The Newcastle United Blog

News and Commentary On Newcastle United By Ed Harrison, A Proud Exiled Geordie And Lifelong Fan

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!



Newcastle Have Already Missed Out On Three Targets

1:34 pm, Monday, June 8th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 33 Comments

It was never realistic that we had any chance of getting Danny Ings to Newcastle this summer once Liverpool and Tottenham went after him in earnest – the only chance we had was that he would get regular games at Newcastle whereas at Tottenham or Liverpool he may not.

That came after he said he didn’t want to join a club where he would be on the bench a lot – much like what happened to Loic Remy at Chelsea this season.

danny ings

Danny Ings – agreed terms with Liverpool

But with the news that Liverpool have agreed terms with the 22 year-old Burnley striker and he has to now undergo a medical – that’s one good target that we’ve missed out on.

And we’ve also said to have withdrawn from the race for 25 year-old Ghanaian International forward Andre Ayew – who was another target we had significant competition for, with around ten clubs already having made an offer to the player who will become a free agent at the end of this month.

The problem we had with Andre is that we couldn’t offer him European football,  and some of the other clubs making him an offer included Inter-Milan, Roma, Napoli, Borussia Dortmund, Wolfsburg and others.

And it seems we are no longer interested in 20 year-old Serbian striker Aleksandar Mitrovic who plays at Anderlecht in the Belgian League.

There were reports that we were supposed to have agreed a £15M fee for the youngster, but Anderlecht announced recently he was not available for transfer.

And that was about the same time there were reports in the local papers that he was no longer a Newcastle target because of his character issues.

So there are three targets – no doubt the ones who impressed John Carver when he leaked the news we were going after some top players.

But we may have very little chance of signing some of these targets given the other bigger clubs interested.

We do have a good chance to sign 25 year-old Charlie Austin and 21 year-old Patrick Bamford,  but the transfer fees that have been placed on them by their clubs are £15M and £10M respectively.

If Newcastle balk at these prices, which seems to be the case, then there are multiple ways we will be able to miss out on our targets for the summer.

Some boldness is what we need to see from Newcastle this summer in the transfer market, but we haven’t seen any of that for some time.

Now’s the time to change all that.

Comments welcome.



Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target




33 responses so far ↓

  • 1 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 8, 2015 at 1:36 PM

    Agreed Ed or we are gonna fall flat on our faces AGAIN

  • 2 barkel // Jun 8, 2015 at 1:38 PM

    Alleged transfer targets and never any quotes from a credible source

  • 3 Toon Tang // Jun 8, 2015 at 1:41 PM

    Ah, these targets are all small fries anyways, we’re building up to a big name marquee signing coming in. Prepare yourselves people..

  • 4 welshgeordie9 // Jun 8, 2015 at 1:44 PM

    I reckon we should go for Mario Balotelli, his 30 goals last season for liverpool was awesome.

  • 5 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 8, 2015 at 1:45 PM

    PMSL Welsh

  • 6 Zero // Jun 8, 2015 at 1:45 PM

    Isnt this because they are not realistic transfers for us.. well given our history in the market plus the obvious… no manager

  • 7 welshgeordie9 // Jun 8, 2015 at 1:45 PM

    Peter Crouch anyone.

  • 8 jimmysmith // Jun 8, 2015 at 1:46 PM

    I’ll make that bet with you BandB. Everything I own against yours. My real name is Alexander Stuart Diball. What’s yours?

  • 9 lesh // Jun 8, 2015 at 1:46 PM

    Charnley continues where he left off – twiddling his thumbs while prioritising what he can make a balls of next!

    Get rid and let him take his friend Carver with him!

  • 10 sickandtired // Jun 8, 2015 at 1:46 PM

    And prey tell why, Dr Ed, you thin we would have a chance at Bamford?
    The lad has already left McClaren once and had a dig at him in the press for playing him out of position!

  • 11 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 8, 2015 at 1:47 PM

    Naughty Naughty Welshie

  • 12 BandB // Jun 8, 2015 at 1:49 PM

    Beatrice Wilson-Pickett.
    You’re On!

  • 13 Lindisfarne // Jun 8, 2015 at 1:49 PM

    http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-lagging-behind-global-9402061

    I honestly can not see the point of trying to push the NUFC brand abroad when the club have little regard for the customer base at home. I might be wrong but IMO the retail owner has alienated more and more of the local supporters and treats us as irrelevant. In the current situation what will attract new fans from other continents?

  • 14 welshgeordie9 // Jun 8, 2015 at 1:52 PM

    I try my best ToonFromLeeds.

  • 15 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 8, 2015 at 1:52 PM

    Toon Fans have their say
    https://nufcdigest.wordpress.com/2015/06/08/steve-mcclaren-to-newcastle-united-fans-have-their-say-on-leading-head-coach-candidate/

  • 16 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 8, 2015 at 1:53 PM

    Newcastle fill the stadium week in week out, there are plenty of fans in england

  • 17 Lindisfarne // Jun 8, 2015 at 1:53 PM

    Ed, the boldest choice would be appoint John Carver as the permanent Head Coach, it doesn’t mean that it would be right decision mind!

  • 18 Zero // Jun 8, 2015 at 1:53 PM

    A nice list of 65 players we are most likely going to get linked to at some point lol:

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/11554109/The-65-Premier-League-players-available-on-free-transfers-this-summer.html?frame=3276296

  • 19 barkel // Jun 8, 2015 at 1:54 PM

    Do you think if we are to improve our global brand we should be playing top clubs from those countries? Our US tour this summer doesn’t even include an MLS senior team. We’re playing Portlands reserves!

  • 20 jimmysmith // Jun 8, 2015 at 1:54 PM

    Done!

  • 21 Lindisfarne // Jun 8, 2015 at 1:58 PM

    ToonFromLeeds

    Right enough and I have little evidence to support my point of view, but it is very difficult to find any Fan Blog etc. that supports the current regime and offers a positive perspective of the club. Hardly a ring endorsement that would encourage others across the globe to take up the flag. Unless they like a regular dose of life sucking disappointment taken annually.

  • 22 JAMSHA(CARVER SLAYER) // Jun 8, 2015 at 2:00 PM

    lol mclaren official

  • 23 stan anderson // Jun 8, 2015 at 2:00 PM

    We are not going to rush into panic buys,let all the other real clubs do that.And when all good players are gone we will have 1st option on the crap players nobody else wants.
    Ashley OOT.

  • 24 jimmysmith // Jun 8, 2015 at 2:01 PM

    Wilson Pickett, something tells me you won’t put your money where you’re mouth is. None the less I’ll hold you to it in principle, Beatrice.

  • 25 BandB // Jun 8, 2015 at 2:05 PM

    jimmy

    I’m surprised it took a lad of your years and years and years so long to rumble that!
    I won’t be putting my name on the blog.

  • 26 N1CK06 // Jun 8, 2015 at 2:08 PM

    Beating Liverpool or Spurs to signing Ings is exactly what Ashley should be aiming for to support his big words about improving the squad.

    But the talk continues and we still wait for action.

    Just shows we are in it for the long haul. All that talk is just an attempt to keep pulling the wool over the eyes of the brain-dead sheep and keep them buying their tickets and wonga shirts.

  • 27 Rotonda heights // Jun 8, 2015 at 2:10 PM

    TFL

    It’s very considerate how you update us on all NUFC digest threads!

    I may give up refreshing on

    http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/Premier+League/Newcastle+United

  • 28 richyg01 // Jun 8, 2015 at 2:22 PM

    Darren Bent is available for free now…

  • 29 richyg01 // Jun 8, 2015 at 2:26 PM

    I would put an offer in for Charlie Austin and Jordan Rhodes. £20-25M should get them both.

    Bring in Richards at the back and a decent winger, then we are looking a bit better.

  • 30 usmagpie // Jun 8, 2015 at 3:51 PM

    Not a real shocker as we don’t have a manager in place at the club, as for Agnew I’m actually glad we didn’t sign him. We need to get players that don’t leave for the African cup of nations in January, so good move on that one. As for Bamford 10 million is a real joke the kid has not been tested really, Austin ? Well lets see is Ashley is blowing smoke up the tail pipes of the fans, he did say we are going to change how the club is run and as we all know this talk has been cheap for the last 8 years. So no transfers will happen until we get the manager in, so all the talk about transfers is redundant. God I only hope if it is Steve McClaren that with in his first week he has actually signed someone we need like Micah, lets fix the defense first then we can worry about the strikers.

  • 31 bobby mango // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:39 PM

    We were never really in the running for Ings or Ayew. Mitrovic I never thought would come and he ruled it out himself pretty early.

    So although I am sad we’re moving slowly (again) I’m not especially disappointed at ‘missing out’ on these three.

  • 32 Angryman the Angry fan // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:29 AM

    Same old same old! Anyone taken in by the infamous Ashkey interview needs locking up in St Nics

  • 33 andrewsneill // Jun 9, 2015 at 1:30 PM

    All the talk is that he’s signing for Swansea. Surely we could have competed with Swansea…..?




previous post: Are Newcastle After Loic Remy?

next post: Newcastle Keen On Dutch International Winger