Newcastle New Head Coach Search – The Plot Thickens

Steve McClaren is refusing to resign from Derby County and the Press Association is reporting the 54 year-old has been asked to resign after he met the Chief Executive, Sam Rush, and incoming Chairman, Mel Morris, last night but he is refusing to resign.

It seems that Derby believe the approaches made by Newcastle are responsible for Derby’s drop off in form in the second half of the season, when they finished in 8th place and only won only two of their last 13 games, but did draw six of them.

steve mcClaren

Steve McClaren – has refused to resign at Derby County

The approach from Newcastle was made to his agent and quickly rejected, as Steve committed himself to Derby County.

There was news last night that McClaren had been sacked and that Paul Clement could be the new manager, but apparently Burnley manager Sean Dyche is also being considered.

Steve McClaren has already turned down Newcastle twice – the first time in January after Alan Pardew suddenly left, and then when the Championship season ended, Steve was asked to come in and manage Newcastle for the last three games of the season, after the job seemed too much for John Carver, and we had lost eight games in a row.

Steve McClaren was Newcastle’s number one choice and we assume Newcastle will wait until something is worked out between McClaren and Derby – presumably either he will formally resign or be sacked.

Then Newcastle could make an approach maybe as early as next week.

Steve is an easy choice for Newcastle and would be willing to work under the strict restrictions imposed by owner Mike Ashley, and he also already knows Graham Carr – and since Newcastle seem to like to keep things within the family we expect Newcastle to try to sign Steve.

We reported on that possibility earlier today.

But John Carver was appointed because he was part of the family – part of the in-crowd at Newcastle – and that hasn’t worked out too well and his star has fallen very rapidly on Tyneside.

That’s been because of his poor (disastrous) coaching,  man-management and the bizarre press conferences he has given where he’s said some of the most ridiculous things.

We hope Newcastle have a long think about things after Sunday, and go out and appoint a top coach who can bring success back to Newcastle, and he can also bring in his own coaching staff.

That’s always  dependent on Newcastle staying in the Premier League on Sunday, which is by no means certain.

But if we were to hazard a guess as to Newcastle bringing in a top coach with his own coaching staff in the summer – there is probably very little chance of that.

It seems Newcastle are more concerned about keeping to their failed polices of running the club and making money – than trying to make Newcastle successful.

And that’s a tragedy for a club as great as Newcastle United.

• Pokat

May 22, 2015 at 11:03 PM

Please let it get as likely as the PEA articles.

• jane

May 22, 2015 at 11:08 PM

am I right in thinking if he is sacked he is paid a year’s salary but if he resigns he gets nothing? he’s not daft.

• Pokat

May 22, 2015 at 11:09 PM

I’d just like to say that McLaren is one of the finest managers in the country and would suit us perfectly.

But I can’t because it’s not true.

• lesh

May 22, 2015 at 11:12 PM

Ouch!

What a stinging blog Dr Ed – well, your kind words about poor old, misunderstood John Carver and the dark forces that own and run Newcastle United.

There’s an allusion to John Carver’s star falling (in Ashley’s eyes?) however the owner and his lackies seem to exist in another world where there are no stars to be seen in that world revolves around money.

Ashley and his cronies must live in a dark, dark world.

• Average_Contents

May 22, 2015 at 11:12 PM

Sorry, I know I said I’m sick of the mere mention of him but fcuk me!

Seriously?

Where’s iantoon the horrible man thing? This was definitely him.

He said: “I’ve had a few Newcastle fans suggest to me that it would have been an easier season if I had stayed, let’s put it that way.

I can visualise him doing that little wink wink ya kna wot a mean. Said with the arrogance of a complete and utter kunt who thinks he’s good enough to manage the top 4 clubs aswell as England. Deluded twat.

• JackButler

May 22, 2015 at 11:17 PM

Old Stevie boy is waiting for the pay off as he knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that mizer Mike will flat out refuse to pay for him to leave and Steve wants a pay off.

You’d have thought that after overseeing shambles after shambles Ashley would have learned his lesson and done the right thing

• G

May 22, 2015 at 11:18 PM

McClaren has won a pot, followed by relegation, fluked a few results in holland, jumped ship to Germany, lost loads, sacked, returned to Holland, remind us how that went? Bankrupt Forest, now shafted Derby because he saw money heading his way, and now he is the man to lead our fight? I really wish I had been born in to a family that followed Carlisle United or similar. In the words of Rodger Daltrey, ‘Meet the new boss, same as the old boss’

• banjax

May 22, 2015 at 11:55 PM

McClaren has played his end all wrong and in doing so he has shown no real desire to manage Newcastle. He won’t resign from Derby because he would lose the salary due for the full term of his contract at Derby. So he is a loser always up and as such we don’t want anymore of those (losers) at Newcastle !

• Blackstarbullet

May 23, 2015 at 2:21 AM

Why oh why would we want him now? He turned us down in our hour of need and if he comes now then I fear the fans would be unforgiving and berate him from day one.

• WLtoon

May 23, 2015 at 7:40 AM

Maclaren wont last 5 mins at this club if he started badly,thats saying he did come.
    The fans have a huge barrier up at the minute so any sign of negativity from any potential Carver replacement would be treated with hasty disdain, and rightfully so.
    We all know we wont get a top coach,they cost money, so we will have to make do with the also rans.

• tweeds

May 23, 2015 at 1:51 PM

McClaren would be a decent choice in my opinion and I don’t known why a lot of people are so much against him, but I’m not going to say too much cos I’m one of those who wanted to give carver a chance and I don’t think I’ve been more wrong about anything in my life