The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

It’s Time For Newcastle To Get Their Act Together At All Levels

7:30 pm, Monday, June 1st, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 30 Comments

The news is coming through that Ryan Taylor and Jonas Gutierrez were informed their contracts were not being renewed by a phone call from interim coach John Carver.

John Carver spoke to Ryan first, and then asked him to pass his cell phone to Jonas – so he could tell the Argentine his contract wasn’t being renewed.

jonas gutierrez 9287ryan taylor new strip

Jonas Gutierrez and Ryan Taylor

Both these players had almost seven years each at the club, and both have been through hell and high water off the pitch over the last two years or so – and this is a shabby way to tell them their careers were up at Newcastle.

It’s Ryan Taylor who has revealed  how he got the news:

“John Carver rang me and told me the club weren’t going to offer me a new deal.”

“I then had a chat with him, he’s a good friend of mine. I’ve spent a lot of time with John in and out of the club.” ‘So I had a chat with him and then he asked me to pass the phone to Jonas, which was unbelievable.”

“He was made to do it, he obviously was upset in doing it. I spoke to him and he seemed upset about telling two good pros who have been there a long time that it’s come to an end.”

“I can’t really blame John because he’s under instructions on what to do.'”

Jonas wasn’t too pleased with either Alan Pardew or Mike Ashley for the way they treated him as we was literally fighting for his life with testicular cancer – so this was not a good way to sign off at Newcastle.

Jonas has since become a Newcastle legend with his performance in that last game (I’m still staggered what Jonas has been able to achieve this year) – had this to say to Sky Sports after he got the news:

“I didn’t expect to get offered a new contract but it’s not about that, you have to move on,”  “The more important thing is that they can pick up a phone and call me or call my agent and say, ‘Listen, thank you for everything, we are going to release you’.”

“That is more the way to do it.'”

Jonas is right – it’s hard to argue with what he says.

And Newcastle youngster Adam Campbell only found out that he was being released, after seeing it on Twitter – as his girlfriend revealed last week.

Adam’s girlfriend Rosie Moorhouse claimed the player only found out about the bad news after reading it on Twitter, and she said Adam hasn’t been told officially he has been released.

That’s not good.

It’s about time Newcastle got their act together at all management levels at the club – and maybe that statement from Lee Charnley on the Newcastle web-site thanking Ryan and Jonas for their contributions to the club, was a belated effort to make up for the shabby way they were told their contracts were not being renewed.

It’s not a pleasant thing to do when you are a manager and have to tell people their contracts are not being renewed or they are being laid off – but it’s all part of the job.

The person responsible for this lack of professionalism is Lee Charnley, and it seems to us having watched how Lee has operated over these last six month he has no experience at all of management.

Lee needs to get Newcastle working a lot more professionally at all levels of the club – and it’s his job to ensure players are informed in a courteous and professional way that’s fitting for a great club like Newcastle United.

These things need to be done face to face, however hard it is for the person delivering the message,

They should remember it’s not too pleasant for the person receiving the message either.

Tags: Contracts · Jonas Gutierrez · Newcastle News · Premier League · Ryan Taylor

30 responses so far ↓

• 1 BandB // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:31 PM

Loads of posters say they never click on links. So I hope you don’t mind me posting the gist.

“Newcastle United are yet to pursue their interest in Patrick Vieira and the Frenchman has not been told when he will be offered a chance to discuss the head coach role.
    That has fuelled doubts on Tyneside that Newcastle are serious about wanting to appoint him, with sources indicating to the Daily Telegraph that former England manager Steve McClaren remains highly regarded, despite turning the job down twice last season while in charge of Derby County.”

• 2 dok - the horrid colonial // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:33 PM

yeah, ill follow, but its not the men’s WC, so ,its not like ill be wearing a pink USA shirt and have to take days off work and all… they should still be strong though, morgan has been injured, so we will have to see…

BandB, I had my wish granted, then they pulled out the plug on the dallas trip… typical, always letting me down… perhaps they heard I was gonna be the “lone sniper” lol… that’s a joke, by the way, ive never even shot a gun before…

• 3 Pokat // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:34 PM

Lee Charnleys wife –

” hello who is this?” ( slow breathing heard)
    “it’s John. John Carver”
    ” oh hello JC, how can I help you? Lees not here”
    ” umm. Yes pet, I know. He’s here actually”
    ” Aye pet. He’s asked me to tell you to pack your stuff and get out and also pack the kids stuff while you’re on”
    “Errr you WHAT?”
    ” Aye pet…oh, nearly forgot, could you hand the phone to the kids?”

Tune in next week for Lees’ parents phone call

• 4 scout // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:36 PM

Couldn’t even do it face to face. Weasels

• 5 Ibizatoon // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:39 PM

Dare I ask whether there has been anything at all said about the end of season Fans Forum meet?

Maybe the new idea is just to scrap the FF and get Carver to ring people up and let them know what’s going on?

More of a personal touch.

• 6 sing in the corner // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:41 PM

• 7 GeordieTwo // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:42 PM

lesh you are talking about Newcastle United aren’t you mate? Ashley thought the Carver phone call was going above and beyond the call of duty as it was. Originally they were planning a singing postman:
    “You’re sacked, you’re sacked
    This is your last craic
    Get oot, Get oot
    We’ve given you both the boot”
    Beautiful Mike. Brilliant @68 previous by the way BandB mate. pmsl.

• 8 GeordieTwo // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:45 PM

Additional chat overheard:
    Charnley’s wife: “Is that you Johnny C. you dirty, dirty boy you?”
    Johnny C.: Nooo lass, it’s not me. It sum utha pillock.

• 9 sing in the corner // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:46 PM

(bless me!)

• 10 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:47 PM

Is Carver the new Director of Communications?

• 11 toonarmydownsouth // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:47 PM

This is f**king disgraceful

Regardless of what you think of them as players and their ability to continue to play at this level this shows a huge amount of disrespect and disdain for 2 long serving professionals who have given 100% for the club, be that in the prem or the championship these lads were model pro’s
    They deserve better than this

Good luck lads, Charnley f**k off you gutless gobsh1te

• 12 GeordieTwo // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:47 PM

The Fans Forum has been cancelled in favour of a “Welcome Stevie Mac” party Ibiza mate. Did you not get your RRSP?

• 13 toonarmydownsouth // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:48 PM

Also well done Carver, “forced to do it” could say no…..

• 14 John Tudor // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:48 PM

arse licker smuck

• 15 Belfast // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:50 PM

The job is McClarens always has been. They’ve wanted him from January.

Can’t see him turning it down again when he’s out of work now.

Viera will probably be interviewed, but Steve will be the man they really want.

• 16 GeordieTwo // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:51 PM

A lot of you have been waiting for the next exciting development in the Newcastle United Head Coach Search. Well it’s actually being developed as a new reality TV program. Starring Donald Trump as Mike Ashley. Beautiful.

• 17 ronaldo aarons // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:51 PM

How dare you post the gist of my link?!!! I’m going to have to take you to court now… Expect to hear from my lawyer.

• 18 GeordieTwo // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:52 PM

I wish I had a comb over like the Donald. Sigh.

• 19 Ibizatoon // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:53 PM

G2…What day is it scheduled for? Fairly sure I’m busy. Might be washing my hair or something equally important.

• 20 ronaldo aarons // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:54 PM

Has toonbrother been on recently? He loved going on about mclaren in January and how everyone who wanted garde was an idiot. I’d like to to hear if he still feels the same about mclaren.

• 21 pspelectrical // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:54 PM

I cant understand wot the fuss is about to be honest, ryan Taylor has had a very good wage out of the club, a millionaire not to mention, gutty fair enough but before his illness he was out on loan for a season to chris h at norwitch, surely he was never going to get a contract,
    Now lets all get a grip,,,,,, i and most of you wouldn’t give 2 f***s if we were in that possition.

• 22 Essex Geordie Bill // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:55 PM

That sort of conduct not only shames the club, it reflects shame on the Toon supporters in the eyes of the world.

I find it offensive and disgusting.

If carver hasn’t the decency and balls to tell Ashley to sack someone in a more respectful manner then I not only hope he not doesn’t get the Toon job, I also hope he never gets another in football at any level.

Carver I hope you are reading this comment!

Incidentally re the previous thread aren’t the alcoholic beverages mentioned Lagers not Beers. Makes Ed’s headline into an oxymoron!!

• 23 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:56 PM

Vieira has Sibierski’s backing

• 24 Spreadthetoon // Jun 1, 2015 at 8:00 PM

Optimism has turned to Pessimism. If NUFC treat players this way then they act with impunity.
    Forget the shortlist as this could be more spin. McClaren will be shoed in! Tell us what if MA does that I think he can expect a half empty stadium next year!
    Enough is enough! Disgrace!

• 25 Essex Geordie Bill // Jun 1, 2015 at 8:01 PM

That third paragraph got screwed up, I sure you all can work out what I’m saying. 🙂

• 26 BandB // Jun 1, 2015 at 8:01 PM

Despite Mike’s little pas de deus with the truth being the star turn of his public career, that Sunday was Jonas’s day and it always will be as long as Newcastle fans can dream.
    We may have been fed on a diet of crap that was so bad it was hard to believe us and the rest of the league were playing the same game, but Jonas gave us the fairytale of the season.
    We will remember that long after Ashley and his mind games have been rightly consigned to the wrong side of history.
    Class against rags.

Howay the Lad and Howay the Fans.

• 27 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 1, 2015 at 8:13 PM

To the tat man’s interview Blackley said he won’t believe anything will change until the tat man sacks the tea boy and the cones guy. It is clear that the comedian’s dad has to go too. A complete bunch of incompetents.

The tea boy is right out of his depth. Does he not understand the importance of respecting the players and the fans? Even if just from a business perspective?

Has he any idea what Newcastle United is about? Does he even get that the club is in the entertainment industry?

Blackley laughed at conspiracy theories that the Vieira talk was an attempt to sell season tickets. Why? Because it would have the opposite effect when hopes were dashed. No conspiracy. Just plain incompetence.

• 28 Billythefish // Jun 1, 2015 at 9:37 PM

This lot are shit frightened of any sort of confrontation, McLaren will be appointed as he will tow the party line with the incumbents running the club.
    PV Won’t work with these idiots and amateurs.

• 29 Sav // Jun 2, 2015 at 5:41 AM

Hold on a mo – The two lads were in Northern Ireland at the time. Carver was going on his holidays. Over the phone is an ok way to do it under these circumstances and the fact it is Taylor’s phone mot Jonas’ hardly makes a difference, There’s no nice way to sack someone and they surely don’t want to be recalled to Newcastle to get the news both were expecting. What is unacceptable is reading it in the papers or like young Adam Campbell hearing it on Twitter. That is a disgrace.
    While it isn’t Carver’s call, if Carver is a good mate, he may, as a kindness, have offered to deliver the bad news to RT and JG instead of Charmless doing it. On the other hand, Pardew should have told Charnley to tell Guti to ‘find another club’ himself, as that was also disgraceful behaviour from the club. Who knows but the fact he didn’t or couldn’t may have contributed to his leaving for Palace. We may never know.

• 30 boltonmagpie // Jun 2, 2015 at 2:29 PM

I assume none of the current hierarchy have this hanging in the stadium, or their offices!

“What is a club in any case?”

“Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it.

It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes.”

“It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.”

“It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.”

Bobby Robson.

I don’t get the chance to go to SJP very often as live in the North West. Not sure I can really be bothered at the moment. The club is a laughing stock. We used to be everyone’s favourite second club.- not any more. Half of me wanted to get relegated as they were not fit to wear the shirt from January until the last game, but the other half feared we would never get back. This time we would do a Leeds. Southampton Swansea and Stoke all offer more hope (and attractive football) to their fans and they are nowhere as “big” a club as us. Another 8 years of Ashlay / Charneley mis-management and we’ll still only turnover £100m from TV while the rest of the PL will be at £150m plus!!

previous post: Newcastle To Play In The Beer Capital Of The World