Newcastle Interested In Signing England International Defender

Newcastle have reportedly been interested in signing 26 year-old Manchester City and England defender Micah Richards from Manchester City – and with his contract at City running out at the end of June, and at that time he will become a free agent.

Micah Richards _3204529b

Micah Richards in training at Fiorentina

There is news today that West Brom are the latest Premier League club interested in signing the defender who can play at either center-back or right back and Newcastle need to bring in some center-backs this summer – since that’s been a weakness of ours this season.

The Star is reporting West Brom have joined Aston Villa, Newcastle United and West Ham in the chase for the Birmingham-born defender,  who was on loan at Fiorentina in Serie A last season.

Micah’s career has stalled over the last few years and he couldn’t get many games at Manchester City, a club he joined as a 14 year-old in 2002 and has played 245 times with 9 goals for the City first team.

Richards played for all the English Youth sides and made his debut for the full England side when he 18 back in 2006 and he’s made 13 appearances for England.

Micah played 19 times at the Italian club last season, and it’s not clear whether Newcastle have been watching him in Italy.

Given Newcastle’s weakness in the back four and with players like Coloccini, Steven Taylor and Mike Williamson possibly leaving the club this summer, Micah could offer a wealth of experience Newcastle.

And with him able to play at center-back or right back, he could be a savvy signing for the Tyneside club this summer.

That’s even more so because he’s a free agent this summer.

What do think?

• Sazzer

May 28, 2015 at 3:20 PM

No 12 m bid for this free player yet?

• ToonFromLeeds

May 28, 2015 at 3:24 PM

haha no sazzer

• Pop n Wyn

May 28, 2015 at 3:24 PM

Decent kid alway but injured like Saylor, hope that knacka gets the peddler as well, prize t.t

• ToonFromLeeds

May 28, 2015 at 3:26 PM

How much is Austin gonna cost us if these odds are to be believed?

• ToonFromLeeds

May 28, 2015 at 3:26 PM

Taylor is the new Darren Anderton I do hope him and Williamson are given the boot

• optimistic prime

May 28, 2015 at 3:38 PM

More investment

• Sazzer

May 28, 2015 at 3:43 PM

I think we are in good position to sign Austin.

• Sazzer

May 28, 2015 at 3:49 PM

should be in good position to sign him. Using are might be strong without head coach and Charnley lost in paralysis by analysis.

• oldbobaycliffe

May 28, 2015 at 3:50 PM

west ham finished their manager after the match on sunday why have we got to thursday with no sign of carver losing his job.looks like carver is going to stay on. how long is he on holiday for

• pawl250

May 28, 2015 at 3:52 PM

I would sign both Austin and Richards.

Ideal signings.

Sell STaylor and Cisse. One is injury prone so if Micah doesnt work out he will just replace him. Albeit Richards is twice the player STaylor is.

Cisse while his record this season has been good, he should be sold. If hes not injured, he is banned, if he is neither of those he is off on international duty. Time to cash in while we can. Between 8m and 10m would be good money for him and open the door for Austin.

• pawl250

May 28, 2015 at 3:54 PM

OldBoy

I think Carver is not a manager, he is a coach. Therefore unlikely will get sacked, just simply step back down into his normal role as a coach under the manager/head coach appointed.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

May 28, 2015 at 4:08 PM

I’d still sign this lad, if he can stay fit. He’s better than our current crop of cb’s and is good enough to cover the RB spot. We would still need at least one more CB and a young RB imo. Probably more by the time we (hopefully) off load the sh1t

• hibbit

May 28, 2015 at 4:10 PM

pawl and who do you think will s taylor

• hibbit

May 28, 2015 at 4:15 PM

carver is away for three weeks back to work monday 22 june a week before the players weeks

• Rotonda heights

May 28, 2015 at 4:21 PM

pawl

what makes you think he’s even a half decent coach. Oh yeah, he told everyone he was the best!

hopefully coaching staff + saylor, raylor and willlo will exit stage left. sadly not going to happen.

• Rotonda heights

May 28, 2015 at 4:22 PM

jc is a genuine number 2 alright but not one you want at your club

• pawl250

May 28, 2015 at 4:25 PM

Rotanda

He is a coach, he has been a coach for us for years, for different managers too. I never said he was good though. Just saying he does not need to resign or required be sacked if he will simply fall back into his original role, after all its what would happen in a caretaker situation,

As for STaylor I do not think he would be impossible to sell. Not like Riviere, am sure someone would take a punt on him. He is not awful when he does play, we could just not afford to have two injury prone players in same position so I stated I would prefer Richards who is the better player.

Even selling STaylor for 1m would be a good buy for most clubs in the bottom half and Championship.

We have certainly been able to sell worse defenders than STaylor in the past.

• tequilamag

May 28, 2015 at 4:28 PM

Pawl not sure Taylor will be fit till next season. Unlikely anyone will buy him whilst he is injured.

• ToonFromLeeds

May 28, 2015 at 4:28 PM

Paddy Powrr now have us at 8/11 to sign Charlie Austin

• Newcastleforlife

May 28, 2015 at 4:29 PM

I want to suggest a name for Manager that I have not seen discussed here.
    Fred Rutten seems to be a good option. He played good possession football with Feyenoord last year.

• one fine day

May 28, 2015 at 4:30 PM

Ed
    From previous stream
    Where in ash interview did he say we will have a go at the cups?
    He said he will stay until we have won something?
    Then after his next breath he snuck it the” I regard getting into the champions league as winning. Something”
    Let’s think about it..
    Champions league. More publicity for his tatt splashed everywhere other the official Uefa sponsors adds.
    Once in champions league much more coin in his pocket when he sells us as a champions league club .
    So yes he may want success but let’s not kid ourselves why.
    Love us to have a go at cups as I think it’s our best way of winning anything but let’s see the teams we put out first.

• pawl250

May 28, 2015 at 4:31 PM

Tequila

We have bought players whilst injured, as have other clubs. Look at Liverpool Carroll, and Ben Arfa to us.

Just because he is injured does not make him impossible to sell. It could detract his value. Personally if he could stay fit he would be worthy to keep. I would even go as far to say him and Richards would be a decent partnership.

I would sell Colo, Williamson and STaylor if I could. I would also sell Cisse and Riviere.

I can accept our midfield this season, just need to focus on centre backs and a couple of strikes, 1 being Austin.

A 18 goal striker for a relegated club is an impressive record to start with. Then Perez and someone to back him up. I would probably take a punt on someone like Bamford or Rhodes.

• one fine day

May 28, 2015 at 4:31 PM

Anyways what I did check for was this…
    HAS HE GONE YET?

• pawl250

May 28, 2015 at 4:34 PM

One Fine Day

Carver is not going anyway unfortunately he will most likely revert to his original post as coach.

I would not mind a total change in our backroom staff, but its unlikely so he will most likely not be “gone” just step down to his normal duties like under Pardew etc.

I think we will get a new manager though, not sure who yet. I would prefer De Boer but not going to happen. Klopp in our wet dreams maybe.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

May 28, 2015 at 4:39 PM

TFL

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

that is all 😀

• barkel

May 28, 2015 at 4:40 PM

@TFL

What’s with all the links? We’re all big boys & girls here if we want to see that nonsense we’ll find it ourselves

• ToonFromLeeds

May 28, 2015 at 4:41 PM

I agree YouCouldn’t I’m pissing myself laughing

• one fine day

May 28, 2015 at 4:42 PM

Pawl,
    Keeping carver would be the worst move ever .
    We dodged a bullet .
    Time for clean sheet
    Our coaching has been appalling
    Set pieces both attacking and defending have been appalling for years .
    And carver stone and Watson were part of that .
    I’d be approaching Karanka. And bringing in his team with him. As much as I don’t want Maclaren I could bear it if carver wasn’t his number two otherwise more of the same dross and we have to ask wtf happens on the training ground with the injuries we seem to pick up.
    Can’t be fatigue as our policy on cups means we play less games that anyone else in the prem

• ToonFromLeeds

May 28, 2015 at 4:42 PM

I’m a sharing kind of guy Barkel

• tequilamag

May 28, 2015 at 4:43 PM

Pawl I would keep him so how he goes. We wont get much for him even if we can sell him. Probably easier to sell Willo or let Colo go back home to make room for new signings at the back

• ToonFromLeeds

May 28, 2015 at 4:44 PM

One Fine Day, if was MA I’d want a complete clear out of back room staff, insert a new manager/head coach and let him pick his own staff

• ToonFromLeeds

May 28, 2015 at 4:45 PM

Carver should have been given boot by now surely

• barkel

May 28, 2015 at 4:46 PM

Richards doesn’t seem to have gotten too much playing time this season, I haven’t watched much of the Italian league for a while now but the stats I’ve read say he’s made 26 appearances but for only a total of 566minutes

• one fine day

May 28, 2015 at 4:47 PM

Pawl
    Don’t think klopp is as far away from us as we think
    The more I think of us we offer just the challenge he thrives on.
    And he would be building something on his terms not taking over something like man utd. Where it’s harder to put his stamp on things.
    If he wants to try premier league then we should be approaching him at least.
    Tell charnley to give kinear. A call I’m sure he will have jurgans number

• ToonFromLeeds

May 28, 2015 at 4:50 PM

Pawl if we had Jurgen Klopp we would have exciting times ahead. I’m sure certain people on this blog would still moan though

• one fine day

May 28, 2015 at 4:54 PM

TFL
    Just saw that link.. It’s not even April 1 st either .
    More chance of Michael Caine up front next year

• ToonFromLeeds

May 28, 2015 at 4:57 PM

OFD I agree with you I just thought people would like a chuckle. On a serious note thoughI do think Charlie Austin is more realistic

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

May 28, 2015 at 5:00 PM

I just get that same old feeling. Manager appointed last min, and no time to get players ‘over the line’. And the manager will be Carvup too.

• one fine day

May 28, 2015 at 5:04 PM

Let’s hope Pardue comes in for woodman and fatty does bogof deal with carver going as well and he can throw in a mug too( stone)
    Then we can all stand back next yeah watching palace slide down the table as normal service is resumed