Newcastle Has Been A Big Part Of My Life

Jonas Gutierrez has played his last game for Newcastle United, and the Argentine International made 205 appearances for the club with 12 goals, the last appearance and the last goal being yesterday in the sensational 2-0 win at home to West Ham that saved Newcastle’s Premier League status  at the death.

Jonas was easily our Man of the Match with 64% of the vote – as he cemented his place in the annals of Newcastle United’s great history.

jonas gutierrez after scoring west ham

Jonas after scoring after 85 minutes to seal the vital win

Jonas has been an inspiration to many, the way he fought testicular cancer and won the battle, but also by the way he has come back this year. and showed unbelievable courage and fortitude to force himself into the Newcastle first team and has been one of our best players – certainly no other player has given more than the 31 year-old this year.

This is some of what Jonas has said after yesterday’s critical win:

“This club needs to change to improve and move forward.” “It has to fight in the top 10, no less than that.” “We have to learn about this season, the mistakes that we have been making and don’t do it again.”

“Since I had the treatment, the only thing that I was thinking was recovery,” “To be honest, playing football was not even in my thoughts.” “Chemo is a harsh treatment. Your body really feels it. You lose your hair with the medication.”

“It is hard watching your body in that state.” “But then when the medication is finished, it got nicer because every day, I was improving.” “Then the doctor said ‘okay, you can start again’ and I thought ‘Let’s see what happens’.”

“I did not know how my body would react but one day I did a two minute run, the next day four and so on.” “I ended up running the Buenos Aires marathon!”

“I have finished my contract so I take it like that,”  “This club has been a big part of my life. Seven years? Not many players stay that long.”

“Of course I have not played much in the last two years because of my illness. There have been many ups and downs but I have enjoyed playing here and it has been an amazing finish.”

Mike Ashley gave his first interview ever since he bought Newcastle eight years ago, and it was to Sky Sports when he arrives at the ground,  and while he’s been taken apart by some sections of the Newcastle fan base.

What he did say was encouraging, and we were impressed with the way Mike explained himself and how he took the responsibility immediately for the plight Newcastle were in yesterday – before the game started.

Mike did talk to the press for the first time,  and he did say for the first time that he now wanted to win something at the club – and those two things taken together should have been very good news.

But there is cynicism among the Newcastle fans,  and we’ll just have to wait and see what happens this summer.

We are very hopeful that Mike was so shocked by what has happened this year – that he will spend big money this summer to build up a bigger and better squad for next season.

Unfortunately it will not include Jonas Gutierrez – but he made lasting memories yesterday,  and will now leave Newcastle as a real legend.

Jonas will always be remembered for the unbelievable guts and courage he has shown over these last two years – which came to a head in sensational style yesterday afternoon – when he scored the all important second goal five minutes from time to seal the win – our first in more than twelve weeks.

You really  cannot make this stuff up.

Well done Jonas Gutierrez.

• jane

May 25, 2015 at 11:40 PM

if that was his last game what a way to finish.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

May 25, 2015 at 11:41 PM

Jonas is on big wages but I think we should give him another contract possibly on less wages

A decent squad player who would be good for dressing room morale , hes a leader and we dont have too many of them !

So many blogs and newspapers reporting tonight that Ashley is having a change of heart , transfer blueprint changed , trying for trophies and no longer selling players the stepping stone dream …..

Lets see if it happens !!

Did not realise Laudrup will be on a free transfer next week I know he had a falling out near the end of Swansea but he is still relatively young and if we change the transfer blueprint could do well with bigger funds !! His signing of Michu was genius for Swansea

I would take the football Swansea played under him every week

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

May 25, 2015 at 11:42 PM

• Sazzer

May 25, 2015 at 11:42 PM

• karl_90

May 25, 2015 at 11:44 PM

WHAT A MAN! True Geordie

• Lindisfarne

May 25, 2015 at 11:44 PM

jane

Your list has 8 players coming in last summer but I seem to remember 9(?) left at the end of their contracts, plus Santon and Mbiwa in January and it is generally accepted the squad has been too thin for at least a season. This summer there are 4 squad players out of contract, so another 8 new additions would only put us 1 player up.

• jane

May 25, 2015 at 11:50 PM

Lindisfarne these are the players that left last summer I think so overall the squad should be much stronger at the end of this summer than it was before last summer.
    Dan Gosling Free
    Jonathan Mitchell Free
    Conor Newton Free
    James Tavernier £900,000
    Shola Ameobi Released
    Mathieu Debuchy £12,000,000
    Romain Amalfitano Free
    Steven Logan Undisclosed
    Brandon Miele Released
    Jonathan Mitchell Released
    Michael Richardson Released

• nightfa11

May 25, 2015 at 11:52 PM

what a story…a movie script.. 🙂

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

May 25, 2015 at 11:55 PM

Our most expensive signings last summer were our worst players !! Riviere , Cabella and De Jong for one reason or another done nothing all year !!!

Perez , Colback and Janmaat have been good signings

Our flops may come good under a proper manager as well

See Spurs are being linked with signing Kieran Trippier from Burnley for 3.5 million? Bargain we should be all over that for back up / competition for Janmaat

• jane

May 25, 2015 at 11:57 PM

Saido Berahino would be my pick, think he a natural instinctive finisher who could be 20 goals a season.

• jane

May 25, 2015 at 11:59 PM

time to sign off nite 🙂

• Pokat

May 26, 2015 at 12:02 AM

I take it scout has gone to bed shame I was going to ask how long since he was promoted from the cubs. Well scout I dunno what’s wrong with using my mother’s Internet it seems,as good as anyones ha ha but you are as thick as a dockers sarnie not an insult btw a compliment.

The proof mike ashley cares about a ” few poxy season tickets” is his extremely rare and forced appearance – in a TIE! It has PR rescue stunt written all over it, and yes you are in fact a DUPE. Sorry that was harsh. You are in fact a slack witted hapless dupe that’s better lol.

And now let’s move forward on to your point about ” who sees an SD advert and thinks oh right I need to go buy ” – ha ha are you really that naive? Go and Google why huge corporates who turn over billions a year spend up to 10% of their gross income on advertising. Go on. Then come back and say that utter utter s***e again I dare you without looking like the aforementioned slack jawed slow witted hair chewing pants trasher you seem to be atm. Kids!

• Sazzer

May 26, 2015 at 12:03 AM

Sounds like Willo is our ideal target in that Mirror article.

Rubbish. But I guess they will consider Rickie Lambert after we miss out on Austin, Berahino, Ings and Mitrovic.

• Pokat

May 26, 2015 at 12:08 AM

Oh and scouty baby, I was at the match son and there were Wonga shirts there, but noticeably not that many the majority of the crowd and I mean the majority did not. it’s bound to happen that there are still a small percentage of fans who do not engage in social media and also the people of the type that vote for Carver to stay in the job, oh and hapless etc dupes , who will not only buy Ashleys tat but wear it like it’s a good thing. Can’t help those who can’t help themselves I suppose.

• Pokat

May 26, 2015 at 12:12 AM

And Finally. If that’s you Jonas, farewell and best wishes. Always liked you, hated Pardew for playing you out of position and nursing his crap left backs oh and doing all the harrying for a pathetic midfield who couldn’t find a striker if they fell over one in a cupboard. Adios Y Gracias

• Lindisfarne

May 26, 2015 at 12:18 AM

Squad / first team players who played in the PL.

OUT:

Colback
    Perez
    Siem
    Cabella
    Rivière
    Janmaat

You are right to be optimistic and ever hopeful, but I am just pointing out that the ‘continuous investment’ in the squad is nothing more than keeping the ball rolling and actually a cost that is being reduced. The statement from MA was intended to instill belief but is just condescending and inaccurate. Until they can publicly accept the reality then I expect nothing more than the same policies to continue, with another Head Coach / Yes man.

• Toon-Prodigy

May 26, 2015 at 12:22 AM

Give the lad a rolling 1 year contract. He could be a very decent squad player.

When I look at Riviere and Cabella, the Taylors.

We could do alot worse.

• Magpie Season

May 26, 2015 at 12:36 AM

West Ham are linked with Slaven Bilic & we are linked with championship managers.

• expatmag

May 26, 2015 at 12:37 AM

TP

Totally agree. Pay off Obertan and keep Jonas.

Get rid of Sammy and use his wages to offer an increase to Aarons or part of.

• Magpie Season

May 26, 2015 at 12:42 AM

expat,

Can you guarantee Aarons will stay fit? I would keep both. Sammy being a local lad.

Look at Liverpool with Sturridge.

• expatmag

May 26, 2015 at 1:03 AM

Magpie

Noone can guarantee fitness, especially at our club but we have a potential top quality talent that should be nurtured.

As for Sammy, being a local lad is not anywhere near the top requirements I see for keeping players in the 25 man list. Ge gas had numerous chances and rarely shines. At his age, it is time to move to a level he may well be more suited like the championship.

• Toon-Prodigy

May 26, 2015 at 1:11 AM

Expat,

Deffo. Can we run a poll on keeping Jonas on as a squad player? Surely he merits being a part of the 25 when you look at our squad as it is? The work he has put in.

I hope this is a new direction for the club. Im feeling pretty buoyed for this summer. We know it had to be done anyway but he never needed to come out like he did and im taking that as a positive. I know the past has been shocking but just maybe it’s a summer to be proud of. If he has realised, im willing to forgive if he does right by the club and lets us compete and build a decent squad.

He is going to look very stupid now if he dosn’t push us on.

• Sazzer

May 26, 2015 at 1:15 AM

I don’t think we should give Jonas a new contract just because he scored an important goal yesterday.

• Blackley and Brownlie

May 26, 2015 at 1:16 AM

That Charnley Vine. The pressure. I’ve never seen a tea boy so relieved and delighted at the same time. Relief. Delight. Relief. Delight. Relief. Delight. Orgasm. Relief.

• Toon-Prodigy

May 26, 2015 at 1:19 AM

I hope this is true!

Rip the whole transfer policy up and get some top experienced players through the door.

• HarriboNo9

May 26, 2015 at 1:30 AM

“Tarique Fosu” has played 20 times for the under21s and scored 5 goals and 3 assists from right midfield.

In case anyone wanted to know 🙂

• Sazzer

May 26, 2015 at 1:30 AM

Toon-Prodigy
    One shouldn’t compare Jonas to our current squad but the quality of the squad that we should have, want to have and perhaps in the end can have next season.

If our aim is to have a 9-16 place squad then Jonas probably is worth keeping but above that I’m not so sure.

• Sazzer

May 26, 2015 at 1:32 AM

Blackley and Brownlie
    Accurate description. I’m happy we getting rid of the wimpy one behind him. Irvine.

• Sazzer

May 26, 2015 at 1:38 AM

Thomas Schaaf now available. He won the double in Germany in 2004 with Weder Bremen.

Only average overall though.

• Sazzer

May 26, 2015 at 1:47 AM

Sammy could be worth signing up on cheap with the intention to loan him out.

• Toon-Prodigy

May 26, 2015 at 1:56 AM

Sazzer,

Surely though when you look at the clip of the squad at the moment and the the 25 we have on offer..

Obertan
    Cabella
    Ryan taylor
    Steven taylor
    Gouffran
    Ameobi
    Riviere
    Williamson
    Armstrong

I personally think he deserves a 1 year rolling once we shift the dead wood out. I’v put Armstrong in there because I don’t think the timing is right and he needs a spell out on loan.

We do have De Jong hopefully available next season but i’d have to say i’d prefer Jonas coming on rather than an Obertan or Gouffran or Taylor. He looks in good nick and must be inspiring to the 1st team squad. He is no world beater granted, but as a 25 i’d give him a year rolling.

• Canny in Canberra

May 26, 2015 at 2:11 AM

Feeling totally justified now.
    When I was told last year, there was no room for sentiment in football to my comment that we owed Jonas the chance to try and win his place back when lots on here had written him off.
    humble Pie anyone.

• Sazzer

May 26, 2015 at 2:22 AM

I hope for massive clear out of everyone worse than Santon.

• Canny in Canberra

May 26, 2015 at 2:32 AM

Sazzer,
    Whatever MA is saying I doubt there’ll be the money for that!!

• Toon-Prodigy

May 26, 2015 at 2:33 AM

Canny,

He was sh1te for a good while like. I think everyone complained during that time but the lad has a new lease of life and the club should recognise that for me personally. He was a godsend yesterday and exactly what we needed.

I’d love to see him stay on another year, especially if we are changing direction and going to give it a go next season.

Stick about Jonas

• expatmag

May 26, 2015 at 2:44 AM

Dont forget. We have a number of players returning from loans including Lascelles and Darlow.

In my opinion and after a rethink, we cannot afford to keep either Jonas or Sammi as they take up valuable spots in the squad.

We also need to be aware of home grown restrictions.

With that in mind, i think the following departures could happen

Elliot
    Alnwick
    Raylor
    Tiote
    Ameobi
    Williamson
    Jonas
    Cisse
    Marveaux
    Ferrerya

Darlow and Lascelles are new additions and add to them Trippier, Austin, Ings, Brady, a young winger, van Dijk from Celtic and a quality play maker possibly from europe and keep the rest and we should be set.

• Canny in Canberra

May 26, 2015 at 3:08 AM

If, as it appears, the players are struggling with belief and confidence issues then some one as inspirational as Jonas is invaluable off the field and while he may not be in somes opinion world class ability wise he’s proof that just putting in a shift and being willing to run is enough to make a difference in a game. Jamie Vardy isn’t Messi but he looked like a superstar that day against us because he was chasing and putting in the graft.
    In short we’d be mad to let Jonas go so of course the PTB no doubt will

• Magpie Season

May 26, 2015 at 3:09 AM

Agree with Sazzer.

We shouldn’t sign Jonas.

Unless…he accepts to reduce his wages. He earns b/w 45-60k somewhere in that bracket. You cannot pay that much for a squad player at our club.

Let’s not forget last season when he was loaned to Norwich under Chris Hughton. He did not even make the first team there. Was only a squad player there as well & they ended up relegated.

• jimmysmith

May 26, 2015 at 3:15 AM

Gutierez is a player than can function well in a good side with better players. He’s one of our more technical and intelligent players, while also being a grafter and onfield leader. I’d say the issue is one of age and salary, rather than capability.

• Toon-Prodigy

May 26, 2015 at 3:27 AM

The way im looking at it, is that there is going to be alot of ins and outs this summer. As a squad player could we use him? I think we could.

There is alot poorer players here at the minute where there attitude can be questioned. The lads worked hard I think he should be rewarded but only as a player off the bench. We need to look higher for the 1st eleven.

Im just reading over this last AO statement. Seems a bit petty. I think this interview has shocked a few people which it would after 8 years.