like for our strikers I guess.

    0
  • cyprus

    May 14, 2015 at 9:09 AM

    Comment #3

    If they are continuing to look for signings/loans for next year, no matter if we go down, this is a good sign: that rebuilding will occur no matter what.

    More reasonable that if we go down the big names will go, without replacement, to cut on the budget: less in, less out.

    Going down would truly be detrimental. Coming back up IS NOT a given.

    Similarly, buying new players is no guarantee of success. We hate MA, I know, but this summer we bought enough players for the then (useless) coach to say we are set for CL and no more excuses. Yet, people like Riviere, even Cabs, didn’t come through. They still may, btw, with a real coach.

    If we keep players like Jan, Colb, Siss, Perez, Cabs and develop talents (like Sammy) AND successfully buy 3-4 top players (plus 3-4 ‘development’) AND stay in the division AND get a real coach, we may get lucky and do well yet.

    0
  • cyprus

    May 14, 2015 at 9:12 AM

    Comment #4

    Jesper, you here?
    Read your comment. Do they really not care as much as us if we go down? I’d guess they are sxxxxxg their pants right now. They risked with JC (I’ll admit, tbh, it seemed a small risk), they may pay big time. They’ve already lost many millions in a lower league position! JC may prove their most expensive ‘transfer’ yet!

    0
  • Ron Knee

    May 14, 2015 at 9:18 AM

    Comment #5

    jesper
    How about “Helpless” since Mike Ashley took over?

    0
  • Ron Knee

    May 14, 2015 at 9:20 AM

    Comment #6

    cyprus@3
    That’s an awful lot of ifs!

    0
  • cyprus

    May 14, 2015 at 9:20 AM

    Comment #7

    Ed,
    just read your article. Don’t think we are looking to attract the same players as City and Chelsea. We need a couple 15 mill players, a couple 5 mil.

    We’ve come close: e.g. Cabs 12 mil, Riv. 6 mil… We need to kick up one notch, not two three. Not sure if Carr has most his sharpness…

    0
  • jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

    May 14, 2015 at 9:23 AM

    Comment #8

    Cyprus…yes ????

    0
  • Rotonda heights

    May 14, 2015 at 9:25 AM

    Comment #9

    Cyprus

    Our coaching staff couldn’t develop a cold, let alone a promising footballer.

    I know Moyes looks favourtie to come now and you can’t knock his record, but he just doesn’t excite or get the pulses racing (ask Manu and Sociedad fans) and is just a better polished version of AP, Allardyce and Pulis, ie containing, long ball football. Have we not had our fill of that?

    0
  • scout

    May 14, 2015 at 9:25 AM

    Comment #10

    How many QPR players will get a prem club??? Not many I’d say

    0
  • Rotonda heights

    May 14, 2015 at 9:26 AM

    Comment #11

    vargas and Isla maybe.

    0
  • Sir Braveheart

    May 14, 2015 at 9:27 AM

    Comment #12

    Come on….how is this even a story?

    He’s come out and said he’s staying at Marseilles, so n, he’s not coming to us. End of.

    I’m calling this now by the way, Carver as manager next season. McClaren was first choice, if he really has said no then they’ll go with Carver, and buy three players in the summer and one on loan. They’ll say that the squad has been sufficiently boosted and with the young players coming through we have a strong enough squad for next year.

    0
  • hibbit

    May 14, 2015 at 9:27 AM

    Comment #13

    no one knows if any of these stories are true or bishop hard at work drip feeding this crap ….you decide

    0
  • Obertan's better than Messi

    May 14, 2015 at 9:58 AM

    Comment #14

    hibbit

    C’mon about 0.0001% of these stories are true.
    A lot are just made up by jornos and bloggers.
    As there is an entire department at NUFC dedicated to duping us, no doubt a number of them come from Bishop & Taylor.

    Cut the cancer out today.

    #BoycottSD
    #BoycottNUFC

    #ASHLEYOUT

    0
  • grem1983

    May 14, 2015 at 9:59 AM

    Comment #15

    @Sir Braveheart

    The player has had a massive fall out with the club and has been dropped the last few weeks. So Marseilles are likely to want to move him on

    0
  • jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

    May 14, 2015 at 10:17 AM

    Comment #16

    Cyprus…they have lost £ 12-14M or so on that gamble and I am not even counting the decline in player assets!

    Ron…the quote from the Neil Young song I posted earlier has become synonymous with Newcastle for me…like and unofficial fan chant! It should be sung at every home game just like the bindippers singing that Gerry and the Pacemakers song!

    0
  • Obertans_on_roids

    May 15, 2015 at 1:54 AM

    Comment #17

    A very talented player that’s just going through the motions instead of pushing himself, i’m sure he’d fit right in..

    0

You must log in to post a comment.