The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Shearer Decides Where He Wants His Statue – Plus Goals Video

5:10 pm, Friday, June 5th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 69 Comments

It should take about another six months until Newcastle legend  Alan Shearer’s statue is ready and will be placed somewhere at St. James’ Park, and Alan has today said where he’d like to have it placed.

alan shearer scores

Alan Shearer – he just scored another one

Then the question is where it should be located in the ground – and this is what Alan Shearer has said in the Chronicle today and refers to a poll done about the location of the statue:

“I saw the article asking people’s views and put it out on Twitter myself to ask people what they thought,” he told The Chronicle. “I think the vast majority said put it behind the Gallowgate end, which seems to be a popular spot.”

“I’ll have to speak to the necessary guys who are going to make the decision but I think if I had my choice it would be behind the Gallowgate for sure.”

Shepherd Offshore, the company owned by Freddy Shepherd and his brother Bruce are underwriting the cost of the project and Freddy has said:

“Shepherd Offshore are happy to underwrite this project, which is long overdue. We are happy to pay for it to honour a fantastic sportsman.”

Alan Shearer was just a fabulous footballer and if you ever want to feel good just look at some of the goals he scored for Newcastle – he was really a true hero on Tyneside and delivered goals over the ten years he was at Newcastle – a record 206 goals in 404 appearances for his home town club.

Local artist Tom Maley is creating the 9 ft tall bronze statue and expects to be able to complete the statue before the end of the year.

This is what Tom told the Chronicle:

“It’s not far from being completed. Once all the pieces are produced they will be shipped back and then I’ll complete the structural support stage.

“That work will probably be done in Ashington or Cramlington and that’s when Freddy Shepherd will look at it to make sure he’s happy with it.”

This statue is long overdue and it will be great once it’s unveiled – hopefully before the end of the year.

Here are six of the best from Alan – and we guarantee you’ll feel a lot better after watching this.

What a player!

Tags: Alan Shearer · Newcastle News · Premier League · St. James' Park · Video

69 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bambams // Jun 5, 2015 at 5:14 PM

Put it on the pitch static in front of the Gallowgate. …On average chances his statue will score before Willo from a free kick

• 2 Ibizatoon // Jun 5, 2015 at 5:15 PM

Just stumbled across this:

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

– Carl Sagan

• 3 barkel // Jun 5, 2015 at 5:15 PM

He wants it at Gallowgate, the fans want it at Gallowgate .. I reckon that’s nailed on not to go at the Gallowgate so.

• 4 Ibizatoon // Jun 5, 2015 at 5:15 PM

As for the statute…I can think of somewhere to stuff it. No reflection on Shearer mind.

• 5 jimmynotcricket // Jun 5, 2015 at 5:15 PM

Be nice if he was occasionally supportive of the club rather than referring to “them”. I realise he has to be neutral on MOTD but Lineker manages it…

• 6 midweek weekend // Jun 5, 2015 at 5:17 PM

Haha bambams, I think the diagonal ball to willo has to be the worst tactic of all time I mean it’s never worked after hundreds of attempts

• 7 Small World // Jun 5, 2015 at 5:17 PM

Where it comes to statues, I always think it great that one of the All time Newcastle greats is immortalised outside of the SOL. Cut him in two and find black and white running through and through – Mr Bob Stokoe.

• 8 lochinvar // Jun 5, 2015 at 5:18 PM

Bambams at 1

Spot on – you beat me to it.
    In fact on the Penalty spot to deflect in headers as well.
    Suggest its on castors so Justin can wheel it to the Leazes end for the second half !

Carver can come in and polish it each day.
    ” wash on, wash off”

• 9 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 5, 2015 at 5:20 PM

Moussa Sissoko- ” I don’t know anything about Steve McClaren but I’m happy for him

• 10 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 5, 2015 at 5:22 PM

From twitter:
    Newcastle have told Yoan Gouffran & Gabriel Obertan they have no future at the club

• 11 Belfast // Jun 5, 2015 at 5:25 PM

He has to remain neutral on match of the day, but I’ve noticed he usually refers to us as we in his newspaper column.

I think it’s a joke it took this long to get a statue up to be honest.

• 12 Graeme // Jun 5, 2015 at 5:34 PM

Its only being completed because Freddie Shepherd has paid for it – it has nothing to do with the club.

It would be nice if Ashley gave permission for it to be erected at the ground though!!

• 13 BandB // Jun 5, 2015 at 5:37 PM

Ibizatoon,

You seem to wonder where all this rash of suggestible people has come from.

I found this in my son’s research into brine shrimp, commercially marketed to children as a novelty known as Sea Monkeys.

“Cryptobiosis is an ametabolic state of life entered by an organism in response to adverse environmental conditions such as desiccation, freezing, and exposure to Mike Ashley and apex blog predators like Jeff from Benwell, who can be sh*t scary to small and comparatively brainless organisms.
    “In the cryptobiotic state, all metabolic processes stop, preventing reproduction, development, and repair. An organism in a cryptobiotic state can essentially live indefinitely until environmental conditions return to being hospitable.
    “When this occurs, the organism will return to its metabolic state of life as it was prior to the cryptobiosis.”

• 14 Mint // Jun 5, 2015 at 5:48 PM

This was the actual conversation that took place between Freddy Sheperd and Mike Ashley to approve this statue:

MA: “So, this statue of me- I mean Shearer, im not sure about its location you want”
    Shepherd: “MY NAME’S TYRONE, AND FCUK THIS PLANNING PERMISSION BULL SH!T. IM HERE TO FCUK YOUR WONGA BILLBOARD, LONG D!CK STYLE”
    MA: “You make a good case there, but the gallowgate is perfect advertising real estate”
    Shepherd: “FCUK DAT SH!T”
    MA: “Ok, lets do it then.”
    Sheperd: “Thanks Mike, its a great reflection of your ambitions to highlight such a ledgend of the club and embrace the heritage.”

Well, we all assume it went like that, one way or another.

• 15 lesh // Jun 5, 2015 at 5:49 PM

BandB

Is Cryptobiosis the state that Ashley’s guided the Club into?

Sounds a bit like Chronic Inertia!

• 16 Ibizatoon // Jun 5, 2015 at 5:53 PM

Graeme…I’m sure he’d go for it if the statue was kitted out with SD goods.

BandB…Intriguing. What’s required then, more water or a dehumidifier?

• 17 BandB // Jun 5, 2015 at 5:57 PM

Liquid can be provided by p*ssing on these tiny creatures from a great height.
    They love it.
    “Just add water and watch them swim!” as the old ads used to say.

• 18 Graeme // Jun 5, 2015 at 6:02 PM

Ibiza, I would be happier if it was an effigy of our Illustrious Owner which could then be dressed in his advertising rags – and suspended from the Gallowgate gantries!!!!

• 19 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 5, 2015 at 6:07 PM

Tom Cleverly has signed for Everton

• 20 lochinvar // Jun 5, 2015 at 6:11 PM

Ashley accepts Shearer statute has to go somewhere

• 21 Average_Contents // Jun 5, 2015 at 6:16 PM

How about the game nearest Halloween at home the attendees don mike Ashley masks to tell the world he’s the bad guy/bogeyman/complete and utter twat.

Scratch that, everyone would be kicking ten bells of shit out of each other.

Attendee one: are you mike?

Attendee two: no fcukoff, you are!

Attendee three: Ashley? Where?

Attendee two: your Ashley!

Attendee three: get to fcuk knobjockey

Attendee one: right that’s it I’m gonna smash you both.

Attendee two: wait, what? There’s thousands of Ashleys.

Attendee three: your all Fcuking getting it.

Cue mass brawl.

The real Ashleys in his bunker getting a pokey bum w@nk off penfold laughing his tits off.

The end

• 22 the white tino // Jun 5, 2015 at 6:19 PM

Just thinking if we could do summat similar to mackems but rather than flowers for carver and missus one way tickets to Australia HWTF GET THE SLUG OOT

• 23 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 5, 2015 at 6:22 PM

3 players listed

• 24 Ibizatoon // Jun 5, 2015 at 6:27 PM

BandB…Fun for all the family.

Graeme…Personally I still favour having the statue shoved up a certain genius’ backside. But maybe that’s just me 🙂

AC…How’s life on the rail?

• 25 Ibizatoon // Jun 5, 2015 at 6:29 PM

Lochinvar…A bit like that, but the other way around for me.

• 26 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 5, 2015 at 6:40 PM

• 27 Average_Contents // Jun 5, 2015 at 6:46 PM

Ibiza

Jobless at the moment lol.

There’s a delay because a bridge had structural damage over the section of rail we’re meant to be working on.

I reckon that Welsh spunkbubble no mark sabotaged it 😉

How’s tricks with yourself?

• 28 GeordieTwo // Jun 5, 2015 at 6:48 PM

You’re a good man Ibizatoon. May you live long and prosper mate.

• 29 GeordieTwo // Jun 5, 2015 at 6:53 PM

Also I’m receiving a lot of inquiries about Manly Men Inc’s most recent fabulous product. Nose hair implants. They’re all the rage over here. Bushy nose hair gives one a sense of power and rugged manliness. I’m sending you some free samples Ibiza mate. Wear them to the beach. They filter out sand fleas beautifully.

• 30 welshgeordie9 // Jun 5, 2015 at 6:54 PM

Now now average there’s no need to be rude i mean that’s not a nice thing to say about jail.

Ha ha ha

• 31 jimiley // Jun 5, 2015 at 6:55 PM

I wonder how the season tickets are doing? Mr Brollyman, ably supported by Carver and overseen by Penfold and the fat controller. You could not make it up. And they are going to win something when Mike splashes the cash on some kids and unknown Frenchmen and Spaniards. Must go as I am off to get my season ticket………. ha ha ha

• 32 GeordieTwo // Jun 5, 2015 at 6:56 PM

Transfer listing Gabby, Gouffy, and Mehdi? What about the other dwarfs: Rancid, Grotty, and Pimples? Who would actually pay to get Gabby? Let’s get serious Lee. Harrumph!

• 33 Ibizatoon // Jun 5, 2015 at 6:58 PM

AC…That sucks. Busy over here, tis the season and all.

G2…Thanks, but where did that come from? 🙂

• 34 Laurent Robert 32 // Jun 5, 2015 at 6:58 PM

The sheer volume of players who now need replacing in an already wafer thin squad is nothing short of ridiculous. Yet, the abysmal coaching staff remain.

One desperate TV interview from a gluttonous owner and the gullible rise like zombies out of the ground to follow his propaganda fuelled lead.

Ashley out… And stay out.

• 35 GeordieTwo // Jun 5, 2015 at 6:59 PM

Release Gabby immediately! Set him free! There are many Eastern European nations who don’t know about him. He could go on some one day tryouts. Also the Uzbeks are desperate for pacy wingers who can’t cross the ball.

• 36 BandB // Jun 5, 2015 at 6:59 PM

G2@28

I have shared well over 1000 emails with Ibiza-whatisname over the past three or four months.
    I have tried to tell him that 1000 times, but it always comes out wrong 🙂
    Thank you for telling him for me.

• 37 Ibizatoon // Jun 5, 2015 at 7:00 PM

Jimiley…You best run before they’re all gone 😯

G2…Again, thank you. This isn’t to do with my talking of cancelling my DD is it? Next you’ll be giving an interview on Sky Sports 😉

• 38 GeordieTwo // Jun 5, 2015 at 7:00 PM

The nose hair implants are a proprietary secret Ibiza mate (just between you and me I get a tremendous deal on camel hair from a mate in Egypt).

• 39 GeordieTwo // Jun 5, 2015 at 7:03 PM

You’re welcome BandB mate. He’s a good lad isn’t he? Did everyone else thank him for all the work he did with the protests? As for you other scroty lot don’t expect any compliments! Harrumph.

• 40 GeordieTwo // Jun 5, 2015 at 7:07 PM

As for Gabby do you lot realize this man has already scored 2 goals for us in only 53 appearances? He’s a better scorer than Riviere! (So far). Now, with this kind of goal production are we worried about scoring next season? Absolutely not.

• 41 GeordieTwo // Jun 5, 2015 at 7:09 PM

No refunds due to allergies to camel hair btw.

• 42 Ibizatoon // Jun 5, 2015 at 7:11 PM

BandB & G2…Come on now, no need to be sarcastic.

G2…I can not accept that and must pass my thanks to BandB and Senor Tuff who both were tremendous.

So were the fans too mind.

Screw it, let’s have a HWTF!

• 43 GeordieTwo // Jun 5, 2015 at 7:13 PM

Just for interest’s sake why on earth are we playing York City in the pre-season? Is that so we aren’t embarrassed? What happens if they beat us handily? Aren’t they a division 2 club?

• 44 GeordieTwo // Jun 5, 2015 at 7:13 PM

Arrghhhh Ibiza mate! HWTF!!!! Huzzah!!!!!

• 45 RooneyToons // Jun 5, 2015 at 7:14 PM

Aarons has scored for England U20s in the Toulon tournament live on BT

• 46 BandB // Jun 5, 2015 at 7:14 PM

HWTF (“Who were those F**ckers?”)

• 47 GeordieTwo // Jun 5, 2015 at 7:14 PM

And a round of applause for BandB and Mr. Tuff as well!

• 48 BandB // Jun 5, 2015 at 7:16 PM

bettyswallocks was a big fan………

• 49 Ibizatoon // Jun 5, 2015 at 7:17 PM

G2…York are a highly ambitous club mate. As I understand it their owner wants to win things too.

Some have dubbed this fixture as the battle of ambition.

The CL final won’t even come close to York vs Newcastle. I have the date in my calendar.

What was the date again?

• 50 GeordieTwo // Jun 5, 2015 at 7:18 PM

But seriously mates what kind of poor pre-season schedule is that? Only ‘Gladbach are worth playing at all. Absolutely diabolical. And we’re not even playing the Portland Timbers A side. It’s there B squad we’ll be playing.

• 51 welshgeordie9 // Jun 5, 2015 at 7:19 PM

Three cheers

Hip hip hooray
    Hip hip hooray
    Hip hip hooray

• 52 GeordieTwo // Jun 5, 2015 at 7:21 PM

I didn’t even know Portland had a B squad. In fact I don’t think they do. Possibly some juniors mixed with cleaning staff. They should give us a good game. 😯

• 53 GeordieTwo // Jun 5, 2015 at 7:22 PM

If we beat York would that be considered winning something Ibiza mate? And would that mean Ashley can leave us?

• 54 Ibizatoon // Jun 5, 2015 at 7:22 PM

BandB…I would have thought that it was possible to have kept being a fan of fans as well as waiting to see how the summer worked out as far as the club are concerned.

It would seem that’s not the case. Still, we’ll all know more soon enough, well, Newcastle Utd soon anyway.

• 55 Ibizatoon // Jun 5, 2015 at 7:25 PM

G2…I’m afraid not. As I understand it, it’s metal or a CL spot that is considered winning something.

Until that happens Mike isn’t interested in going. Throw whatever money you want at him – he’s going nowhere. Honest, offer him £1b and he still wont shift. That’s how much he wants to win something.

What an exciting adventure we’re embarking on. It’s not going to be anything like the last one. No sir, that was a cart building adventure, now we’re on to horses. I’m all giddy with excitement…

• 56 BandB // Jun 5, 2015 at 7:28 PM

Ibiza,

He wasn’t a fan of mine last year. In fact he was quite rude. So I never quite knew where to put him when he turned up claiming to be a revolutionary. Quite embarrassing, really.
    He’ll be back when it puts him on the winning side again:)

• 57 GeordieTwo // Jun 5, 2015 at 7:32 PM

It turns out several other big clubs would love to play us in the pre-season. Here is a letter from the Framlingham Falcons:
    Dear Lee Charnley
    We of the Framlingham Falcons feel we can offer you a tremendous game of footy to sharpen all the tools in your shed. We have a full sized pitch and can expect a sellout crowd of about 212 to watch this mighty contest. Please RRSP soon as we have many other clubs wanting to play us.
    Sincerely
    Sid (Vicious) Gork
    Captain, Framlingham Falcons.

• 58 GeordieTwo // Jun 5, 2015 at 7:36 PM

Of course that’s the club that really stands out in the list. Some of the others are just too small and don’t seem worth considering for a 15th place club. I see Bootham Crescent holds over 7,800 by the way!!!

• 59 GeordieTwo // Jun 5, 2015 at 7:38 PM

The last time I visited York was as a lad and we went to the zoo. The tiger peed on me. Very disconcerting. Probably knew I was a Geordie. Harrumph.

• 60 optimistic prime // Jun 5, 2015 at 7:39 PM

I’d like to see the statue shoved up Ashley’s

• 61 Ibizatoon // Jun 5, 2015 at 7:42 PM

BandB…Honestly, it perhaps shouldn’t, but it makes me more angry at Ashley.

It was the tipping point for me in the first place. The treatment of fans and the divide I believe he has caused.

The hold this club has on its fans should be something amazing. It’s being abused and I hate it.

• 62 Ibizatoon // Jun 5, 2015 at 7:45 PM

OP…That has 2 votes now. Should this be taken to a poll? 🙂

G2…I have to ask. Who started it, the tiger, or you?

• 63 GeordieTwo // Jun 5, 2015 at 7:47 PM

Those rumours of me peeing on the tiger first are a complete fabrication Ibiza mate. He had it in for me right from the start. Possibly I remember seeing beermonkey moving away from the cage quickly and wondering what that was all about however. Hmmmm.

• 64 Ibizatoon // Jun 5, 2015 at 7:52 PM

G2…Beermonkey after a beer or two…who knows.

Did he walk away singing:

“It’s in the, eye of the tiger”

• 65 Lindisfarne // Jun 5, 2015 at 8:25 PM

Moussa Sissoko pensive about future

Speaking to L’Équipe, Newcastle United’s French international Moussa Sissoko admitted that he was thinking about his future.

He had the following to say:

On Steve McClaren: “I don’t know who this manager is. I am happy for him.”

On his future: “For my future, I am thinking it over. The coach, Didier Deschamps, has said that the 2015-16 season will be very important, that I will need game time, to play regularly. I have that opportunity at Newcastle. Now, I will first try to finish this season well with France, then I will think it over with my uncle, who is also my agent, we will take the right decision after the holidays, which I am in need of.”

• 66 Lindisfarne // Jun 5, 2015 at 8:37 PM

Talking of erections, has the new training facility begun construction?

• 67 Mag52 // Jun 5, 2015 at 8:38 PM

Geordie Two,

What is it about tigers? We took our daughter to a circus some years ago and a tiger peed all over her.

• 68 scout // Jun 5, 2015 at 8:56 PM

A.S YOU ARE THE GREATEST STRIKER I EVER WITNESSED IN REAL LIFE. I will never forget the games, the feeling when that Champions league flag was shaken and the tune was played. I wish i could take Mike Ashley there and maybe he could understand

• 69 Jail for Ashley // Jun 5, 2015 at 9:18 PM

I’d like to be contributing more to the blog lately but I really am lost for words.

previous post: We May Not Have A Good Team But This Is Great At Newcastle