Jonas Thanks Fans – Hits Out At Owner

Jonas Gutierrez will leave the club at the end of next month, and Newcastle had a nice piece on both him and Ryan Taylor last night as Lee Charnley thanked them for their service to the club.

And he also thanked them for their inspiration in winning their struggle against injury and illness over the last two years or so – Ryan’s double ACL injury and Jonas’ successful fight against illness – testicular cancer.

jonas gutierrez

This shot of Jonas – what a picture
It should be put in the St. James’ Park boardroom

As we said yesterday,  they must be two of the bravest and most courageous players ever to wear the famous back and white stripes of Newcastle United.

Jonas had his best game for Newcastle on Sunday and maybe even his best game ever, as he helped Newcastle win 2-0 against West Ham, which was our most crucial win in six years, and those 3 points saw us safe in the Premier League.

And Jonas on his Twitter account has thanked the Newcastle fans:

“Thanks to all football fans and Newcastle fans for supporting me and trust in me.” “This is a way to demonstrate I always hear you.”

“You are very important to me, football wouldn’t be the same without you. All my effort and affection is for you!”

Jonas has also hit out at owner Mike Ashley – presumably for never contacting him during his fight against testicular cancer:

“Two things I learn from my illness how you can support a player (Newcastle fans) and how you leave a player alone (Newcastle owner).”

That’s a criticism of Mike Ashley right there, and both Mike and Alan Pardew don’t seem to have handled Jonas situation very well during his fight against cancer – with Alan Pardew telling him he had to find a new club.

That’s not the right time to tell a football player that – when they are literally fighting for their lives.

Jonas will be fondly remembered by Newcastle fans, and that game on Sunday – well it was just astonishing that the lads could pull out a performance like that when it really mattered.

We didn’t think they could do it.

Bur we were wrong and Jonas Gutierrez was simply magnificent.

• Toon-Prodigy

May 30, 2015 at 8:25 AM

Aye, deffo need a quality left back through the door.

Some good noises from the players about staying.

Im dying to find out who is staying and who is going with our CB’s.

We have a real opportunity with the money available to sort out this defence once and for all.

• hibbit

May 30, 2015 at 8:47 AM

just be told McLaren refused charnleys offer of a meeting

• Average_Contents

May 30, 2015 at 8:54 AM

Is anyone really that surprised? If you are then you must be bigger idiots than I thought possible.

The guys loyal to a fault, then the biggest battle of his life is staring him in the face and he gets told to sling his hook coincidentally at the same time. Yeah right.

He comes back, works his way into the team and has without doubt the best game for a Newcastle winger I’ve seen from anyone in a while and over the last few games has put more effort in than most of the squad including “head in the clouds” who’s just got a new contract to rub salt into the wounds.

As I said lastnight, as a squad player for his experience, grit, handwork and passion then he should of got 1 year deal over any of that shower we’ve kept.

Truly astounding and fcuking disgusting

• Average_Contents

May 30, 2015 at 8:56 AM

There is a god

• Average_Contents

May 30, 2015 at 8:56 AM

If true

• Toon-Prodigy

May 30, 2015 at 8:58 AM

Seems to me they could be struggling to get someone in.

Ashley’s interview saying he wants to win something, all the managers that distanted themselves from the job. The headcoach blue print could be a major factor in anyone coming. The past aswell and not backing mangers truly, leaving them a mountain to climb, Carver not being relieved of his duties yet as headcoach.

Someone should come in I just can’t see it being a big name.

Obviously I hope im wrong, but the longer this goes on it does make you think.

• hibbit

May 30, 2015 at 8:58 AM

as always with newcastle its about money nothing else matters

• Ibizatoon

May 30, 2015 at 9:11 AM

No Jonas, thank you.

You’ll be missed Spiderman.

Howay the spidey, howay the fans, howay Mike’s cheque book and howay the board to actually getting around to doing something positive soon, howay to maybe.

• JP...from The Rock

May 30, 2015 at 9:12 AM

Yup Jaanmat, Dummett and Haidara are the only defenders I would keep. The rest can be moved on ASAP. I would be tempted to say keep Saylor and/or Willo as emergency backup in case of injuries but only as backup!

We need to get rid of Colo, not the player he was and not captain material at all. Past it.

We need a quick, strong and commanding CB that already knows the premier league well and isn’t injury prone…Micah Richards springs to mind, I’ve always rated that lad.

A new LB is needed too. Haidara can’t play every game. We need to strengthen and find him some good competition.

In midfield we need to rid ourselves from Obertan, Gouffran, Tiote and possibly Vuckic and Abeid.

Up front We should get rid of Riveire as he is not a goal scorer that much is obvious. Though he does work very hard and holds the ball up well. We need goalscorers and he ain’t one!

Cisse should be replaced as he offers nothing when he’s not scoring. And Facundo Ferreyra (who?) should be replaced ASAP.

So in total AT LEAST 9 New Players NEEDED.

• LeedsMag

May 30, 2015 at 9:15 AM

Should have offere Jonas a 2 yr deal – perhaps on reduced wages – to reward his loyalty + need characters and leaders on the pitch and in the dressing room.We’ve been short of those for some time
    Sympathy for Alnwick – not his fault he was thrown in at the deep end too early.He has plenty of time to come good as a keeper.
    I know the Ameobi’s get a lot of stick on here but I’m for keeping Sammy – there is a genuine talent for going past players.He needs a good coach and a year or two to develop
    On Streete , am I right in recalling that 2 summers ago AP justified the failure to sign a CB by saying it would hamper Streete’s development?
    Hope whoever comes in as coach can develop young players

• Laurent Robert 32

May 30, 2015 at 9:21 AM

I think that in our current predicament, and judging how he’s played since he’s come back into the team, a rolling contract would have been fair, especially after his illness.

Maybe it’s mainly because of his higher wages? Shame.

As I’ve commented a couple of times, he was mismanaged by Pinocchio through keeping his as a second full-back which limits his attacking work. Although his crossing is poor, he had a lot more to offer than just being a babysitter. His crosses could have been kept short, cut back across to on running midfielders and player moving around the edge of the box… Ahhh! Even that is too technical for our prehistoric management.

• Laurent Robert 32

May 30, 2015 at 9:26 AM

I always thought he had a good knack of holding players off whilst in possession of the ball, arms out and using his body as a shield.

Thanks Jonas, it’s not your fault you’ve been surrounded by coaching idiots.

• Toon-Prodigy

May 30, 2015 at 9:28 AM

I see Shearer’s pals have give their box up. It’s ten to a box and 9 of them arn’t renewing for this season. He is going to have to rap in now I guess unless he wants to pay the wack himself. I think he may struggle to find another 9 people!

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

May 30, 2015 at 9:37 AM

AC…the board has a history of treating some of our players with disrespect!

…Jonas was not the first and he will not be the last. Seeing as Ashley (the prick as he is) is not the one running the club day to day I think we need to look inside the club hierarchy to find the problem…one of the problems have already left but a new one just emerges!

• sweendog

May 30, 2015 at 9:40 AM

hibbit hope that’s true, mind you offering to meet him. now wtf

• toonbrother

May 30, 2015 at 9:45 AM

Goodluck to Jonas
    but truth be told he wasnt good enough for us

• toonbrother

May 30, 2015 at 9:46 AM

Hopefully colocinni catches the flight with him to Argentina

• toonbrother

May 30, 2015 at 9:47 AM

Delighted Sammy is staying
    He was one of our best players last season full deserving of a new contraact

• Slank

May 30, 2015 at 9:55 AM

JP @ 9

We also have Jamaal Lascelles but I’m not sure whether he would go straight into the first team squad.

I would keep Colo and Saylor. Colo because of his experience although if he said he wanted to return home then I wouldn’t object. Saylor because he puts everything into his game and passion and commitment was the thing that was lacking until the last game of the season.

I think Haidara is good and will get better. I’m in two minds as to whether Dummitt should really be a central defender and an occasional left back and not the other round. Having a left footed central defender is a major asset.

Can’t really say much about Janmaat that hasn’t already been said other than he looks and sounds like a natural leader. Certainly captain material.

• JP...from The Rock

May 30, 2015 at 9:56 AM

I’m glad Sammy’s been offered another contract. He has raw talent and on his day he can go past players. His fast and direct style of play is hard to find especially in our team. We need players that give us that outlet and he’s one of them. Shame with Sammy is he never does it on a consistent basis and is very hit and miss.

PS.. Guitierrez thanks for everything Spidey you will be missed, a legend for life among the faithful. Wish you all the best your future, oh an thanks for saving this club from relegation and showing the others what passion and guts really means.

• Sav

May 30, 2015 at 10:25 AM

I’d prefer to have Guti announcing Charnley and Carver are to leave forthwith. Now we have 2 less people who care for the hierarchy to worry about. Its like Animal Farm.

• Grumpy

May 30, 2015 at 11:34 AM

Jonas you drove me crazy sometimes running into blind alleys, but your last game filled me with the old excitement i used to have watching my team play, all the best and thanks for everything.

• davis_toons

May 30, 2015 at 4:38 PM

Mike is not not doing us good to not renew Jonas Contract.

His act at SKY is starting to show up…Guys we are Cheated again?. I think so.