The Cheap Option Could Be Very Expensive For Newcastle

This could be a very important day for Newcastle United one way or the other – a win could see us safe in the Premier League tonight if Hull don’t win at Spurs.

But another defeat – which would be our 9th in 10 games – would be yet another disastrous result this year – and could signal another relegation for the famous Tyneside club.

stone john carver

Steve Stone and John Carver
Inexperienced at the top level

John Carver wants a win – don’t we all – and he says he will only be concentrating on getting the win and will not check on any other scores around the league:

“I certainly won’t be keeping track of other results for the 90 minutes we are on the pitch.” “All I’ll be concentrating on is us, and what we are doing because it’s in our hands.”

“I’ve told the players to concentrate on our own business and not worry about what’s going on anywhere else – I’ll look at that after we do our job at QPR.”

“All I’m thinking about at the moment is Saturday, Queens Park Rangers and winning that game. “I’m not going to be distracted with thoughts of anything else.”

In retrospect it’s been a disastrous appointment by Lee Charnley to put John Carver in charge for the second half of the season and certainly the fans thought it was a poor decision at the time.

But nobody thought we’d be fighting relegation now after we were 9th top on 26 points when Alan Pardew left.

But just 10 points in 17 league games under John Carver have plunged Newcastle into a second relegation battle in two years.

John was always the cheap and easy choice for Lee Charnley, but he was also completely untested at the highest level, and he’s had difficulty keeping his head above water this year.

It may have been the cheap option but Newcastle could be relegated and lose £70M immediately and miss out on the big money as long as we are in the second division.

That’s why today’s game is massive for the club, and a win is what we want to see in a game that’s between the two worst performing PL sides this year.

• optimistic prime

May 16, 2015 at 9:42 AM

Pardew was that loyal he jumped at first opportunity. When other managers talked about commitment and finishing a job they started.

Maybe you should check the definition of loyalty, plenty of coaches have stayed at clubs with equal or worse circumstances.

• Marty-Toon

May 16, 2015 at 9:43 AM

Need to get off to a good start today and not concede a goal in the first minute.
    Would be nice for us to put them on the back foot straight away.
    Important that Sissoko wins the midfield over Barton as Colback won’t be able to do that.
    Cisse and Ayoze have a good chance against Richard Dunne with him being so slow but their dead ball will cause us trouble

• mindcompressor

May 16, 2015 at 9:56 AM

SackPardew crew is guilty current situation? The fact that things went worse after Pardew doesn’t mean he was proper manager for NUFC. First time, since I’m reading this blog I needed to pick up my jaw from the floor. The only problem is that board is against sport, against football and against fans.

Boycotts and other protests got any impact when they are run during games/season. Otherwise, talking about bad, bad fat Mickey when everyone are on holiday is pointless.

Players can’t complain on support because people around the world, especially local fans are loyal to the Club and they were supportive even when we were loosing and loosing, selling best players without replacement, etc. If team would show commitment to win, ambition on the pitch, I’m pretty sure there would be no boycotts.

Maybe we can stay in PL – but nothing would change. Because as long money is right, board will not start to think about winning cups, finishing as high as possible in the league, etc. They put some money to avoid relegation battle and that’s it. Target next season will be: 12th place. So all news related to players, managers, etc… for me are just to boost season ticket sale.

• alka

May 16, 2015 at 10:38 AM

mindcompressor @ 3

Have to agree with everything you say. As long as the fat man is there with his sidekick Mr MaGoo nothing will ever change.

• sickandtired

May 16, 2015 at 11:04 AM

About time Ed got off the ‘sack pardew crew’ as though no other problems exist or existed other than Pardew leaving.
    There was an excellent post on a QPR blog a few days ago and I suggest Ed takes a read–opposition-profile
    If other supporters and the national media can see what is wrong at our Club then it is high time one of our own blogs faced the facts.

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

May 16, 2015 at 11:13 AM

I don’t know about others but I tend to skip the articles these days and go straight to the comments.

I don’t know about Ed being out of touch, he does appear naive at times though. For me it’s simply the quality of the articles and the writing. Now this isn’t a personal attack but I just feel they’re generally very poor. The content can occasionally be interesting but the writing is just too simplistic to really engage with, maybe that is why some controversial remarks are being thrown in?

This used to be my one stop for everything NUFC, since I was at school in fact. But I seem to have grown out of it a bit and much prefer the occasional Mag article (not the ill conceived reactionary ones) and the reports, as well as the odd smaller blog pieces.

The one thing this blog has above all others and that’s its user base, it’s comments section. But even that now has begun to descend into ego battles and one upmanship.

But tje root cause for this is the now sorry existance of NUFC, it envokes anger and frustration and that is clearly reflected on here.

Who knows, maybe Ed’s successor has an affinity for writing and the clubs fortunes turn around, and this blog can flourish once again.

• catchy in norway

May 16, 2015 at 1:49 PM

sack pardew is the best thing to happen to this club, it’s only blind fools that would have kept him,
    he took us on runs where we never looked like winning, when he took the lead he shut up shop, he treat the fans like fools , he butted players , pushed refs , sorry but this is not a guy I want in my corner.

while I like us being in the premier league , I just don’t want to be a club that is in there only to survive , with pardew at the helm , every team we played , we played like they were the big team and we were the under dogs , he made us feel like we are lucky to beat teams fighting relegation when we were at home.

his use of the squad was abysmal , as long as you were a purple you would get in the team in some position.

we wanted pardew and all of his coaches out , not just him, carver was a disgrace long before he took the job as HC.