The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle To Play In The Beer Capital Of The World

6:37 pm, Monday, June 1st, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 77 Comments

There’s some news coming through from the Milwaukee Brewers,  that Newcastle United will be playing in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on July 14th and it looks like it’s a game against Atlas FC – a Mexican side.

The news was sent out on the Brewers Twitter feed.

Miller Park 0001

Miller Park – home of the Brewers

There’s nothing yet from Newcastle on this, so we shouldn’t get too far ahead of ourselves, but one thing Lee Charnley has to do is to arrange some pre-season fixture,  and Newcastle were supposed to be in a tournament with Swansea City in Dallas in July – but we withdrew from that and then the tournament was cancelled.

It does seem the Magpies want to come over to the US again his summer, after the adventures of 2011,  where the players did a lot of travelling and found out just how hot and humid it is in the states in the summer.

Milwaukee is famous for its beer,  and is known as the beer capital of the world – and is the home to a number of American brands including Pabst, Schlitz, and Miller – which the stadium is named after – and the baseball team is named the Milwaukee Brewers – they don’t have an MLS team.

It reminds us when the Newcastle Breweries were straight across Barrack Road from St James’ Park, and you could smell the Newcastle Brown Ale – and that’s one reason our lads did so well in the 1950’s – winning three FA Cups in 1951, 1952 and 1955 – the smell of beer inspired them.

Right.

🙂

It will be interesting to see where the tour will be this summer and whether more games will be arranged in the US – but it’s leaving it late to get something arranged, and that has to be a priority – once we get a new head coach in this week.

Milwaukee is in the far north of  the US, and is located on the southwestern shore of Lake Michigan – and it’s freezing cold in the winter.

milwaukee map

Tags: Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League · Tour

77 responses so far ↓

• 1 Pokat // Jun 1, 2015 at 6:39 PM

I hope our form doesn’t continue to droop during pre season.

• 2 Pokat // Jun 1, 2015 at 6:41 PM

Geordie two I actually did wonder if Willo did engage in any backroom activities with Johnny C I just couldn’t figure out how he kept getting into the first team.

• 3 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 1, 2015 at 6:43 PM

I think the germans may disagree with this headline.

• 4 Jail for Ashley // Jun 1, 2015 at 6:44 PM

Just seen the interview with Jonas and RTaylor. It beggars belief. I remember as a young lad it was considered bad form if the office rang you to tell you the job was finished rather than the foreman. This guy just saved us from being relegated and he doesn’t even get a personal call. Churnley, Moncur Beardsley, they’re all in Ashleys pocket.

• 5 newfan28 // Jun 1, 2015 at 6:46 PM

As a US fan who chose Newcastle as his favorite team and grew up in Milwaukee WELCOME ALL MY FELLOW NEWCASTLE FANS! Come to Wisconsin. I promise we will treat all to a good time!

• 6 jayphoto // Jun 1, 2015 at 6:49 PM

Aww FFS ed, i read this and thought they were coming to Burton

• 7 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 1, 2015 at 6:51 PM

Jfa, BandB and anyone else who mentioned the Jonas ant Raylor thing….

Yeah, it’s pathetic the way this has been done. I was hearing rumblings as earlt as friday night that it was done via phone, because they were doing coaching badges, but had no idea it was so blunt. Classless

• 8 Belfast // Jun 1, 2015 at 6:54 PM

Those rumblings was probably just your stomach Markass

• 9 Average_Contents // Jun 1, 2015 at 6:55 PM

Woah! What? I’m in total shock at this latest revelation.

I thought the slug was going to change his ways after that not so staged interview?

Getting penfold to Make honest john tell two seasoned pro’s over the phone that they were being fcuked off after years of loyalty and passion for the club.

Surely not?

This new leaf is looking decidedly like the old one. Classic classless slug.

• 10 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 1, 2015 at 6:56 PM

Ok, who left the gate open at the tw@ farm?…

How goes it Belfast 😀

• 11 dok - the horrid colonial // Jun 1, 2015 at 6:56 PM

guess I have to toss out my sign I made for the dallas visit…

“Ashley get the fcuk out of my club, AND my country”.,…

• 12 Belfast // Jun 1, 2015 at 6:57 PM

It’s probably the first time all season where Carver has used his initiative. Killing two birds with one stone.

• 13 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 1, 2015 at 6:57 PM

And the looney bin is not secure, either….

Evening A_C :-p

• 14 Average_Contents // Jun 1, 2015 at 6:57 PM

And to think that most swallowed the guff lol.

He certainly picked the perfect club and set of fans to take the piss out of didn’t he.

Jesus wept.

• 15 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 1, 2015 at 6:58 PM

Evening dok…

Ashley shouldn’t be allowed in the U.S… are there not enough obese people there??

I kid, hows you?

• 16 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:00 PM

Sissoko wants Vieira

• 17 Average_Contents // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:00 PM

Evening Markass

I thought all nufc fans were current loony bin residents. Part of the criteria or so I’ve heard.

• 18 GeordieTwo // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:00 PM

You lot obviously haven’t been involved in the modern method of sacking. Sometimes it’s a flaming arrow sticking in your flat’s front door with a message on it saying “you’re sacked pillock” and sometimes it’s just an obscene phone call with a heavy breather on the other end saying “Ashley says yor oot, so yor oot mate.”

• 19 dok - the horrid colonial // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:01 PM

YCMIU…

drying out after the monsoon hit us here in houston…

Ashley is so fat, he has his own gravitational pull around his midsection…

• 20 ronaldo aarons // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:02 PM

• 21 Sazzer // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:02 PM

I wouldn’t say Garde is less ambitious than De Boer, Bielsa and Emery. The rest of our canditates are though.

Vieira have a lot of things going for him but only managing on U21 makes him better suited as assistant to Garde.

One of them could then go on to take over Arsenal when Wenger quits.

• 22 Average_Contents // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:03 PM

Who was it that said it’s brilliant news or at least good that sissoko pledged his future to us with a few other players? Something along the lines of “the players must know something we don’t” or words to that effect. Lmfco

He’s name dropped Mourinho and mentioned champions league. Again.

• 23 Belfast // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:07 PM

Yes Mourinho is watching him and thinking Sissoko is a lazy barsteward who would never play for my team.

• 24 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:07 PM

A_C

Three squares a day, and a nice warm padded cell. All you have to say id “I believe in Mashley”

• 25 Average_Contents // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:09 PM

AshleyOut

PenfoldOut

HonestJohnOut

GuffSwallowersOut

Tacky, clueless and above all disgusting the fcuking lot of them.

I’m off before I rant some more plus I’ve got a beef blackbean going cold 😀

• 26 Pokat // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:09 PM

OK fat jokes open the floodgates.
    That’s not actually Lee Charnley, it’s a smaller Ashley orbiting the larger one, boom boom!

• 27 dok - the horrid colonial // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:09 PM

or click your heels three times , and say, ” there’s no place like sports direct, theres no place like sports direct”…

• 28 GeordieTwo // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:10 PM

I always suspected that Mourinho fella was a bit of a deviated prevert. Was he peeking through your bathroom window Moussa?

• 29 Pokat // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:10 PM

Ashleys shadow weighs 7 pounds.

• 30 Average_Contents // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:10 PM

Markass

That’s 3/4 of the fanbase then 😉

Definitely off.

• 31 dok - the horrid colonial // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:10 PM

last solar eclipse, wasn’t it simply Ashley on a ladder, blocking the sun?

• 32 Pokat // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:11 PM

Ashley? More chins than a Chinese phone book ok sorry that’s phoneist

• 33 ronaldo aarons // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:12 PM

I’ve just had a quick skim through previous posts and someone was having a go about viera being no good because he hasn’t brought any youngsters through in the three years he has had the position at city and comparing it to the set up at Barcelona. I thinks that is really unfair and just an easy way to knock him, when revamping a whole youth and development program it will take nearly a decade for it to bear fruits consistently. You might get the one one coming through here and there along the way. The Barcelona set up was already set up for decades so because viera doesn’t make it any success of it in three years means he’ll be a rubbish ‘first team’ manager.

• 34 GeordieTwo // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:13 PM

And Siem de Jong. What does he do at the club? Just curious like. Is it something to do with training, or hospitality, or season ticket renewals? Colour me puzzled.

• 35 ronaldo aarons // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:14 PM

Remember when mourinho called wenger a voyeur, I guess it really does take one to know one.

• 36 GeordieTwo // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:15 PM

Ahhhh, I see. I have it on good authority that De Jong is in charge of non-fitness. Excellent. We have that well covered then.

• 37 Pokat // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:15 PM

Nah Ronaldo viera is rubbish and that’s that. Even though we know nothing about him it’s a FACT!

• 38 ronaldo aarons // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:16 PM

Soccer sauce is saying that de boer wants the west ham job and sunderland are going for Martin jol.

• 39 Pokat // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:16 PM

Sick De Note? No idea.

Ashleys favourite song is the Embrace classic Gravity. Grrrravity boys and girls

• 40 IITianToon // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:17 PM

Dok,
    Will you be going to Milwaukee to watch the game? The Dallas cancellation was a bummer though..

Newfan28,
    Is there any way I can get in touch with you to find out about decent places to stay in Milwaukee?

• 41 Pokat // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:17 PM

Soccer sauce? Oh maybe I’ve met my FACT! Match then?

• 42 Pokat // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:18 PM

Shame I was looking forward to watching Ashley from the Grassy Knoll.

• 43 Pokat // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:19 PM

Sorry that was Grassist. And Knollist.

• 44 IITianToon // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:19 PM

@Pokat
    Hehe, good one. I had already booked my post on the sixth floor of the museum..

• 45 BandB // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:20 PM

I think if Ashley had realised just how much belief in him many fans still had he wouldn’t have made that statement.
    Now he knows, who would be surprised, and if McClaren says no, if he figured he could risk Carver until Christmas?

• 46 Pokat // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:20 PM

Hmm I’m not really contributing am I? I just sense it that’s all.

• 47 GeordieTwo // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:20 PM

All the decent places to stay in Milwaukee are actually in Chicago IITianToon mate. It’s just a quick commute away. No more than 4 hours. Each way.

• 48 ronaldo aarons // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:20 PM

Pokat
    Lol, you have convinced me… Viera out!!!

• 49 Pokat // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:21 PM

Ah iitian I was going to but apparently there’s nothing to read there any more. Shame

• 50 dok - the horrid colonial // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:22 PM

IITian,

I highly doubt it… im moving that week and was stretching myself to go to dallas for it…

now if you wanna buy my ticket, pay for my beer… ill happily go, hahah…

• 51 dok - the horrid colonial // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:23 PM

BandB,

PLEASE slap your hands for typing that blasphemy!!! ”

For shame!! lol

• 52 IITianToon // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:23 PM

@GeordieTwo I am a grad student, I’ll probably hole up in a Super 8 or Extended stay ..

• 53 Pokat // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:24 PM

Honey
    I’ve been a long time thinking
    Such a long long time
    Such a long time drinking
    And I can’t stop now
    Can you hear my heart beating?

Cos I can’t ooer Lee phone the hospital. it’s in the Phone Book you idiot!

• 54 IITianToon // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:24 PM

@dok I am sure that you earn more than me, so shouldn’t it be the other way round? 😛

• 55 ronaldo aarons // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:24 PM

Berbatov is on a free this summer, might be worth getting for a year if he isn’t classed as too old with no resale value. Didn’t he used to support newcastle? Or was it just shearer??

• 56 Pokat // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:25 PM

#sackviera. Doesn’t hurt to be well prepared lol

• 57 IITianToon // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:25 PM

@dok Are you following the U.S WNT this month? Strong squad on paper but apparently not playing to their best I heard..

• 58 GeordieTwo // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:26 PM

It’s bad luck to say no to Ashley 3 times BandB mate. It hurts his feelings. I just can’t see McLaren doing it. He’ll gladly accept as long as he has bathroom privileges in the executive dining room and Llambias’s old lease car.

• 59 Pokat // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:26 PM

No you’re right Ronaldo he always supported the Toon right up to being interested enough to actually play for us. He’d fit right in.

• 60 BandB // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:26 PM

Dok,

Never give a mug a break.
    For those who have spent a week compiling their Santy lists for Genial Uncle Mike, I think a quick “be careful what you wish for” could be in order here.

• 61 John Tudor // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:27 PM

book depository?

• 62 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:27 PM

Bloody hell come off it Sissoko

• 63 ronaldo aarons // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:27 PM

Didn’t take long http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/11644653/Newcastle-United-have-not-pursued-Patrick-Vieira.html

• 64 GeordieTwo // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:27 PM

Berbs was too old 3 years ago ronaldo mate. He’s more likely to go back to Fulham and stroll about there for a year or two.

• 65 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:28 PM

oops sorry someone posted that already

• 66 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:28 PM

The tea boy and the comedian’s dad are brewing up a right storm for the dream team of Mclaren and Carver.

The comedian’s dad is thought to be particularly keen on Mclaren. By speaking to Vieira the clowns have set the fans up for a big disappointment.

The tea boy and the comedian’s dad can’t even manage fans’ expectations never mind a premier league football club. More of the same incompetence. Wholly predictable.

• 67 GeordieTwo // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:29 PM

I just don’t believe that ronaldo mate. Next thing you’ll be telling me they haven’t pursued Shuhrat either. Harrumph.

• 68 BandB // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:31 PM

ronaldo

Loads of posters say they never click on links. So I hope you don’t mind me posting the gist.

“Newcastle United are yet to pursue their interest in Patrick Vieira and the Frenchman has not been told when he will be offered a chance to discuss the head coach role.
    That has fuelled doubts on Tyneside that Newcastle are serious about wanting to appoint him, with sources indicating to the Daily Telegraph that former England manager Steve McClaren remains highly regarded, despite turning the job down twice last season while in charge of Derby County.”

• 69 dok - the horrid colonial // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:31 PM

Tian,

yeah, ill follow, but its not the men’s WC, so ,its not like ill be wearing a pink USA shirt and have to take days off work and all… they should still be strong though, morgan has been injured, so we will have to see…

BandB, I had my wish granted, then they pulled out the plug on the dallas trip… typical, always letting me down… perhaps they heard I was gonna be the “lone sniper” lol… that’s a joke, by the way, ive never even shot a gun before…

• 70 Pokat // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:32 PM

Lee Charnleys wife –

” hello who is this?” ( slow breathing heard)
    “HELLO?”
    “it’s John. John Carver”
    ” oh hello JC, how can I help you? Lees not here”
    ” umm. Yes pet, I know. He’s here actually”
    “Oh?”
    ” Aye pet. He’s asked me to tell you to pack your stuff and get out and also pack the kids stuff while you’re on”
    “Errr you WHAT?”
    ” Aye pet…oh, nearly forgot, could you hand the phone to the kids?”

Tune in next week for Lees’ parents phone call

• 71 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:32 PM

That’s just Freddie shepherd sticking his oar in

• 72 davis_toons // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:33 PM

City offers £130,000-a-week for James Milner..but he still leaves.

He plays for pools now

• 73 lesh // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:33 PM

Jail
    As you’ll know, those whose contracts come to an end know that and really don’t need to be told.

That’s not a good way for an employee to leave a company in any event and a word of thanks doesn’t do any harm – in fact it probably does more good and I’d have thought Charnley or Carr could’ve spared a minute to do that.

However, in the case of Jonas in particular, I’d have thought a special word would’ve been appropriate. I know a nice statement was issued on behalf of the Club but that’s not the same as a handshake. Maybe Charnley hasn’t even had the balls to do that and as is, it left Jonas feeling bitter – hence his tweet.

It’s that attention to the little things, recognising people as people, human beings that makes all the difference to the ending of a relationship.

• 74 GeordieTwo // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:36 PM

So Johnny C. makes obscene phone calls to players and management while on holiday then? I should have known. If you think that’s disgusting wait til Shuhrat gets to the Toon.

• 75 GeordieTwo // Jun 1, 2015 at 7:41 PM

lesh you are talking about Newcastle United aren’t you mate? Ashley thought the Carver phone call was going above and beyond the call of duty as it was. Originally they were planning a singing postman:
    “You’re sacked, you’re sacked
    This is your last craic
    Get oot, Get oot
    We’ve given you both the boot”
    Beautiful Mike. Brilliant @68 by the way BandB mate. pmsl.

• 76 newfan28 // Jun 1, 2015 at 11:37 PM

IITianToon – MIlwaukee is not very big. If looking for cheaper places like you mentioned search around the airport. It is only about a 20 min drive to the stadium. Or if willing to drive farther search the hotel chains for Kenosha which is about 50 mins to stadium. Lots of hotel right on I-94 expressway.

• 77 WisconsinToonFan // Jun 2, 2015 at 12:03 AM

I can’t wait, I live about an hour away from and never thought I’d get the chance to see them unless I made the trip to St.James’s Park. Only downside is that because of the dimensions a full size football pitch can’t fit in a baseball stadium.

previous post: It’s Vieira, McClaren Or Garde As The New Head Coach