Hints Newcastle May Already Have Top Coach Lined Up

Kevin Keegan is not exactly an admirer of Newcastle owner Mike Ashley, after Kevin was treated badly and unfairly when he was Newcastle’s manager for the second time back in 2008, but only for a short nine months.

But Kevin has talked to beIN Sports,  and he thinks that one reason Mike Ashley was so upbeat in his Sky Sports interview one hour before the game yesterday, was that Newcastle may already have a top experienced head coach lined up.

kevin keegan

Kevin Keegan – Ashley may already have head coach lined up

Kevin Keegan even believes Ashley can get a number of fans on his side – if he can deliver the goods this summer.

But the first step has to be to bring in a top new head coach very soon – and that will set the stage for this summer’s transfer window and also give the fans a big boost – which they need after what’s happened this year.

This is what Kevin has said to beIN Sports:

“He certainly hasn’t invested enough. I hope he delivers on his pre-match interview because he’s talked the talk and now he’s got to walk the walk.” “I think it’s good news for Newcastle fans provided he keeps his word and invests in the club. He’s put loads in but he’s also taken money out.”

“Anything can be done if everyone pulls the same way. This has been a club that’s pulled itself apart this season.” “If Mike Ashley puts some investment in, in a year or two they could be clapping him into the stadium. He could be their hero. “

“It’s the mindset that’s got to change. Maybe he can turn it around, yes.”  “He’s got to run it differently. He’s got to learn how to run a football club properly,  and surround himself with people who know what it’s all about.”

“I don’t get it with the way the club have been thinking.” “The best chance is a cup. They must concentrate on the cup. It’s the best chance of winning something and the best way to get into Europe.”

“I think he’s got somebody lined up as he was quite bullish in the interview. I’ve got a feeling with the way he was talking before the game, he’s already got someone.” “I would put Michael Laudrup top of my list.”

“What that would do is guarantee a certain type of football. What he did at Swansea is something the Newcastle fans want. They want to be entertained.” “Ashley has got the money.”  “If someone could just explain to him that if you get this right, everything that’s been against you, it will swing full circle.”

“He had people between him and me that he didn’t need. I told him that. That’s why it didn’t work. I know the guy who he’s got running the club – Lee Charnley – and he needs someone else with more experience.”

Michael Laudrup is currently 7th favorite for the Newcastle job at 16/1 with SkyBet – but the odds don’t seem to mean much at the moment, since Steve McClaren is still favorite at 4/7 and even John Carver is at 7/1.

But it will be important for Newcastle to appoint a new head coach quickly,  and if they get somebody who’s good and plays entertaining football that will be a very good first step – to what hopefully will be a good summer of transfer dealings for the club.

It needs to be,  after just another terrible season – although it ended in great style yesterday and that has given fans a little bit of a lift.

At least we are still a Premier League side.

It could have been a lot worse.

• Shadow_Shearer

May 25, 2015 at 1:07 AM

After all that, mash will prob end up appointing Steve McClaren

• Shadow_Shearer

May 25, 2015 at 1:15 AM

Ppl are gettin 2 over excited. Mash is not promising to win a trophy, he’s refusing to leave till he wins one. He’s sayin he’s gonna be here a very long time. Only thing he did promise in the interview was to keep investing in his policy.
    He mentioned champ league. IF SOME DAY we qualify, that counts as winning something. Once again he hasn’t promised anything, not even to aim that high. But the fact that can be here a while.
    Only thing he promised is to keep investing. Let’s keep in mind his concentration would not be here if he was still in control of rangers!!

• Shot Bru

May 25, 2015 at 1:20 AM

Protests, ST holders not renewing, adverse publicity from younger pundits like carragher on Sky Sports (Ashley’s main source of income) has all contributed to him losing his nerve and doing an interview!! Keep up the protests!!

He’s keeping Charnley who is in charge of finding a new head coach…the man responsible for the Carver appointment haha…says it all really!!

Ashley is lying out of his sociopathic ar$ehole in that interview!!

• AMEOBI

May 25, 2015 at 1:22 AM

Well I’ve been a reader for years as a few know.
    Can we just stop whining about what Ashley has said, yes he’s dome the interview and said some good things, we don’t know what to believe, fingers crossed he can walk the walk.

If Ashley had the ambition he’d look at keegan again but then again absolutely no chance after what happened last time. Hmm, interesting few months.

Excited or not?

• AMEOBI

May 25, 2015 at 1:26 AM

Sigh, some people don’t even understand his interview (shot bru).
    He provides the financial fitting for the club, pays the bills. So he’s responsible for carver is he? It’s charnley, as he said..

So how’s he lying then?

• Canny in Canberra

May 25, 2015 at 1:29 AM

Whilst it’s true Football fans or you might say sports fans are a fickle lot I would like to think we all have a bit more character than to do a complete 180 on our opinion of Mister Ashley after everything he’s put us through.

• Shot Bru

May 25, 2015 at 2:04 AM

Ameobi read my post again dude

As I said, Charnley was in charge of appointing Carver..

Ashley now trusts Charnley to make another decision on the head coach position to Enable us to win a trophy or qualify for Champions league!!

I’m sure you have hope in what Ashley has said in that interview….but I can’t be as naive to think things are going to change..

• lesh

May 25, 2015 at 2:23 AM

Strong rumour it’s likely to be Juan Carverio announced on Monday.

• WestOzMag

May 25, 2015 at 2:58 AM

What are the chances someone googled that name Lesh?

• expatmag

May 25, 2015 at 3:07 AM

West Oz

I reckon you did……lol

• WestOzMag

May 25, 2015 at 3:07 AM

Been reading to many ppl believing that because of 1 interview where Ashley has made some sort of promise they have a change in heart or are carrying some sort of belief he will wave the magic wand. Wake up and smell the coffee you gullible lot!

• WestOzMag

May 25, 2015 at 3:08 AM

Sorry lesh not that stupid mate

• Canny in Canberra

May 25, 2015 at 3:12 AM

Shot Bru

Hard not to have hope when everything that was said is what we’ve been hanging out to see happen for so long.
    I, however will not be planning any Champions League Qualifying Parties just yet. Based on past behaviour we have every right to be sceptical. was this just lip service to quell the recent unrest?

• WestOzMag

May 25, 2015 at 3:36 AM

Cmon expat I thought you new me better then that

• Shot Bru

May 25, 2015 at 3:39 AM

Canny in Canberra

Great War memorial in your neck of the woods!

You hit the nail on the head..Pure lip service from Ashley..the only surprise is that he he has appeared on TV to spout off about the changes he is going to make rather than a written statement via the club website..

• Canny in Canberra

May 25, 2015 at 3:51 AM

Well that just goes in our favour if nowt happens he’s publically on record now. Before that it was just all rumour and speculation. Must have felt he was backed into a corner.

• Canny in Canberra

May 25, 2015 at 3:54 AM

Well half day today so I’m out lads.
    Over the moon we staying up. Hoping to see more gutsy performances from the lads next season. 90 mins every week like the first twenty on Saturday and we’ll be up that table like a rat up a pipe!!!

HWTL
    HWTF
    TOON ARMY!!!!!!!!!

• expatmag

May 25, 2015 at 4:09 AM

WestOz

I do mate. You lot are not the brightest globe in the chandelier over in the west, are you?…….lol

• BandB

May 25, 2015 at 4:25 AM

Whatever motives made Mike Ashley fly to Newcastle yesterday to go before the Sky cameras, he was breaking the habit of a lifetime.
    He has broken cover and made some promises. We will soon enough see what “bolting the horse to the cart” means.
    He has finally given us a stick to measure him with.

We live to fight another day, And while it’s hard to agree with John Carver that it felt just like winning the cup, it was good to see us score more than one goal and win (snow was lying last time.)
    These are NOT the days we dream of as fans.
    Like John, I have no idea what winning a cup actually feels like.

We are “across the line.” Let’s not pretend it was a winning line.
    But if it proves a starting line, then fan pressure will have won a small victory.

HWTF-HWTL

• expatmag

May 25, 2015 at 4:27 AM

On a serious note, we need to look at who we have worth keeping. I see many on here are saying Jonas should get at least another year but is it really warranted.

Yesterday, he was mom but lets be honest, WHU didnt turn up and were not much of a test.

We need to remember we have Lascelles Darlow Marveaux Vuckic etc back from loans.

In my opinion, we need to get rid of Tiote Cisse Elliot Williamson Raylor Obertan Vukic and a few of the kids.

I would give Saylor and Jonas an extra year and give both Riviere and Marveaux the pre season to see if they come up to scratch.

As for signings, we need a strong dominant CH. Van Dijk from Celtic will do. A back up RB in Trippier from Burnley. A quality CF in Austin and a decent RW possibly from europe or the championship. We also need a back up forward to support Austin and we need to get Aarons to sign a new deal.

• WestOzMag

May 25, 2015 at 4:29 AM

Just propping up the economy for the last 20yrs that’s all were good for. Nothing quite like piggy backing the west eh expat

• JDdubai

May 25, 2015 at 4:38 AM

Lots of work to do now, will be interesting who comes in as HC – dont think JC has a chance anymore.

I said months ago I was willing to wait and see what happened this summer after a supposed change of direction, over to you Mike..

• gazzaforever

May 25, 2015 at 5:00 AM

It’s probably gonna be a old school clueless coach like Bruce or Pullis or McClaren. Maybe big Sam. Sigh

• Magpie Season

May 25, 2015 at 5:20 AM

It’s not Mike Ashley.

It’s not him who appoints the manager, or now ‘head coach.’ Ashley acts as an overseer but the decisions (final decisions) are made by the board & managing director.

The problems is moreso Charnely. The fat controller esque man might be a damn good accountant & trying to please his boss by cutting costs but knows nothing about football, as he probably grew up without a social life at all & spent his time indoors playing video games, studying & eating junk food, stalking girls online, etc.

If Ashley does invest, you cannot expect things to automatically get better. If we get another Riviere (no excuses for first season in EPL or not but you can’t miss that chance from Janmaat’s cross in any league) or other flops it won’t matter.

• N1CK06

May 25, 2015 at 5:24 AM

I think it’s an overall positive from Ashley’s interview because it is good to know that he has publicly acknowledged the situation and accepts responsibility. That means increased pressure on him to achieve results.

However, I am concerned about the number of gullible idiots who will be convinced from those words alone that from now on Ashley will be buying big to push for the top 4 next season, and these people rush out and buy their season tickets and new Wonga shirts from SD, expecting a huge revival of NUFC, and get served up the same sh*t as every other season.

The take home message I got from Ashley’s interview:
    – He is not going to sell any time soon
    – He is going to continue running NUFC as a business
    – We MAY eventually improve to the point of winning something (if Ashley’s telling the truth here is anyone’s guess). But how long will we have to wait? 5 years? 10 years? 20?

This is going to be a very important transfer window for Mike Ashley. If he can really walk the walk, the “net spend” need to be of the amount comparable to that of a top 4 club. We need quality players, not quality assets.

• Reyantoon

May 25, 2015 at 5:26 AM

Thank God…what a relief! I was thrilled.
    Perfect time to do it.Yesterday was unforgetable day.Gonna celebrate the whole week..
    Cracking header from sissoko,my player of the season.Bright future ahead.
    Will be cracking summer.It’s up to u now
    Lee f••kn charn!

• Reyantoon

May 25, 2015 at 5:58 AM

Rotonda heights// May 24, 2015 at 5:40

sadly ash knows nothing about football but even more worryingly he thinks charnley does. he says charnley and the football board (who are they?) will make all decisions!!!!!!!!!

Spot on!

• Klam3r

May 25, 2015 at 6:02 AM

The interview gives us hope at least, but I’m not sold quite yet though.

I think the head coach appointment will show Ashleys hand.

Carver – The fat man hates us.
    MacLaren – Same as the past 4-5 years. Premier League is enough.
    “Head coach with ambition” – Very interesting

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

May 25, 2015 at 6:26 AM

Well
    I have come back doon to earth after yesterday’s game great atmosphere Good second half performance – thought Jonas and Anita were outstanding.
    I also give Carver credit yesterday for not bringing on sub till game was won.
    Cisse and Sissoko except for his goal were poor.

NOW if ASHLEY has learn’t anything yesterday that if dips his hands in his pockets and strengthens the squad brings in a new manager and play attacking football then he could reap the rewards from players and the CROWD who yesterday showed what a noise can be generated in St. James’s never mind his pocket.

But! can a leopard change it’s spots!!!!!!

Here’s hope

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 25, 2015 at 6:36 AM

Happy with the result yesterday, pleased we are staying up, although I never thought we would go down. We got the 4-6 points I expected us to from the last 5, and it was more than enough. Even leaving us top of a piss poor North East.

Anyway, no cause for celebrations or back slapping here. To just stay up on the last day of the season is no cause for celebration. It isn’t a success, and should not be viewed as one. People kept congratulating me in the bar yesterday, to which all I responded was ‘why?’.

As for Ashley’s little cameo yesterday, talk is cheap. If he really means what he says then I’d expect a very good manager/head coach announced in a day or two alongside several good signings within a fortnight. He could start by finalising deals for Austin and Mitrovic, a top centre half and some creativity from out wide. Those 4 inside a fortnight and he is off to a good start with his statement of intent. We shall see, I won’t be holding my breath though.

• Online Guy

May 25, 2015 at 6:38 AM

BandB

Your up early ? , the Bairn ?

I’m up early with the Grandson, just asked wor lass if we can spin up to Rothbury for the morning rise…still using March brown and snipe and purple..daddy long legs is a killer ..might have me breakfast on the banks of the Coquet . I put them all back, really I hate taking them out of their environment , unless its breakfast .

In the meantime watch this . What a hoot from wor Brian, in fits here.

Beautiful sunny northern Day.

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 25, 2015 at 6:43 AM

Charlie,
    I actually thought Sissoko had one of his more effective games for us yesterday. He is far better suited to a wide role. He has nowhere near the ability on the ball or a combative nature off it to play in the centre. He would be one of the first out of the door for me to bring in funds to reinvest in players who have more consistency and end product.

I’d also let Cisse go if we brought in a few strikers – which we need to regardless – Austin, Mitrovic and Ings would be my choices. Bin Rivi, don’t care what we get for him. He is hopeless in front of goal. The only goal he scored was because he slipped and kicked it off his other foot.

In all honesty, if it wasn’t such a risk starting from scratch, I’d probably only keep 3 or 4 of this seasons first team regulars. Janmaat, Perez, Colback and then borderline on Dummet and Krul.

• Bambams

May 25, 2015 at 6:45 AM

Morning
    Anyone got any paracetamol. …..

I am watching motd I recorded, Guti is just so up for the game. Watched it live but what it meant to him. Give the lad 12 months.

I genuinely thought we were going to be relegated. Ash spend some money !

Why has Charva not been told anything yet….An announcement must be made today surely

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

May 25, 2015 at 6:50 AM

Lil
    Got to agree to disagree about Sissoko – don’t know if he was nervous – started well like the rest of the team but as the game went on he wanted one or two many touches on the ball and got caught in possession or lost it to many times.
    Riviere I would keep him for another season might not get many games – but I like his movement link up play and willingness to get on the end of the ball unlike Cisse. BUT as you say needs to put the ball in the net.
    I would also keep Anita after his last two home games – was excellent yesterday
    Agree with you on other players to keep – Perez, Janmatt, and Colback the rest can go

• cyprus

May 25, 2015 at 6:52 AM

Nobody was celebrating yesterday, I don’t think. It was a mixture of relief and hope that brought smiles to, I believe, the overwhelming number of fans.

You can be rightfully pessimistic about the future, but, we are still in the PL and that means money and hope…

Plus, I’ve never seen MA publicly talk, he did it, even though he’s obviously a shy person. I know how to read body language and he’s not lying there. Now, if he changes his mind or was lying to himself, that’s hard to tell. But, his big words at least give me hope. He wants what I want! Success, winning something, CL.

BTW, I prefer CL to a cup (sorry) 😉

But I’ll take a cup too 😉

• cyprus

May 25, 2015 at 6:52 AM

• hibbit

May 25, 2015 at 6:59 AM

ashley stayed on tyneside last night dont know if that means anything or not but the sooner the new head coach/manager is in place the better….. this next 4 weeks are so important to the club window opens 1st july new manager needs to be in place now so much work to do or we will be in the same place next season

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 25, 2015 at 7:02 AM

Cyprus,
    I’m not an expert in body language, or anything like that, but even if he wasn’t lying, what did he actually promise? To not leave until we won something? He said his intentions were to win something or make Champions League, he and Llambias promised us that at the start of the 5 year plan. It was meant to be 5 years before we are challenging for trophies and champions league – we are coming into year 7 of the 5 year plan now…

To ‘continue’ investing in this club – when was the last time HE invested in this club? The championship season? Since then we have been recording profits, with zero investment from him. The club even stated that Mike had stopped investing the promised £20million a season.

He doesn’t promise change, or promise challenging for anything in his interview. He offers hope to people through his words, but actually offers or promises very little. Maybe he will change, fingers crossed, but actions will speak louder than words, and we will soon know for certain what he meant.

• Toon-Prodigy

May 25, 2015 at 7:07 AM

What a day!

How mental was that?? 8 yrs and he gives a skysports interview when we could be relegated.

Im shocked. And even more hearing what he came out with?

Time will tell.

Unbelievable that.

• cyprus

May 25, 2015 at 7:07 AM

So,
    Does a real coach have a foundation to work with?

Of course is the answer. I don’ t they’re as bad as units as they have been as a group.
    e.g.s

Krul: Still very young, under pressure made some errors, but a top goalie. Keep
    Jan: Hol int. powerful, very good, will improve, keep
    Colo: Never had a partner he could really rely on. A good CB, despite the fans’ going off on him. Keep, not as capt.
    Colb: Could be as good as Scholes, IF he continues to improve.
    Anit: Not sure, though yesterday’s performance was tops.
    Abeid: Not sure, though at Pana was great.
    Siss: Like KK said (sorry Lil), a team could be built around him. Is now better than Yaya was at Olympiakos.
    Perez: Keep
    Ameobi: Could be the new Pogba, needs work (lots, but tallest winger in the world – ie. can intimidate, can dribble, etc), keep

People like Wil, Dum, Obert, Raylor, Taylor out.
    Riv: Is it bad luck, lack of confidence, or no good? Not sure, there’s something there… maybe! Give him one more chance.

Needed? 6 top players