Coach Hints He’s Not Coming To Newcastle

Michael Laudrup is 4th favorite to be joining Newcastle in the summer as the new head coach at 12/1 on BetVictor, but there seems to be little chance that he will be arriving, and in fact with the mess the club has been in this year, it’s going to be very difficult to attract a top coach this summer, even if we are still in the Premier League.

michael laudrup

Michael Laudrup – former Swansea coach

But maybe Mike Ashley doesn’t want to a top coach – just somebody who will coach the side, and fit in with his restrictions and they will not complain too much when he makes money by selling our top players.

Laudrup was basically sacked from Swansea over a year ago, and he’s in Qatar at the moment managing Lekhwiya.

This is what Laudrup has said in the Spanish newspaper Marca:

“It’s a time when many rumors appear, but there is nothing concrete. I am in the process of renewing my contract with Lekhwiya, they want me here. I will decide it in two weeks.”

“I am not going to accept an offer from a mid-table club in England or Spain. They are experiences that I have already lived and, at this stage of my life as a coach, I look for new things.”

“If a big club comes calling, I will not say no to them, but I would like to try coaching in the United States if not given the opportunity.”

And in case Newcastle fans get excited by those comments, we are no longer a big club, and have only been in the top ten in England twice over the last eight years.

We were 5th in 2012 and 10th last year,  and at best we will be 4th bottom  this season.

Or maybe even 5th bottom if things go our way on Sunday – and if they don’t go our way on Sunday we will be a Championship club.

As we said, we are no longer a big club.

• Slank

May 19, 2015 at 10:04 AM

Wouldn’t want him. Totally over rated. He’s only interested in money, his.

• jayphoto

May 19, 2015 at 10:13 AM

Some of his behaviour at Swansea was shocking amd the players hated him! In Getafe it wss similar! Glad he’s not coming!

• Toon-Prodigy

May 19, 2015 at 10:17 AM

Jail,

I’v just came in and read over your posts from earlier.

“Do me a favour”? “Don’t you tell me?” I can’t stop laughing. Who is telling you out like? You joined in the discussion with me.

But no, no managerial quotes, they bore me to death to be honest.

I’v seen enough sad posts like that over the last 4 years to last me a lifetime.

Have a goodin. Bedtime.

• Graeme

May 19, 2015 at 10:26 AM

What would he be looking for a Head Coach or a Manager for??
    We have the “Best Coach in the Premier League” onboard and ready to rock!!!

What a bloody nightmare that is going to be!!!

• aidytoon9

May 19, 2015 at 10:41 AM

Stay up !
    He sells!
    Top owner in!
    Top manager!
    Lots of top players!
    Job done!

• BoyDoneGood

May 19, 2015 at 10:45 AM

Not keen on Laudrup.

I think it’s simplistic to suggest a top coach won’t come. He would require guarantees – initial spend (would need to be big from where we are), a say in signings (maybe a veto), some choice in coaching staff (got a bike, John?)

Assuming that was on offer, who wouldn’t come? If you take on a club at their best, you know the only way is down. Take on a fairly major club when they are in the clarts and you are a hero in waiting. “If you build it, they will come.”

• Graeme

May 19, 2015 at 10:50 AM

BDG – Keegan proved it.

ANY Manager, with the skill and the vision could propel this useless club into the top 6 without too much difficulty.

All he needs is the trust and backing of the owner, to do the right thing for the club, within agreed parameters.

• Ron Knee

May 19, 2015 at 10:52 AM

Ashley prefers to appoint desperate yes-men who wouldn’t get a decent job anywhere else; eg. Pardew, Charnley and Carver.

• BoyDoneGood

May 19, 2015 at 11:10 AM

Graeme

…but that’s “Assuming…” The great mystery is whether Mike Ashley has any intention. All the mind readers here are sure he hasn’t. When he first arrived he wanted success, but he and his hangers-on made big mistakes. Recent history is ambiguous. Either (majority view here) he has settled for stagnation, or else he is clearing the decks for a radical change. He is an ex-sportsman himself, and a keen punter who likes to win, so I live in hope. Assuming (that word again) that we are still a PL side after next Sunday, we’ll know the answer within a couple of weeks. I’d like to think the first step will be to sack Carver on Monday morning. Charnley probably won’t go – he’s a director on the boards of about 30 NUFC companies – that’s the sort of tangled web the club has become. So best case scenario is that a solid Director of Football will be appointed: no ex-Wimbledon chancers.

Well, I can dream.

• bettyswallocks

May 19, 2015 at 11:16 AM

Mrs. Carverballs

When asked recently ,”how does she hold her liquor “. Mrs. Carver replied, “By his ears”

• toonarmydownsouth

May 19, 2015 at 11:18 AM

Well as this shocking season draws to a close MA decides to unveil the wonga advert/kit…..and charge £52 quid for it

If your rushing out to pre order your wonga kit, you deserve Ashley tbf….

• dave 1961

May 19, 2015 at 11:21 AM

BoyDoneGood

Nothing wrong with dreaming but i fear you will get your wost nightmare in the end, all Ashley’s supporters give up, in time and for the same reason, often they just cant take it anymore.

• BandB

May 19, 2015 at 11:21 AM

Prodigy,

It’s true that you have on a few occasions in the past suggested that all is not perfect with the board.
    I can’t recall you, honestly, setting out you stall as a trenchant critic of Mr Ashley.
    You have always seemed an “onwards and upwards” “no crying over split milk” kind of guy. A eternal optimist with no time for neggers. who always predicted jam tomorrow.
    This is just an observation, based on a reread of your posts over the years of opposition you mention, and certainly not a criticism.

• Ron Knee

May 19, 2015 at 11:22 AM

What happens to the Wonga deal if/when we go down?

• Average_Contents

May 19, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Tads

If anyone buys that fcuking monstrosity then they need shooting.

Have you seen it? The wronga’s bad enough tbh but fcuk me, the black stripes actually have BLUE running through them horizontally down near the bottom.

Fcuking disgraceful.

Can’t remember what sports store has blue in the logo 😉 or is it to customise the wronga blue even more. Either way it’s vile.

• mecannylad

May 19, 2015 at 11:38 AM

There’s this little lonely magpie been fluttering around our garden for days now….. I hope he finds a friend before 5pm on Sunday afternoon!

• BoyDoneGood

May 19, 2015 at 11:38 AM

Dave 1961

I’m not an Ashley supporter, I don’t know what that even is. Football “supporters” follow a club, feel a lift when the team is successful, suffer when it isn’t. Nobody supports an owner, a chairman or a manager in that sense. I don’t distrust him as much as I distrust, say, Abramovitch. (Read his Wikipedia entry.) But I have no particular admiration/expectation. He’s no Delia Smith.

• dave 1961

May 19, 2015 at 11:49 AM

BoyDoneGood

The term i maybe should have used was Ashley apologist’s or maybe blind optimists but i know the alternative is excepting as long as the weasels here, things will not change, we all wish they would. i would put all the past behind me if he changed i just dont think he ever will.

• Blofal

May 19, 2015 at 12:04 PM

WTF is with the new Kit?

From the back it looks awful! I won’t be buying that one. Hopefully the away strip is better.

• Average_Contents

May 19, 2015 at 12:10 PM

Blofal

It’s got wronga on. That should be enough NOT to buy it.

• Thump

May 19, 2015 at 12:10 PM

@Blofal: It’s Puma’s trick, isn’t it? Make a good design, and then ruin it with random embellishments. If it wasn’t for those blue things across the stripes, I’d be alright with it.

How much longer do we have with these buggers…?

• BandB

May 19, 2015 at 12:16 PM

What’s the chances the squad numbers will be in red, making the entire back of the strip red, white, and blue?

• Jail for Ashley

May 19, 2015 at 12:18 PM

I wouldn’t buy one anyway but if anyone’s woriied about the w@nga logo, I wouldn’t bother. They’ll have SD next year to cover the cost of relegation

• BandB

May 19, 2015 at 12:24 PM

The predominant colour of the shirt isn’t even black and white anymore. The surface area, with the trims and the logo taken into account, is mainly blue and white.
    Even what remains of the black stripe is about 25-30 per cent blue.

• beermonkey

May 19, 2015 at 12:27 PM

what buffoon okayed blue strips on the kit it looks awful,
    given the way the team have been playing maybe yellow stripes would have been better

• dave 1961

May 19, 2015 at 12:36 PM

seem two variants one with 5 stripes one with three maybe they have made plans for the fizzy after all

• dave 1961

May 19, 2015 at 12:37 PM

We cant reduce the wages so lets cut two stripes from the top

• sweendog

May 19, 2015 at 12:39 PM

glad he is ruling himself out, his arrogance was shown up. Next I’d love Carver to rule himself out.

• Shadow_Shearer

May 19, 2015 at 12:45 PM

It seems like the only thing we hear now a days, is which coach is not coming. Seems like nobody wants 2 work for MA. I don’t think there’s another chairman in the premiership who’s been rejected by as many managers/coaches as MA.
    Surely he must realise that it’s not only newcastle fans who hate him, but it’s everybody who does. This is why he surrounds himself with yes men

• mindshaft

May 19, 2015 at 12:45 PM

My god – that strip is awful

• mindshaft

May 19, 2015 at 12:47 PM

“I’m not going to manage a mid table Premier club”…. coming from someone who is managing Lekhwiya in Qatar is a bit rich, especially when their ambition is to manage a club in US.

Not that we are a mid table club, we are relegation fodder

• Average_Contents

May 19, 2015 at 12:49 PM

White and blue top.

Red shorts it is then.

Anyone wish to wager the colour of the socks?

Disliking the fat fcuk more as each day passes.

• Average_Contents

May 19, 2015 at 12:53 PM

No doubt the cringeworthy Ashleyites will be on soon saying “I can’t see anything wrong with it” “what’s the fuss about” “ashley didn’t design it”

He may not of designed it but he’s signed off on it. Like everything else at this club, the final say is his.

Fat fcuk out

• one fine day

May 19, 2015 at 12:54 PM

Sweendog,
    Don’t worry carver doesn’t need to he is letting his record do that for him hopefully.
    Shirt awful tacky as all fu@k
    Wish we still had adidas but puma does reflect the club these days …cheap soulless and zero class.
    My first shirt was made by bukta , the last I bought had Ntl.
    At this rate it will be the last .
    # ashleyout.com
    #wearno wonga
    #hwtf

• Average_Contents

May 19, 2015 at 12:56 PM

I’ve come to the conclusion that those who back the fat fcuk or say he’s done good haven’t a moral fibre in their body.

• Our Toon

May 19, 2015 at 1:00 PM

Reading some of the comments from this morning made me laugh, the sack pardew campaign and be careful what you wish for BS that seems to be thrown around.

1st of all the sack pardew campaign was well directed let’s not forget that bloke couldn’t get the team to win a game for months with a much better squad than we have this season, the start of the season it went the same way. That campaign made pardew change the way the team was set up and we started to win games….that’s a fact!!

Only an absolute idiot and no offence to those that fall into this category, but only an idiot would compare Carver to Pardew. Carver isn’t a manager never has been and never will be….as for pardew he’ll get sacked from his dream job come next season when they will be struggling big time!!

• Our Toon

May 19, 2015 at 1:01 PM

Mindshaft

Laudrup has some very good players in that team, add to that he’s getting more money in 1 hour than Carver gets for the whole season!!

• Ibizatoon

May 19, 2015 at 1:03 PM

Carverballs: “They (Mike Ashley/Newcastle United) need to invest in the summer and they have said they’re going to invest.”

“Whether they have said it in previous summers and it hasn’t happened I don’t know.”

On the kit…lovely stuff. To be fair to the club, they’re doing their best to drive people away. Why resist folks?

• Pokat

May 19, 2015 at 1:03 PM

Well sorry but some of you have been chewing on licorice sticks a bit too long I like the new home shirt there said it won’t take it back! Ha ha ha

Seriously the blue is kinda retro like my old newky brown tops and I also like the blue gradient on the stripes, it’s just the Wonga thing that ruins it. The back is the same puma copout for sticking a massive number and an arched name on but I’ve seen worse my have I seen worse lol.

• one fine day

May 19, 2015 at 1:06 PM

Only nufc/bishop would have the nerve to this and “leak” a shirt in this week of all weeks .
    It’s been put out by jd
    Doesn’t he have shares in them as well?
    Hiya Geordies
    I have turned YOUR club into a fu@@ing shambles and the laughing stock of world football …. Ok? Now that will be 52 quid thanks would you like the premier league patches? They are on special this week .?
    In a world where so many good people die everyday why does this c@@t wake up each morning?