We Have To Do It For The Fans And The City

Jonas Gutierrez is one of the players who knows what it’s like to be relegated, because in his first of seven seasons at Newcastle we were relegated – it was also his Argentine colleague Fab Coloccini’s first season on Tyneside.

We went down by failing to get a point in our last game at Aston Villa on May 24th, and Hull were 4th bottom and stayed up – but were relegated the next season.

jonas gutierrez at qpr

Jonas in action on Saturday

Jonas was our Man of the Match on Saturday and he will again be an important player for us this Sunday, 24th May (the same date we went down in 2009),  when we are at home to West Ham and a win in that game would see us safe – but we haven’t won a game since February.

Jonas has shown his guts and courage in winning his fight with testicular cancer,  and he is now starting regularly in the side and Sunday’s game will probably be his last for the club.

This is what Jonas has said:

“I know this could be my last game at St James’ Park, it is always our responsibility as we are the players on the pitch, we have to do it (avoid relegation) for the fans and the city.”

“Two months ago I didn’t know I was going to be able to play but I feel strong. I think the same – help the team. Most of all, we have to do it for the fans and the city, because they don’t deserve to be in this situation.”

“A few players here know what it is like to go down and it is not nice for the city, the players and the club. This can’t happen, we have to do it for fans and the city.”

“It is really frustrating and I am really upset about the result at QPR and the situation, that’s not acceptable.”

“We scored and we were winning, we had to take care of the ball, be patient and not start running everywhere and leave spaces – in this type of football if you leave spaces, you are going to concede.”

Leicester City and Aston Villa were safe over the weekend, even though Villa were hammered 6-1 at Southampton – and a win would have seen Newcastle safe.

But it’s going down to the last day – and we need to see 100% from every single Newcastle player – and hopefully we’ll get a sell-out crowd there for the game.

But there are probably still going to be demonstrations against Mike Ashley and that will not help the team.

If we are relegated we can have no complaints – because when you can take only one point in 10 games – that’s not good.

We’re hoping for the best,  but we just cannot see us beating West Ham.

But on the other hand a win is really what we need – and would be terrific and we’d be safe.

What do you think?

• Average_Contents

May 19, 2015 at 9:21 AM

Carverballs

On getting the job until the summer: “Sir Bobby is in the dugout with me”.

After only having 13 players available for a game: “We aren’t down to the bare bones yet”.

On recent performances: “if the players were like me we wouldn’t be losing”

Knobend.

• Ron Knee

May 19, 2015 at 9:21 AM

More Carverballs:
    On Kevin Mbabu going to Rangers on loan:
    “He’s got to not sink or swim but it’s an opportunity to start developing his career.”

• Average_Contents

May 19, 2015 at 9:22 AM

Jonas for player/coach 😉

I reckon he’d get more from the players than honest john. Saying that, any fcuker would.

• jimmysmith

May 19, 2015 at 9:28 AM

Ed, I know you just put the reports out there, but I’m sure we are all sick to death of anything publicly said by anyone associated with the club. 5 days of silence culminating in a professional, wholehearted performance on Saturday, is the only thing I want from that lot at this stage.

• Blackley and Brownlie

May 19, 2015 at 9:29 AM

Ron Knee

Well Carver should know about sinking and swimming. Ed has dubbed him “underwater”John Carver.

• hibbit

May 19, 2015 at 9:34 AM

i just wish it was over one way or the other so we can get on with our live’s this no good at all going over things over and over again getting at each other over the smallest thing when in reality we all want the same just to enjoy or football

• lochinvar

May 19, 2015 at 9:34 AM

Shearer drives off from the first tee the ball flying towards the golfers in front ” Fore” !
    Carver: ” no Alan I think you’re wrong there , we only need three points”

• Jail for Ashley

May 19, 2015 at 9:36 AM

Carverballs.
    Jan 29 2015
    “My role is a head coach. I’m not interested in who is coming in or who is going out”
    About six weeks later.
    “Mike (Ashley) and Lee Charnley know what they have to do and I’m telling you now if I was sitting here and I thought they were giving me lip service I would say ‘thanks very much, I’m off – I’m walking away from this’.

• Slank

May 19, 2015 at 9:37 AM

Ron @ 2

Feel sorry for Mbabu as there isn’t much of the season left at Rangers.

I watched on Sky the Rangers match against QOS and the outstanding player head and shoulders above everyone else on the field was Haris Vuckic. He has either come on leaps and bounds or all the players at Rangers are absolute rubbish which doesn’t bode well for Mbabu !

• Jail for Ashley

May 19, 2015 at 9:37 AM

Lochinvar,
    That is so god damn poor it didn’t need telling twice.

• Graeme

May 19, 2015 at 9:40 AM

With a win-rate of 10.5% Carver is the worst manager in the History of NUFC, yet the owner and MD seem to think he is wonderful!!!

He may well want to do it for the fans – he is simply not capable of it though. What a farce – it would be funny if it wasn’t so ridiculous.

• lochinvar

May 19, 2015 at 10:09 AM

JailforAshley@10
    It’s Ed man, I can’t keep up with his posts
    I’ll keep trying – some you win some you don’t !

• widowmagandapoke

May 19, 2015 at 1:36 PM

It is telling that Jonas, who couldn’t get a game earlier, is now one of ou better players. How far we have sunk under Ashley Carver and clueless Charnley.