The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Report Patrick Vieira To Turn Down Newcastle

9:03 am, Tuesday, June 2nd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 36 Comments

There are reports today that Turkish powerhouse Fenerbahce want Manchester City U21 coach Patrick Vieira as their new Technical Director, and they have suddenly emerged as rivals for the former Arsenal great – who is supposed to be interviewed this week for the Newcastle head coach job.

patrick vieira 21

Patrick Vieira – approached by Turkish side Fenerbehce

A hint of that possibility came yesterday from former Newcastle player Antoine Sibierski, the former Manchester City midfielder who played for us from 2006-2007.

Antoine had said yesterday there was interest in Patrick from another club.

Turkish television channel Canli are now reporting that Patrick Vieira will turn down Newcastle United and sign on at Fenerbehce as their new Technical Director.

Now there have been reports like this in the past from Turkey, which have turned out to be untrue,  so we’ll just have to wait and see what’s really going on at the moment..

But Patrick Vieira has become a big favorite with Newcastle fans, but we are having increasing doubts that  Lee Charnley will be that bold enough – or can be that bold would be closer to the truth – to appoint Patrick.

There’s still a very high likelihood that Steve McClaren will get the job, because that’s an easy decision and he’s wanted by Graham Carr who wields significant power at Newcastle these days.

If Steve is appointed, that will be a (big) blow to our chances of becoming great again – well at least in the short-term.

He’s the much easier choice for Newcastle, and John Carver and the current coaching staff can then stay in place, and that will solve another problem for Charnley.

John and the coaching staff will stay in place, even though they didn’t exactly cover themselves in glory this year, getting Newcastle just one point in 10 games and almost getting us relegated from the Premier League on the last day of the season.

Picky, picky.

Newcastle’s decision-making this year has had no logic to it,  and has hardly been bold – and that’s what’s needed if Patrick is to get the head coach position.

We’re hoping it can still happen.

Update – Sky Sports have confirmed today that Patrick Vieira is out of the running for the job at Newcastle United.

Tags: Coaching · Head coach · Management · Newcastle News · Premier League

36 responses so far ↓

• 1 ilovetoon8788 // Jun 2, 2015 at 9:05 AM

It’s going to be Steve mcclaren. We just got to accept it. And carver will be no.2.

We will never learn.

• 2 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 2, 2015 at 9:06 AM

Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 2, 2015 at 9:05 AM

Not a fan of Laudrup.

On Vieira though, it isn’t the fact it is him that excites me – although the more I have read on him the last few days the better I feel about his appointment – it is the fact it represents a huge change of attitude by the club. Vieira represents a whole new thinking and the potential that Ashley maybe has seen the light in terms of running a forward moving and progressive football club on the field, as well as off it.

McClaren to me represents maintaining the status quo, while he isn’t a bad coach, it is the fact he represents the club not moving forward and just aiming at security in the Prem, rather than pushing on.

You could replace those names with others if you like, but it would be someone who falls into the first category that would alway get my vote, rather than the second. Some managers wouldn’t fall into either, and would just be a bad move, I put Laudrup outside of the 2 categories above as a bad move.

• 3 optimistic prime // Jun 2, 2015 at 9:08 AM

Totally agree, all I got from his interview is IM STAYING.

I heard it as waffle.
    It’s his fault but he doesn’t make the decisions, why hasn’t he replaced Charnley then?
    Why on earth did Charnley loan 5 to Rangers if Ashley has no involvement in football matters?

Ashley has made various false promises through different mouth pieces over the years, coming out and speaking himself threw everyone. Doesn’t matter he NEVER promised anything the fact he spoke was enough for some.

I may be called optimistic but I’m not a fool, I’m prepared to be proved wrong but I’m also prepared for more of the last 8years.

Ashley out

• 4 Griff-toon // Jun 2, 2015 at 9:09 AM

Good morning everyone.

Anything exiting happening at our club today?

• 5 dave 1961 // Jun 2, 2015 at 9:09 AM

I will never Except Mcclaren and anyone that does is a complete idiot that has no clue about football, & they are just sheep. Mcclaren is a donkey.

• 6 optimistic prime // Jun 2, 2015 at 9:11 AM

I’m not really inspired by any of the 3 signings from last thread.

Considering the state of the squad I’d say they’re not what the squad wants or needs.

• 7 Rotonda heights // Jun 2, 2015 at 9:14 AM

dave 61

will you never accept him. I could except him for a lot of things

• 8 optimistic prime // Jun 2, 2015 at 9:16 AM

I never bought into Vierra really being a option as lg said I’ve also read some good stuff about him and it would be a interesting choice.

I beleive it’s Mclaren always has been, if not carver until atleast Xmas. I’d hoped the way things go at NUFC maybe a outsider or Guarde may have got it but that’s the romantic side of being a fan.

Expect sunshine, plan for rain.

• 9 Uri Gellers Magic Mind // Jun 2, 2015 at 9:16 AM

Yeah after all the hysteria I’ve resigned myself to the fact that it’s McClaren. I think we should accept that’s the case and anything else is a bonus.

Remember Ashley specialises in doing the opposite to our wishes he probably saw the poll in the chronny and that made his mind up

• 10 beermonkey // Jun 2, 2015 at 9:17 AM

was it not lambiase who first mentioned us loaning rangers players
    and the way the deal was structured it had to be on the orders of Ashley
    again pr wise this could have been done a lot different
    for me if we were going to have ties to rangers if they gained promotion it is not a bad place for them to go

• 11 Rotonda heights // Jun 2, 2015 at 9:20 AM

Basically nothing has changed. Bishop has been in overdrive re-season tickets, spinning more than Shane Warne.

Viera signified a dramatic bold new approach. McLaren and carver signify same old, same old. 1000’s want Viera, maybe 10’s want McLaren.

I hope the boycotts continue as Ashley couldn’t lie in bed straight. If people are stupid enough to keep going to watch the circus with it’s latest clown and the retained performing chimps they kind of deserve everything that’s inevitably coming.

• 12 LGFUAD21 // Jun 2, 2015 at 9:20 AM

Dave. Learn to spell accept before denouncing others idiots please. Shameful if the date in your name indicates your age and only renders your opinion of Mcclaren obsolete if you can’t spell words that my 19 year old niece can.

Gladly f**k off if you ant get behind the team and manager whoever it is.

• 13 Griff-toon // Jun 2, 2015 at 9:21 AM

Im starting to believe Vieira was in fact just a smoke screen. However I didnt realy whant him as manager because he is totally unproven. And you dont become a good manager just because you where a good player.

But im not interested in Mclaren either.

Why do I feel that we are so used to scraping the barrel for scraps that we have forgotten our god given right for something better!

(might be a slight Braveheart quote there)

• 14 LGFUAD21 // Jun 2, 2015 at 9:22 AM

Dave should learn to spell before calling everybody else idiots.

Shameful if your dob is 1961

• 15 tequilamag // Jun 2, 2015 at 9:22 AM

Interesting take on it

• 16 Lee Dodd // Jun 2, 2015 at 9:23 AM

Why would you go to Turkey of all places ??? Technical Director ??? The Best league in the world is the Premier League … The best Club The Best Fans The Mighty NUFC !!!!!! VIERA has to come to Newcastle … Charnley does NOT want another seaon like this one has become or a third season were from Jan or Feb we Jump Into Relegation Mode !!!

• 17 beermonkey // Jun 2, 2015 at 9:25 AM

very rarely do w go back for a player if they turn us down
    so far McLaren has turned us down 2 3 times yet were still trying to roll out the carpet for the man

for me if he comes now its cos he has to rather than wants to and I think that’s the wrong attitude
    I don’t get the obsession with McLaren

• 18 Griff-toon // Jun 2, 2015 at 9:25 AM

Lee Dodd

Because more money in Turkey? maby

• 19 will die for the toon army // Jun 2, 2015 at 9:32 AM

Thank God. Didnt want him. Now back to reality.

• 20 Pokat // Jun 2, 2015 at 9:32 AM

Dave is a malteserist and a part time religious intolerant if memory serves lol. Spelling is not one of his big faults ha ha

• 21 hibbit // Jun 2, 2015 at 9:33 AM

season ticket sales are going to be a big talking point if the polls have any meaning if Mc gets the job season ticket sales should be at rock bottom if Mc looks at any of the polls he will see the fans are not giving him vote of confidence they will be on his back from the kick off no one wants him

• 22 midweek weekend // Jun 2, 2015 at 9:33 AM

Don’t get why we want Mcclaren so bad as people mentioned yesterday he ain’t managed in the prem in 10 years failed at Derby and now I think this whole viera really was just a smoke screen, appointmenting Mcclaren is a mistake nobody wants him but the club still do the opposite, ahhh

• 23 Byker Boy // Jun 2, 2015 at 9:34 AM

If Steve McLaren comes my season ticket is no more!

• 24 sickandtired // Jun 2, 2015 at 9:39 AM

@ Beer – Llambias was standing before RFC supporters telling them what a great thing Ashley was for their Club while he was still OUR MD!
    That’s another example of an utter failure in Ashley’s football ‘adventure’.
    How he became a Billionaire I truly have trouble understanding.

• 25 dave 1961 // Jun 2, 2015 at 9:39 AM

ok i thought it was a football blog not a literacy contest and the 1961 is a moment in time an event that occurred that had a major influence on my life.

• 26 will die for the toon army // Jun 2, 2015 at 9:42 AM

Paco Jeminez was the man I wanted wld settle in well. Wen we lost him I lost hope. Now watever comes but not some who will distruct us with watever the management is building coz am tired of protests.

• 27 dave 1961 // Jun 2, 2015 at 9:46 AM

I’m an atheist but i have studied religion in great detail I’m tolerant with religion, everyone to their own, i have no problem with gay’s or race, but i cant stand people screwing up the football team i have supported all my life, i went to the 20 games with the lowest crowds, i went to west ham after the petrol bomb, i do whatever i want go where ever i want and no one can stop me. i never except second best, and i will never say give something time when i already know the outcome. i never gave Pardew time and i will not give Mcclaren time.

• 28 WLtoon // Jun 2, 2015 at 9:49 AM

WHAT? im shocked. Viera may be going to Turkey instead of us?
    Give me a break, He was never going to come here in the first place.
    What proof is there that he was even interested and wanted to talk?
    So what if he loved playing our stadium, its his future and his reputation we are now talking about, his AMBITION.
    For all you blind faithful who will but season tickets, just remember what you are buying into.
    When,at the end of the season we are struggling for our lives AGAIN, please dont complain,because you knew what to expect from this lot.
    Maclaren wont be allowedthe lickings of a dog by the fans if he starts poorly and we will be looking for excuses again by xmas.
    I am talking as though Maclaren has been given the job,thats bcos i cant see any other options on offer.

• 29 barthez01 // Jun 2, 2015 at 9:54 AM

Yet again it seems we have witnessed a false dawn. The upbeat mood after the final game of the season along with Ashley’s interview stupidly give me hope that past mistakes had been learnt from and we were going to do something pencil this close season. I dared to believe that we had the vision to go and get someone like viera but no this is nufc where we don’t do bold. Steve mcclaren at best is just another pardew. Christ he has been sacked from average run of the mill clubs like forest, derby etc. how can someone like this improve us. I’m very downbeat and disillusioned, yet another golden opportunity wasted!!!

• 30 will die for the toon army // Jun 2, 2015 at 10:07 AM

NUFC fans demand alot wen they dont want u. Big Sam & AP.

• 31 The overrated Frenchman // Jun 2, 2015 at 10:31 AM

Of course the buck stops with Ashley, but Charnley and Carr are the biggest hurdles to success we face, as it stands. Incompetent, crooked, totally ill- equipped to do the jobs required if them. Between them they’ll make sure McClaren gets the job. We are hard-wired for failure with these clowns making the big decisions.

• 32 onepeterb // Jun 2, 2015 at 10:33 AM

If boers is s smoke screen it was one created by bookies and press. As far as I can see no names have been mentioned by the club

• 33 onepeterb // Jun 2, 2015 at 10:36 AM

Winners and man managers like Souness and Gullit were spectacular failures. I am of the opinion that, with the exception of Sir Bob, everything else was “hit and hope”

• 34 davis_toons // Jun 2, 2015 at 11:41 AM

Ashley is begging for Steve McClaren.

• 35 davis_toons // Jun 2, 2015 at 11:44 AM

Brendan Rodgers for Newcastle anytime of the day..McC stay away pls.

• 36 pethmag // Jun 3, 2015 at 9:00 AM

And the sheep still believe that we could possibly sign a half decent manager and players . When will they learn it’s never going 2 happen .
    Do not renew season tickets and do not go to games or support the slug in any shape or form .
    But this will not happen as the sheep will still flock to sjp in hope only to be disappointed again .

previous post: This Newcastle Appointment Could Be A Master Stroke