Our Man Of The March Is Now A Newcastle Legend

If you had written about what would happen to Jonas Gutierrez when he returned to Newcastle earlier this year,  after his gutsy and winning fight against testicular cancer – nobody would have believed you.

But Jonas has written his legend into the annals of Newcastle United, by putting is some very good performances for Newcastle in their fight against relegation and today he was terrific – and made Moussa Sissoko’s goal after 54 minutes with an inch perfect cross from the left wing – and then  sealed the all important win with a goal with his left foot which was nicely deflected past goalkeeper Adrian.

jonas gutierrez

Jonas Gutierrez – this will become a famous photo of the Newcastle legend

For the record, Jonas appeared 11 times this year for Newcastle with that one goal today, and in his seven year career on Tyneside Jonas has played 205 times with 12 goals.

And Vurnon Anita had his best game ever for Newcastle when it really mattered, and he was excellent in the middle of the park today for the side – well done Vurnon Anita.

indeed Jonas and Anita got 93% of the vote between them, and they were the two outstanding players today with Janmaat in third place after another good game.

Jonas was a hero today and will forever be remembered in the annals of Newcastle United.

And the players did themselves proud today – and maybe now one or two of them may even stay – after seeing what it like to play at Newcastle when they give 100% and fight for the shirt.

The Newcastle fans today were simply magnificent and St. James’ Park and the pitch looked absolutely fantastic.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against West Ham?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• JackButler

May 24, 2015 at 11:34 PM

You can sometimes doubt his quality, but no one can ever doubt his commitment and effort. Jonas deserve’s all the praise he gets 🙂

• jimmysmith

May 24, 2015 at 11:35 PM

And booked. hahaha! Ashley surely can’t see scenes like that and not realize what he’s got.

• JackButler

May 24, 2015 at 11:37 PM

jimmy

The noise when we scored was amazing, the first person to get it right at NUFC will bring about something very, very special

• smoke beer, drink tabs

May 24, 2015 at 11:40 PM

I said this weeks ago, and my opinion is by no way swayed by guti’s performance today, but we need to keep him for another year. He is exactly wot Newcastle need at the min, 100% commitment and a grafters attitude. Ok his quality lacks at times, but u know exactly wot u get from him, he is a very good squad player who will run his balls off every week. Would sooner see the back of gouffran ameobi obertan etc and keep Gutierrez no bother!!!

• Riviere Run Dry

May 24, 2015 at 11:41 PM

Ah, my name change is finally approved! Repost due to folks missing my first post under my new guise.

Shearer was my idol growing up, always disappointed that he never really goes in hard enough on Mash when presented with the chance.

I’ve said this before, but Brady from Hull would be a cracking signing. Great crosser of the ball, hits them with pace and accuracy and has equally good set-pieces – would probably cost less than £5m and would mean it’d allow Dummet to be primarily a CB. Austin, Ings, a leading, experienced CB, a classy playmaker of Cabaye calibre and a top RW and we’re making progress, all of course with calamity Carver and his merry men heading for the exit.

£34m in the bank and £8m from Mbiwa and Santon sales. So we should have £40m+ before any sales, all accounted for self-sufficiently, so there’s no reason why it shouldn’t be available, surely a juicy carrot for any prospective manager.

• toon22

May 24, 2015 at 11:42 PM

Keep him at the club,he is the only thing right about us atm

• Blackley and Brownlie

May 24, 2015 at 11:45 PM

I’m all for Carver getting the manager’s job at NUFC. But first he has to go to a couple of clubs and show that he is a top manager. For some reason Carver telling us he’s the best manager isn’t quite enough for me.

• Blackley and Brownlie

May 24, 2015 at 11:49 PM

Ed
    Headline spelling error. I see you’ve corrected an earlier one.

• optimistic prime

May 24, 2015 at 11:50 PM

Spend above our station

Haha

• Average_Contents

May 24, 2015 at 11:51 PM

Stuart

I posted this earlier mate.

The man knows no shame.

Oh my fcuking goodness.

When we lose its not his fault it was the players but we win it was down to him being the inspiration.

This must be the reason why he totally blanked you after running past the dugout then john.

Honest john you are a desperate man now fcukoff you weasel.

Carver said after the 2-0 win over West Ham: “Well, you might not believe this, but this is true. Two days ago, I sat with him in my office and I said to him, ‘You could write your own fairytale’.

“We talked about how he had been a top player for this football club, left and went to Norwich, came back, had the illness, recovered from it, got back into the team, and I said, ‘You could just be the one who gets us that winning goal to get us over the line’.

• Riviere Run Dry

May 24, 2015 at 11:51 PM

Ya’ know, I always find it hard to take when Jonas is accused of lacking quality, I’ve been guilty of it myself in the past, but I think it’s one of those commonly held myths that’s become ‘fact’ through repetition, relative to others in our squad he’s still above average, sliding balls through for Colback and the slouch Cisse, well timed tackles, composed on the ball, best cross of the match, most dribbles. I think it’s just a hangover from before he had his grave news where he admittedly wasn’t playing well for quite a while. Certainly in recent weeks he’s been above the rest in terms of quality and commitment – a new lease of life. One of the few genuine characters and leaders in the team. He’s reportedly on £45k pw, if he’d take 30-35k for a year, a typical sum for our better squad players, I’d be chuffed and would hand him the club captaincy. Forever in Geordie hearts now, he can’t leave, though I wouldn’t blame him for returning home to balmy S.America or to the warmer climes of Spain/Italy.

• Blackley and Brownlie

May 24, 2015 at 11:51 PM

Dummett was far better than Janmaat, whose delivery is shocking.

• Our Toon

May 24, 2015 at 11:53 PM

In a team or should I say squad thay lacks leaders we have Jonas who optimises everything we desperately require in and around the team next year. Fight, desire, mental toughness and work rate which is just phenomenal considering what he went through!! I hope we keep him on but what a fitting way to sign off. Thank you Jonas

• Riviere Run Dry

May 24, 2015 at 11:53 PM

Carver’s comments are always pathetic, like an impersonation of flash-man egotist Pardew, without the shiny hair, face and smile. Take all the credit, deflect all the blame.

• optimistic prime

May 24, 2015 at 11:53 PM

Well chuffed for Guiterez!

Bigger balls and more commitment than the rest of the squad combined

Good luck alawys Guti

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

May 24, 2015 at 11:55 PM

The last few games Anita has played for us he has been excellent he does the dirty stuff you need to keep things going him and Colback were solid in the middle with Sissoko in his proper position which is wide right !

Jonas should get another years deal he can be a good influence in the dressing room and with a proper pre season behind him would be useful squad player

The thing I worry is the deadwood , are we really going to get money for Obertan , Gouffran etc ?

I honestly think Moyes will be announced as the new manager

• nufc 11

May 25, 2015 at 12:01 AM

Some good players frn the relegated teams would deform improve us next season Austin, ings, diame, Robertson , Dawson, Boyd and Matt Phillips few others depending on who leave we look for more of a British spine.

• jimmysmith

May 25, 2015 at 12:06 AM

I understand the whole Ashley’a a remorseless cnut argument, but his interview on Sky rings just as true. I don’t know what is closest to the mark, although I do worry about his capacity to bring success to the club, considering his non footballing background and the faith he appears to have put in the likes of Charnley. One note for optimism though is provided by human nature. Successful people do tend to give back once they’ve succeeded. Maybe it’s guilt, more likely a natural reevaluation of life as it unfolds, but it does happen, and Ashley is very wealthy now, over 50, and has for the first time publicly accepted personal responsibility for what could be seen as highly cathartic season at a truly special club that does now, and for the first time in this modern era, have it’s own money to reinvest.

• SA Toon

May 25, 2015 at 12:08 AM

I’m just so stoked that we stayed up – and that we did it for ourselves! I see Sissoko now says he wants to stay at NUFC which is great news. We now need to appoint a manager asap and then start strengthening the squad. Dare to dream!

• lochinvar

May 25, 2015 at 12:13 AM

Keep Jonas for the full season ahead and he will also be invaluable in the pre-season and helping new / young players understand what playing for the toon is all about.

If and when he has other horizons give him a testimonial with proceeds split between SBR Foundation / Testicular Cancer Reseach and whatever is reasonable for his part.

Apart from the assist and the goal his passion reignited the flame.

• usmagpie

May 25, 2015 at 1:14 AM

Jonas Mike Ashley should offer you a two – three year contract for what you done today. And that also the best I have seen out of Anita. Now that looked like a battling team, well lads this has to happen all the time and its not over until its over. I told my daughter this morning at 7am when we started to watch the game, if Newcastle stay up you get the a new Newcastle shirt. With that she left the room under the advisement of my wife. I then sat there going nuts with miss after miss and then with a slip down the left and a perfect cross it was singing in my house and my daughter appears only nine years old and not really understanding the whole concept of what the gravity of this game meant, shouted woo woo I get a new shirt. Funniest thing ever, me nail biting heart racing up and down. Make mater worse now my kid thinks she is getting a new shirt. So now I am sitting watching the game hoping we win so she can, number two goes in and yes once again shouting commences with me dancing around and there she is, New Shirt song singing at the top of her voice. Funny game football, heart attacks for me watching the game, wardrobe for daughter. Make it right Mike and don’t let my kid down next year.

• lesh

May 25, 2015 at 2:15 AM

‘Our man of the march’?

Wiv norrarf gone posh arliva sudden.

Will be patting tge passy on the Cushing end pashing it wiwa fatt next.

• Phil K

May 25, 2015 at 11:02 AM

Jonas is one of the all too few players who actually feel for the fans. And it showed. He identifies with the fans, so it was poetic justice he scored the winner