Newcastle One Of The Best Clubs In The World

When Alan Pardew left Newcastle it seemed it would be the biggest club he ever managed, and that he would draw on all the experiences he had during some (very) tough times at the club – over four years,  and that already seems to be happening.

Earlier today we published an article where Alan said he would send messages of encouragement  to Carver and the senior players in an effort to help them win the game against West Ham on Sunday.

alan pardew chelsea 99

Alan Pardew – while at Newcastle

Now Alan has gone even further and refers to Newcastle as one of the best clubs in the world:

“I’ve had a few Newcastle fans suggest to me that it would have been an easier season if I had stayed, let’s just put it that way,”  “I had some difficult times at the start but we managed to turn that around and I have gone on record as saying that I can look back with pride that I managed to come through that.”

“If I doubted myself we wouldn’t have done that seven-match unbeaten run (it was six).” “I am disappointed for the players staff and fans. Sometimes you get in a rut and it’s difficult to get out of.”

“It’s one of the best clubs in the world and they just need to get over the line on Sunday and I hope John Carver and the team win.” “Their destiny is in their own hands. They need to win that game and then the Hull result is irrelevant and that’s where their focus should be.”

“And I’m sure the stadium will be in tip-top shape in terms of positivity to help the team get over the line.”

That first sentence is hard to take, but it’s obviously correct – there’s no way we would be in this mess if Alan had stayed – that may be difficult to accept for some fans – but it’s the truth.

Pardew has managed for 18 games and gained 29 points by our reckoning for Crystal Palace since he joined them, and John Carver has managed the same number of games and gained 10 points.

That’s why Pardew was the top man at Newcastle and Carver was his assistant.

If Crystal Palace win at Swansea on Sunday they could finish in 10th place with 48 points and that’s a fantastic turnaround for Pardew.

Palace were third bottom on 16 points after 19 games when he joined them at the beginning of the year.

• JackButler

May 22, 2015 at 11:19 PM

Pardew was the best of a rotten lot, lets not get carried away and forget that he was well below average at NUFC simply because Carvers record is making him look like a tactical genius

• Pokat

May 22, 2015 at 11:24 PM

John’s a great guy I hope he wins,although I’ve had a few people quite rightly remind me it wouldn’t have happened if I was still there, which is academic because I dived overboard before I could get stuck with another disastrous loss record. I’m right behind you John, 37%

Shut up Pardew cram that eel pie down yer neck

• G

May 22, 2015 at 11:28 PM

I don’t think too many people who’s opinions matter suggested AP was a bad manager, just not the right manager for the toon. Most ov us stand by that comment, whilst commending him for his Palace work, and look forward to the next stage of rot removal at our club.

• Sleepin Giant

May 22, 2015 at 11:28 PM

Pardew is mediocre at best. Maybe he’s at his best at Palace.

• Average_Contents

May 22, 2015 at 11:31 PM

Jimmy

How was your “ifs and buts” post misrepresented by myself? I covered most of it but took exception to your “just accept it” special.

You said the fans should just accept we are in a uneasy alliance with the slug but show him our displeasure.

I say we shouldn’t accept anything else after 8 years of being shat on from a great height while he laughs his fcuking tits off. I say bollox mate.

• Belfast

May 22, 2015 at 11:33 PM

He would have kept us up alright. We would have still been absolutely shite though.

Probably would have lost six on the bounce instead of eight.

Better but not by much.

• Average_Contents

May 22, 2015 at 11:34 PM

Pokat

I posted this last thread.

Sorry, I know I said I’m sick of the mere mention of him but fcuk me!

Seriously?

Where’s iantoon the horrible man thing? This was definitely him.

He said: “I’ve had a few Newcastle fans suggest to me that it would have been an easier season if I had stayed, let’s put it that way.

I can visualise him doing that little wink wink ya kna wot a mean. Said with the arrogance of a complete and utter kunt who thinks he’s good enough to manage the top 4 clubs aswell as England. Deluded twat.

• jimmysmith

May 22, 2015 at 11:38 PM

There you again, “……but took exception to your “just accept it” special.”

Won’t hold water. Naughty and pointless.

• Average_Contents

May 22, 2015 at 11:40 PM

Jimmy

I like your style. It’s very subtle and quite difficult to detect but we both know what you mean. Hidden beneath all the ifs and butts is the crux of your stance.

Better the devil you know and all that.

If I’m off base let me know.

• Average_Contents

May 22, 2015 at 11:42 PM

If that’s the case then please enlighten me as to what you meant by it?

I know jimmy.

• Average_Contents

May 22, 2015 at 11:43 PM

*buts. Damn it.

• jimmysmith

May 22, 2015 at 11:50 PM

My stance is stand up to him and exercise your voice and power, which is considerable, and if he goes, well and good, and if he stays, force him to straighten his bat. I don’t subscribe to Ashley out at any measure and any cost. I don’t object to others having that view. I’m less keen on having my own distorted.

• jane

May 22, 2015 at 11:52 PM

better the devil you know if you can’t win the war. think I’ve missed my vocation as a proverb writer.

• Average_Contents

May 23, 2015 at 12:06 AM

Ok jimmy

Understood.

Perhaps if you just stated what you think then you’re posts wouldn’t get misconstrued and not for the first time and by just me I might add.

For instance “better the devil you know”

Still not buying it though 😀

• ToonMatt

May 23, 2015 at 12:19 AM

“One of the best clubs in the world”? This coming from a man who said on several occasions that we can’t compete with the likes of Swansea, Southampton etc, Yet was constantly praising Mike Ashley, Go away Alan and crawl back under that rock, You patronizing, spineless little coward.

• jimmysmith

May 23, 2015 at 12:30 AM

AC, Pal, again, “For instance “better the devil you know”

Have never, ever, said it, and doubt I ever will.

Anyway, Haway the Toon!

• sickandtired

May 23, 2015 at 12:39 AM

Ed is at it again. Christ sake, Pardew’s ‘record’ is now with half a new team signed in the January window.
    This period last season he W5 and L14. Same period season of 12/13 he W, L11 and had us in 16th fighting relegation in the 2nd last game against an already relegated QPR.
    He wants to STFup and stop believing his own hype, and Ed needs to stop talking shyte.

• sickandtired

May 23, 2015 at 12:40 AM

W6 that was

• Average_Contents

May 23, 2015 at 12:46 AM

Anyway

HWTF HWTL

• Ultra Mag-ness

May 23, 2015 at 12:47 AM

Pardew was not good enough to manage newcastle, his results were poor and he lost the dressing room – carver is equally inept if not worse – this is not a criticism of either person as an individual bu

• Average_Contents

May 23, 2015 at 12:48 AM

Sickandtired

Bang on

The guys delusions know no bounds.

That’s the last I’m speaking about the cretin lol

• Laurent Robert 32

May 23, 2015 at 12:53 AM

He already nearly relegated us with a better team, and it was external factors which bailed him out, not through his astute management. No assurances that we wouldn’t have been slumped towards the bottom of the table and playing the same brand of mind-numbing football. He only looks better than Carver because he isn’t even a manager. Gets a few wins in a row and he thinks he’s Guardiola, forgetting the abysmal start and slump after.

Good riddance.

It’s about breaking down the regime, not keeping the elements of it.

ashleyout.com

• Ultra Mag-ness

May 23, 2015 at 1:18 AM

Pardew was awful as a manger, he had awful results, regularly picked the wrong teams and tactics for the players he had and I am glad he has gone – unfortunately Ashley AND Charnley were poor in promoting Carver and I wish he wasn’t here ! I have more resentment to Pardew because he is a “manager” where as Carver is a coach – no less no more! Despite this the common factor is Ashley, and while I don’t absolve Pardew or Carver for taking an option that would not have been available otherwise, Ashley has no clue about running a football team – he would probably admit it if anyone could get time with him!

My thoughts are avoid buying NUFC merchandise, don’t buy Sports Direct sold products, don’t immediately re-new season tickets when they go on sale and state on public media daily that you are NUFC till you die but you relinquish your involvement until Ashley makes the club competitive within a match and not purely on a balance sheet.

The club should be self sufficient and to that degree we need to be prudent in not wasting money – that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t ever not spend money.

No real NUFC fan should have to go through the appalling treatment we have had to encounter to simply make another man rich – we didn’t ask for Ashley and we sure didn’t ask for the drivel,that has been served to use since he bought the club

• Reyantoon

May 23, 2015 at 4:41 AM

I won’t watch our game anyway but if we do survive and appoint McLaren, I will be disappointed considering there are decent mgrs waiting our call.
    On a side note,
    I think Williamson doesn’t deserve too much criticism.Yes he is slow player and not good on the ball but he hardly make costly mistakes.He was our player of the season last season or so.He one time made great defensive partnership with Colo,that lead him to be our best player.
    He is good in the air,if not perfect.Has more experience than Dummett & Staylor.
    So,he should still partner Colo in central defense than Dummett.
    The main reason some of our key players like sissoko, Sammy,including Williamson were in poor form is b/c of poor coaching & training by…. you know who…!
    And I’d rather see Anita partner colback than Abeid in MF.Abeid fairly made couple of good tackles in the past.Other than that, he is not good in passing the ball as well as controlling the midfield.
    Gets nervous, and usually exposed in MF.
    That’s why he was not considered recently.And he is the other player that I’d like to see shipped out & replaced!

• Thump

May 23, 2015 at 5:26 AM

Carver and Jeff don’t count, Alan.

Now, do everybody a favour and do one, you horrible, dirty, lying, snide pr1ck.

• Laurent Robert 32

May 23, 2015 at 7:22 AM

He also failed to mention the 14 goals in 5 games which we conceded just before he left, which led to 4 defeats in 5.

The little run of wins made it look better than it was, as we reverted back to the usual losing streak thereafter, which looking at previous history, is pretty much the norm for him.

• Reyantoon

May 23, 2015 at 7:31 AM

Thump
    What are u on about this few days regarding Pardew? What has he done to get horrible abuse and insult from you?
    Never relegated us,never lied,and if he were here,we’d have been safe 6 or 7 games ago,even challenging top eight by now.He was forced out by fans,no one else.Look where we are now since he left.
    If u think he left b/c he gets better offer,think again.I am waiting to here from those who criticised and slate him ,including you,if we end up with the worst John.which could happen, isn’t it??

• Sir Braveheart

May 23, 2015 at 7:44 AM

Ed…you’re covering the same ground mate. Two articles out of one interview? Is that really necessary?

How about a retro article on the last time we got relegated? Where were you on that last day and how did it feel for you?

Or since this is going to be the last game for Jonas something reflecting on his time here?

A preview of Hull – Man Utd, what the team sheets likely to say and what are the chances Hull will pull off a win?

An update on our players loaned out – Vuckic has been on fire north of the border, is that something to be hopeful about next season?

Just a few suggestions.

• Mag52

May 23, 2015 at 7:56 AM

Reyantoon.

You know what it’s all about ?
    It’s about the usual suspects on here, with relegation staring us in the face and the prospect of a few, if not more, seasons spent in the championship, letting off steam against the manager they all played their part in getting rid of in a pathetic attempt to justify their abusive campaign against him, and to,somehow, prove that they were right in what they did and that we would have been in a similar position were AP still here. It’s hard to think there’s not an element of feeling guilty behind all the bluster.

• north_country_boy

May 23, 2015 at 7:59 AM

Needs to start with this team tomorrow and go at them from the start, not have them on for last 10 mins! We don’t want to play safe and prolong the agony. Play this team, be 3 up at half time and then settle down and if need be take off Cisse, De Jong and Aarons once their work is done (however we all know Charver will more likely start Rivière, Guti, Anita and Taylor before this lot and make us suffer 80 mins of agony before thinking “oops I need a goal and bring them on!)

KRUL
    JANMAAT COLO WILLO DUMMETT
    SISSOKO COLBACK
    DE JONG
    PEREZ CISSE AARONS

• Average_Contents

May 23, 2015 at 8:01 AM

Thump

Don’t forget iantoon who wrote smutty letters and no doubt mentioned how much he missed him. That’s 3 we know of lol