The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren’s Coaching Was Brilliant To Watch – I Thought – WOW

5:56 pm, Tuesday, June 9th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 181 Comments

If the things we keep hearing about just how good Steve McClaren is on the training pitch,  then he will very quickly get the respect of the Newcastle players – and since Steve will have more than three weeks to prepare for the coaching  with his new coaching staff.

Hopefully it will be a tonic for the Newcastle players when they return from their summer break and get on the training field with their new head coach.

Paul Gascoigne

A recent photo of Paul Gascoigne

The latest star player to say how good Steve is in his coaching methods is former Newcastle and England star Paul Gascoigne, who had this to say to talkSPORT today:

“When Sven-Goran Eriksson was manager of England I went along to the camp, just to watch, and Steve McClaren took the training,”

“Some of the stuff he was doing on the training field was brilliant to watch. I thought, ‘wow, I didn’t know he was like that’. I didn’t realise how good he was as a coach.”

“As a manager, I don’t think he’s had a fair crack at any job either.”

Steve could still be announced today by Newcastle as their new coach, although time is starting to run out a bit, so if it’s not today – it will presumably be tomorrow.

With Carver and Stone both being sacked  this afternoon, McClaren will have his own team – and hopefully we will know his coaching staff when the announcement is finally made.

We are hoping Steve McClaren will get the very best out of the Newcastle players he will inherit – and we have some good players in  Tim Krul, Daryl Janmaat, Jack Colback, Moussa Sissoko, Remy Cabella, Papiss Cisse and young Ayoze Perez.

In addition he will be working hard this summer with Lee Charnley and Graham Carr to bring in around six good players – and it will be very important that we have a good summer transfer window.

We must have  a much better season coming up than we’ve had over the last three seasons – since we finished 5th top back in 2012.

In the last three season we’ve just avoided relegation twice.

Here’s hoping.

Tags: Coaching · Head coach · Newcastle News · Prayer · Premier League

181 responses so far ↓

• 1 JamesToon // Jun 9, 2015 at 5:56 PM

I though Carr was technically our DOF?

If there is a brand new dof coming in, then ginola would be a good shout, not sure if they’d let him go but sir les ferdinand would be a good choice i think.

• 2 MacToon // Jun 9, 2015 at 5:57 PM

I hear what you (both) are saying but it’s not a surface thing for me. The season ends but there’s still a lot going on behind the scenes as far as I’m concerned but with the amount of “fans” being swayed by Ashley’s hollow words I wonder whether it’s worth while.

I do understand that like with Lilo not everyone is in Newcastle or available in Newcastle.

There were protests outside of SD again at the weekend but this time by anti-austerity group. Contact has been made with them
    Only a few days ago AO issued a template for fans to bombard the club’s sponsors with e-mails expressing their discontent.
    NUST continue their fight for fan ownership.
    In this age of the internet and medias such as twitter and facebook, there are no ends of expressing discontent of Ashley. MP’s are interested in Ashley, TV, radio, papers do not sleep in the off season.

It’s difficult seeing fans jumping around in joy at the likes of McClaren and certain players mentioned with us. How our ambition and expectations have fallen. That is not by accident either, another thing we should thank Ashley for.

Wait and see to me means we’re hoping for jam.

• 3 Belfast // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:01 PM

Interesting choice of picture Ed lol

• 4 Tsunki // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:03 PM

Blackley 🙂 I think most of us have that upgrade.

Hmm well …. Gazza. Difficult to gauge the opinion of the lad because we don’t know if this is the ex-pro best player of his generation or the loose wing nut who ordered Raoul Moats takeaway.

• 5 lesh // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:03 PM

And now we’re set to win the Champions League next year.

• 6 Tsunki // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:03 PM

Pay no attention Ed it’s not interesting at all.

• 7 Tsunki // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:04 PM

Actually gazza does look like a Vicar going to court….

• 8 Big Pappa Cissé // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:05 PM

Can’t be any worse than Carver, Stone & Pardew that couldn’t come up with one other set piece other than hitting it long to Willo in all their years at the club .

I reckon the team will be in for a shock when McLaren and the new backroom staff show up in training .

• 9 JamesToon // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:05 PM

by no means are people jumping for joy. It is just hope and optimism, it might very well end the same way it has done in the last 8 years, but the point is is that it appears there is change, firing carver and stone is a step forward. It gives us that little bit of hope that maybe, just MAYBE the club has a change of heart

• 10 GeordieTwo // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:06 PM

Another post already? Gazza likes Stevie M.? We’re hoping for jam?

• 11 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:07 PM

Where did they issue the template? I haven’t heard or seen anything regarding that, I was offline all weekend pretty much, but even so I would have expected to see something retrospectively. If it is on their website, it isn’t an obvious find.

I am a paid up member of NUST, and am fully behind the idea of fan ownership, although I think it will be very difficult to be implemented given the size and value of the Premier league nowadays.

People can express their disappointment, and from what I see on social media and blogs are still many expressing dismay/disgust/anger at Ashley. I personally don’t see this as a protest in the sense that many have been doing this for years, without other actions. If these sorts of things are what you mean by keeping up with the protests during the off season, then I fully agree.

I have no problem with people keeping up protests, and continuing to maintain pressure on the club, on Ashley, it can only be a positive thing in my mind, but for larger scale pressure then it is difficult for fans to unite until the season starts.

I think a strangely high amount of people read far too much into his TV ‘interview’, and I agree that did have an effect on animosity towards the regime, but unless he acts then it has bought him little time.

• 12 Belfast // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:07 PM

Looks like he’s trying his very best to walk in a straight line lol

• 13 MacToon // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:08 PM

I rest my case!

Gazza. Greatest English footballer of my generation imho.

• 14 lesh // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:08 PM

Naughty Tsunki.

Gazza’s capable and qualified to have an opinion without being ridiculed.

Give the lad a break, he’s got enough on his plate with his own problems.

• 15 GeordieTwo // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:08 PM

Gazza looks horrible. He needs some sun. Can you have him at your place Ibiza mate?

• 16 bettyswallocks // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:10 PM

Mac………… This is the first time since he bought the club that Ashley has spoken on the record.

More than likely it was a load of hot air but if we don’t give him at least until the start of the season to see what he actually does, it would be like him being the horse in front of the cart and us continually whipping him without allowing him to respond to the whipping.

• 17 GeordieTwo // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:11 PM

Ashley has bought himself zero time as far as I can tell. The only thing that will truly buy him time is quality football from the club. Hard, honest effort, wins on the pitch and ideally a real cup run to a semi-final at least. Harrumph.

• 18 BandB // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:12 PM

After eight years where we have seen the same promises of competing back at the top “if you just give us time” repeated over and over again, this club deserves the benefit of NO doubt.
    It deserves no-one demanding we all clamber on the positivity bandwagon at the first drip of melting ice.
    It’s time for Ashley to sh*t or get off the pot.
    He needs to get that message loud and clear.

• 19 Belfast // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:12 PM

I wouldn’t rest your case around here Mactoon someone will steal it.

• 20 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:12 PM

That sounds fine to me….

• 21 GeordieTwo // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:13 PM

I’ll cut him no slack until he builds a decent squad. Talk means nothing. Ashley has earned nothing from us yet. Get on with it Mike. We’re watching and waiting.

• 22 MacToon // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:15 PM

Lilo, I respect your opinion as I do some others here but it is a bit of a false representation of the fan base on this blog.
    I should know better by now and keep my distance. I make a joke remark and it is understandably missed as such and spend time arguing my position.

I wish I could feel optimistic but for years now I’ve seen Ashley ripping the fans off and for years they go back for more punishment.
    Maybe it’s a new dawn, McClaren is our knight in shining armour. Onwards and upwards.

• 23 GeordieTwo // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:15 PM

More players should be out the door. Willo for one. Sell him to a Championship side. The same with Saylor. He’s wasted enough club money on pointless wages while he sits with another injury. Obertan out as well. Forget getting anything for him, he’s useless.

• 24 Jail for Ashley // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:17 PM

Let us endure six months of defeat, lies and suspense and people will see the appointment of a sacked Championship manager as the start of a new era.

• 25 GeordieTwo // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:18 PM

If Ashley and co. are serious we’ll need to see radical surgery on this pathetic squad. It will take a huge effort and a lot of cash. I mean a lot. Two windows. I give them. Two windows to get a large part of it done and point the club in the right direction. If they just tinker at the edges it will tell us that nothing has really changed.

• 26 MacToon // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:23 PM

Funny how people didn’t see “I’m here until we win something” as the threat that it was –
    “will continue to invest”, well we never got the promised £20 mil/season so that equates to zilch then!

Hey Jail, too many are waiting and seeing and hoping for jam to be worried about a “more of the same” appointment.

• 27 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:24 PM

Lee Clark?

• 28 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:26 PM

I’m not really arguing with you, I don’t think that the fans will be as easily swayed this time. I hope that is the case anyway, it will be very disappointing if fans go in with the attitude of seeing how it plays out again, even if the squad is ill equipped.

We won’t know how much of an effect the fans have had on the situation regarding Ashley, so I don’t see why the pressure from social media and websites can’t be kept up. As I suggested long ago, joining with other groups protesting against SD was a no brainer. Especially after the further expose against SD. If that is starting to happen great, that is a huge positive for us and generally for working conditions of people in the UK.

As for McClaren, I see him as little more than a steady hand on the tiller. He certainly isn’t the ambitious move that those who heard Ashley’s interview in a positive light would expect. He is a continuation of mediocrity, an improvement on Pardew and Carver, but not a huge step forward.

• 29 bettyswallocks // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:26 PM

My main worry isn’t for Ashley’s feelings as he deserves all the cynicism that he has created.

The new kid on the block is Mc Claren whether we like it or not. He is not responsible for Ashley’s arsehole behaviour for the last eight years and whatever he is and has been , he doesn’t deserve to get tarred with Ashley’s brush.

At least until he has been given a chance.

• 30 Toon-Prodigy // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:27 PM

There is alot of talk about Lee Clark coming in as a number 2. I personally would be OK with that. He has had nothing to do with the current set-up and has 7 years in management also which is a jump up from Carver’s experience. I see that as an upgrade as a number 2 role and the fact he is a Geordie dosn’t come into my thinking, I couldn’t careless about that to be honest, just an upgrade from our outgoing number 2.

I think that would be an OK appointment and hope it comes off.

• 31 hibbit // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:28 PM

if Mc takes the job the coaches he brings in will tell us a lot about him

• 32 BandB // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:28 PM

I took him absolutely at his word.
    I must be right gullible, me.
    Should I have spotted he was talking through his arse?
    Eeeeh….you live and learn.
    Thank God for the gift of insight!

No rope. No hanging.

• 33 welshgeordie9 // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:31 PM

Jail for Ashley

Are you ever happy, ffs.

The manager is not even in yet and you already starting to moan.

• 34 GeordieTwo // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:32 PM

20M a year would get us nowhere anyway. We need an immediate spend of 50M or more for good players, not young untested kids from Europe. Then we would have to continue to spend, even to keep up with the mid table clubs. Is that going to happen? It’s not clear to me that it will. We could end up a perennial bottom 6 or 7 club with Ashley spouting nonsense each time we’re not relegated.

• 35 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:33 PM

As for Ashley’s staged interview/script reading/cosy chat, I don’t understand how anyone took positives from it. It baffles me that people read into it a promise of increased investment and a push for bigger signings and silverware. I saw no evidence of any of that, just a suggestion that he would continue to operate in the same way.

I’ve said this before, he knows the people of the north better than we think. We are generally a hopeful bunch, and he made such vague comments that he knew fine well that within some of the fan base it would blow on the dying embers of the hope for a change in direction. He knew that sufficient would take the message and run with it to cause divisions in the fan base once again.

• 36 GeordieTwo // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:34 PM

This next season should be Colo’s last with us as well. He can’t keep up with pacy players and he’s too small to handle big players in the box. He does pass the ball out well but that’s about it now. And he’s the core of our defense! Laughable really.

• 37 John Tudor // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:35 PM

dont bite ignore the muincher

• 38 Belfast // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:36 PM

Lee Clark is only under consideration because he’s a Geordie toon prodigy. Nowt to do with coaching ability. Pardew done the exact same thing with Carver.

• 39 GeordieTwo // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:36 PM

So look at the list of decent youngish talented players we have as it stands. It’s a fairly short list, which is ominous indeed. We just haven’t brought in the players we needed over the last 3 or 4 seasons. Don’t expect Ashley to make up for that with a big cash outlay now.

• 40 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:36 PM

My english is appalling tonight.

*that for some within the fan base, it would blow on the dying embers of hope

Anyway, fortunately for those that treasure the english language, I have got to go, time for 5 a side.

• 41 GeordieTwo // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:38 PM

In other words don’t count on us competing for a top 10 place next season, and we certainly aren’t going to win any silverware. It takes years of honest effort to build a winning side and we haven’t had that for the last 8 years.

• 42 BandB // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:39 PM

I deliberately took what he was saying at face value.
    As it was intended to be taken by most fans when his crisis management team wrote it for him.
    I think explaining it away as insignificant and containing no new promises and being something Ashley will be delighted to see his smarter critics doing.

• 43 GeordieTwo // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:39 PM

Honest effort that is. With the emphasis on HONEST Mike.

• 44 bettyswallocks // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:43 PM

I am sure that the majority of fans myself included don’t believe that Ashley was being sincere.
    Whether we believe him or not , we can’t react to his lies without following the process.

The process should not involve slagging off a new recruit who has played no part in the process to date.

• 45 MacToon // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:43 PM

I’ve read your comments on the interview before Lilo. There are few contributors like yourself who are worth the read and I’m pleased for that.
    However you are right, a little over-diplomatic maybe, in stating we’re a hopeful bunch.
    Ashley’s been exploiting that for years.
    The fact people are now arguing about giving him/them a chance shows he’s divided the fan base yet again as you say.
    People like myself, Jail, Bea, AO, NUST, TF etc might as well give up now……..
    Enjoy the 5 a side.

• 46 Tsunki // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:45 PM

Lesh that was Pokat talking not me. I’d never be that rude. I’d just wonder if Gazza was in command of his thoughts when he said it. Reasonable reservation I thought. Sorry he still looks like a dirty vicar ha ha

• 47 surreytoon // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:45 PM

Carver has left according to ITV, reported over an hour ago. No one noticed?

• 48 surreytoon // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:46 PM

And Stone.

• 49 rwpoynter // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:48 PM

Last I heard Ginola wanted to be in contention for Blatter’s job at FIFA. As for Lee Clark that is clearly McLaren’s call, but irrespective of him being a Geordie, he didn’t do a bad job at Huddersfield, at Birmingham he was starved of any funds at all and Blackpool were a lost cause before he took over, plus he knows the club. We could do a lot worse.

• 50 dok - the horrid colonial // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:49 PM

this song seems appropriate to play on SJP PA system during 1st preseason match:

all we are saying…

is give steve a chance…..

• 51 seantoon // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:49 PM

To be fair on Lee Clarke he can get teams playing good attacking football. I live in Huddersfield and he didn’t half turn them around and get them playing. He’s got a good eye for good young players too!

• 52 GeordieTwo // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:50 PM

Until I see a competitive team on the pitch with a manager who looks like he knows what he’s doing then it’s all just empty words. England down 1-0 to France in the first half. The English lasses don’t look good so far.

• 53 dok - the horrid colonial // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:54 PM

G2, maybe they need a honey badger down their pants?

• 54 Jail for Ashley // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:54 PM

From a PR/Propaganda perspective the use of the word Champions League in that interview was a master stroke.

• 55 Toon-Prodigy // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:56 PM

I think they could of took that into consideration also with him being a Geordie, but I still see him as an upgrade going forward if he was appointed as a number 2. I think it would be a good move for him also given the difficult jobs he has taken on lately. Im sure he has learnt alot and could do a good job as a number 2.

All speculation so far, but I would be for it.

It’s a fresh approach and I do feel he has the experience now for a number 2 role or a job somewhere within the club.

My only gripe would be if he lands himself in the same position as Carver with an ill equipped squad and poor injury list. He could find himself out of his depth if MA continues to run us theadbare and he is shunted forward as head coach.

But, as a number 2 or a role within the club I think that would be fine.

• 56 GeordieTwo // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:56 PM

At least one by the look of it Dok mate.

• 57 BandB // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:57 PM

This is how things work.

Ninety per cent of us say in polls we don’t want McClaren. No way, no how, never, never never!

We get McClaren.

Sixty per cent of people say “We have to get behind McClaren.”

Can you see why Ashley might think that fan discontent is like a wet f…lannel and not worth taking seriously again?

We didn’t choose McClaren, Ashley did. It’s his job to back him.

• 58 Jail for Ashley // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:58 PM

Surrey toon,
    He left ages ago, old news !

• 59 Mister Tuff // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:58 PM

When you consider our lowly league position – ie loads of teams better than us – who are all going to be spending their tv dosh on improvements – using that as a yardstick -it’s going to take some investment to get us back to a decent level.
    I hope there are no more duds and crocks bought and no bloody loanees.

• 60 Belfast // Jun 9, 2015 at 6:59 PM

Yes he did do a great job at Huddersfield Sean, but his managerial career after that has been a disaster. Didn’t win a home game at Birmingham for over 12 months at one point. Then he moved on to Blackpool and broke some other records there. Haven’t seen the bloke smile in about 4 years lol

• 61 GeordieTwo // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:01 PM

To build a good side from the rubbish we have now will take a miracle Mr. Tuff mate. And Ashley is no miracle worker. We’ll end up with loan players, free agents and young unproven continentals again.

• 62 Rotonda heights // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:03 PM

any more news on Meulensteen. Now that really would be good

• 63 GeordieTwo // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:04 PM

I can take it. The tougher it gets, the cooler I get.
    Who said the above? Mike Ashley? Close. It was Richard Nixon.

• 64 Toon-Prodigy // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:04 PM

To be fair, Birmingham and Blackpool give him nout and were clubs that were spiralling out of control. There is hell on in Blackpool and Oyston who has banked the money from their spell in the Premier.

Not quite fully upto date on the clubs but two very difficult jobs with nee dosh I think.

• 65 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:06 PM

Still digging Rotonda

• 66 Sazzer // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:07 PM

surreytoon you are like couple of Ed post late mate.

• 67 Jail for Ashley // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:07 PM

I spoke to some random scaffolder today who I’d seen around but not spoken to. Along with the rest of the black and white part of the North East he hated Mike Ashley, yet he thought that interview had showed ambition and Ashley had made promises. The ‘interview’ has been minutely dissected, how can anyone not tell it is worded in a way that doesn’t promise anything other than he’s not going anywhere.

• 68 Essex Geordie Bill // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:08 PM

I’m not too fussed if we don’t make any early signings.

I’d like our new manager whoever it might be, to have a good look at what we have, suss them out, and then get the right players to complement what we already have.

As someone already pointed out the ability has been leached out of the players we have by the poor coaching they have had.

There shouldn’t be any more players being offloaded until the new head coach has had the chance to look at the. We probably have some hidden gems just waiting for the right person to give them a polish!

• 69 Essex Geordie Bill // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:10 PM

‘Look at them’

• 70 giimps // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:11 PM

Just a thought, could schsteeve be brought in as Dof and Clarke as manager?

• 71 Rotonda heights // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:12 PM

willo and saylor should go now though, maybe even colo

• 72 Belfast // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:13 PM

Prodigy Gary Rowett took over from him and turned it around straight away with the same bunch of players at Birmingham.

Then 3 wins in 33 games at Blackpool.

He’s being considered for the same reason Carver was considered when Pardew took over.

Wouldn’t be that hard to find someone better like.

• 73 MacToon // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:15 PM

That promise sounded more like a threat to me mate.
    Was always told scaffolders were never as bright as sparkys! 🙂

• 74 Sazzer // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:19 PM

What is the point total between Clarke, McClaren and Carver in 2015?

• 75 toonicle // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:21 PM

If he can bring Clark in as the no. 2 I might just start feeling a little optimistic about this summer.

• 76 bettyswallocks // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:24 PM

Jail…….you’ve gone really sour mate. Have you had a sense of humour bypass. Nobody is suggesting that we have to accept Ashley’s shite for ever.

The awareness that’s been created means that we are in a much stronger position to oust him than we’ve ever been

Cheer up and get some craic going man.

• 77 Shadow_Shearer // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:29 PM

If Mashley really wants make changes & invest in players, why is there still so much emphasis on a gettin a head coach. Why can’t he just look for a manager

• 78 Belfast // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:29 PM

Here’s a great piece on Rene Meulensteen. Always makes me laugh.

• 79 Sazzer // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:30 PM

Let’s be truthful, we’re not going to go and outplay teams or outpass them. We need to have fight. Every game is a cup final mentally.” Lee Clark

• 80 optimistic prime // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:31 PM

Has Ian sent Carver a letter?

Thanking him for making Percy look good 😉

• 81 scottoon // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:31 PM

Some action at the top. After what we have assumed to be rhetoric and propaganda, we see some decisive and much needed action.

So JC and Stone are the fall boys. They had to be, after the most pathetic football we have ever been subjected to, and some of the most befuddling press bites. I for one was not convinced by Ashley and as days after WHU turned into weeks, I was sure that Carver et al were here to stay…either on their own or as Schteve’s less than inspiring staff.

So kudos to the string puller….whether Carr, or Charnley, or Ashley, or McClaren himself.

I remain to be convinced though. It is but a small step….albeit one in the right direction for a change. We now need to see a real indication of commitment to the fans by significantly augmenting the playing staff. An early marquee signing would be a good show of intent, and might go some miles to clearing the malaise that hangs around our club. But if I am to be convinced, that signing has to happen very soon, followed by other clear indications that there is indeed a culture shift afoot.

• 82 Toon-Prodigy // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:35 PM

Im up for it like. Obviously just as a number 2 though. With 7 years experience managing surely he must be able to do a decent job. It’s McClaren who would be barking out the orders and giving instructions anyway one would of thought.

It’s something I’d personally like to see. McClaren and Clark. Steve Black in the background.

Belfast, there is always that worry like that it would be to fill in should McClaren walk or sacked.

At the moment I just want to see players brought in and se who leaves.

It’s a waiting game to see if there is any intent to push the squad on.

• 83 Sazzer // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:36 PM

We should avoid Clark and Rene Meulensteen because we don’t want them as hc when McClaren leave in middle of season.

• 84 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:37 PM

Cole helping Bamford

• 85 lesh // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:41 PM

You suggesting that Pokat’s your alter-ego?

• 86 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:42 PM

We’ve got Van Ginkel apparently

• 87 Sazzer // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:45 PM

Georgios Georgiadis probably got the best record as manager among ex NUFC players. Our own Bilic, lol.

• 88 Sazzer // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:47 PM

Ginkel is probably replacement for Abeid.

• 89 Essex Geordie Bill // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:48 PM

You might well be right but Taylor has had so many injuries he hasn’t really had a chance to settle into the team for any length of time.

Williamson is a work horse sort of player that in the right set-up will do a job for any team.

It could be that our new HC can turn around our appalling injury record with new methods and training to actually get the best of our players, even the ones who looked rubbish under previous managers.

Who knows even Facunda might turn out to be a world beater.

I’m not completely serious with the last sentence!! 🙂

• 90 Lindisfarne // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:48 PM

HAZAR!!! HAZAR!!! HAZAR!!!

• 91 Rotonda heights // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:49 PM

meulensteen as a coach would make sense as we have krul, anita, Janmatt, De Jong and possibly Ginkel soon.

• 92 mactoon // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:52 PM

To be fair McClaren wouldn’t be my choice but given the restrictions Ashley has set for the head coach role then he is probably the best we are going to get unless David Moyes would take the job. The fact that Carver has been given the boot means that his statement that he would retain the remainder of his 8 year tenure is false so maybe, just maybe.. Ashley is changing the way things are run at the club.

Here’s hoping. #actionsspeaklouderthanwords

• 93 Lindisfarne // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:55 PM

Ups! Only 5 hours too late but I am clicking my heels and hopefully a sign of better things to come. The back of Carver and Stone should with any luck be the end of ‘the team looking like they are being trained rather than coached’, to quote George Cualkin.

• 94 tabuk toon army // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:55 PM

Im going to get slaughtered for saying this and im no Ashley fan Im also no Ashley hater however what lies did he ever tell us really? He said the club was a mess financially and it would be painful to sort out. He said he would bring stability to the club and he stood by Pardew when the easy way out would have been to sack him. He has taken risks with the target of putting a bankrupt club back in the black. I think his failure is he has surrounded himself with a poor management team. He now says we are in a position to punch above our weight in the transfer market. He says he is desperate now to win something where before he was willing to forego success for financial security. He e is probably responsible for the survival of the club although like everyone else i hate the team he has produced cant remember the last time i was proud of a performance. But i am willing to give him the chance to follow up on his promises in the famed interview he doesnt strike me as the type of guy who sets targets he doesnt intend to achieve. Right Guys go for it give me the shit im expecting

• 95 WWSBRD // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:57 PM

Well this has rather surprised me Carver and Stone gone interesting. Personally I’d like to keep Woodman was very highly rated as a coach when he came in and may get back to that when he’s under a bit of pressure

As for Ginkel I’d be happy with him if we have an option to buy if not there’s no point imo

• 96 scout // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:58 PM

Please take that photo of Gazza down. That isnt recent Ed. He’s looks a lot better than that.

• 97 Rotonda heights // Jun 9, 2015 at 7:58 PM

scrub that about meulensteen then! comes as a surprise though, because purely as a coach, ie not manager I had heard good things previously.

• 98 scout // Jun 9, 2015 at 8:00 PM

• 99 Rotonda heights // Jun 9, 2015 at 8:00 PM

under woodman, krul seems to have regressed horribly, alnwick was a total embarrassment and elliot looks 2 stone overweight!

• 100 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jun 9, 2015 at 8:05 PM

So now we just need the Fat one to sack Charmless! Surely he cannot point his action in January solely on Carver?

• 101 WWSBRD // Jun 9, 2015 at 8:07 PM

True but he is meant to be held in high esteem as a coach by a few, am not overly fussed if he leaves

Should just get Given or Harper back in to coach Krul, maybe Darlow as competition will help more than any of that though

• 102 Sazzer // Jun 9, 2015 at 8:07 PM

and hire Klopp.

• 103 Essex Geordie Bill // Jun 9, 2015 at 8:11 PM

To be honest I’m surprised that he hasn’t just sold up at a loss given the hostile and often quite sick comments that have been made against him.

I’ve been critical myself, but never to the point of wishing him real harm. Regardless of whether he deserves it or not.

I said many years ago that if we ever had real success under his ownership that many of his decriers would be asking him to be given the keys to the city.

If that actually happens remains to be seen but who knows, look what JC did with a few loaves and fishes,
    no not the recently sacked one.

• 104 bettyswallocks // Jun 9, 2015 at 8:12 PM

BandB……… Ok you may have a point that we shouldn’t play follow the leader if we disagree with the route he’s taking. But surely we can have an open mind on Mc claren if we can’t support him fully until Ashley plays the game.

It’s just a common courtesy thing of making someone feel welcome.

• 105 MADMAG // Jun 9, 2015 at 8:12 PM

@tabuk toon army
    I’m a long time lurker here and IMO that is one of the best posts I’ve read here amongst all the moaning and groaning

• 106 Essex Geordie Bill // Jun 9, 2015 at 8:13 PM

‘asking for him’ God I really need a proof reader!!

• 107 BandB // Jun 9, 2015 at 8:19 PM

I think the ball is in Ashley’s court. He needs to back his manager.
    All I hope is that the fans will hold on to their self-respect and not behave like giddy children over a very small first step.

• 108 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 9, 2015 at 8:19 PM

Tara Willo

• 109 Jail for Ashley // Jun 9, 2015 at 8:22 PM

‘Gone’ really sour, where have you been these last seven years ?

• 110 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jun 9, 2015 at 8:23 PM

Sazzer…now it’s all just getting to good to be true 😉 lol

• 111 Rotonda heights // Jun 9, 2015 at 8:24 PM

would love to see pav come back as the GK coach

• 112 bettyswallocks // Jun 9, 2015 at 8:27 PM

BandB……. You’re right but there has been such a drought of anything positive to latch onto for so long, there are a lot of thirsty people around.

He has nowhere to hide now with regard to recruitment as everything is documented and the quality will be scrutinised harder than ever before. So unfortunately that brings us back to wait and see.

By the way I do remember being rude to you a long while ago and would like to apologise. I didn’t realise you were as passionate about the club as you are. Sorry.

• 113 bettyswallocks // Jun 9, 2015 at 8:30 PM

Jail……. At least you could have a laugh back then. It was never going to be a quick job to remove fat boy but we are making progress. Keep smiling.

• 114 BandB // Jun 9, 2015 at 8:34 PM

Everyone at their own pace. I keep saying this will be a revolution that happens in peoples’ heads.
    Ashley understands strength. We need to keep the pressure on.
    That said, only a Puritan won’t be having a celebratory swig tonight.
    I certainly am.

• 115 Jail for Ashley // Jun 9, 2015 at 8:34 PM

tabuk toon army,
    I’m not going to slaughter you, I don’t have the energy. If you don’t know what lies have been told now, you won’t ever. Get on with it.

• 116 Jail for Ashley // Jun 9, 2015 at 8:35 PM

You’ve got me mixed up with somebody else

• 117 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 9, 2015 at 8:41 PM

Has Huddersfield got ant decent blogs? I’ve not seen any. The Examiner’s news headlines are usually about ex players and what they’re doing or about the groundsman’s cousin who has bought a lottery ticket. It’s a whole different world to NUFC.

• 118 stan anderson // Jun 9, 2015 at 8:43 PM

I was wrong about J.C.
    I just expect the worst from the slug and his asswipe Lee.C.
    Still expect to be let down as usually happens when they do something to please us.
    The asswipe should also get his P45 with the other 2 losers,after all he appointed J.C. to the job after all.

• 119 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 9, 2015 at 8:44 PM

You’ll not get some people to see Ashley as anything other than the devil just because he’s acted like the devil at times.

• 120 Jail for Ashley // Jun 9, 2015 at 8:44 PM

Desperate to win something. Shakes head before putting it in hands.

• 121 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 9, 2015 at 8:46 PM

Carver oot
    Stone oot
    Williamson going to Leeds

all we need is a decent manager and some players and it’s looking good

• 122 Lindisfarne // Jun 9, 2015 at 8:55 PM

Neil Redfearn in….Peter Beardsley oot. (please)

• 123 p // Jun 9, 2015 at 8:57 PM

I wonder if Charnley is next? If I was Mash, I would see the idiot implicit in almost losing me 50m quid.

Something funny about Carver releasing players, Charnley releasing Carver then, Mash releasing Charnley.

Probably not going to happen though unless he screws up this season.

• 124 Toon-Prodigy // Jun 9, 2015 at 9:01 PM

Someone has just told me we have had a 14m bid for Austin turned down? Apparantly they are holding out for 15? Does anyone know anything about this? Or can comfirm it as just a rumour?

• 125 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 9, 2015 at 9:01 PM

Circle of life P lol

• 126 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 9, 2015 at 9:02 PM

Not heard owt TP but i’ll keep my ear to ground

• 127 Jail for Ashley // Jun 9, 2015 at 9:02 PM

Then mashers turning the gun on himself.

• 128 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 9, 2015 at 9:03 PM

Think it’s guff tbh TP

• 129 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 9, 2015 at 9:07 PM

Aleksandar Mitrovic in an interview he’s just given
    Mitrovic: “Of the foreign clubs, but it’s no secret I like Newcastle and I loved and Alan Shearer

• 130 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jun 9, 2015 at 9:07 PM

We should offer the money plus give them Armstrong on loan for next season to secure Austin I think they will be good next season under Ramsey playing youngsters so Arma will get plenty of game time !

• 131 Toon-Prodigy // Jun 9, 2015 at 9:09 PM

14m and NUFC just don’t seem to go hand in hand under Ashley. I’ll take it with a pinch of salt. Just wanted to check I hadn’t missed anything.

• 132 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 9, 2015 at 9:10 PM

precisely TP but he sacked Carver so anything possible lol

• 133 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jun 9, 2015 at 9:11 PM

15 million for Austin
    10 million for Chicarito

• 134 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 9, 2015 at 9:13 PM

I get the feeling Carver and stone being sacked is the taster before St deadline day and then on deadline day McLaren will be announced with some players

• 135 seantoon // Jun 9, 2015 at 9:17 PM

@Blackley and Brownlie
    Try google datm

• 136 ronaldo aarons // Jun 9, 2015 at 9:24 PM

Why the dislike for Clark? His time at Blackpool should be written off really, he was on a hiding to nothing. I think it was only a couple days before the season started and Blackpool still didn’t have enough players to put out a team in the league. Everyone was practically the terrible freebies and loans. They had to rely on Nile ranger lol, that’s how desperate they were. He should never have went there but if you were to judge him on anything it would be Huddersfield and Birmingham. I thought he did well at Huddersfield and was unfairly sacked, I think he also had that 50 odd game unbeaten run. At Birmingham there was too much turmoil going on in the background that a young manager shouldn’t have had to deal with. He didn’t do too well but managed to just keep them up. I think he’s not a bad shout for a number 2, probably not my first choice. You sometimes need to have that young assistant with fresh ideas that you can bounce your thoughts off and who will actually input themselves rather than just being like ‘yeah boss’.

• 137 ronaldo aarons // Jun 9, 2015 at 9:27 PM

Although I’m glad to see that carver has gone I really do feel for him. I guarantee if they replaced pardew then carver would must likely be in a job. Which probably isn’t great but what gets to me is Charnley and Ashley’s incompetence cost someone their job and they can carry on doing what they’re doing.

• 138 WWSBRD // Jun 9, 2015 at 9:32 PM

Id have Pav back as well but I think Harps leaving has shown in all honesty, Id have him back if he is hanging up his gloves, though I have no idea if he is

Where u seen that?

• 139 Toon-Prodigy // Jun 9, 2015 at 9:33 PM

I think with my thoughts on a number 2, im trying to look at it under how this regime operate. If we are looking at McClaren as a number 1 then I feel Clark would be a reasonable and good shout as a number 2 also. We havn’t really pushed the boat out for our number 1 so im looking at potential number 2’s who might come. Im OK with McClarens appointment and would welcome Clark also. The more I read the more im taking to McClaren’s appointment. But, only because of how this regime do business and it could be a whole lot worse.

• 140 Sleepin Giant // Jun 9, 2015 at 9:34 PM

Well it’s a better end to the day than many of us expected. (omniscient bloggers excluded – you know who you are)

B&B 4:09 pm – totally agree and sums up my expectations perfectly.

1) McClaren is a much better coach than Pardew;
    2) McClaren has a much wider range of experience than Pardew;
    3) McClaren has won trophies and league titles even more highly prized than the coveted Johnson’s Paint Trophy.

He is a definite upgrade on his predecessor and I am pretty hopeful he can win us something and us end up 4-8th in the EPL places higher whilst playing more entertaining football than Pardew ever did. Not my first choice but there is method in his appointment.

Even better is the sacking of the third raters who’ve been running the first team, gives Steve a clean slate and removes the poison of poor expectations and JC’s dodgy tactics.

It is now up to Ashley to support him with a proper level of rebuilding funds and in the coaching regime changes. Even after 8 years the jury is still out on Ashley. He has yet to learn from his mistakes. He is not a quick learner. Any sniff of a half hearted response from him or one step forward two steps backward and renewed protests will be well justified.

• 141 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 9, 2015 at 9:37 PM

Latest rumour:
    Stuart Pearce to be assistant to McClaren

• 142 ronaldo aarons // Jun 9, 2015 at 9:37 PM

Just to comment on the players mentioned with newcastle today.
    Austin, get him. Phillips would be decent too.
    Armstrong loan him.
    Bamford no to loan and permanent. Ginkel only on a permanent, if a loan I’d prefer to play abeid more advanced.
    Abeid, how the f is he transfer listed. Under the right guidance he can be a complete midfield player. And I’ve said said that since day 1 when we signed him.
    Berisha, I have no idea on him.
    Concha, get him and develop him well. Got skills and ability.
    Mitrovic no thanks, don’t like him. Don’t think he’s that special tbh and he is definitely a bad apple.
    Ayew, have never been completely sold on him if I am honest. Comments from gignac didn’t help.
    Cabaye, we bloody told you!!!
    Don’t know if I missed anyone else, but I’m glad we didn’t get ings, I think he’s just mediocre and is another overrated Englishman.

• 143 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 9, 2015 at 9:38 PM

WWSBRD seen what?

• 144 Shadow_Shearer // Jun 9, 2015 at 9:40 PM

Gascoigne was prob drunk when he was watching McClaren training sessions. What exactly was it that was so brilliant 2 watch??

• 145 WWSBRD // Jun 9, 2015 at 9:41 PM

That Mitrovic quote but I found it from a interview he did way back when

• 146 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 9, 2015 at 9:43 PM

was on Twitter but in a video dated 9/6/15

• 147 ronaldo aarons // Jun 9, 2015 at 9:48 PM

Toon prodigy @ 138
    Yeah you’re right, within our structure mcclaren seems to be the best but he is someone I definitely wouldn’t have gone for. At least the ‘board’ wanted him and only him so they have got what they wanted. I’m definitely giving him a chance and my support. Clark would be a decent number 2 I think, not bad and not great. It really depends on how they click. I just ask for one thing for mcclaren… Play coloccini In his first match in charge. Sell him after I don’t care, I just want to see what toonbrother says lol.

• 148 WWSBRD // Jun 9, 2015 at 9:50 PM

Aye mate comes from a interview he did in 2013 mate

• 149 WWSBRD // Jun 9, 2015 at 9:51 PM

Haha cant tell I wrote that comment in two goes can ya

• 150 Sazzer // Jun 9, 2015 at 9:53 PM

True….Leeds after Willo.

• 151 lesh // Jun 9, 2015 at 9:56 PM

P, Tfl

Oh yes the irony and I wouldn’t be surprised if Charnley were reverted to his old role of Secretary if a new MD (Llambias?) came in.

I had a colleague who was Personnel Manager of an American company that announced it was to close the factory.

Anyway, he went through the process of telling a few hundred they were redundant and upon completion of the process, was called in by the MD – only to be thanked and told that he too was out too.

Hey ho, the irony.

• 152 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 9, 2015 at 10:00 PM

Here’s a laugh

• 153 lesh // Jun 9, 2015 at 10:06 PM

Stuart Pearce now for No2?

Both he and Clarke have had exposure to the realities of management – suggestions of succession planning?

Both of them former ‘Entertainers’ and either could be a good appointment. Maybe!

• 154 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 9, 2015 at 10:08 PM

possibly Lesh the speculation was entertaining but now getting on my nerves, just get it sorted!!!!

• 155 toon22 // Jun 9, 2015 at 10:11 PM

Stuart Pearce spent a long time with the U21s so he has first hand experience with alot of up and coming players.
    Clark is a no brainer,get him in.

• 156 p // Jun 9, 2015 at 10:12 PM

seems strange that there has been no formal announcement from club though, or denial.

maybe there is no one to make the announcement, Mash has sacked all of them too.

• 157 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jun 9, 2015 at 10:12 PM

Would be comforting if Charmless was released from duty…would mean you actually had to deliver some results to have a job at Newcastle;

…I don’t like this business model that has us run as some sort of charity organization for Geordies who doesn’t want to be out of a job or relocate to another city!

• 158 lochinvar // Jun 9, 2015 at 10:14 PM

132Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jun 9, 2015 at 9:11 PM
    15 million for Austin
    10 million for Chicarito

I thought Chicarito was an Abba song ?
    Happier days

• 159 Toon-Prodigy // Jun 9, 2015 at 10:14 PM

Wouldn’t knock Pearce either like, good shout.

• 160 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 9, 2015 at 10:16 PM

Deluded fans on twitter…..
    Jurgen Klopp has announced he will manage in Premiership and all Toon fans think he’s gonna be announced in the morning hahahaha

• 161 lochinvar // Jun 9, 2015 at 10:17 PM

Any news on some link with appointing new fitness / training coach who worked with Jonny Wilkinson ( and Falcons ? ) ?

Steady lads – almost feels like a drop of professionalism reaching SJP

• 162 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 9, 2015 at 10:18 PM

Steve Black lochinvar?

• 163 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 9, 2015 at 10:19 PM

He;s a sports psychologist who worked with wilkinson

• 164 lochinvar // Jun 9, 2015 at 10:20 PM

Klopp – who else has cleared the decks and has a vacancy ?
    West Ham have Bilic, Liverpool keeping Rodgers.

• 165 Toon-Prodigy // Jun 9, 2015 at 10:20 PM

That would certainly throw everyone for a loop I bet! Klopp!

• 166 p // Jun 9, 2015 at 10:21 PM

Actually if it wasn’t for the club being pony, the toon would be a good spot for Klopp. He might be more comfortable at a club where he can overachieve as the underdog.

Also, where else would he go? Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, Man Utd, Spurs and Liverpool are all out of the question for at least a year.

• 167 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 9, 2015 at 10:21 PM

As much as I would love Klopp highly unlikely don’t you think?

• 168 toon22 // Jun 9, 2015 at 10:22 PM

Professionalism imho is a step too far,its un obtainable.

• 169 lochinvar // Jun 9, 2015 at 10:22 PM

Steve Black – psychologist ?
    Does he work with fans as well?
    After last season feel like I need counselling !

• 170 Jail for Ashley // Jun 9, 2015 at 10:25 PM

I’ve just Googled that site of yours and the only record of it is through FB and here, how long are you going to shamelessly plug it. I was going to mention your constantly posting links, it wasn’t until Mactoon pointed it out that I realised that it’s always the same one. Bit naughty really !

• 171 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 9, 2015 at 10:25 PM

was Transfer Sage John Carver cos not seen him for ages

• 172 p // Jun 9, 2015 at 10:26 PM

aye, Klopp won’t happen because we have the village idiots running the club.

But if we didn’t, this would be a golden opportunity for a second tier club like Newcastle get what many consider to be a 1st tier manager.

• 173 ronaldo aarons // Jun 9, 2015 at 10:27 PM

Toon from Leeds at 160
    Has Klopp actually said that or is that part of a tweet suggesting he will manage in the prem in the future.

• 174 Jail for Ashley // Jun 9, 2015 at 10:28 PM

After what I heard Pearce saying on the radio a couple of months back I wouldn’t want him any where near the place.

• 175 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 9, 2015 at 10:28 PM

As I said earier JFA it’s not my site it is a favourite source, I share things I feel could be interesting. Like I said if they don’t interest you don’t click on them. Me and MacToon have sorted our differences.

• 176 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 9, 2015 at 10:29 PM

Ronaldo I think its part of the tweet u are talking about

• 177 ronaldo aarons // Jun 9, 2015 at 10:34 PM

Toon from Leeds
    Ok, that would make sense. I can’t find the quote like, I think I found a fake Twitter profile instead which had a couple photos of tuchel. That’s the man I wanted for us back in January. Also had a photo of ‘the yellow wall’, would live to go to dortmund just to see that.

• 178 Toon-Prodigy // Jun 9, 2015 at 10:34 PM

What was said? I’v always thought he came over quite well and positive.

• 179 123 Dummet Time // Jun 9, 2015 at 10:34 PM

Don’t get me wrong i am backing Mcclaren for the job to succeed (probs only the first game)
    But if he is allowed to bring in his own staff and have a say on transfers THEN why did the club turn away Remi Garde?

• 180 MacToon // Jun 9, 2015 at 10:37 PM

Oh have we? lol I still think it’s not good blog etiquette to use Ed’s blog the way you do. It aint difficult to hotlink your name but you point blank refused the idea. If you haven’t anything to do with the site then why persist linking every article? Strange tbh.

• 181 Munster Mag // Jun 9, 2015 at 10:37 PM

B and B ..

why so sensitive? I asked guys to be big enough to admit they were talking manure when they shouted that carver wud be boss. Many on this blog write crap and make definitive statements based on supposed knowledge of football or the club.

previous post: Joey Barton Key To Getting Charlie Austin To Newcastle

next post: Will Newcastle Want Yohan Cabaye Back On Tyneside?