Are Newcastle Fans More Upbeat On Newcastle’s Future?

With just surviving in the Premier League for the second time in two years we were just so relieved we didn’t take the drop to the Championship and then we heard Mike Ashley’s voice for the first time in eight years, and what he said seemed surprisingly positive – and he even talked about winning something.

And we were pleased he took full responsibility for the terrible situation we found ourselves in  on Sunday and didn’t blame anybody else – John Carver please take note.

mike ashley lee charnley last game west ham

Mike Ashley and Lee Charnley on Sunday

We are trying to gauge the impact on fans of Mike’s interview on Sky Sports in our new poll – with only one vote per reader.

Let us know what you think, so we can get a better idea on how the interview went over – obviously we want as many fans voting as possible.

Are You More Positive On Newcastle's Future Following Ashley's Interview?

• Yes (55%, 3,094 Votes)
  • No (45%, 2,517 Votes)

Total Voters: 5,611

Loading ... Loading ...

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 28, 2015 at 9:12 AM

TFL,
    All the players I mentioned bar Hamann were around the same time as Robert who you mentioned in your initial post.

I agree we should be looking at players from more than just France. But it doesn’t matter where they are from – if the best players for our club system are all French, then so be it. I don’t buy the line about English players being better grafters/battlers. Not in the slightest, utter nonsense regurgitated by people who only understand out of date stereotypes.

• Rotonda heights

May 28, 2015 at 9:13 AM

it’s not going forward with mclaren though is it and hardly sets pulses racing.

Lilo we know we don’t like people like HBA and Laudrup but we have had nothing but negative containing long ball football and artisans rather than artists for years now. Time for change.

• John Tudor

May 28, 2015 at 9:15 AM

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 28, 2015 at 9:18 AM

Rotonda,
    Time for change? Certainly. But HBA is the past, and Laudrup isn’t anymore of a step forward then McClaren, and given his past is highly likely to fall out with players, staff and board and leave after 1 year or so.

All for a change and moving forward, but Laudrup isn’t it.

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 28, 2015 at 9:21 AM

TP,
    He knows who to split back handers with you mean? I think McClaren is the better bet for us. Redknapp is only reasonably well thought of because he gives the media everything they want and they in turn build up a fully undeserved reputation. 1 trophy of significance in 32 years of management. McClaren has managed far more than that in a third of the time.

• Toon-Prodigy

May 28, 2015 at 9:23 AM

Im feeling positive because I want positive for the club, but if this turns out to be a false dawn and a lying and scabby way to sell season tickets next season then these protests should be ramped up all over again.

We will know if it’s “bollocks” pretty soon and there is no games to protest to anyway at the moment. The protests can easily be sorted out for the first game of the season when by then we will know his intentions anyway.

Nothing wrong in being positive, just aslong as people are cautious with it also.

• bobby mango

May 28, 2015 at 9:23 AM

I feel more positive, tentatively looking forward to the transfer window but admittedly expecting disappointment.

I’m willing to give them one more chance with this window but I want certain criteria met.
    No delaying over transfers (problems getting them over the line) then getting pipped to the signing by the likes of Swansea.
    At least 3 first team players (marked improvements on what we have) signed well before the season starts and addressing the needed areas (cb and fw)
    2 more first team players to follow, plus squad improvements.
    Dead wood gone.
    Carver demoted. Ideally I’d have the whole coaching staff gone but it won’t happen.

• dave 1961

May 28, 2015 at 9:27 AM

What in that drivel could give anyone any hope of change. yet 46% seemed to have swallowed it. check out this link you will get more out of that than a season watching Nufc.

Q: Just how disappointed are you to arrive here today to find Newcastle in this situation?
    A: I can’t have really imagined it, from Christmas I probably didn’t anticipate we would be anywhere near this situation, so obviously after the last couple of weeks I’m still a little bit shocked by where we find ourselves today.
    Q: The fans want to know who is responsible. In your opinion is it collective responsibility or does it stop at your door?

A: My door.
    Q: What would you do if the worst happens today to this club and it falls into the Championship?

A: If you’re talking about investing in the club I will continue the policy of investing in this football club.
    Q: Would you invest enough to make sure it comes back at the first attempt to the Premier League?

A: Yes, if you are, if there is such a thing, if you are able to guarantee that I would like to say I could guarantee that, that investment but obviously the results is not something that I can…
    Q: If the best happens, and you stay in the Premier League, what is the plan for the club?

A: Well we, I, the only positive I think we got the club on a very sound financial footing so we are able to spend relatively and punch above our weight now with the current financial situation the club finds itself in.
    Q: If you hadn’t come into this club when you did and cleared the debt, where would it be?

A: Financially not as strong, but unfortunately I’m gonna add to that, that that isn’t really good enough, so it’s no good having the horse and cart scenario and we may have the cart financially but we now need to bolt the horse on it, and we’re going to.
    Q: What’s your ambition for the club?

A: It’s, it’s now gonna be to definitely win something. And by the way I shan’t be selling it until I do.
    Q: Can we just be clear on that because there has been so much rumour, the club is not for sale?

A: Not at any price. And by the way when I say win something if we ever get in a position that we get a Champions League place that also qualifies as winning something.
    Q: What is your message to the fans today ahead of this game?

A: Today we don’t need to be unlucky, not today! But from this day forward we will definitely be making our own luck.
    Q: And finally Mike, there are obviously one or two things to sort out come the end of the season. Can we expect you and your advisers to act on that fairly imminently with regards to the appointment of managers and suchlike?

A: Well, on that basis it’s Lee Charnley and the football board that make those decisions, as it was Derek Llambias who brought in Alan Pardew. So I will not be picking the next manager, it’s not what I do. My job is to make sure they have the maximum amount of financial resources and it is their job to get the best pound for pound value out of those resources.
    Q: And to be very clear: you’re here to stay and you want to make this club successful?

A: To be categorically clear I’m not going anywhere until we win something.

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 28, 2015 at 9:28 AM

I’m not feeling anymore positive, but willing to be pleasantly surprised. No faith or good will is left to be given on the basis of more hot air and empty promises. Only actions and deeds can earn any renewal of faith for this lot now.

Time will tell. Charnley remaining in charge of the football side isn’t a good start. No new appointments to the board another poor start.

Has building work started on the new training ground? That was scheduled for this month, just 3 days left.

• Blackley and Brownlie

May 28, 2015 at 9:29 AM

No, Blackley’s not upbeat following the tat man’s interview.

Not anywhere as upbeat as Professor Tuff, who has rushed to check his certificate of accreditation from the University of Uganda and found that it does indeed state in bold letters that it is from East Africa. Phew! What a relief. “High fives, Expat.”

You couldn’t make it up. Woo hoo. Tuff thought for a few nervy moments that somebody had. He’s now checking his coaching qualification certificate from FIFA’s Qatar branch.

• Toon-Prodigy

May 28, 2015 at 9:30 AM

Lil,

They are all mid-table managers anyway who we will be looking at, none of them are going to be world beaters and would have been through struggles in their career’s. What top rated manager would want to come? I think if this transfer policy dosn’t change we will struggle to break top 8 anyway. Either fill this squad up with 20 experienced Pro’s or we will always struggle once the injuries kick in.

I’d quite enjoy Harry on the box I’d think, would be a refreshing change haha. McClaren is a bit boring.

• Toon-Prodigy

May 28, 2015 at 9:33 AM

Im off for breakfast, have a goodin lads be back later tonight.

• roblee7

May 28, 2015 at 9:34 AM

if we got laudrup, anyone think we might go in for Sigurdson and Michu? Could probs get Michu on the cheap now n played well under Laudrup

• Go toon gooooo

May 28, 2015 at 9:34 AM

The storm is over.The worst managers Pardew and Carver(Pardew’s close copy) are gone.Everything else will be better than this.Whatever manager steps in.Moussa Sissoko losing 20 balls per game and from a manager perspective seeing it and continuing without any change says it all.Same for Pardew,same for Carver.If wasn’t Obertan’s brace and that 10-12 points in the middle of the season we would watched the championship.

• nightfa11

May 28, 2015 at 9:35 AM

If he really wants to win sth, mclaren, laudrup, redknapp, etc etc are not good enough..so why we talking about them?

• Laurent Robert 32

May 28, 2015 at 9:37 AM

The early indications of the results of this poll are mind boggling. Through desperation he comes out and says some propaganda which is to suit his agenda, and some are lapping it up. I despair.

Unless a good coach comes in and a number of quality players (note that we need half a dozen to get back to the understocked level of before anyway) are signed, then it has all been to sell season tickets, which it has been.

You couldn’t make it up.

Ashley Out.

• will die for the toon army

May 28, 2015 at 9:38 AM

That’s why I said we go after Steve Bruce coz he provides stability.

Wont turn heads and wont complain. He will b like Sir Bobby. Dream job.

BRUCE & CARVER. Get the good players in.

• sickandtired

May 28, 2015 at 9:38 AM

I presume we must have a lot of supporters who still believe in the Tooth Fairy and Santa?
    How can anyone willingly choose to believe that pack of lies on Sunday?
    Ashley stated he had no involvement in football decisions “it’s not what I do”. Well, who appointed all the numpty’s we’ve had so far?
    Who decided, during the height of his battle for Rangers, that we would loan them 5 players in January?
    The bloke is a bare faced liar and sadly all too many sucked it up despite 8 years of the same.

• nightfa11

May 28, 2015 at 9:38 AM

And I dont understand why laudrup is rated so highly.. Rogers ‘made’ swansea.. Laudrup just added michu..

• roblee7

May 28, 2015 at 9:43 AM

I’d take Garde over any of them with his own coaching staff. That would be best IMO but if thats what we want, we won’t get it as is always the case! I fully expect Carver or McLaren / Carver combo

• JDdubai

May 28, 2015 at 9:43 AM

I think more people have accepted to hold their anger for a couple of weeks to see where we go from here, I dont think any wound has healed at all, just that with a big decision imminent for the HC position then why not just wait and see.

Garde followed by Mitrovic/Austin would be a good start.

Would take McClaren over Laudrup as well as others have said.

• expatmag

May 28, 2015 at 9:44 AM

On the previous thread regarding Redknapp.

For those who want this old dinosaur, he fails to meet our boards criteria as he is NOT a Head Coach but a manager and a pretty damn poor one at that.

The likes of Kevin Bond and Joe Jordan were his coaches.

Old Harry was a barrow boy wheeler dealer at best, totally unsuitable to modern day football tactics.

• will die for the toon army

May 28, 2015 at 9:45 AM

Landrup has a poor win ration but he is a winner both as a player and manager. With a metality of winning it becomes a habit.

Look PSG and Juventus.

• sing in the corner

May 28, 2015 at 9:47 AM

The majority of fans, wether you like it or not, will feel more positive after the much maligned Sky interview. The poll question doesn’t quantify that. Will most people feel 1-5 percent more positive? Probably. Because he has felt compelled to come out of the shadows and say SOMETHING. The pressure applied has had an effect. He has had to take it seriously and at least partly rethink. He’s said some (admittedly non specific) things on camera that he can be challenged on. It wasn’t some grey suit he puts up in front of the camera that he can distance himself from later.

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 28, 2015 at 9:49 AM

Will Die for Toon Army,
    Recommending Bruce suggests to me you are a WUM. Correct?

• expatmag

May 28, 2015 at 9:50 AM

And the blog idiot is probably wondering why he continues to be ignored on the blog

• kakaobi

May 28, 2015 at 9:51 AM

the more I think about it the more I’m convinced that Ashley’s interview was more of a get at at rangers, looked what you missed out on I’d have won things for you I really can’t see him spending much on us probably get macclaren and have carver at number 2 which shows no ambition at all. I hope to god I’m wrong and that he goes for a head coach that has his own team of coaches but can’t see it

• nightfa11

May 28, 2015 at 10:03 AM

Its interesting that sissoko said he wants to stay.. Either no club is interested in him or he already knows who we’ll get as hc..

• dave 1961

May 28, 2015 at 10:06 AM

I have translated this for those who dont understand Ashley speak.

A: I should have foreseen this i put a half whit in charge with the sole remit of not spending money.

A: My door, That’s the truth for once mike I bet you don’t make a habit of it.

A: If you’re talking about investing in the club I will continue the policy of not investing any money in this football club.

A: Yes, but just enough to get back my free advertising, but only as a lone mind not an actual investment.

A: Well to carry on fleecing the fans taking my free advertising and hopefully get my loans back.
    A: I never cleared the debt I actually doubled the debts, if I have not purchased the club all the loans would now be cleared. And the stadium would hold 62,000 fans increasing the match day revenue.

Q: What’s your ambition for the club?
    A: none just use it as a personal billboard.
    A: yes for the right price, everything is for sale I’m a shop keeper.

Q: What is your message to the fans today ahead of this game?
    A: Today we don’t need to be unlucky, not today! But from this day forward it will definitely be carry on business as usual.

A: Well, no, on that basis it’s Lee Charnley and the football board (who consists of myself and Lee Charley) that make those decisions, as it was Derek Llambias who brought in Alan Pardew. So I will not be picking the next manager, it’s not what I do. My job is to make sure I get the maximum amount of financial resources out of the club, and it is their job to get the best pound for pound value out of those resources. They don’t need to be good players just cheap one’s.

A: To be categorically clear I’m not going anywhere unless I get a silly offer then I will buy another club and fleece them. Or maybe not as I will never find more gullible fans.

• Sav

May 28, 2015 at 11:10 AM

If fans were sceptical of Pardew and fed up with Carver, we should be just as angry at Charnley retaining his key position. Ashley appointed him but he has failed to sort out our problems and whoever he chooses for our Head Coach will set our season on its course. I’m dismayed.