There is a report in the Chronicle today that has said Newcastle will look to rebuild their squad this summer after a really terrible second half of the season – for the second year running.
Last year at this time we were coming off seven defeats in our final eight games of the season, and now we are coming off one win (last Sunday) and one draw, with nine defeats in our final 11 games of the season.
That included eight defeats in a row which was the worst ever run in the Premier League for Newcastle United.
A worried Mike Ashley a week ago
The news today is that Newcastle will go after about six new players to strengthen their squad – and the clear-out of players may not be as big as expected.
Some of our players were in very poor form since January, but we attribute a lot of that to the poor coaching and man-management of the inexperienced John Carver – so we shouldn’t throw the baby out with the bath water – so to speak.
It’s not too surprising to hear that Mike Ashley has been upbeat this week, and he has held several meetings with Lee Charnley and others since last Sunday, and the owner seems finally ready to shell out some significant funds to build the squad up for season.
In reality Ashley doesn’t have much choice about that unless we want to be in another relegation fight next season.
This news is all very well and probably some propaganda from the club, but Newcastle must produce the goods this summer – otherwise we’ll be struggling again and there will be even more protests next season – heaven forbid.
It would be good if we could start to win (a lot of) games next season – that would be a nice change.
We cannot see Newcastle having much chance of getting Danny Ings from Burnley this summer when Liverpool and Tottenham are in for the player with Spurs having reportedly bid £12M for the hit-man who is a free agent soon.
Newcastle have apparently dropped their interest in Anderlecht’s Aleksandar Mitrovic because of his questionable character – even though he looks like an excellent striker and still only 20 years-old – but Newcastle want to ensure that those players they bring in this summer have good character.
A great example of a top signing last summer was Daryl Janmaat and we need to replicate some of those this summer.
Daryl is our Player of the Season and he not only showed great skills in his performances on the pitch, but was a strong character off the field too, and was one of the few players willing to talk to the press after some of the humiliating defeats under John Carver this year.
The first piece of business for Newcastle is to appoint a new head coach this week – and we’d be very happy if Patrick Vieira gets the job.
If that happens things will be buzzing next week.
The fact that John Carver is still said to be in the running for the job is a little unbelievable, and surely Newcastle now know he caused many problems this year on and off the pitch.
And because of that they would never appoint him to the permanent job of head coach.
That’s right isn’t it?