The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Hierarchy Must Be Held Accountable For Their Decisions

6:16 pm, Monday, June 8th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 155 Comments

Steve McClaren is in Crete on vacation today, and he will return to England tomorrow and then will likely be confirmed as the new Newcastle head coach on Wednesday.

It’s  another underwhelming appointment by Lee Charnley, one that will allow Newcastle to continue the way they are currently  running the club,  more than getting one of the many top coaches who were available – somebody who could get the very best out of the players in the Newcastle squad,  and make us into a top side again in England.

lee charnley close-up

Lee Charnley – cannot be accused of making tough decisions

Lee Charnley will hopefully be held fully accountable for this decision – although nothing seems to have been done about the fact he appointed John Carver for 20 games, and we were almost relegated because of that particular poor decision, which seemed to be based more on sentiment than anything – they liked John.

Even Mike Ashley admitted to being shocked we were in the position we were in on the final game of the season, after we were very comfortable in 9th place in the league at the turn of the year when John took over.

But that’s what comes of an almost catastrophic decision made solely by Lee Charnley.

And Charnley didn’t   strengthen the squad in January, when we had time and money to do so,  even through we had a threadbare squad then – in fact he weakened it further on the final day of the transfer window.

And remember if we has been relegated on May 24th that would have costs the club a minimum of £80M – so that easy and comfortable decision by him could have cost Newcastle big money.

And now his latest decision is to appoint Steve McClaren as the head coach, and that can hardly be called a courageous and bold decision – no – it was another easy decision made by the MD.

We will definitely be supporting Steve in that position and hoping he can make a good start this season to his career at Newcastle – the very least he deserves is support and given some time from the Newcastle supporters.

All we want to see is a successful Newcastle side again doing well in the league and maybe having some good cup runs next season.

But if Steve doesn’t work out – it will not even be Steve’s fault, just as it wasn’t John Carver’s fault either – it was the person who appointed them to that position – Lee Charnley.

When you are in an executive position you get big pay for making the decisions which are critical to the club’s success – or otherwise.

And that’s why you have to be held accountable for the decisions you make.

And Mike Ashley is also accountable for his decisions in appointing people to the Executive positions at Newcastle.

There’s news over the weekend there may be a change in the makeup of Newcastle’s Board – so we’ll just have to wait and see what those changes are – if any.

Tags: Financial Fair Play · Financials · Newcastle News · Pre-season · Premier League

155 responses so far ↓

• 1 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:19 PM

I just don’t think G2 has it in him. Is he manly enough to teach colback to kick the ball to willo? Can he make him do it on every corner or free kick? No, i think G2 would crumble, and end up telling someone to shoot, or even pass it to anothwr player other than willo. We could end up looking at a situation where goals may be scored. Unacceptable.

• 2 cyprus // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:21 PM

G2, here’s a picture of our incoming silverware. You don’t need weight lifting… but do you know much about table setting etiquette

• 3 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:21 PM

Slaven Bilic is now as short as 1/50 to be the next West Ham manager

• 4 scout // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:22 PM

Lets give Mcclaren a chance. If he gets the head coach role, he deserves a chance. It’s all about having the players. If he’s given the tools he will deliver imo.
    If we buy cheap, every coach in the country would be up against it in this role.

• 5 GeordieTwo // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:23 PM

When in Crete do as the Cretins do I always say! Huzzah Stevie M!!! And don’t worry we have things completely under control back here. I’m putting in an extension on the trophy cabinet for all the new silverware. We’re planning the silverware parties now. Everyone wants to help out. Hope you like all the changes we’ve made when you get back Stevie M. We’re so lucky to get Stevie M. lads.

• 6 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:24 PM

Of course… kicking it to willo was Pardews continental method. Carver was not able to teach it. He prefered to teach the old fashioned english method of blasting the ball at the nearest defenders’ knees. Colback excelled at that this year. Can G2 honestly say he could do better??? I doubt it.

• 7 cyprus // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:25 PM

I want to see 4 things next year:

NUFC players successfully passing the ball to eachother more than twice.

A goal from a set play.

A penalty that we’ll win without an opponent actually killing Perez.

• 8 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:25 PM

To be honest I would prefer Mclaren over Bilic

• 9 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:27 PM

LMAO Cyprus

• 10 GeordieTwo // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:27 PM

I accept full responsibility for all incoming silverware mates! Just stand back and prepare to gaze in awe at wor trophy cabinet as it fills up. It’s going to be difficult for clubs like Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City when they realize Mike is after silverware now. Well just suck it up Chelski etc. You didn’t deserve it anyway.

• 11 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:29 PM

No. 3 is hilarious! I think its right though. Newcastle players have to die before they get a penalty!

• 12 croftus5678 // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:30 PM

i just wish we didnt drag our feet and try penny pinch everything losing out on our main targets !…..thats if they was targets at the first and not just for show so the fans think we are doing something.

i would like some action please instead of “well we did bid but unfortunatly couldnt get them over the line so we missed out on our 2nd/3rd/4th targets also as we was concentrating on our main target”.

• 13 GeordieTwo // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:30 PM

I can say that YCMIU mate! I teach what is known as the subterranean method. We tunnel under the wall and into the opponents’ goal (hopefully). It’s all the rage in South America now. I can guarantee goals if we can get the right diggers on the pitch. Trust me YCMIU, it’s wor only hope mate.

• 14 GeordieTwo // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:33 PM

Of course with all the incoming silverware I may have to hire a fairly large number of unpackers etc. We’ll need an entertainment complex to unwind after all the hard work Mike. Assorted refreshments. In fact an open bar might be best Mike.

• 15 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:33 PM

Thats all very well, but will it result in goals? We cant have that. What about willo? Where does he fit in? And defenders’ knees could go for whole games without one single ball aimlessly blasted into them?

• 16 BandB // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:34 PM

What counts as a marquee player?
    Not for a normal football club of course, but for us?

With our system of accounting a £12.5m player on fifty grand a week over five years is a £25 million player.

That gives you two for £50 million.

If you say Adam Lallana is about the normal starting point for someone who might to called a marquee player under normal rules, it gives you one.

Would three Jack Colback’s pass the marquee player test for you?

• 17 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:34 PM

G2 are you Bob Dylan?
    subterranean homesick blues

• 18 Tsunki // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:34 PM

Jesper – on the McLaren issue I’m strangely in agreement with Pokat he makes a lot of sense ha ha. I think he’s a relatively predictable route to stability. I don’t buy Mike’s ” peace in our time” video short, but anything that upgrades Carver is at least a start and I will give Wally a chance. Three maybe five games 🙂

• 19 Toon-Prodigy // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:35 PM

If he gets the strong squad im sure he will finish comfortably top 8.

Hoping this reporting of only signing 6 players is a wind up.

• 20 GeordieTwo // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:36 PM

Mike is a man of action now croftus mate. Behind the scenes there has been an explosion of activity. Lee is racing around screaming Buy! Buy! Graham is on the bus to watch some younguns play in a tournament in Scotland. Mike is reviewing my job application. Tremendous.

• 21 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:37 PM

I thought fees only included the first years wages, sunce they are not yet budgeted, but following years they are in the known budget, or something?

I could be wrong, or talking cack of course 😀

• 22 scout // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:38 PM

Im thinking the first signing will be a beauty to get the old pulses racing.

• 23 DeanToon88 // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:38 PM

Would love to see this team, it would definitely be a top 8 side and would be well within a 60m transfer budget:

Janmaat Coloccini Nastacic Rose

Sissoko Colback Schneiderlin Fer

Benteke/Perez Austin

• 24 GeordieTwo // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:41 PM

A marquee player for us is Phil Gizzle BandB. Under 5 player of the year in Adelaide. Top goal scorer at the age of 10 with the Adelaide Addendums. Has very long legs and can cross a ball blindfolded. Wants to be paid in Licorice Allsorts. This is our man mates.

• 25 cyprus // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:42 PM

B n B,
    In my note to Mike I meant 50 mil intitial cost:

Marquee: One Ferrari, one Rolls and a Porsche 😉 No more Peugeots 🙂

• 26 dok - the horrid colonial // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:43 PM

dean @ 23

and I would also like a large breasted blonde nymphomaniac, who owns her own bar and liquor store, to marry me… she must also be deaf and mute….

• 27 Tsunki // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:43 PM

£60m ha ha. Sorry did I laugh out loud? Sorry. I must have missed something where did the £60 budget come from? And don’t say Ed.

• 28 GeordieTwo // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:43 PM

Don’t talk cack YCMIU mate. If we talk cack we think cack. Soon we no longer believe in the new Ashley plan. Then we don’t win any silverware. Then I’m oot of a job mate. So just stay calm and follow the program.

• 29 croftus5678 // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:43 PM

@20 g2

lol all’s good then >.<

• 30 Toon-Prodigy // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:44 PM

I really rate that Rose like, good player and wouldn’t cost an arm or a leg either.

• 31 Tsunki // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:45 PM

Dok I’m a known schizophrenic is that close enough? As for my boobs…er well let’s not get in to that..

• 32 Toon-Prodigy // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:47 PM

Someones bought Villa I think, lucky twats!

• 33 GeordieTwo // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:47 PM

Well, I’m really pleased with the progress we’ve made today. We know what our budget will be…..about 60M. We know we’ll win silverware. We know who our player targets are. We’ve got our set pieces sorted. I’ll soon be sweating heavily putting the silverware in its rightful place. It’s good to have everything under control early in the off season isn’t it?

• 34 BandB // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:47 PM

I have heard it described as I put it and how you describe it.
    You believe what you want to I think.
    I agree with Cyprus. Three good signings would settle some nerves. But I would regard an established current international as a marquee signing at the stage we are at now.
    Last summer we signed one who had played at the World Cup…

• 35 croftus5678 // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:49 PM

2 very good cb’s and 1 true big strong no9 that knows where the net is and is tried and tested without any of our main players going would make me think we have progressed a lot imo.

add siem/rolando/cabella’s new lease of life under new management and same with tiote if maccy can get him playing like he did before and its a very good start to the new season imo.

• 36 Graeme // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:49 PM

Dok @ 26

You can have mine mate, I’m knackered. lol

• 37 lesh // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:49 PM

Bilic to West Ham only because they weren’t brave enough to approach the likes of McLaren like wot Charnley woz!

• 38 GeordieTwo // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:51 PM

Scout @22 are you thinking somebody really beautiful like Angelina Jolie as our first signing mate? Does that mean we have to let Brad Pitt come to the matches as well? I’m just concerned it will turn into a bit of a circus mate….. Not that it isn’t a bit of a circus already….but you get my meaning. Harrumph.

• 39 Belfast // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:52 PM

Benteke is 32 million and Southampton want 25 million for the French bloke.
    Did you buy your calculator in Sports direct by any chance ? 🙂

• 40 Tsunki // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:53 PM

Well let’s all put our house on Big Mac and his small Fries and Chicken Nuggets starting the pre season tour of US 3rd tier Colossi with a bang and we can a ride on a wave of resurgent optimism. Before that I think it’s best be careful not to get burned by the coffee. Better wake up and smell it first.

• 41 GeordieTwo // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:53 PM

I believe in the power of positive thinking. I’ve got my mind focused on silverware right now. Something tasteful…..none of this gold plated stuff. Nice designs on the tea spoons.

• 42 scout // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:54 PM

Sign players over 27
    Sign players over 70 grand a week
    Sign players with hunger in their bellies.

• 43 scout // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:56 PM

Jolie a great shout geordie

• 44 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:57 PM

Armstrong Scored that’s our Englisg striker sorted!!

• 45 Tsunki // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:57 PM

Can’t say I agree with the photo caption “Lee Charnley – cannot be accused of making tough decisions” – looks to me like he’s folded his menu in defiance after going for the Veggie Hot One with a stuffed crust. Whoever that is. Carver perhaps.

• 46 DeanToon88 // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:58 PM

Charlie Austin and Perez would be a decent strike partnership, We need to really badly need to sign a New Left back since Santon left, a solid CB, Leroy Fer would be a solid signing for us as he can play LM and replace Gouffran

• 47 GeordieTwo // Jun 8, 2015 at 6:59 PM

You lads already appear to be putting on your thongs of doubt. This is no time for doubt. We’ve got plans to make. We’ve got exciting announcements to look forward to. We’ve got a lock on some silverware already. I’m relaxed and confident. Just follow my lead lads. And lasses.

• 48 Tsunki // Jun 8, 2015 at 7:00 PM

If glass legs Haidara could stay fit we could use Dummet as a cb / lb backup. Probably do need 3 more players at the back mind.

• 49 Bambams // Jun 8, 2015 at 7:01 PM

If mac is in post by Thursday (holiday washing needs doing ) then due to the fact Charva stated three weeks ago we had a list of ‘Top signings’ we wanted….The character tests will have been completed and agents will have stated what wages they expect….

So no excuses why we can’t make a signing before the week is out.

• 50 GeordieTwo // Jun 8, 2015 at 7:05 PM

We could put glass legs Haidara next to glass legs Saylor at the start of the new season Tsunki mate. Then in the middle is glass man De Jong. Up front is one leg Papisse. Possibly glass legs Aarons on the wing. That lineup could last for at least part of 1 match. It’s exciting to have the core of the team already sorted isn’t it?

• 51 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 8, 2015 at 7:06 PM

One for you G2

• 52 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 8, 2015 at 7:08 PM

Rolando on Twitter

Rolando Aarons ?@R_Aarons16 · 33s33 seconds ago
    Been the best and worst season of my life, now time to chill and get ready for @Back_2_Action In a few weeks ??#PrePreSeason

• 53 Jail for Ashley // Jun 8, 2015 at 7:08 PM

I’ve just seen that Ings is going to Lpool, that means we’ve got absolutely no chance of Austen for a fee then.

• 54 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 8, 2015 at 7:11 PM

Sorry, was pulled away into a discussion with my good lady about an impending childcare crisis……

Anyway.. yeah, i think thats about right. Believe what we want. These days i tend to hope for the best but believe the worst :-s.

The principle of 3 big names is perfectly reasonable… for any other club. It remains to be seen whether ashley meant what he spouted on tv. “Punching above our financial weight” and getting those players would be a start.

• 55 Toon-Prodigy // Jun 8, 2015 at 7:13 PM

Still unconvinced on Haidara, not sure if he is good enough as a starter.

If they could bring in that Rose though I’d be over the moon.

On the striker front i’d like to see someone rapid up front, in the Bellamy mould maybe. Think we lack real pace throughout the squad. Sissoko can bomb on and Obertan but that’s about it really.

• 56 Tsunki // Jun 8, 2015 at 7:14 PM

Hang on G2 are we going for silverware or crystal?

• 57 welshgeordie9 // Jun 8, 2015 at 7:14 PM

Nice to see that you always bring joy and happiness to this blog.

• 58 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 8, 2015 at 7:16 PM

I think Welshie JFA is what we call a realist either that or Private Fraser from Dad’s army

• 59 BlacknWhiteBarmy // Jun 8, 2015 at 7:18 PM

Funny how Arrons is fit and starring for England now. He is out of contract soon and will walk. Dont like it but cant blame him for wanting away from the awful club we have become – the only cheering thing is that Penfold and Fatash get no money!

• 60 Tsunki // Jun 8, 2015 at 7:20 PM

Toon prodigy I think Haidara has bigger problems than ability since that clash with the wigan thug.

You’re dead right about the lack of pace we’ve only got sissoko and he gains momentum like a train.

• 61 BandB // Jun 8, 2015 at 7:22 PM

With Haidara, Dummett and Janmaat, plus Colback and Anita who can play there, I don’t think we’ll sign another specialist full back.

With Colocinni, Taylor and Lascelles, plus Janmaat and Dummett who can play there, I don’t think we’ll sign another centre back. Its why let Mbiwa and Santon go. Lee said “A very strong case would have to be made…..”

If we do sign a defender, it will be because someone leaves in summer (other than Willo) or because they are scheduling Janmaat for a Christmas exodus.

• 62 mickalfas // Jun 8, 2015 at 7:26 PM

The reason there’s been no action yet ,charmless can only get £300 a day out of the cash point
    Another week that’s the budget sorted

• 63 welshgeordie9 // Jun 8, 2015 at 7:26 PM

You forgot to mention that I’m very talented and probably the best looking person on this blog, i know everyone is jealous of welshie, if i was any of you lot I would feel the same.

Ha ha ha

• 64 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 8, 2015 at 7:28 PM

Yh ok Welshie, Can you fit ur head through the door?

• 65 welshgeordie9 // Jun 8, 2015 at 7:29 PM

Oh and another thing if mcclaren is the new head coach give him time, you know what happend last time.

• 66 welshgeordie9 // Jun 8, 2015 at 7:31 PM

I can fit my head no problem but for some reason i can’t fit my mouth.

• 67 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 8, 2015 at 7:33 PM

Don’s 3 attacking players

• 68 Toon-Prodigy // Jun 8, 2015 at 7:33 PM

Aye, shocking tackle. Possibly affected him on a psychological level.

I don’t know what makes me think less of Haidara, probably just havn’t seen enough of the lad and never really jumped out at me like a Janmaat when he has played. I think he is still pretty young also so hopefully he can have a decent season if they are wanting to start the lad next season.

Im all for this reporting of getting a few english lads in aswell. I’d take Nolan and Barton back in a heartbeat. When i look over at the Makums aswell I can’t believe they have Defoe. He would of chose us over them surely if we went in for him.

• 69 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 8, 2015 at 7:36 PM

Fiorentina sack Montella.
    Our Post is still open

• 70 swemag // Jun 8, 2015 at 7:38 PM

Have been reading soem of the Liverpool supporters comments on the Ings signing.
    It sounds like the world is about to end, funny thinking how if he signed for us we would all be celebrating…well, it would at least give us some hope.

• 71 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 8, 2015 at 7:39 PM

swemag are Bin Dippers complaining?

• 72 swemag // Jun 8, 2015 at 7:42 PM

He is seen as bench warmer, a backup. They are basically pissed off that they have not done any big signings yet, ‘only’ Millner and Ings…

Imagine those two signing for us in one week.

• 73 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 8, 2015 at 7:45 PM

Never satisfied

• 74 dok - the horrid colonial // Jun 8, 2015 at 7:47 PM

always said id never punch anyone with glasses on… til I saw the picture of charnley…

• 75 clinath@ed // Jun 8, 2015 at 7:48 PM

Don’t think we’ll sign anyone until a manager (coach) is in place. Risk of undermining his authority and all that….

• 76 p // Jun 8, 2015 at 7:49 PM

Milner and Ings are good signings on frees but i imagine Liverpool fans are a bit upset that the Suarez money was not well spent last season and they are perhaps looking to get more mediocre players.

I guess they want 25-30m players like Benteke but, those 2 could be just as effective.

• 77 Slank // Jun 8, 2015 at 7:50 PM

Leeds @ 44

There were three Newcastle players in that England team.

How many times has that been said in the last 100 years I wonder ?

• 78 Tsunki // Jun 8, 2015 at 7:53 PM

Welsh @ 65 no, what did happen last time?

• 79 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 8, 2015 at 7:53 PM

god knows Slank, Bout time we had ONE quality player in England full team

• 80 swemag // Jun 8, 2015 at 8:05 PM

Maybe we could take Lambert of their hands, he could do a decent job for us. Would much prefer us trying to resign Remy though.

• 81 Toon-Prodigy // Jun 8, 2015 at 8:08 PM

Not sure I could face Remy back here, he only ever seems to want us as a last resort. Good player though.

They need to stop using us as a platform or a stepping stone.

If we showed some ambition im sure we could keep a hold of most players.

• 82 jazzyp // Jun 8, 2015 at 8:10 PM

Considering our defensive duties are none existent over the last few seasons and we ship goals for fun and have one of the worst defensive records season in season out.
    I would without question say we need the defence shoring up. and that can only be accomplished by bringing in better quality defenders.
    Willo is championship at best……Move on
    Colo 1 season left……wind down contract and good for another season as backup.
    Saylor 1season left…..sell on for scrap
    Janmaat 5 star keep keep keep
    Hadaira. has a lot of potential defo keep
    Dummet still not swayed with this lad ????

• 83 swemag // Jun 8, 2015 at 8:11 PM

As we are not the best of the best any player that shines will want to go somewhere else.
    That is true for any club that is not Real Madrid, Barca, Chelsea or Man City.
    Even Man Utd will see if the price is right, I would not say that Ronaldo use them as a stepping stone, but in the end a ‘bigger’ club came calling.

• 84 Toon-Prodigy // Jun 8, 2015 at 8:13 PM

I think Dummett will be a good CB within a few yrs. Decent player for me, seems pretty solid and likes a tackle. Not sure him as a LB though.

• 85 swemag // Jun 8, 2015 at 8:18 PM

Just did some youtube scouting of Bamford, as we know this is a highly reliable way of getting the complete picture of a player (indeed). Either way, him for 10 million I think would be good value.
    He could take the PL by storm next year, good feet and good head.

• 86 mickalfas // Jun 8, 2015 at 8:20 PM

At the moment I think we have fallen so far that I’m hoping mcclaren can give us top 8 finishes for a couple of seasons
    Then and only then we might be able to attract players/managers of the quality we deserve
    Give the job to coco the fcuking clown and were doomed ,I say were doomed
    Ings and milner and possibly ayew on frees and we can’t afford it ,I fcuking despair
    Can’t wait to see who we sign,some third rate French numpty

• 87 Jail for Ashley // Jun 8, 2015 at 8:29 PM

Wring. It will take Mike Ashley selling up before any ambitious player joins us for any other reason than as a stepping stone. It has absolutely nothing to do with top eight finishes.

• 88 OneAlanShearer // Jun 8, 2015 at 8:29 PM

Patrick Bamford would likely be a loan only so I don’t see that as being for us. I would like to see us sign two quality centre backs, a playmaker to finally replace cabaye, two strikers – austin would be a good signing and a target man.

• 89 jazzyp // Jun 8, 2015 at 8:40 PM

Toon prodigy

You might be right mate re Dummett, But I think there are better options out there.
    Lascalles could be a future star and has more potential as a CB. He could do with playing with someone with vast experience and maybe colo on his day can offer that.
    Remember how we all had massive hope for Streete and he unfortunately has not made the grade. In my opinion we need to spend money at the back otherwise we will continue to ship goals for fun

• 90 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 8, 2015 at 8:41 PM

Villa want him now!

• 91 sickandtired // Jun 8, 2015 at 8:41 PM

Why does Ashley saying he was ‘shocked’ translate that he wasn’t involved in what took place?

Shocked at how bad JC was?; shocked at how terribly bare the squad was proven to be?; shocked at how bad some of the players are?

Shocked that their collective decisions put us in that mess would be and is my interpretation. It simply defys belief that Charnley and Carr are left tpo run the Club with no input from Ashley – a known and reported control freak.

• 92 sickandtired // Jun 8, 2015 at 8:44 PM

Bamford –

For those talking about him, don’t you know he fell out with McClaren and tweeted about being played out of position (after scoring when he moved)?

Him coming here is about as likely as Ba, Remy and Cabaye returning.

• 93 check the toastie // Jun 8, 2015 at 8:51 PM

Ashley gives Newcastle no thought wotsoever, totally disinterested unfortunately, the people he trusts to run the club are as thick as shit, at least Maclaren appears to have a brain that isn’t pickled.

• 94 Thump // Jun 8, 2015 at 8:54 PM

@sickandtired: In all fairness, how was Ashley to know that a squad filled with reserves wouldn’t be good enough for the premier league?

• 95 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 8, 2015 at 8:54 PM

Alan Shearer class guy

Charlie Austin tweeted that Shearer scored 260 PL goals and no one is gonna pass him.
    In reply shearer said Why don’t you come up here and Try!!!

• 96 sickandtired // Jun 8, 2015 at 8:57 PM

1998 world cup- Lee, Batty, Shearer

No clue about any other times or in other games.

• 97 Our Toon // Jun 8, 2015 at 8:58 PM

Shocked Liverpool signed Ings, they have Origi coming back aswell, Balotelli says he isn’t going anywhere. On the flip side I’m absolutely chuffed we aren’t gonna get Ings, mediocre/shite is what I’d class him as. I’ve said all along he’s a poor man’s Shane Long and he’s pants as well!!

• 98 soundoid // Jun 8, 2015 at 8:58 PM

McClaren Isn’t the sexiest appointment ever but all the players he has coached have only good things to say about him. Give him a chance if he is appointed. He’s honest too in interviews which is one thing that annoyed all of us with AP and JC. He might be just what we need. I for one will give him the benefit of the doubt. Even if he’s not that an inspiring name.

• 99 BlacknWhiteBarmy // Jun 8, 2015 at 9:00 PM

Top 8 LMFAO

Relegation certainties

• 100 Our Toon // Jun 8, 2015 at 9:01 PM

• 101 BlacknWhiteBarmy // Jun 8, 2015 at 9:01 PM

Soundoid – no player slags off a coach !!!!!

Some things come out later but not whilst playing – all players / coaches stick together – how many have said Charver is crap?

• 102 mickalfas // Jun 8, 2015 at 9:03 PM

Austin=£15m means there’s no way we’ll get him over the line ,we can’t afford freebiees ffs
    Ashley fcuk off now !!
    No doubt we have nothing to worry about with dumb and dumber at the helm
    We can all sleep well !!
    Next week we’ll be all happy and waiting for the season to get under way lol

• 103 BlacknWhiteBarmy // Jun 8, 2015 at 9:03 PM

If Abeid is off its another crap decision. He did more than most last season and could be a bit of a Gary Speed if he had a long run in the team.

• 104 Graeme // Jun 8, 2015 at 9:04 PM

TFL @ 95 – Charlie Austin rumoured to be arriving before the end of the week. Watch those steps at SJP!!

• 105 Our Toon // Jun 8, 2015 at 9:05 PM

When McClaren becomes HC I’ll give him a fair shot but please don’t be deluded in thinking he will be any different to all the others that have managed under this regime, he will either leave before Xmas or he’ll will stay and peddle the same bollocks previous men have spun to us. He’ll be a mouthpiece!!

• 106 BlacknWhiteBarmy // Jun 8, 2015 at 9:05 PM

What we have a closed door friendly with QPR?

• 107 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 8, 2015 at 9:06 PM

Yh ok Graeame We can dream

• 108 BlacknWhiteBarmy // Jun 8, 2015 at 9:07 PM

Our Toon – why give him a chance? Surely he should be able to get the team playing attractive football, scoring goals, attracting players all by himself – hes not doing it for the love.

He has to earn Respect – its not a given.

• 109 Graeme // Jun 8, 2015 at 9:08 PM

TFL – yep, until he’s on those steps, thats it!!

• 110 BlacknWhiteBarmy // Jun 8, 2015 at 9:09 PM

With our past history of top signings he will trip on the stairs and break his leg – out for the season at least

• 111 Our Toon // Jun 8, 2015 at 9:12 PM

When a player signs for nufc do you give him a chance or do you get on his back immediately? Doesn’t matter who is appointed as manager it will take months for players to adjust to tactics formations etc. It won’t all happen overnight, it’s important to show patience and let’s not forget the main culprit is Ashley not McClaren. You have to vent any anger it should be at the owner!!

• 112 BlacknWhiteBarmy // Jun 8, 2015 at 9:15 PM

Our Toon – I would make my first impession on his past record initially – with Brolly Boy its not looking good

• 113 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 8, 2015 at 9:19 PM

You drew a lot of conclusions based on little or no evidence. How do you know what Carver told Abeid, how do you know anyone took notice of Carver and how do you know Carver wasn’t just passing on a message?

You said only two clubs were interested in Colback. Well it looks like Ings is going straight to Liverpool. How many clubs were at the negotiating table according to your media outlets for him? If it was only one does that make Ings poor? Just because the whole thing’s been sorted out in private to which you’re not a party.

Did you answer my question? Didn’t Colback get an England call up shortly after signing for us? What does that tell you about what the England camp thought of him never mind you and all the other clubs you say weren’t the least bit interested?

• 114 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 8, 2015 at 9:26 PM

If you want to vent anger at Ashley but he’s not there, sending the tea boy and the brolly boy to represent him, who do you vent your anger at? No brainer.

• 115 Mr Magpie // Jun 8, 2015 at 9:28 PM

Javier Hernandez is available & wants to be playing regularly. Now him & Austin up front would show ambition…highly unlikely but over to you Mr Ashley to prove us all wrong!!!!

• 116 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 8, 2015 at 9:29 PM

Wouldn’t our time be better spent suggesting a few head coach vacancies for John?

• 117 OneAlanShearer // Jun 8, 2015 at 9:32 PM

Janmaat new cb new cb dummett/haidara

Colback tiote

Perez SDJ Aarons

Ideally I would replace the 2 centre backs and the left back and tiote plus by a target man to allow for 352, 442 or 4411. We need to get a playmaker id swap cabella for one all day as he’s too lightweight.

• 118 Our Toon // Jun 8, 2015 at 9:33 PM

I know you get a hard on for all things colback buddy but just relax. You either struggle to read or you have issues with understanding exactly what you read. Let me break it down for you once more:

Colback said it was between NUFC and West Ham, his agent said his considering 2 offers from NUFC and West Ham. Fat Sham said after Colback signed for NUFC that WH offered him more money but it the end the lad decided to stay in the north east. So my conclusions I drew from that are that only 2 clubs offered the lad a contract. Hey you see what other scouts don’t see though in your non armchair seat at SJP!! Does that make sense mate?

I said to you yesterday that I know of Abeid through the mosque he attends infrequently and from his English teacher who also attends the same mosque, the owner of the company who supplied the teacher is a friend of mine who I grew up with, Abeid was told before he left to find a new club for next season by Carver who was angry with the lad as he was critical of Carver in training. Carver blamed him for Man utd game in public and subbed him in game against spurs when he was arguably one of our better players in that 1st half…..After that Abeid didn’t play!! Again non of this is rocket science.

I won’t repeat myself again, if you still struggle to comprehend any of this then I suggest you get your fellow wum to explain it to you!!

• 119 OneAlanShearer // Jun 8, 2015 at 9:35 PM

I bet they sell sissoko, cisse and tiote. To fund new signings. I’d keep cisse and sissoko and build on what we have.

• 120 Mr Magpie // Jun 8, 2015 at 9:36 PM

Shearer just challenged Austin via Twitter to come to nufc to try break his goal scoring record!!!
    Sack Charnley hire Shearer he is doing a better job of players recruitment!!

• 121 Our Toon // Jun 8, 2015 at 9:39 PM

I don’t like the appointment of McClaren but you can’t knock his record on the continent, no mean feat to win the league with Twente. Poor in Germany, He did ok at Boro, the championship is notoriously hard to get out of but he should have done better and he underachieved with Derby

• 122 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 8, 2015 at 9:43 PM

Okay. Here’s a one. What about a NUFC fan union? Fans pay a membership fee, elect leaders, hold the club to account, issue statements to the press about events at the club, enter into dialogue with the club, negotiate with it and as a long stop withdraw their support. A kind of independent NUFC, a mirror club rather than a new club.

• 123 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 8, 2015 at 9:45 PM

• 124 BlacknWhiteBarmy // Jun 8, 2015 at 9:47 PM

Our Toon – you forgot Forest – another shocker.

Willing to be proved wrong but he is not the man for the job – at best another FatAsh mouthpiece, happy to go through the motions – no plan B, no motivational skills – and that his best bit.

A step up from Charver and on a par with Pardum

• 125 swemag // Jun 8, 2015 at 9:49 PM

Just get the McClaren thing done and start signing players. Bloody hell, it is amazing how much time everything seems to take at this club.

And yes, Austin is worth 15. Charnley and Ashley need to understand that.

• 126 BlacknWhiteBarmy // Jun 8, 2015 at 9:50 PM

I never thought he was this passionate about football:-

• 127 Our Toon // Jun 8, 2015 at 9:51 PM

You’ve just said exactly what I said, he’ll be a mouthpiece or he’ll walk buddy, doesn’t matter who’s appointed we have to give them a chance at first just like we did with Carver and every other manager we’ve ever had.

I remember how up in arms everyone was about Houghton being appointed. It’s pointless starting off a new managers reign by heckling him or getting on his back. That’s the point I was making buddy

• 128 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 8, 2015 at 9:56 PM

Colback may have said it was between NUFC and West Ham. That may have been because Wes ham and NUFC were offering the most or Colback himself narrowed it down from a wider group. You take three pieces of a 1000 piece jigsaw, fit them together and then tell the world you can describe the full picture.

And remember. Despite what you’ve claimed, I’m not saying I know what happened. I’m just challenging your claim to know it all.

I note you side step my point about Colback’s England call up and Ings move to Liverpool.

As for your friend of a friend at the mosque that Abeid goes to infrequently… dear me. You probably believe the gospel stories of the resurrection.

How do you know that the comedian’s dad didn’t make the decision and asked the cones guy to pass it on. The fact the cones guy was pleased about it is neither here nor there and proves nothing.

• 129 BlacknWhiteBarmy // Jun 8, 2015 at 9:56 PM

Our Toon – the fact that Penfold and FatAsh are involved taints any view I could have of the numpty, brolly bearing bore

• 130 BlacknWhiteBarmy // Jun 8, 2015 at 9:59 PM

Lets all agree – only FatAsh has a clue whats happening. And if its not profitable then its not happening

• 131 Our Toon // Jun 8, 2015 at 10:07 PM

I’m a religious man you may not believe in a religion but show a bit more class than mocking someone for there beliefs. Being apart of a mosque I’d like being apart of community it’s hard for someone like yourself to comprehend I get that. I’m one of a few who do still reply to you though on here because, I can see why so many have formed opinions which aren’t to good about about you though.

Fact remains colback got 2 contract offers….you haven’t dispelled that at all. Fact remains I told you Abeid is surplus to requirements and today news is he’s transfer listed. One more fact, unlike you I don’t know all thay happens but what I do know I share.

Did you ever prove you really are a toon fan that attends games? Didn’t someone recently ask you to send a pic to an email of your season ticket?

• 132 Tsunki // Jun 8, 2015 at 10:11 PM

Blackley careful there you might be being just as specious in your efforts to disprove; after all, you can’t prove the gospel resurrection accounts aren’t true, can you?

As for Colbacks England call up, even desperate England managers can make mistakes. I notice he hasn’t had much of a look in since.

• 133 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 8, 2015 at 10:15 PM

OurToon says

“I said yesterday that Abeid has been told by Carver he isn’t wanted and I said this shows carver has a say on incoming and outgoings, Blackley challanged this, news today that Abeid has been transfer listed!!”

How does Carver telling Abeid he isn’t wanted and Abeid being transfer listed show that Carver has a say on incomings and outgoings? It shows no more than the cones guy can deliver a message. It doesn’t show the cones guy persuaded the comedian’s dad. It doesn’t even show the cones guy had the opportunity to vent his spleen to the comedian’s dad.

• 134 Our Toon // Jun 8, 2015 at 10:15 PM

Doesn’t Attercliffe who comes in buddy the regime will always have the final say!!

• 135 Belfast // Jun 8, 2015 at 10:23 PM

Bring back Pokat!

• 136 Our Toon // Jun 8, 2015 at 10:23 PM

I’ve discussed all I had to discuss with you and I don’t wish to engage with you after your mocking of my religion in any talk of football, the last things I will say are.

You can ask the others if they believe the cones guy has a say or not. What I will say is that getting rid of a 22/23 year old for peanuts doesn’t exactly scream MA motto or his decision. The cones guy said himself he sat in on transfer talks….either way believe what you want buddy, just try to show a little respect!!

I have to dash as I have a client presentation tomorrow and hopefully my company wins the contract, it’s between me and 1 other but you never know there might be a 3rd party somewhere just like in Colbacks case!! A third party that never cones to the negotiating table.

• 137 Tsunki // Jun 8, 2015 at 10:25 PM

Clamp it down nice and tight belfast.

• 138 Sir Braveheart // Jun 8, 2015 at 10:26 PM

“Dr. Ed Harrison is a retired IBM Executive, born and bred in Newcastle, who built and managed a successful Network Consulting business at IBM in the late 1990s which quickly surpassed the $1B dollar mark – he retired from IBM in 2004 after 34 years at the US company.”

Ed for MD!! Come on Ashley, get on it son…

• 139 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 8, 2015 at 10:28 PM

Colback may have only got two contact offers. Ings may only have got one. So what? You can’t conclude anything from that.

You continue to ignore the England call up. You prefer to talk about scouts of other clubs and what you imagine they thought about Colback.

As for my ST. I carry it in my wallet. I’ve stated where I am on a few occasions for anyone to check it. Unfortunately the armchairs are all over the world but I have offered to meet MrMojo on the first game of the season. I can’t see him turning up.

• 140 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 8, 2015 at 10:28 PM

TBF Ed knows more about football than the whole Newcastle board put together

• 141 BlacknWhiteBarmy // Jun 8, 2015 at 10:28 PM

and if you take the shilling then you are one of the regime ……

• 142 soundoid // Jun 8, 2015 at 10:28 PM

BlacknWhiteBarmy @101 true while they are being coached by them would be career limiting but when retired players come out and say he’s the best coach they have ever worked with. Danny Murphy states he’s the best coach he’s ever worked with and he’s usually quite candid in his criticism of just about everyone.

• 143 BlacknWhiteBarmy // Jun 8, 2015 at 10:30 PM

Balckley – if Colback getting an England cap isnt divine intervention – then what is….?

• 144 BlacknWhiteBarmy // Jun 8, 2015 at 10:33 PM

soundoid – perhaps Danny Murphy was more of the type of player McLaren wants – therefore the player will feel wanted.
    Hmmm Danny Murphy – cant say I rate him that highly. Steady, honest professional – but not a TOP player. A team full of that type would send me to sleep

• 145 jimmysmith // Jun 8, 2015 at 10:33 PM

“What about a NUFC fan union? ”

That’s a great idea. Look what FC United are achieving in Manchester.

• 146 Our Toon // Jun 8, 2015 at 10:42 PM

Colback did get a call up for England for a meaningless friendly, hasn’t got a call up since, Cleverly has more caps and he’s pants. Just because you get a call up to the national team doesn’t make you a good player, getting a call up and keeping your place makes you a good player!!

• 147 Tsunki // Jun 8, 2015 at 10:44 PM

Blackley says

“I have no respect for any ideas preached to kids that a man was killed and resurrected, based solely on a few ancient, contradictory, hearsay accounts which were vociferously challenged by the majority of people of the day. Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence. I make no apologies for challenging the idea or mocking the evidence.”

All of that is incorrect, and it’s your opinion, and there’s still plenty of people who find your assertions disrespectful and insulting, as Our Toon says. You’re missing the point Blackley. You base your ridicule of others beliefs on acquired snippets of hearsay ad as you or I or anyone living today wasn’t around we can’t prove that those events happened in any fashion that supports your view. Maybe you would do yourself a few favours by not straying into areas where you assume knowledge.

• 148 p // Jun 8, 2015 at 10:47 PM

@146, called up for a meaningless friendly

hmmm, like Charlie Austin?

• 149 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 8, 2015 at 10:59 PM

I’m not assuming any knowledge. I’m criticising anyone who takes 2 and 2 and comes up with 1000. I have a perfect right to do that. I find a so called moral book that lays down that homosexuals, prostitutes and adulterers should be stoned to death according to God’s law to be somewhat disrespectful. There’s nothing insulting or disrespectful about challenging people’s ideas. If OurToon wants to come up with his firm football opinions on a blog based on shallow, dubious evidence, why should he complain or be surprised when he’s challenged?

• 150 Tsunki // Jun 8, 2015 at 11:00 PM

My point is that you are missing yours blackley.think about it.

• 151 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 8, 2015 at 11:02 PM

what a laugh

• 152 soundoid // Jun 8, 2015 at 11:05 PM

BlacknWhiteBarmy Ha Ha! Could have done with some players like that this year instead of a bunch of championship brits and foreign mercs
    think we can all count on one hand who gave there all this season. Which is a sad state of affairs. Who ever comes in is going to find it tough with the current squad.

We all know McClaren is a sticking plaster for a club that has no competent managerial structure. No real DOF=No direction.

If he’s employed as a head coach I think he’ll do well for a couple of years before the wheels come off.

He could of course come in as DOF which would mean Carver as HC.
    No one’s thought about that have they 🙂

• 153 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 8, 2015 at 11:06 PM

Your gripe that you can’t let drop is my saying matchgoers might appreciate Colback more than tv viewers. I’m a tv viewer too. You don’t see s game of football on tv. You see a little window that follows the ball at a game of football. What’s your problem with that?

• 154 Angryman the Angry fan // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:33 AM

Is Charnley most inept MD ever?

• 155 The overrated Frenchman // Jun 9, 2015 at 8:34 AM

Yes, Charnley is almost certainly the most inept MD I’d argue in Premier League history. If NUFC was a listed company with real shareholders I have no doubt he would be facing white collar criminal charges by now.

previous post: Newcastle Keen On Dutch International Winger