The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Steve McClaren Changes His Mind On Newcastle

5:42 pm, Thursday, June 4th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 27 Comments

There’s news in the Northern Echo today that Steve McClaren has told Newcastle United that in fact he would like to take over the head coach at Newcastle United this summer, and that comes after he has twice said this year that he had no interest in joining Newcastle, although to be fair to Steve, that’s when he was still the Derby County manager, but last week he was fired by Derby and is now out of contract and away on vacation out of the country.

steve mcClaren

Steve McClaren – while at Derby County

This is what Steve had said in early January in the Telegraph as he was being linked with the Newcastle job:

“Sam Rush (Derby Chairman) spoke to me about three times last week and I said to him then, “look, don’t worry, I am going nowhere”. “I have got a job to do here. I don’t want to let people down here. You’ve got to show loyalty.”

“Derby have given me a great opportunity. They have backed me and Sam and the owners have been fantastic.” “We have asked players to commit to long contracts to take Derby forward, and the staff as well.”

“We are building here and I want to see the job through.” “I love it here. I don’t want to let people down and there is no question of that, despite all the rumors.” “These things are going to crop up with players and with staff, and it can’t derail us.”

“Our objective is to push for the Premier League and we feel we are in a good position to do that.” “I don’t want to let people down on that. The supporters have been fantastic with me from day one.”

“There is nothing in my mind that says I am going anywhere.”

Then on 5th May after, we had lost our 8th game in a row and were literally outclassed by Leicester City and beaten 3-0 although it could have been 10-0 – Newcastle made another attempt to get Steve to come in – after Derby County had missed out on the play-offs and finished 8th in Championship that same weekend.

Again Steve refused to come in – and that’s when we really needed him with just three games to play and John Carver was simply way over his head as the interim head coach.

But Steve was only abiding by his contract and did his very best to still get Derby promoted, and if he had done that we doubt he would have taken the Newcastle job.

But life moves on and McClaren is now keen to take up the challenge – and it’s going to be huge challenge for the former Middlesbrough manager, with Newcastle fighting relegation in two of the last three seasons.

Tags: Coaching · Head coach · Management · Newcastle News · Premier League

27 responses so far ↓

• 1 Mint // Jun 4, 2015 at 5:44 PM

I did predict this, did I not?

• 2 Ibizatoon // Jun 4, 2015 at 5:44 PM

Ed…That was nasty.

Shouldn’t this article have come out days ago? 🙂

• 3 Belfast // Jun 4, 2015 at 5:46 PM

Misleading headline Edward 🙂

• 4 Wayayman // Jun 4, 2015 at 5:46 PM

I think it’s a good time to remind everyone why Carve, Charnley and Carr are in a powerful position, and that;’s simply because the owner doesnt have a scooby how to run a football club. Or maybe he does but he just doesnt care. Either way, I’m hardly holding my breath for Ashley to come through on (what some of us have taken as) his promised change of heart. Not sure it was a change or heart rather a change of tack aimed purely at confusing us fans and making us think that things are going to change. Sadly, it looks like it was all a ploy to divide us again, as they were clearly bricking it before the WHU game with the unrest.

I look forward to and their next step, once we’ve appointed a mediocre manager and signed untried players. Hopefully we can get quickly back on track with at least trying to make a difference to the club.

• 5 Mint // Jun 4, 2015 at 5:49 PM

This is actually the conversation that TOOK place on Monday:

Steve “Ok, I’ll take the job then”
    Chernley: “Glad we can see eye to eye on that then. Welcome aboard!”

Well, its more or less that, isnt it?

• 6 Belfast // Jun 4, 2015 at 5:51 PM

Long d!ck style ? Sounds nasty. 🙂

• 7 WWSBRD // Jun 4, 2015 at 5:52 PM

No manager in the world was going to take over when we asked him second time round. There was nothing for them to gain from that decision

Imo I think he agreed to join us this summer when we first talked to him about it after Pardew left regardless of where Derby were playing he just wanted the chance to finish what he started there which we were happy to offer because we were pretty much safe and either way it meant less compensation for us

• 8 Mint // Jun 4, 2015 at 5:52 PM

Well, Charnley is a massive knob is he not? His inaction in January is proof.

• 9 WWSBRD // Jun 4, 2015 at 5:54 PM

In other news of Cabaye goes to Palace I may tear up…I mean really actual tears!

• 10 Belfast // Jun 4, 2015 at 5:55 PM

Completely agree wwsbrdxyz.

• 11 Ibizatoon // Jun 4, 2015 at 5:58 PM

Don’t buy Cabaye, Yohan Cabaye, I just don’t think you understand, that if you buy Cabaye, Yohan Cabaye, WWSBRD will be crying in his hands!

Am I right in recalling that Cabaye was one of the players supposedly unhappy with Pardews footballing philosophy?

• 12 Belfast // Jun 4, 2015 at 5:59 PM

Couldn’t see Palace matching his wage demands to be honest. Euros next summer though so he may be willing to take a pay cut.

• 13 Pokat // Jun 4, 2015 at 5:59 PM

Ooooooooh Tedster! You build us up only to throw us crashing down ha ha. You little scallywag.

In other news McLaren is still sorting out his desk tidy and stationary, and our Sun continues to edge towards it’s inevitable self destruction.

• 14 lesh // Jun 4, 2015 at 6:00 PM

Rejoice, rejoice.

There’ll be dancing in the streets of Newcastle when he’s confirmed.

Hail the new messiah and let’s hope he can find something useful for Carver to do!

The pre-season looks like a good warm up but as they are intended to bed-in incoming transfers but in our case, first get some quality players in.

Rather than phart-arse about until the last day of the window, sell a few of our top players and tarrraaaah, fail to get replacements over the line. It’s all up to Charnley to follow Ashley’s instructions and spend whatever to get the top players we need into the squad – after all, he does want to win something… errr, when though is open to question.

• 15 Pokat // Jun 4, 2015 at 6:01 PM

Ibizatoon, I think there was a longer queue for that than the Platinum bar at half time.

• 16 WWSBRD // Jun 4, 2015 at 6:02 PM

Apparently so hated Pardew didn’t he…

• 17 WWSBRD // Jun 4, 2015 at 6:02 PM

Also thanks for the song haha

• 18 Belfast // Jun 4, 2015 at 6:05 PM

Yeah somebody had inside info that Cabaye hated Pardew.
    I remember that haha

• 19 WWSBRD // Jun 4, 2015 at 6:13 PM

Yup mate I recall, didnt Pardew push Cabaye out?

• 20 nufconceandfuturekings // Jun 4, 2015 at 6:16 PM

On the McLaren pending announcement, I’m depressed.
    On the strawberries announcement, they’re now in season thus I’m happy.
    Got to take the positives where one can!

• 21 Ibizatoon // Jun 4, 2015 at 6:18 PM

Yo…Thought you’d like it 🙂

Sure I remember him being one of the players who couldn’t stand him.

Mind, here we are speculating on Palace speculation!

• 22 Lynny // Jun 4, 2015 at 6:21 PM

The way I look at it it’s like this – Pardew had to go. Give it a season or so and Palace will crumble. Cabaye was great when We sold him But for the reset of his time with us he was average verging on dog shite! Dirty player very lucky not to hace seen red on lots of occassions. Yes Carver was is and always be a joke, But I dont blame hin dir taking his opportunity. Now under Ashley and the specky one were never going to get a world class manager are we? I hate the thougut of Championssssssh league Steve being at the helm, but look at it this way – he’s 100 times better and more experienced than Carver so if he comes in lets judge him when we see what he can do and let’s get behind him too. He got the best out of tiote and won the Dutch league and managed England. The last person to win the Dutch league and manage England and the Toon was Sir Bobby 🙂 He understands us as fans and knows what we want to see. He can play good football and can see games out for narrow wins. As I say Hes not My first choice But it it happens let’s get behind the team and not pre-judge

• 23 mactoon // Jun 4, 2015 at 6:51 PM

Considering McClaren for the head coach role is an absolute joke given that he couldn’t get a Championship team into a play off position getting just 2 wins in the last 13 games (against the two teams eventually relegated) similar form as Carver but in a division lower. That’s reassuring!

As usual it’s the easy, safer option showing no ambition. Doesn’t look like much has canged to me. Do you remember your statement that a Champions League position was an aim Ashley? If Charnley thinks McClaren will achieve this you need to step in and stop his selection process NOW as it’s not fit for purpose, and neither is he.

Did they actually even talk to Vieira to get his views or not? if not, why not!!! Surely a promising individual such as him should have been given the chance to set his stall out to enable them to make a decision.

If there is only one candidate who has a worse record than Carver, that doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence that anything has changed and the decision process managed by Charnley is intrinsically flawed.

What happened to the 80 candidates?

• 24 Keith in France // Jun 4, 2015 at 8:58 PM

What a terrible headline – no need for this .
    What is Rd thinking of?

• 25 lochinvar // Jun 4, 2015 at 10:00 PM

Steve McClaren Changes His Mind On Newcastle

Well 98% of the fans on this blog voted they didn’t want McLaren.
    Well we’ve changed our minds as well – now we really really really don’t want McLaren either
    And for that matter Carver , Stone , Chanley or Ashley.

It’s like FIFA and Blatter – they live in their own bubble, just a pity someone can’t burst it.

• 26 Sav // Jun 5, 2015 at 2:44 AM

’80 candidates’…’Mmwahahahaaaa!
    ‘Football Board’….Mmwahahahaaaa!
    Carr is the only football contact Mashley has left. No wonder we have a scout calling all the shots. Naturally, Carr didn’t select a manager who was going to insist on a final say over transfers. – Turkeys/Christmas. Its nall so predictable and unexciting.

• 27 stretchintoon // Jun 5, 2015 at 1:40 PM

damn theres me thinking when i red the post,great he doesn want to come to us!

previous post: Newcastle’s Pre-Season Fixtures – Early Morning Viewing