John Irving Will Leave Newcastle United

There’s new tonight that John Irving, the Finance Director at Newcastle will leave the club to take up a similar position at Newcastle Airport

John Irving

John Irving – Director of Football – to leave club

John Irving has been at Newcastle for seven years and has worked for Mike Ashley throughout that time.

John was appointed to his current position in the summer of 2013 following the resignation of Derek Llambias, seemingly in protest of Joe Kinnear being appointed at that time as Director of Football.

The Chronicle is reporting that Irving’s  assistant, David Gilroy, is also leaving the club for Manchester City – so Newcastle will need to hire a couple of financial people in the summer.

They are also reporting that John had become frustrated at Newcastle  – and we can understand that – unfortunately the club is being completely mismanaged almost at all levels at the moment.

And another embarrassment is that our new strips to be worn on Sunday,  have the wrong Wonga logo on them.

That’s as much Wonga’s fault as Newcastle’s.

• Mint

May 19, 2015 at 11:17 PM

Thats it, the selling up is in motion. strip those assets!

• jane

May 19, 2015 at 11:20 PM

they’ve mis-managed the club but got good jobs elsewhere, doesn’t add up. I suppose the finance people have done a good job!

• dave 1961

May 19, 2015 at 11:22 PM

I just got this off one of the AO lads

Don’t say anything that will point to me, ask Ciaran if he’s pissed off because everything he’s tried has failed and ask him if he’s worried that others are having more success than he ever has.

• Graeme

May 19, 2015 at 11:22 PM

Re-post from previous, sorry, Ed dropped another on in lol

Does the term “Piss up” and “Brewery” spring to mind??

Our Illustrious Owner, or his MD didn’t check with the club’s MAIN SPONSOR that the clubs new shirt met their requirements?? It simply beggars belief that the right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing.

It simply confirms the Total Incompetance so obvious at every level of NUFC. Inept simply doesn’t come close to describing how bad they really are!!!

• jane

May 19, 2015 at 11:24 PM

Gleese I’d choose arsenal hammering sunderland if it means we only need to draw as we might be able to manage that.

• Spitfire

May 19, 2015 at 11:24 PM

The rats are starting to leave the sinking ship

• jane

May 19, 2015 at 11:27 PM

“Our Illustrious Owner, or his MD didn’t check with the club’s MAIN SPONSOR that the clubs new shirt met their requirements??”

surely they have staff who deal with that sort of thing. anyway it could be Wonga’s fault.

• dave 1961

May 19, 2015 at 11:30 PM

AO

All decisions are taken by a vote and everybody can come up with ideas, including people who have no connection to Ashley.com, those people do it my e-mail.

• Ciaran

May 19, 2015 at 11:33 PM

Dave

That’s very disappointing that they wouldn’t engage with me directly – they could have done but decided to block me instead.

Also, it appears that they are gloating in their own sense of smug satisfaction.

I have no desire for glory. No desire for kudos or recognition.

They want to unite the fan base yet will glibly dismiss the opinion of someone who has been considerably active and could actually support them?

You may think this is personal Dave, but it’s not. Yes, I’m insulted by the way they have carried on but I am more annoyed at their pathetic choice of protest and have decided not to sit on key information which identifies these lads as the charlatans they are.

Also – you have not even acknowledged my point about where the “100s” of AO lads were at their own protest outside SD.

Maybe because there aren’t 100s…

• firebug666

May 19, 2015 at 11:34 PM

I would just like to ad my two pennies to the AO debate.

What does it matter if they are ST holders or not? Why does it matter if the renew?

The way I see it, being a ST holder has it’s advantages for a long drawn out campaign against Ashley.

When the is a call for a boycott then the empty seats speak volumes, but if there is a need to be in the stadium to help a protest get started then a ST would be handy to have.

This is not about the money paid into Ashley’s coffers, this is about a unified campaign to remove the fat slob from the club.

I will always support that end goal. To attack Ashley every angle will need to be used, both from inside and outside the stadium.

Everyone just needs to come together and get with the program, The battle has already started, and it’s a battle we must win, so time to set aside all the petty differences, the my dads bigger than your dad arguments, and for once unite against the common enemy.

Rant over!

• Graeme

May 19, 2015 at 11:35 PM

Jane, you defend the Management all you want girl. NUFC desgn the shirt but they get it signed off by the organisation providing the Sponsorship – W***A in our case. They are paying for the joy of having their name associated with Ashley – at least Asley or his MD should make sure it is right.
    Yet another NUFC screw up!!

• Ciaran

May 19, 2015 at 11:37 PM

Dave

So the minutiae of every decision is voted on by 100s of people….just consider the logistics of that for a second mate.

I was in a board of 12 people, and I was aware of the difficulties of making decisions by e-mail so I’m not entirely sure you’re representing facts here.

• dave 1961

May 19, 2015 at 11:39 PM

Ciaran

Just carry on what you are doing you dont know what effect you actually have, you should look at what you might have done that inspired some one else to do something that you did not think of, and the way to look at it is you could have played a much greater part than you will know. some people play a massive part by just doing their own bit a small cog comes to min.
    if we fight each other we loose site of who is the real enemy. And its not other fans.

• Ciaran

May 19, 2015 at 11:40 PM

Firebug

So you don’t see the sheer and utter hypocrisy of ST holders (who renew their STs) running an anti-Ashley group calling on match goers to boycott their tickets?

You don’t think, in any way, that damages their credibility?

So far their in-ground presence has worked wonders though…

• bettyswallocks

May 19, 2015 at 11:42 PM

Firebug

Quite right. It’s all about choice, which has been advocated from the outset of these latest protests.

Freedom of choice of how to protest and still wanting Ashley out is the democratic way forward.

Intimidating people and calling them scabs if they choose to attend the match isn’t.

• jane

May 19, 2015 at 11:42 PM

Sir Braveheart I’ve read the posts you’ve added at the bottom of the thread a couple of threads back, they are very touching and give a very good incite to what is happening, best posts I’ve read here. personally I think the family getting back together is better and giving it’s full support is better than boycotting. it’s the boycotters who are the heart of the club which is why the atmosphere is missing. who cares who the owner is.

• Ibizatoon

May 19, 2015 at 11:44 PM

Ciaran…I haven’t been through all of the posts tonight yet, so really shouldn’t comment. The only point I was making is not that you are right or wrong, not that AO are good or bad, just that tomorrow is another day. Nothing to be gained this evening.

firebug…I’m not jumping in to the deabte…for the third time, and I really hope for the last time tonight, I am going to bed 🙂

However, something for you to play with.

There was an article out recently on how it’d work out less expensive to pay for day tickets rather than having a ST. I think anyway…it is late.

I do agree about putting aside differences. Don’t a lot of us have the same common end goal?

Anyway….zzzzzzz

Night blog.

• Mister Tuff

May 19, 2015 at 11:44 PM

Niafron touched on this a short while ago – the English (note English) attitude of putting up with allsorts of crap and not have a dissenting voice against those in authority. This is a true trait like it or not.
    Linking this trait with football, especially in the North East, Tyneside in particular, leaves you with a body of people who do not like to be involved with change – if things change for the better -no problem. However the problem is- regardless of what anybody hopes -at SJP – you will always have the zebra watchers who will turn up week in week out to watch any old shite- they’ve done it for years and their fathers before them. So trying to get a mass movement up and running in a short space of time in an unenviable task.
    I just suggest to all to hang fire about any personal decisions as the season’s just about finished. I see the fall out if there were protests on Sunday and we go down -AO would be blamed.
    Let’s wait any see -footballs nearly over, what are the plans for doing something over the summer. I hope AO offer something that more folk can get involved in. Now is not the time to start squabling.

• dave 1961

May 19, 2015 at 11:48 PM

Ask Ciaran to name the season ticket holders amongst the group and tell him that you will check the names to see if he’s bullshitting.

Also tell him names of those involved are not given out because that’s why campaigns have failed in the past, people with ego’s who were more important than the cause became the cause.

• dave 1961

May 19, 2015 at 11:48 PM

I’m just passing on messages I’m getting

• Mister Tuff

May 19, 2015 at 11:50 PM

I should add – the ban on squabbling obviously does not apply to exposing Ian Toon and his posse of multiples.

• Sazzer

May 19, 2015 at 11:50 PM

So this unheard of guy Gilroy used us as stepping stone before leaving for Man City, I bet he’s the brain behind our transfer policy.

• firebug666

May 19, 2015 at 11:51 PM

Ciaran

If they are also boycotting then why not?

They are not ordering anyone to boycott, they are not ordering anyone to do anything, they are just asking for support.

I can no longer go to the matches, but if I could I would be happy to boycott my ticket and show unity in a protest.

People seem to lose track of the main aim in all of this, there is far to much petty squabbling, sometime we act like children fighting over the toys in the playground.

If we start to lose sight of the bigger picture here mate then you would be right, and we have lost already, we need to remain focussed on the main aim, (to get Ashley out).

My personal feeling is that it is the duty of every fan to protect the integrity of our club, and a duty to fight for it.

Many will not agree, most will stand by while others take up the mantle, but what really boils my pi$$, is all the fan of other clubs just sit back and laugh while we (who are suppose to be united) tear each other asunder.

Like I said mate, yes I will continue to support them, and anyone one else who is willing to fight this battle.

• dave 1961

May 19, 2015 at 11:51 PM

and that’s the last thing I’m saying.

• Ciaran

May 19, 2015 at 11:51 PM

Dave

The ironic thing is that I wanted to engage in debate. I wanted to pass on my not inconsiderable experience – both privately and publicly. I was ignored privately (which is their right, I don’t demand to be heard) and they censored me publicly.

From your e-mail, it appears that AO has absolutely no desire to have my input as a small cog despite the fact that I supported the protest that they arranged by going to AO – I wonder, was your brother one of the 4/5 people at the protest who weren’t affiliated with MAOC?

I have done my bit. I continue to do my bit. I engage in debate, and I get my boots on the ground. I do not hide my name. Ashley Out has so far wimped out on calling for boycotts, printed out a bunch of leaflets and failed to organise a meaningful protest on this, the most crucial and poignant time to have one.

And to top this off, it is all done behind keyboards by lads who just want to keep their season tickets, have Ashley spend a few quid so they can continue to go to matches and feed the beast.

They’re a joke, but they’re the best we can come up with. They’re a symptom of how pathetically inept our fan base are at organising mass protests that can actually achieve results.

• Belfast

May 19, 2015 at 11:53 PM

It’s a pretty scandalous story if true Ruddy that’s why I was interested when you mentioned it. I wasn’t egging you on at all.

Or maybe I was. That hidden agenda of mine striking again. Haha

• Sazzer

May 19, 2015 at 11:55 PM

Van Gaal preparing for the Hull game with Amsterdam stimulants:

• dave 1961

May 19, 2015 at 11:56 PM

Ciaran

if we fight each other we take our eye off the ball we have a common enemy you have been fighting him longer than most that should be plenty for you to be satisfied with you are one of the founders quite a bit to be proud of.

• Laurent Robert 32

May 19, 2015 at 11:57 PM

I’ve mentioned it before, an anonymous movement is by far the better option in my opinion. A group of people with shared values and goals. The only name which is needed is ashleyout, as that speaks volumes. The name is the desired goal.

• bettyswallocks

May 19, 2015 at 11:58 PM

Dave

Tell Arthur Scargill/ Ian Paisley that not everyone wants to be associated with a full on , all or nothing approach to protesting.

People prefer to do their own thing.

• jane

May 19, 2015 at 11:59 PM

Ciaran your zeal is admirable but just one last thought as time to go, revolutions are usually won by mass peaceful demonstration not be the militants. nite all 🙂

• Ciaran

May 20, 2015 at 12:00 AM

Firebug

They’ve renewed their STs and are going back next season – that’s the very opposite of boycotting. You don’t think they’ve paid hundreds of quid for STs only to stay away from every game?

Dave

So the aim is to expose me as a bullshitter? That is their goal? Do you not think that exposes them – also I’d say that the whole “we have anonymity to prevent egos getting in the way” was undone when they decided to personally insult me as having “failed” in my fight against the club?

Surely you’d think that instead of decrying me as a failure they’d be interested in my insights and would wish to engage with me? Instead, they’ve censored my opinion.

Also, you’ve yet again, conveniently overlooked the question – where were these 100s of AO activists outside SD? After all, this was the only protest they themselves organised yet the lionshare of attendees were affiliated with MAOC and not AO.

Ironic that they are calling me the bullshitter.

• Belfast

May 20, 2015 at 12:01 AM

Ian Paisley now there’s a man who liked a protest. Neverrrrrrrrrr!

• firebug666

May 20, 2015 at 12:10 AM

Ciaran

I know mate, and I can understand your concerns with that.

This was always going to be a long battle, we will need fans inside the ground as well as outside, It’s that bigger picture thing again mate.

Not every game will be boycotted, demonstrations inside the ground will also be needed, and as of yet we don’t know the full story on what will be required from the fans in the coming months.

The renewing of season tickets may be (and most likely is) a part of that bigger picture.

I really don’t see a problem with protest leaders like AO having season tickets. In fact it’s something that I would have thought would be needed for a successful campaign.

I would like to pick up this debate with you tomorrow, as I have to get some sleep now, got to be back up in six hours.

I have enjoyed talking with you and bid you a goodnight.

• Ciaran

May 20, 2015 at 12:12 AM

Dave

I’m not seeking platitudes, nor gratification.

When the dust is settled I’ll be happy with what I’ve done, but it’ll mean nothing to me. I’ve lost my football club. It is irretrievable. If MA sold tomorrow it wouldn’t matter.

The fans have shown themselves up for who they are – that’s the real tragedy of this mess.

As I’ve said before – my information is reliable and intentions are pure. I can’t say the same for the AO lads.

• bettyswallocks

May 20, 2015 at 12:19 AM

Ciaran

You seem a genuine, passionate guy, with honourable intentions but to disrupt the progress and harmony that has been created is non productive.

Please don’t dishearten the masses to satisfy your own agenda.

• Ciaran

May 20, 2015 at 12:21 AM

Betty

What agenda would that be?

• Ciaran

May 20, 2015 at 12:23 AM

Also, you give me too much credit.

Am I single handedly capable of disheartening the masses? Is their resolve that fragile? Are their convictions that open to being challenged?

If so then we’re buggered before we begin.

• bettyswallocks

May 20, 2015 at 12:29 AM

Ciaran

You obviously would prefer to be at the forefront of these protests, orchestrating how people should fully commit to the boycotts.

That’s your stance, which you’re entitled to, but people want to decide in their own time if or when to boycott.

This doesn’t mean that we don’t want Ashley out.

Sorry if this sounds patronising but I am old.

• Belfast

May 20, 2015 at 12:31 AM

You’re pissing into the wind Ruddy on here. Touts out.