The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Have Good Chance Of Signing England International

2:12 pm, Tuesday, June 2nd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 29 Comments

Manchester City defender Micah Richards who turns 27 later this month,  was on loan at Serie A club Fiorentina last season,  and his contract at City will run out at the end of June when he will become a free agent and Newcastle are still interested in signing the 13 times capped England International.

Micah Richards _3204529b

Micah Richards – while at Fiorentina last season

Micah offers Newcastle an experienced player on the cheap (that’s important to this Newcastle) who can play at either at center-back or right back, so he is a good experienced versatile defender.

If Micah is brought into the club this summer it’s likely he will be used at center-back, with Daryl Janmaat firmly entrenched at right back and Daryl was our best player in his first season at the club last term – he was our Player of the Season by a healthy margin over young Ayoze Perez.

Micah has been out of the first team for a while at the Manchester club, but he has made 245 appearances for the club he joined when he was just 14 years old, when he moved from Oldham.

The England International had this to say in the Star about whether he would join Newcastle or Liverpool – who are said to be the other club interested (with Newcastle) in signing the defender:

“I’d like to get back into the England squad.” “That’s why the next move – and next season – is massive for me.” “I just want to play football.”

One thing Micah will have to consider is whether he will get into the first team at either Liverpool or Newcastle – and that will be an important factor in what he sees as a massive decision for his career.

He’ll have a better chance of first team football at Newcastle,  and that seems to be the advantage we have over Liverpool – we are not as good as Liverpool.

29 responses so far ↓

• 1 cyprus // Jun 2, 2015 at 2:16 PM

Why did the blog suddenly panic, with people ripping up their ST?

Did I miss something?

Here’s the latest I could find and it looks pretty good:

Please update me if you know something else.

• 2 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 2, 2015 at 2:16 PM

Gignac rejects Moscow

• 3 nightfa11 // Jun 2, 2015 at 2:17 PM

it doesnt matter who we sign..noone of the players we sign progress here..with stubborn, arrogant, over the hill staff..

• 4 toon22 // Jun 2, 2015 at 2:22 PM

MR gets injured enough for it to be a good chance we will sign him.
    All we sign are small,injury prone or liablilties other teams cant wait to get rid of.

Fit in perfect with MAs buisness plan.

• 5 croftus5678 // Jun 2, 2015 at 2:23 PM

i’d take richards even though he’s not a true cb he’d surely be a huge improvement on our current cb’s.

i’d love to see some real money spent on 2 top class cb’s though lets stop many many of years of poor defenders !

bring woodgate back out of retirement and back onto the sick bed 😉

• 6 Jail for Ashley // Jun 2, 2015 at 2:24 PM

From the reliable

• 7 Jail for Ashley // Jun 2, 2015 at 2:25 PM

Riverie run dry,
    Which former poster are you that has an axe to grind with me. I don’t think it a coincidence that when a brand new poster turns up and singles me out for treatment that they have previous form !

• 8 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jun 2, 2015 at 2:27 PM

So is this what its really come down too Mclaren or Carver ??!?

Of course it has its always been this way but I feel all this teasing with Vieria was a bad idea because now the daggers will be out for Mclaren straight away

They are going to have to make some major signings but I cant see how Mclaren will be able to convince players to come here instead of say Southampton, Leicester or Palace? The TV money has levelled the playing field for every team so its down to the manager to get the best out of the players and convince them that Newcastle is the club to join !

Worrying times ahead I feel

• 9 toon22 // Jun 2, 2015 at 2:28 PM

SM will have the shortest honey moon period in footballing history,might even be 0 days.

• 10 ilovetoon8788 // Jun 2, 2015 at 2:29 PM

Charnley main preferred choice has and will always be steve mclaren. the rest of rumours are just developed to make it sound like they are trying.

steve mclaren will be our next manager. guaran-damn-teed.

we are shi* club now and will always be. next season target will be avoiding relegation again.

• 11 Belfast // Jun 2, 2015 at 2:30 PM

Belfast // Jun 2, 2015 at 2:29 PM

Steve McClaren was sacked by England, Wolfsburg and Derby county.

Middlesbrough (left for England)
    England (sacked)
    Twente (left for Wolfsburg)
    Wolfsburg (sacked)
    Notts Forest (resigned)
    Twente (resigned)
    Derby (sacked)

He’s been sacked in 3 of his 7 jobs not six. Who ever told you it was six made it up. lol

• 12 Belfast // Jun 2, 2015 at 2:31 PM

That fact probably came from twitter no doubt. 🙂

I’ve said it was McClaren from the get go. He’s the man they’ve wanted all along.

• 13 Jail for Ashley // Jun 2, 2015 at 2:32 PM

It was seven out of eight the other day, I Googled it as I was going to mention it in one of my posts, when I remembered the ‘source’ was Rotunda, I sourced my own info. H e has a habit of twisting figures, he might have a chance of a place on our PR team.

• 14 Barton // Jun 2, 2015 at 2:33 PM

Well they can stick there renewal up there @rse after todays news,the brolly wally or Charver,ffs, final nail for me,i give up.

• 15 ilovetoon8788 // Jun 2, 2015 at 2:34 PM

there’s nothing impressive on steve mclaren CV. he’s like a sideways move to pardew. they are getting a manager that will allow us to finish in the bottom half but away from relegation.

pathetic choice.

• 16 NezzaNUFC // Jun 2, 2015 at 2:35 PM

What’s the point in Investing money into NUFC when SM or JC will be in charge?

It’s only going to be another Pardew fiasco!

• 17 Belfast // Jun 2, 2015 at 2:36 PM

I’ve seen it on here a load of times Jail. Haha

I was thinking the other day that can’t be right, so checked it for myself today.

• 18 optimistic prime // Jun 2, 2015 at 2:37 PM

Mclaren and Richards, my we are punching above our weight.

Both second rate shite no one else would touch.

The excitement of the future is unbearable

• 19 NezzaNUFC // Jun 2, 2015 at 2:38 PM

Don’t count on it mate, with SM in charge Newcastle could get relegated this new season.

People may think he’s an safer option and can guarantee mid table safety but I beg to differ.

• 20 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jun 2, 2015 at 2:39 PM

Should be no surprise really seeing as Ashley has never hired a foreigner at management level in any of his companies

Uses a lot of them on zero hour contracts mind you ……

• 21 NezzaNUFC // Jun 2, 2015 at 2:40 PM

Chelsea target Sissoko! and with PV out of the running he will leave as will the rest including Perez

• 22 ilovetoon8788 // Jun 2, 2015 at 2:40 PM

@NezzaNUFC // Jun 2, 2015 at 2:38 PM

i agree with you. SM CV is either he’s sacked or he resigns as soon as his team plays like shi*.

but just looking at other ‘lesser’ clubs and the names of managers they are linked with, it feels like we are being betrayed all over again.

how on earth can JC name still be in contention for the job. ridiculous.

• 23 cyprus // Jun 2, 2015 at 2:40 PM

Thanks JFA.
    Still it would be an amazing scoop if those two figured out what the whole nation (sort of) is guessing.

On Richards, reading his interview, this guy seems exactly for us.

Of course, two concerns. Injuries. Why has he not been playing, even at ‘lowly’ Fiorentina? When I saw him play he seemed very very good.

• 24 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 2, 2015 at 2:41 PM

Please sack carver

• 25 Belfast // Jun 2, 2015 at 2:45 PM

He wouldn’t of been my choice like, but it could be worse I suppose. I think what happens in the transfer market is a lot more important than the appointment of McClaren tbh

If it’s the usual transfer blueprint we’re ferked, but if they properly back him he could do reasonably well.

And by properly backing him I mean 10-15 million range not 4-5 million players with “potential”.

• 26 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Jun 2, 2015 at 2:46 PM

you realize florentina would crush NUFC 7 days a week, right?

• 27 BandB // Jun 2, 2015 at 2:48 PM

Ashley runs a main business that doesn’t do public relations and never has. He is used to being obeyed.
    He is also a man who seems to like a frisson of “I’m smarter than you” written into his dealings.
    I think these two things explain his public relations record.

A good PR person will tell his client you cannot put lipstick on a pig.
    That doesn’t look to be happening.
    The TV interview had the aim of saying “you’ll not get me out, so stop trying. I might even make a few changes if you let me off the hook.”
    Some decry conspiracy theories. But the fact remains that if the club did not want to allow the Vieira story to take hold, they could have quickly scotched it.
    The Vieira story emerged on Sky within an hour of the Telegraph reporting that a McClaren coronation would take place this week, in what appeared to me as an attempt to kill the Telegraph’s story.
    The Vieira story has put McClaren in a gibbet.

Some will argue that Ashley will love all this. But it creates the massive impression that he thinks sticking one up the fans, both loyal and critical, is far more of a priority than winning games of football.

• 28 BURNLEY FOOTBALL CLUB // Jun 3, 2015 at 3:00 AM

As shit as Richards may be, he is still to talented to play for a basket case club like these wankers known as Newcastle United

• 29 BURNLEY FOOTBALL CLUB // Jun 3, 2015 at 3:09 AM

Even though Richards is shite, he is still too good to play for a scum team like Newcastle.

previous post: It’s Either McClaren Or Carver For Head Coach – So Disappointing