The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren Already Having Negative Influence On Transfers

9:37 am, Thursday, June 4th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 152 Comments

Newcastle need to bring in a number of new players this summer, and once Steve McClaren is appointed as the new head coach early next week, those transfer negotiations will be restarted in earnest, and it’s Lee Charnley’s job to get in the (six?) new players as soon as possible, so that they are available when pre-season starts in early July – which is only four weeks away.

patrick bamford -boro

Patrick Bamford – 21 year-old Chelsea striker

One such target is Chelsea’s 21 year-old Patrick Bamford, and the hope is he comes in on a season long loan deal with a permanent move to Newcastle being made next summer.

However, the Northern Echo is reporting that a year last January,  Patrick was on loan at Derby County under Steve McClaren, and Steve kept playing him out on the wing, to the youngster’s obvious frustration.

In fact Patrick still did quite well at Derby scoring scored eight goals in his 23 appearances, and helped them reach the Championship play-off final at Wembley, where they lost out to QPR, with the last minute winner coming from Bobby Zamora for 10 men QPR.

Patrick tried to get McClaren to play him up front as a striker but to no avail, so when McClaren tried to re-sign Bamford at the start of last season, the youngster didn’t want to play under McClaren.

Instead he  joined Middlesbrough on loan, and scored 19 goals in 43 appearances last season for the side who were beaten 2-0 in the Championship play-off final by Norwich City.

And the same thing could happen this season, and Patrick could turn down a move to Newcastle on loan for next season .

But Jose Mourinho will be the one who makes the final decision on where Bamford will go next season, and one thing is for sure – that there will be a number of Premier League clubs wanting to sign Patrick on loan.

It could now be unlikely that Patrick Bamford will be joining Newcastle on loan this summer.

Tags: Loan Moves · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

152 responses so far ↓

• 1 Laurent Robert 32 // Jun 4, 2015 at 9:39 AM

The misery continues.

• 2 optimistic prime // Jun 4, 2015 at 9:41 AM

Step foward Pardew number two

Maybe Chester is our new striker?

• 3 cjtoon // Jun 4, 2015 at 9:42 AM

I really don’t think A head scout should be involved in appointing a manager in the first place. Even if GC has provided his opinion I’m pretty sure there will have been applicants all of which will have been sifted through to get us down the the mythical shortlist we heard about.

Its really unfair to put the blame for anything on to a scout – most clubs probably don’t even know who their head scout is, everything is so scrutinised at NUFC. Rightly so given how poor our decision making seems to be. Hugely negative nonetheless

• 4 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 4, 2015 at 9:43 AM

I didn’t say they would necessarily have him back. I said they would swap where they were with him for where they have been pretty much ever since. If they wouldn’t then they obviously are quite happy slumming it in the championship. Fair enough if that is what they want.

As for McClaren here, I haven’t said anything other than a continuation, but slightly better than Pardew and Carver.

Never greeted Ashley’s speech with optimism, he just played on the fact Newcastle fans are generally a hopeful bunch, you have to be to support this club, and he knew some would take what he said in a positive way as they hoped he was about to change.

• 5 jayphoto // Jun 4, 2015 at 9:43 AM

Ha! Couldn’t care less if we miss the chance to sign and develop a Chelsea youth player… I’d rather Perez got cames over Bamford.
    Whoever takes Bamford will have to guarantee Chelsea he plays about 60-75% of matches…. I hope we have better strikers on the field for this time myself.
    Also Bamford was 20 when he played for Derby and Derby during his time there won a lot of games scoring a lot of goals. He was in no place to demand to start up front and in truth at the time wasn’t good enough. He got a few minutes up top and wasn’t that effective.
    And who knows, maybe being allowed to adapt to the pace of the league playing wide of a front 3 (he didn’t play midfield he played as a right forward) contributed to the season he just had at boro?

• 6 Rotonda heights // Jun 4, 2015 at 9:43 AM

Karanka would have been good.

Expectations have been lowered so much now, I’m finding it hard to really care any more.

• 7 Rotonda heights // Jun 4, 2015 at 9:45 AM

your last paragraph at 4 – spot on.

• 8 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 4, 2015 at 9:45 AM

Small World,
    I’m not sure what the relevance of what previous coaches has to do with appointing Steve McClaren. There isn’t any as far as I can see. It is just a completely pointless stand point that has zero bearing on this appointment.

• 9 jayphoto // Jun 4, 2015 at 9:45 AM

worth noting aswell that Bamford performed so well out wide that he got a player of the month award…He went 5 or 6 games without scoring when he played through th centre there and resumed scoring when he went back out wide.

• 10 Lindisfarne // Jun 4, 2015 at 9:46 AM

Where is the potential resale value in hiring McClaren?

• 11 Mr Magpie // Jun 4, 2015 at 9:49 AM

Why would we want to improve Chelsea youngsters, it’s unlikely Mourinho will sell him. Much rather see Adam Armstrong getting some games.

Hopefully we bring in better quality strikers to allow Armstrong to get a season out on loan at a championship club.

• 12 Rotonda heights // Jun 4, 2015 at 9:50 AM

just pray god it’s not another insane 8 year contract

• 13 NezzaNUFC // Jun 4, 2015 at 9:51 AM

Who cares anymore?

We are f@cked anyway with SM in charge.

• 14 cjtoon // Jun 4, 2015 at 9:52 AM

I just wonder if and when McClaren is appointed we can unite as a fan base and try and create a positive club image. Both vocally at SJP and generally.

It’s going to be another circus if a Sack McClaren dot com is set up before the season has even started – Which in all honest I really wouldnt bet against!

Though he isn’t an inspired signing should we make the appointment, I feel he will get a strong hold on the squad, demand authority & play better football than we have watched in the past 2-3 years.

I think he will get more from our ‘flair’ players and genuinely turn us into a more attacking side. Only time will tell, I think overwhelming negativity around his appointment would be embarrassing – It will be more to do with the signings we make this summer, for me and I hope a lot of you also think that is the main indicator of intent

• 15 optimistic prime // Jun 4, 2015 at 9:57 AM

I didn’t expect much to change and felt a bit awkward/strange seeing people getting excited over Vierra.

The whole search for a HC thing looks quite unproffesonal at best. Can’t see transfers being any better. That’s just me though, I may be optimistic but I’m not being fooled again.

You’d think Boro fans would want to be in EPL but they’re a weird bunch, grounds empty the majority of the season.
    I know some Sunderland fans who’d like to of been relegated so they could win some games and “re build”.. It takes all sorts of fans.

I can no longer hope assume or expect things to get better, until something substantial actually changes I’ll continue to be skeptical and against everything Ashley does.

He’s done nothing for the benifit of NUFC in 8 years, I can’t see him starting now!

• 16 Slank // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:01 AM

Isn’t a strange that so many don’t want McClaren because he was a Championship manager but do want Bamford who is a Championship player.

I’m with the others. I would want the club to push on with Armstrong. A loan spell would do him good.

• 17 barkel // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:01 AM

I’m looking forward to the press conference when they announce the new HC, will be interesting to see if Charnley shows up or they leave him by himself like the did with Pardew

• 18 jayphoto // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:02 AM

ha imagine a before we even start.
    I’d prefer a ramped up AshleyOut campaign if a suitable transfer window isn’t had! Made worse that he stood there in an interview and lied to us. Obviously they’ve got some time in the transfer window but really our dealings on all fronts should be done before the first game of the season

• 19 optimistic prime // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:03 AM

A intresting take on the tv money

• 20 JDdubai // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:04 AM

I think people will give him a chance if he takes over – he wont be anyone’s first choice pretty much, except toonbrother) but lets see how he does.

Just wish it was sorted already so they can start trying to get players over that line…

• 21 Lindisfarne // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:07 AM

• 22 Slank // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:08 AM

What’s the betting that if we lose the first two games the ‘’ will be up and running.

• 23 jayphoto // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:11 AM

@JDdubai – he’s my first choice under this blue print and structure.
    I’d rather they tore up the whole thing and gave a manager control, but if they’re not going to do that at least Mclarens relationship with Carr suggests theres more of a chance of them being on the same page.
    Under a new system i’d absolutely love them to take a gamble on a Vieira or Zidane or Gourvennec as boss but under this god awful blue print I can’t see any of the managers i’d want sticking around longer than 6 months whereas I can imagine Mclaren having us back around the 8th mark competing with Swansea, Stoke, maybe southampton mark. Can’t believe i’m just hoping we compete with those kinds of teams but after last season it seems a pipe dream even that

• 24 hibbit // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:11 AM

jd he will have to hit the floor running or he will be gone by christmas the first 3 games will be key

• 25 optimistic prime // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:12 AM

The line that’s more like the walls of Troy than a line 😉

• 26 Rotonda heights // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:12 AM

just what calibre of player do you think SM would attract compared to the likes of a Viera.

A viera had a feel good factor, SM just has a feel same old, same old factor and nothing changes.

NUFC is a waiting room for mediocrity. Very few people want this appointment and just see it ending in tears.

• 27 martoon // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:12 AM

I am massively underwhelmed but I am prepared to give him a chance – however if we have a bad start then I think supporters could turn against him quite quickly whereas someone like PV they would have been more patient!

• 28 Rotonda heights // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:13 AM

we don’t sack failing managers,we embrace them.

• 29 jayphoto // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:14 AM

@Hibbit – under Ashley he could lose every game and still not be sacked… they don’t sack managers, i’m pretty sure NUFC managers job is the safest in football. Pardew would have been sacked 2 seasons before at any other club, and again when he headbutted meyler and Carver would’t have made it past march…
    When stuffs going wrong i think Charnley just hides his head under a pillow and hope it goes away

• 30 Rotonda heights // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:15 AM

Jay at 18

You’re saying Ashley lied to us. Surely not…!!!

• 31 jayphoto // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:16 AM

Ironically I can imagine Mclaren getting the job even if Shepherd was still owner. He’s a proper Freddie Shepherd style appointment isn’t he!

• 32 hibbit // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:16 AM

rotonda i did not mean sack he has a habit of walking

• 33 Small World // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:16 AM

Although previous coaches gave no bearing on Steve Mc appointment, they go to show either our previous unwillingnes or inability to ever attract managers / coaches from the top drawer. Mike Ashley has committed a thousand sins, and is going to get in the ear over this matter where he in this respect is little different to his predecessors. I really would love for the situation to change, however can’t see what will. We almost struck lucky in finding KK and aimed for the stars, hitting only the moon. A premier league win at that point could gave changed the club forever.

We need that magic formula once more. Ambitious chairman, ambitious manager and a slice of luck

• 34 Jail for Ashley // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:18 AM

In getting McLaren, do we have to endure your whining about what a better manager could do with the squad of top players Mikey provides for the next five years.

• 35 jayphoto // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:19 AM

@Rotonda – I can’t work out Ashley mate. I’ve met the guy, and i’ve a regular client who has done business with him a few times and his treatment of Newcastle isn’t in line with how he talks about newcastle. His intentions are a bloody mystery.
    Really odd for him to do a TV interview though. If he doesn’t come through on those intentions he’ll be labelled an outright liar as its video proof of stuff coming out of his mouth, something hes never ever given before. That reputation would follow him into the business world which wouldn’t be good for him. Makes no sense to promise to try to be successful and then seemingly do your best to fail

• 36 Lindisfarne // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:20 AM

Rotonda heights

Gotta luv a hug!

I am sure the first time SMC comes out at SJP he will feel the warmth of the crowd…..sorry wrath!

• 37 cjtoon // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:20 AM

Lets hope the fixture list is Kind then, Man City Away first game probably :-p

I feel sorry for whoever it is – Negativity is oozing out of every crack of the club. If its McClaren he is starting the season on a tightrope wearing ice skates.

God only knows if it ends up being JC…I think our fan base may halve.

My main problem is the length of time its taking to announce something. If SM is apparently on holiday now why haven’t they got it all sorted before he’s gone on holiday. Mental…

• 38 Slank // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:21 AM

‘..what calibre of player do you think SM would attract compared to the likes of a Viera..’

Pardew attracted some good ones and he had never managed in Europe or a national side. But it’s a ‘what if’ that will never be answered with Vieira.

• 39 davetoon // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:23 AM

A totally desperate and sacked Championship manager was all that Charnley could get over the line

• 40 jayphoto // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:26 AM

@CJtoon – I predict Manchester United away first game.
    The big clubs always get an easy couple of fixtures to ease their way into a season, if last seasons anything to go by, ain’t no easier fixture than us.
    Also, the conspiracy theorist in me thinks the fixtures will be kindest to Man Utd. The Premier League gets most exposure and makes the most money when Man Utd are competing for the title. They are one of the biggest commercial assets if not the biggest and its in the sponsors interests for them to be as successful as possible

• 41 Slank // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:28 AM

If it is McClaren and it’s looking very likely then one possible positive should be his working relationship with Carr.

The top team at the club, like any organisation, have to work together and work well. Being all Englishmen that should certainly help. There wouldn’t be an Gallic tantrums.

I’m assuming that he will work well with our Dutch contingent and his contacts in the Dutch league may prove beneficial.

• 42 hibbit // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:29 AM

Mc is happy to work under the constraints the club have laid down the stumbling block is he wants his own staff the club have offer 2 he wants 4

• 43 Rotonda heights // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:29 AM

As you are unquestionably the undisputed resident diva of the blog can I please ask, are you the one Oxbridge let get away?

• 44 Rotonda heights // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:31 AM

get that xenophobia and sweeping generalisations in there lad

• 45 cjtoon // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:31 AM

As far as attracting players goes – Vieira may well have the edge – although he has no managerial experience and the HC is only one of a number of motivators for a player signing.

More importantly I would imagine are : Salary, League, Geographic Location, League Position, Fanbase, Existing Squad, Likelihood of Winning Anything, Likelihood of being on T.V, Squad Role, Stadium, Training Facilities, Reputation, Atmosphere etc..

I get the positivity surrounding the PV stuff, I just feel the negativity surrounding SM is equally as unwarranted. PV has no record in management so nothing to compare other than he was a great player/pro and has done well in his role at M. City.

Very few people want any appointment in all honesty, our views and opinions are very much shaped by the media as fans of NUFC. If you did an open poll on here when pardew left PV wouldn’t have been mentioned as a potential manager by more than 1-2% of fans. The media mention it and everyone gets carried away.

I just want to see a positive bouncing SJP some attractive football and to look forward to being a fan – I literally hate supporting such an inconsistent directionless mess. I think SM may stabalise and focus us. Not a worldie but I think he could be a solid appointment.

• 46 optimistic prime // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:35 AM

I’m against Ashley.
    Mclaren is just another puppet of distraction, I won’t give him a hard time for being appointed, I will if he’s bonk.

I’m very intrested to see the press conference when whoever gets the job.
    Will it be Charnley sitting next to the new HC or the HC all by himself?

IMO it’ll be the HC by himself, no way Charnleys getting asked questions that haven’t been pre arranged.

• 47 Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:35 AM

My biggest fear (aside from that im virtually done with NUFC) is that he csnt bring in his own staff? Anyone got any more info on this?

If he’s agreed to have the same backtroom then the protests need to ramp back up in full. Complete shambles if everything stays as is just a change in name.

So sick of everything this club does.

• 48 optimistic prime // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:36 AM

Where you hear/read that ?

• 49 davetoon // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:36 AM

Nice to see club insiders posting on here again. Wonder where billson has gone. Surely he would want to give the Wonga with a brolly some time.

• 50 cjtoon // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:36 AM

Yeah I get that – Utd will have a resurgence this season if they spend well and manage to keep hold of DDG in goal.

It’s in the best interests of the league for them to be up there, likewise we need to see some strong BPL performances in the champions league this season!

As always the one thing thats guaranteed is an interesting if anxious summer at SJP!

• 51 manxpie // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:36 AM

Viera can attract as many high calibre players as he wants that wouldn’t be the issue would it?
    The high wages and transfer fees that come with the best players is wat the issue is plus the fact that the head Coach doesn’t have the final say anyways

so no point in even wondering that really

• 52 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:39 AM

This redirection to app of the day is usually bad but it’s plaguing me this morning.

• 53 Jail for Ashley // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:39 AM

It was Uxbridge’s misfortune !

• 54 Magpie Season // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Well, came home from work today & I was in quite a cheerful mood; as tomorrow being Friday & Monday a public holiday (Queen’s Birthday) so planning exciting things for the long weekend et al.

Time for me to cancel some plans.

• 55 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:43 AM

This “app of the day” sh1t from d.afftrx is like Steve McClaren’s name. It never goes away. Keeps coming back to plague my life. I want shot of it but don’t know how to go about it.

• 56 jayphoto // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:44 AM

One of my clients is a Stoke City box holder and friends with the chairman there. They are talking to Konoplyanka’s representatives. If he signs for Stoke City I reckon that will be the end of Kets..
    Apparantly he wants over 100,000 a week as he’s on the equivalent of £60,000 per week after tax in Ukraine….

• 57 Sav // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:45 AM

I don’t agree with loans between clubs in the same league. If the league had any balls, they would outlaw the practice. which is shockingly unfair. There should be a cap on squad sizes instead and I mean the squad owned by the club, not just the officially declared one at the start of the season.

• 58 The overrated Frenchman // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:46 AM

Slank, I wish I could share your optimism. McClaren and Carr will be a nightmare for this club – as if we needed another one. Old school, “no harm in taking a bung or two” style. Totally out of touch with what is required in 2015. As I’ve said, many times, it beggars belief that an obviously shrewd businessman like Ashley allows control of a valuable asset to be in the hands of incompetents. Lee Charnley being the most incompetent of all. All the way with “Ashley out” I say. Maintain the rage. This club and its supporters deserve better.

• 59 WWSBRD // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:47 AM

We will miss out on Bamford?! Who we may or may not of been in for? Thats it! Final straw

Keep Carver and stick Bamford up top for the season, we need a proven striker more than a manager

• 60 Mr Magpie // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:47 AM

Uninspiring choice & a huge opportunity not taken to revolutionise the club with a new young head coach with new ideas.

Unsure if McClaren is going to be given the amount of authority at the club to change the whole structure from youth to first team which is clearly needed for us to progress.

He clearly fits best to the current transfer blueprint the club have set in place that they refuse to change. His relationship with Carr may mean that the right players for the right positions are purchased & McClaren is more likely to play them in their favoured position unlike Pardew.

He has experience of coaching Man United so should be used to dealing with any players we have with ego’s. When he worked with Tiote got the best out of him & can hopefully do this again.

Most of last season Derby played some good football, not long ball but slick passing & possession football with a youngish squad.

Yes there are many negative points & i am not exactly happy about the appointment & even unhappier about the three stooges staying on the coaching staff but i am trying to find positives & focus on them whilst awaiting some quality signings…..Hopefully!

• 61 Magpie Season // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:49 AM

But I have to say. I really can’t fathom why people are disappointed with Viera out of the running.

Gary Monk was part of the Swansea side. Knew the players personally & has been part of that club for a long time. It’s a different context to Viera coming here.

Exactly. When will we ever have a ‘Manager’ again? Who knows? The Manager is the one that will have to work with the players & spend the most time with them. To have a player in your team you do not want, is like getting an arranged marriage. Sure, you save money by not dating but there’s the risk of incompatibility.

• 62 The overrated Frenchman // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:53 AM

I have to hand it to all you optimists desperately trying to justify McClaren. Optimism is a good thing. On the other hand, the realists amongst us can see nothing but continued failure on the horizon…

• 63 cjtoon // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:54 AM

jay: That would be an incredible signing if they pull it off, I wonder what sort of transfer fee you’d be looking at £15-£20mil?

• 64 cjtoon // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:55 AM

Im not sure there needs or can be any justification for one candidate for HC over another. The proof is in the pudding, We need to make sure we buy the flour this season…

• 65 WestOzMag // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:58 AM

This is a carbon copy of the pardew signing. Shit manager comes in does well the first year ” under fan disharmony “then fails before getting shown the door. Carver then comes in “JUST”keeps us up whilst showing himself to the world how poor of a coach he is and the merry go round starts again. Joke of a club this is. Absolutely disgraceful!

• 66 Jail for Ashley // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:59 AM

If Bamford turns us down he’s just a mercenary who’d rather sit on the bench, look at what a miserable existence in life all those have left us have endured.

• 67 jayphoto // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:59 AM

@CJTOON – hes on a free…. though depending which news outlet you believe he wants a signing on fee of bwtween 3 and £5m.
    Imagine a stoke side lining up with Bojan and Konopkyanka …would have thought that impossible 2 seasons ago. Theyre 100% talking to him aswell!

• 68 WWSBRD // Jun 4, 2015 at 11:01 AM

Pretty sure Bamford will get a loan somewhere probably West Brom where he will feature regularly

Stoke are goinf to pay him 100k/week?

• 69 davetoon // Jun 4, 2015 at 11:02 AM

McClaren may have been a decent manager once but he has been sacked or forced to resign from 4 clubs in the last 5 years including 2 championship sides.
    Also he is a stooge for the Ashley way and this is the reason for the anger.
    Allowing yourself to actually think that he could change.

• 70 cjtoon // Jun 4, 2015 at 11:02 AM

Jay: Oh My, on a free – i’d give him five and get him signed up asap! potentially a ‘signing of the season’ tell me about it – Charlie Adam Peter Crouch Bojan and Konoplyanka what a wonderful world we live in :-p

• 71 jayphoto // Jun 4, 2015 at 11:03 AM

@WWSBRD godknows mate my client only told me they are talking to his representatives…
    Stoke have a fair bit of cash saved up though, they spent very little since Pulis left and their players are all on pretty low wages
    Amazing to think we live in a world where Konoplyanka and Bojan have even heard of Stoke-on-Trent let alone consider moving there

• 72 hibbit // Jun 4, 2015 at 11:05 AM

op my mate works for s gibson at at boro / rockcliff hall so he picks up bits Mc is a regular at the golf course and still has a lot of contact with boro

• 73 WWSBRD // Jun 4, 2015 at 11:07 AM

The draw of the PL I suppose I refuse to accept the current form of Stoke are a draw to anyone in the world haha though tbf Hughes is doing a grand old job there…I do recall he wasnt highly thought of when he went there

But 100k is a heck of a lot for him and I dont see Stoke having enough to make it into top 6. Personally Id prefer if we signed his current right wing team mate

• 74 WWSBRD // Jun 4, 2015 at 11:09 AM

Oh Garmash as well

• 75 Jail for Ashley // Jun 4, 2015 at 11:10 AM

He’s still a mercenary if he turns us down and I think we dodged a bullet anyway.

• 76 jayphoto // Jun 4, 2015 at 11:12 AM

@WWSBRD yeah hughes has really gone under the radar but he’s spent next to nothing and some of the signings have been inspired. The centreback Wollscheid is excellent (despite being slow as a post) Krkic was immense up until injury too and Adam seems inspired…
    Weirdly they play some really attacking attractive football too… typical Hughes team off the ball mind, love a heavy tackle!
    I get free tickets to stoke games about 3-4 times a season through clients so see a bit of them.
    Went to uni there too and actually worked as a football photographer for the local paper in their promotion season. Now that was some of the worst football ive seen…

• 77 jayphoto // Jun 4, 2015 at 11:15 AM

oddly aswell NUFC fans would go bloody mental if the club appointed Hughes i bet..

• 78 Slank // Jun 4, 2015 at 11:17 AM

‘…get that xenophobia and sweeping generalisations in there lad..’

Didn’t the club say they wanted more British ?

And what is wrong with sweeping generalisations as aren’t they what nearly everyone writes on this blog ?

And less of the lad bit. I bet I’m older than you !

• 79 one fine day // Jun 4, 2015 at 11:20 AM

6Rotonda heights
    Been about to pst afew times tonight but have canned it twice as your posts at 6 and 26 pretty much mirror my thoughts so no point in repeating what’s been said.
    Over wheeling feeling is just a complete wasted opportunity to have seen us kick on
    5 days ago I really started to have a good feeling that after all the years of shite we have put up with were going to pay off.
    I was quietly congratulating myself thinking when we are taking teams apart again with swashbuckling football under PV and players at other clubs are issueing non subtle come n get me quotes in the press towards nufc, that when all this was going on I could stand and say unlike the plastics who follow city and chelsea at the moment I had stayed loyal my entire life through every bit of pain.
    What a poor misguided fool .. I never learn .
    So let me get this right. Over the last three years we have played some of the worst football ever witnessed . We don’t even look like being able to defend or score from a set piece ever.
    We have a list of crocks and injuries that can only be described as abysmal and the only change in the staff responsible we are going to make is one forced on us because a manager walked out to a more ambitious club who would double his salary ?
    And we plan on bringing in another to add to the list of low standard English staff … lee Clark? Seriously ?
    I take my hat of to Ed I can nearly pick up the sports page these days as it’s to depressing let alone run a blog devoted to the this shower.

• 80 Toon-Prodigy // Jun 4, 2015 at 11:21 AM

The question is, is he in for a rebuild and a different outlook of ambition or just here to toe the party line with 11-14 purples at his disposal.

Then when injuries and suspensions occur we elevate youth onto the bench. Hmm.

The players we recruit this summer will dictate that.. We need 20 quality football players at this club to compete all year round in every competition. Make the rest up with fringe.

They have tried to promote youth to hide the cracks which stinks to me because it dosn’t take a genius to realise they just arn’t ready. Campbell, Armstrong, Arrons. Kids shouldn’t be a part of where NUFC are at the minute it’s ridiculous, but good on the youngins who have starred, well done. It has been to save on wages and an excuse not to sign top Pro’s and pay the wages they would want, all about filling squad numbers up. Has to be a masterstroke of Lee Charnley I guess, wow.

It nearly seen us relagated. Well, that and the force of the Pardew out on here. Im still waiting on this amazing manager if we get rid of Pardew. Up the league we go 😉

NUFC is bigger than those moves.

• 81 WWSBRD // Jun 4, 2015 at 11:22 AM

Haha I dont know enough about him to have a real opinion mate but I dont think many young players would come to us in order to grow, we dont have a great track record of that

Yeah bit annoying isnt it! I mean its Stoke! But he has changed the way Stoke play without completely ruining what they had which is quite impressive…and am not really against his hard tackling side if am honest which is probably very wrong of me am sure. Haha I think my favorite moment of this season was that Janmatt tackle on Balotelli

And yeah our fans would of been in uproar for the most part Id imagine

• 82 The overrated Frenchman // Jun 4, 2015 at 11:25 AM

Seriously, who in their proper mind would choose a hierarchy of Charnley-Carr-McClaren-Carver to run a Premier League club in 2015? That’s what we’re facing. It’s incomprehensible to me, it really is. And as for transfers, why would any decent player want to sign for this club? You’ll be paid chicken-feed (in the scheme if things) to work for idiots and inevitably suffer the pain of embarrassing defeats and battling relegation. It’s strange to hate the club you love, but’s that’s how I feel….

• 83 Slank // Jun 4, 2015 at 11:25 AM

cjtoon @ 45

That’s really interesting on your take on what attracts players.

I would agree on Salary being the first, League being the second and League Position being third. They almost go hand in hand. Thereafter I would say Likelihood of Winning Anything. When they hang their boots up its only memories, trophies and healthy bank balance that are left. Everything else is incidental in my opinion.

• 84 one fine day // Jun 4, 2015 at 11:26 AM

Many a spelling error there due to auto correct but you get the gyst of what I am saying and I just can’t be arsed to correct it.
    Someone mentioned earlier that Milner is going to Liverpool and we should have been looking to get him back here .
    Well we’d have had a lot more chance of getting him and other top players with vieira here

• 85 jayphoto // Jun 4, 2015 at 11:31 AM

@Slank –
    I’d add city location into that! Right after Salary in fact. Foreign players will nearly always choose London over elsewhere. Closely followed by Manchester. Newcastle draws a short straw when it comes to Geography. It’s why we lost out on Remy to QPR despite offering the same wages and it’s why Sanchez chose Arsenal over Liverpool despite both being in the champions league and liverpool finishing higher the season before. It’s also why Chelsea got hazard over Man Utd

• 86 Mister Tuff // Jun 4, 2015 at 11:40 AM

Day by day there is an increasing drift by bloggers into the Wally Brolly Brigade – trying to justify to themselves that Wally will represent progress.
    Tubbs 1 – 0 Toon Fans.

• 87 The overrated Frenchman // Jun 4, 2015 at 11:43 AM

Milner is a dud. He was useless when he played for us, and he’s never improved much. I’d hate to see him back.The most overrated player of this generation.

• 88 Macas // Jun 4, 2015 at 11:43 AM

jayphoto – Hughes has to be a contender for manager of the season for me, quietly gone about things without any of the attention the likes of Monk has received and had a really good season. Things didn’t work out at QPR but he did a great job at Fulham and Blackburn as well

• 89 Slank // Jun 4, 2015 at 11:48 AM

I totally agree about location especially so for foreigners.

London is the natural big attraction especially for the French. Manchester because of the successful legacy of Fergie and the strong possibility that it will continue under LVG. Liverpool because of its history of success although now fading.

• 90 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 4, 2015 at 11:48 AM

Ok boys and girls, I really don’t want McClaren but… If he comes in we finish 7th in the and win the League Cup is he still deemed a failure?

• 91 Slank // Jun 4, 2015 at 11:50 AM

If we don’t get relegated he will be a success !

• 92 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 4, 2015 at 11:52 AM

Slank is that in Mashers eyes or the fans?

• 93 tequilamag // Jun 4, 2015 at 11:56 AM

Mister Tuff it must be like putting on a comfortable pair of slippers slipping back into slating the manager mode.
    At least with Pardew you made a judgement based on your opinion of went on the pitch poos Shteeve is getting it in the neck before he has even signed and a ball kicked in anger.
    He was not many peoples first choice including me but really what did you expect.
    At least lets get a few tonkings against us before you sharpen the pitchfork.

• 94 barkel // Jun 4, 2015 at 11:59 AM

I 100% disagree – if anything he is one of the more under rated players, I personally find it hard to believe that anyone would think he is over rated!

He will be a top player for Liverpool, will step in to replace Stevie G as captain. He will be one of the signings of the season

• 95 jayphoto // Jun 4, 2015 at 12:02 PM

decent hypothetical, strictly league position, not judged on football style…
    Would we take a replica of Middlesboro’s final league positions during McLarens reign over 5 years (one season of 7th, most around 11th) if it meant winning a cup and a european final??

• 96 Slank // Jun 4, 2015 at 12:02 PM

It maybe both although some will no doubt point out, with utter certainty, that it wouldn’t have happened if Vieira was in charge !

• 97 tequilamag // Jun 4, 2015 at 12:02 PM

Milner is an excellent player. Another who wasted the best years of his career making up the English quota for City.

• 98 Slank // Jun 4, 2015 at 12:08 PM

Jay @ 95

I would certainly take it.

My guess is that many on here have never seen the team with a cup driven around the town in an open bus.

• 99 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 4, 2015 at 12:10 PM

People trying to get us onside?

• 100 Thump // Jun 4, 2015 at 12:16 PM

@Slank: I remember the open top bus parade after we lost in the FA Cup final under Gullit. They were given a heroes welcome, and every single member of the team – Gullit included – looked to be beyond depressed that they were effectively celebrating a loss.

And to jay – you’re fscking right I would!

• 101 Thump // Jun 4, 2015 at 12:17 PM

@jay: Ah, hang on a second mate, in this hypothetical situation (and thanks to TFL’s link up there) would we have to play their cup games? Because Boro played Brighton, and we all know what our record is like against them…

• 102 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 4, 2015 at 12:21 PM

Reserving judgement on clubs true intentions on ambition until players are signed. Reserving final judgement on SM until a few games have actually been played.

Basically, i will not be taking part in any blog meltdowns at this premature stage. For what its worth, I am not exactly extatic about the appointment, but not totally gutted either. I am more annoyed about the fact carvup looks like he will continue. SM already has one hand tied because of this.
    Fkn dinosaur.

• 103 Slank // Jun 4, 2015 at 12:21 PM

Party pooper !

• 104 Graeme // Jun 4, 2015 at 12:21 PM

Brilliant article, I hope they take it all the way!!

• 105 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 4, 2015 at 12:22 PM

• 106 ronaldo aarons // Jun 4, 2015 at 12:24 PM

How is not getting bamford a negative? Yes he is a good young player but he is still unproven in this league and I personally don’t want to develop another team’s player for a year when we have our own players to develop.

• 107 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 4, 2015 at 12:26 PM

Class 😀

• 108 ronaldo aarons // Jun 4, 2015 at 12:29 PM

Don’t know if it was true but the talk yesterday was matip from schalke is available on a free. I think we’d be mad not to go for that, he’s a good player. Big as well and actually uses his height well compared to a certain central defender we have. £5 to whoever can guess who I’m On about… But it’s a tricky one!

• 109 Our Toon // Jun 4, 2015 at 12:29 PM

If Bamford doesn’t come here because of Scteve then that’s excellent news….Bamford is nowhere near what we need or good enough!! It would make sense going for him if we got relegated but that didn’t happen because of the massive performances of Anita and Jonas on the final day!!

• 110 lesh // Jun 4, 2015 at 12:30 PM

Why the frenzy on the matter of McClaren? We don’t know whether he’s coming to SJP or not.

You never know, Rafa or Klopp could be on the way, Ashley having pushed to boat out and paid for an Easy Jet ticket!

• 111 Our Toon // Jun 4, 2015 at 12:32 PM

I’m not happy about Scteve taking over but I will give him time, he’s not my first choice but I actually think he isn’t as bad as everyone is making him out to be!!

• 112 Our Toon // Jun 4, 2015 at 12:33 PM

Rafa was appointed Real boss yesterday ?

• 113 Graeme // Jun 4, 2015 at 12:35 PM

Ronaldo @ 108

But FREE transfers are probably the most expensive thing the club can do — Evidently it is far more expensive than just buying a £5 million pound payer. NUFC have stated this many times – Free Transfers are not in fact “FREE”!! Such is life eh!!!

• 114 Thump // Jun 4, 2015 at 12:36 PM

@lesh: I heard Ashley has sent Carver on holiday on a Malaysia Airlines flight against Penfold’s wishes.

(I know, I know, bad taste)

• 115 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 4, 2015 at 12:41 PM

Graeme oh man that was hilarious, thanks for sharing

• 116 Our Toon // Jun 4, 2015 at 12:41 PM

Just read that a UK minister says we are ready to host the world cup if stripped from Qatar!! Someone needs to shut these people up, we lost the vote albeit a crooked vote, now let the people dealing with this make the decisions rather than sounding desperate everyday and reminding the world we are ready!!

Sour grapes every time I hear this!!

• 117 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 4, 2015 at 12:43 PM

4 more friendlies announced
    Sheffield United

Borrusia Monchengladbach

• 118 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 4, 2015 at 12:44 PM

July 10 Gateshead (a), July 26 Sheff U (a), July 29 York (a), Aug 1 Borussia Monchengladbach (h).

• 119 Mister Tuff // Jun 4, 2015 at 12:46 PM

tequila – if Wally does well I’ll eat humble pie on the blog. I just think if we’d really pushed the boat out we could have done better. But we (the Club) obviously did not want to. I would have hoped for someone who was inspirational à la KK.
    Wally has been on the cards – for months -surrounded by a load of will he won’t he/he’s turned us down waffle in order to give the impression of a worldwide search.

• 120 ronaldo aarons // Jun 4, 2015 at 12:47 PM

Graeme 113
    Only at newcastle under Ashley can we not afford ‘free’ transfers lol!!! I mean we were balance sheet champions, I guess we want to keep it that way.

• 121 Mister Tuff // Jun 4, 2015 at 12:49 PM

tequila – my pitchfork is always at the ready -fully sharpened – often needed to burst a few windbags.

• 122 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 4, 2015 at 12:51 PM

McClaren is “Excited” I’m not

• 123 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 4, 2015 at 12:55 PM

Dick Advocaat is to become permananet Mackems manager

• 124 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 4, 2015 at 12:56 PM

So Sunderland get a real Dutchman, we get a poor fake

• 125 jayphoto // Jun 4, 2015 at 12:58 PM

To be fair Milners on a free transfer and he’s going to cost Liverpool a 5m signing on fee, plus £33m over 4 years in wages plus he has bonuses on that of one off payments depending on success. Bloody crazy that! Hes a good player but £38m outlay on a 29 year old that never posts higher than a 7.5 out of 10 per game….. (granted he never posts lower than a 7 out of 10 either)

• 126 jayphoto // Jun 4, 2015 at 1:01 PM

@Mister Tuff – if Steve Mclaren does well i’m going to be reposting comments and retweeting till the cows come home. Think i’m in the vast minority that rate him and thats based on what I saw at Derby really.
    Saying that, i’m due a win, i was on here 4 years ago championing us to sign a St Ettiene striker i was a huge fan of, at the time I reckoned he could have Thierry Henry like potential…. that man…. Emmanuel Riviere :-/

• 127 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jun 4, 2015 at 1:01 PM

Advocaat to the Mackems we get a phoney dutchman – well there goes six points down the road

• 128 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 4, 2015 at 1:02 PM

• 129 jayphoto // Jun 4, 2015 at 1:05 PM

Think Advocaat’s made a mistake there! Hes an ok manager but he surfed the crest of a new manager wave. I actually watched a few of those games too and I’ve never seen such a lucky team! Especially against Everton. Over a whole season that luck will even out…appointing a 69 year old is hardly looking to the future and he could of left the game a legend. Chances are he’ll smash that legend to pieces next year

• 130 Mister Tuff // Jun 4, 2015 at 1:06 PM

An office in St James Park -December 2015. Things didn’t really work out.

• 131 nut meg // Jun 4, 2015 at 1:23 PM

Well that fixture list will get the hairs on the back of your neck standing up & the pulses racing.

• 132 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 4, 2015 at 1:24 PM

pmsl Nut Meg.

• 133 Malcolm // Jun 4, 2015 at 1:28 PM

I think everyone is getting too negative about McLaren. He gets good press frhjom players, Owen and Defoe. Viera has no track record. How many good players have made good managers. Mclaren has done very well at most clubs.
    Give him a chance. He had a great teacher in Ferguson and was there a good few years.

• 134 Slank // Jun 4, 2015 at 1:30 PM

Jay @ 129

With Sunderland it seems every season is Groundhog Day. Appoint a temporary manager to save them from the drop. The bloke does well and saves them. Appoint him on a permanent contract. The bloke turns out to be rubbish. He gets the sack. The team is now fighting off relegation, appoint a temporary manager. And on it goes.

• 135 bettyswallocks // Jun 4, 2015 at 1:37 PM

Why can’t you reserve judgement , at least until we play a match under him FFS.

The England match you are judging him on was a long time ago and football and hopefully Schteve have evolved since then.

The Dutch are advocates of modern , free flowing, pass and move football which you continually harp on about and he did OK over there with that style.

I’m not saying he’s the best available but he’s not the worst , so at least keep an open mind, see what players come in and give him a chance. Otherwise we are doomed to fail before we start with an attitude like yours.

This is supposed to be our hobby and sport , not an excuse to commit hari kari

• 136 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 4, 2015 at 1:46 PM

Maybe I’m thinking too much but Steve McClaren is from York and suddenly we are playing |York in a friendly

• 137 Uri Gellers Magic Mind // Jun 4, 2015 at 1:46 PM

Ridiculous headline Ed no substance to it whatsoever you aren’t helping the anti McClaren vibes and the guy hasn’t even been hired yet.

• 138 Munster Mag // Jun 4, 2015 at 1:50 PM

Ed I think you need to cop yourself on and lay off Mclaren for now. We all need to give him a fair chance. I can tell u, if i thought Toon fans / geordies were like half the whingeing bunch of tools on this site I would never have supported them all those years ago. Is it any wonder the media call NUFC fans deluded??

• 139 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 4, 2015 at 1:51 PM

Nothing will change will it?

• 140 cyprus // Jun 4, 2015 at 2:06 PM

I still don’t think it will be this guy, unless they agreed with him ages ago. Anyway, I’ve hardly seen any of his recent games (how many Twente Derby games have you watched), so I can’t really judge. Yes, I would prefer a more ‘exotic’ name, but even that is no guarantee.

Gullit promised sexy football. Dalglish ruined a perfectly good CL team. And JFK… (wait a minute, that’s not ‘exotic’).

• 141 Ibizatoon // Jun 4, 2015 at 2:06 PM

Munster…Deluded for not being excited by McLaren? I think the majority accept he isn’t a terrible coach, but he is more of the same under Ashleys NUFC.

That is the issue, rather than McLaren himself.

Again, there would be less bad feeling about the situation if they allowed McLaren to change the backroom staff, but from the sounds of things, that’s not on the cards either.

By simply just going okay, Steve is in, no other changes, Ashley has definitely got away with a reset without actually changing anything.

I agree that McLaren shouldnt be a direct target, but I am also of the thinking that we can’t do nothing as we’re concerned we’d be perceived as being unreasonable towards McLaren.

• 142 BandB // Jun 4, 2015 at 2:08 PM

I think he needs to be given a fair chance too if he gets the job.
    Not that that means turning ourselves inside out to find ways to excuse mistakes and bad habits he may have no matter what.
    Carver seemed to have the same attitudes towards the same players Pardew had, and at least McClaren brings a fresh pair of eyes to the current squad.
    While the club may not listen unduly to who the manager wants to bring in, it has always seemed happy to dispense with players who fell foul of the old managerial regime.
    I’ll accept him and give him a chance. But not on the basis of having to swallow that he is a top choice. Because he isn’t.

• 143 cyprus // Jun 4, 2015 at 2:14 PM

I sense a lot of gloom before anything has even happened and a bunch of ‘I told you so’ triggers waiting to be pulled. Twitchy, and I get it, but dare to hope.

A decent start and we’ll all be gloating again and the club will be ‘ours’ again. TBH, don’t remember it ever being ours. If you do you must be a hundred.

It’s a results game, simples.

Relax. CL football awaits. Next year. Or maybe the one after. Or…

• 144 Ibizatoon // Jun 4, 2015 at 2:17 PM

Cyprus…All due respect, that might work for you, but clearly it doesn’t for others.

The feeling of connection to the club isn’t about results for me.

• 145 bettyswallocks // Jun 4, 2015 at 2:20 PM

I can’t agree that Mc Claren is Pardew mark 2. He has a much more diverse experience level, has proved that he can work with a small budget , did well at Man U with talented players and appears to be well respected within the game, particularly by former players.

I’m not saying he’s the new messiah, but his tenure will hinge on what tools he’s going to be given to do the job.

• 146 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 4, 2015 at 2:20 PM

Ibiza I agree with you

• 147 cyprus // Jun 4, 2015 at 2:22 PM

We’ve both been on this blog for more than most here so you know I respect other opinions, of course. That was mine.
    Let’s see how we both feel if we win the next ten 🙂

• 148 Ibizatoon // Jun 4, 2015 at 2:26 PM

TFL…That’s dangerous 🙂

Cyprus…It read a little bit more like instructions rather than an opinion, but nothing we’ll fall out over 🙂

• 149 bettyswallocks // Jun 4, 2015 at 2:26 PM

Negativity attracts negativity. People expecting and even hoping that Mc Claren fails will provide an awful tension at the match which will transmit to the team.

What sense is there in promoting failure. No wonder the job is considered a poisoned chalice.

• 150 Average_Contents // Jun 4, 2015 at 2:29 PM

Da da daaa – The award for most sensible post of the day goes to….

Well said. That’s my worry anyway. Sidestep not forward.

• 151 Ibizatoon // Jun 4, 2015 at 2:31 PM

betty…Who has hoped for McLaren to fail?

“What sense is there in promoting failure” – Not sure – Good question for Ashley mind.

• 152 Ibizatoon // Jun 4, 2015 at 2:31 PM

Sensible? That can’t be right.

You been drinking again AC?

previous post: John Carver To Act As Adviser To McClaren