This Is What Relegation Really Means At Newcastle

We’re starting to get that rather sick feeling we had six years ago – the last time we were relegated – because there is a real chance that Newcastle could become a Championship club next season, and even though it’s been coming these last few months when we have been losing all the time it, it will still be a massive shock.

newcastle fans

But on the positive side we are hoping that Manchester United will not lose at Hull on Sunday.

John Carver got together his squad and  the club’s training ground staff this week, and tried to instill in the players just how important the game is on Sunday and what they are playing for:

“It was all the travelling staff, what you might term the senior staff – the kit men, masseurs, doctors, physios.”

“A lot of those people were here when the club got relegated. I wanted to give everybody an opportunity to have their say, but this week is about being as positive as we can.”

“Forget about what’s gone on in the past, this is effectively a season in a week now,” “That was one of the reasons why I brought all of the staff into the meeting with the players this week.”

“There’s an awful lot of good local people who have been here a long time and a lot of their friends lost their jobs last time.”

“Sometimes that can be a motivation for players. We’re a tight group, and we’re going to be even tighter this week.”

People’s livelihoods are at stake on Sunday.

And as far as the fans are concerned it will be like a big kick in the teeth if we do go down.

If that happens the club will have let down both the City and the fans – who live and breathe football.

It will be so sad – too sad.

Will Newcastle Be Relegated On Sunday?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

How Will Newcastle Fare Against West Ham?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Vask

May 21, 2015 at 9:25 AM

Less televised matches. Not a great loss.

• MrMojoRisin76

May 21, 2015 at 9:25 AM

Repost

Anybody hear this yesterday

“He added: “It’s the biggest game for six years let’s face it, and I expect them to step up and perform and keep this club in the Premier League.

“We’ve got four or five players here from the last time this team was relegated. They know what it feels like and I watched on TV from a bar, I remember it so well.

“I saw the reaction of everyone, the emotions of Alan and the players and my own reaction was I didn’t talk to anyone for more than an hour after the game.

“I’ve explained the story to the players and hopefully I’ll get a reaction from that.”

What a truly inspirational/motivational speech,he couldn’t talk to anybody for a full 60 minutes after watching the game in a pub..I would normally say John is from Narnia but i think even the residents of Narnia would put this motherf@cker in the loony bin.

• John Tudor

May 21, 2015 at 9:28 AM

anyone heard the wally with the brolly is to be sacked inside 48 hours as derby have real’s coach

• mindshaft

May 21, 2015 at 9:32 AM

repost…

Advocaat said: “It was the way they worked, organised, and the tactics. I kept saying we would stay up if you believe in the players and the qualities you have. I said to the players they were not at a club like Sunderland because they were nice guys – I told them they were here because they were good players.”

Carver said: I have to admit there’s a chance they’re just not listening to me, that might be one factor of many and you have to consider it. All I will say is that the responses I’ve seen on the training ground don’t suggest that. I know it’s different playing matches.
    The players have given everything. They’ve had a go but sometimes the quality isn’t there, you’re just not good enough.

• BandB

May 21, 2015 at 9:34 AM

I don’t like this “come along or the puppy gets it” blackmail.
    It’s such crude propaganda it’s unbelievable.
    The fans don’t get to vote on relegation John. You have to avoid it by winning a game of football.
    Has anyone at the club grasped that the wheeler-dealing and spin counts for nothing unless you win games of football?

Ashley is going down. He is taking us down with him.
    He is a failed football club owner.
    He has to go.

• John Tudor

May 21, 2015 at 9:34 AM

absolute plonka

• MrMojoRisin76

May 21, 2015 at 9:35 AM

If only we could play all our Premier League games on the training ground,we’d be top of the league.

• BandB

May 21, 2015 at 9:41 AM

It is a real worry that the “focus” this week still seems more on getting one over on the fans than getting one over on West Ham.
    I think Ashley thinks THAT is where the competition is.

Sunday night….”Well, we lost boss, and we are down.”
    “Lost? They turned up, didn’t they?”

• mindshaft

May 21, 2015 at 9:43 AM

2014 Premier League wages average by club

1. Manchester City: £96,445 (3rd overall)

2. Manchester United: £89,988 (6th)

3. Chelsea: £83,713 (8th)

4. Arsenal: £77,963 (10th)

5. Liverpool: £67,486 (14th)

6. Tottenham: £54,077 (30th)

7. Aston Villa: £34,815 (80th)

8. Newcastle: £32,223 (87th)

9. Everton: £31,447 (90th)

10. Sunderland: £31,078 (94th)

11. Swansea: £31,015 (95th)

12. Fulham: £29,761 (104th)

13. WBA: £29,359 (109th)

14. West Ham: £27,394 (119th)

15. Southampton: £27,081 (121st)

16. Cardiff: £25,943 (128th)

17. Stoke: £25,938 (129th)

18. Norwich: £22,305 (164th)

19. Hull: £20,215 (174th)

20. Crystal Palace: £19,205 (177th)

Since this table ws made up we have lost Cabaye, Ameobi, Debuchy, HBA and MBiwa as well as loaning out Marvs
    Given that they were all purple players we can assume they were some of the highest wage earners at the club, they were replaced with Janmatt, Perez, Riviere, Cabella and Colback who are all on lower wages

Our average wage bill is now more likely to along the lines of West Brom / West Ham
    On the flip side , Southamptons wage bill has risen by 25%

• lochinvar

May 21, 2015 at 10:35 AM

Imagine a world class football club with exceptional fan base and association with the late great Sir Bobby Robson becoming involved with business partners such as Woolworths and Ratners.

I mean who would want to be associated with Sports Dire and Wonga ?

• nufconceandfuturekings

May 21, 2015 at 11:23 AM

I couldn’t agree more with Lochinvar — our wonderful club associated with pay day loan companies and zero hour contracts. It’s sobering, to say the absolute least, that come this Sunday, what truly goes around comes around. There would be a degree of poetic justice, apart from the painful reality that MA and Co frankly couldn’t care less, whilst its the fans who experience the agony, the dedicated club staff who receive the sharp end of the employment stick. Ever optimistic in my support for my beloved Toon [got to be, it’s the Toon for goodness’ sake!], I am hoping it’s not our destiny to be relegated, but a win I just cannot see, the great black and white represented as it is by some players who really couldn’t care less. Their mantra post Sunday will be…Newcastle who? Anyway, my heart says survival. We shall see.