McClaren’s Coaching Was Brilliant To Watch – I Thought – WOW

If the things we keep hearing about just how good Steve McClaren is on the training pitch,  then he will very quickly get the respect of the Newcastle players – and since Steve will have more than three weeks to prepare for the coaching  with his new coaching staff.

Hopefully it will be a tonic for the Newcastle players when they return from their summer break and get on the training field with their new head coach.

Paul Gascoigne

A recent photo of Paul Gascoigne

The latest star player to say how good Steve is in his coaching methods is former Newcastle and England star Paul Gascoigne, who had this to say to talkSPORT today:

“When Sven-Goran Eriksson was manager of England I went along to the camp, just to watch, and Steve McClaren took the training,”

“Some of the stuff he was doing on the training field was brilliant to watch. I thought, ‘wow, I didn’t know he was like that’. I didn’t realise how good he was as a coach.”

“As a manager, I don’t think he’s had a fair crack at any job either.”

Steve could still be announced today by Newcastle as their new coach, although time is starting to run out a bit, so if it’s not today – it will presumably be tomorrow.

With Carver and Stone both being sacked  this afternoon, McClaren will have his own team – and hopefully we will know his coaching staff when the announcement is finally made.

We are hoping Steve McClaren will get the very best out of the Newcastle players he will inherit – and we have some good players in  Tim Krul, Daryl Janmaat, Jack Colback, Moussa Sissoko, Remy Cabella, Papiss Cisse and young Ayoze Perez.

In addition he will be working hard this summer with Lee Charnley and Graham Carr to bring in around six good players – and it will be very important that we have a good summer transfer window.

We must have  a much better season coming up than we’ve had over the last three seasons – since we finished 5th top back in 2012.

In the last three season we’ve just avoided relegation twice.

Here’s hoping.

• JamesToon

Jun 9, 2015 at 5:56 PM

REPOST
    I though Carr was technically our DOF?

If there is a brand new dof coming in, then ginola would be a good shout, not sure if they’d let him go but sir les ferdinand would be a good choice i think.

• MacToon

Jun 9, 2015 at 5:57 PM

I hear what you (both) are saying but it’s not a surface thing for me. The season ends but there’s still a lot going on behind the scenes as far as I’m concerned but with the amount of “fans” being swayed by Ashley’s hollow words I wonder whether it’s worth while.

I do understand that like with Lilo not everyone is in Newcastle or available in Newcastle.

There were protests outside of SD again at the weekend but this time by anti-austerity group. Contact has been made with them
    Only a few days ago AO issued a template for fans to bombard the club’s sponsors with e-mails expressing their discontent.
    NUST continue their fight for fan ownership.
    In this age of the internet and medias such as twitter and facebook, there are no ends of expressing discontent of Ashley. MP’s are interested in Ashley, TV, radio, papers do not sleep in the off season.

It’s difficult seeing fans jumping around in joy at the likes of McClaren and certain players mentioned with us. How our ambition and expectations have fallen. That is not by accident either, another thing we should thank Ashley for.

Wait and see to me means we’re hoping for jam.

• Belfast

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:01 PM

Interesting choice of picture Ed lol

• Tsunki

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:03 PM

Blackley 🙂 I think most of us have that upgrade.

Hmm well …. Gazza. Difficult to gauge the opinion of the lad because we don’t know if this is the ex-pro best player of his generation or the loose wing nut who ordered Raoul Moats takeaway.

• lesh

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:03 PM

And now we’re set to win the Champions League next year.

😉

• Tsunki

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:03 PM

Pay no attention Ed it’s not interesting at all.

• Tsunki

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:04 PM

Actually gazza does look like a Vicar going to court….

😉

• Big Pappa Cissé

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:05 PM

Can’t be any worse than Carver, Stone & Pardew that couldn’t come up with one other set piece other than hitting it long to Willo in all their years at the club .

I reckon the team will be in for a shock when McLaren and the new backroom staff show up in training .

• JamesToon

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:05 PM

mactoon

by no means are people jumping for joy. It is just hope and optimism, it might very well end the same way it has done in the last 8 years, but the point is is that it appears there is change, firing carver and stone is a step forward. It gives us that little bit of hope that maybe, just MAYBE the club has a change of heart

• GeordieTwo

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:06 PM

Another post already? Gazza likes Stevie M.? We’re hoping for jam?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:07 PM

Mac,
    Where did they issue the template? I haven’t heard or seen anything regarding that, I was offline all weekend pretty much, but even so I would have expected to see something retrospectively. If it is on their website, it isn’t an obvious find.

I am a paid up member of NUST, and am fully behind the idea of fan ownership, although I think it will be very difficult to be implemented given the size and value of the Premier league nowadays.

People can express their disappointment, and from what I see on social media and blogs are still many expressing dismay/disgust/anger at Ashley. I personally don’t see this as a protest in the sense that many have been doing this for years, without other actions. If these sorts of things are what you mean by keeping up with the protests during the off season, then I fully agree.

I have no problem with people keeping up protests, and continuing to maintain pressure on the club, on Ashley, it can only be a positive thing in my mind, but for larger scale pressure then it is difficult for fans to unite until the season starts.

I think a strangely high amount of people read far too much into his TV ‘interview’, and I agree that did have an effect on animosity towards the regime, but unless he acts then it has bought him little time.

• Belfast

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:07 PM

Looks like he’s trying his very best to walk in a straight line lol

• MacToon

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:08 PM

I rest my case!

Gazza. Greatest English footballer of my generation imho.

• lesh

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:08 PM

Naughty Tsunki.

Gazza’s capable and qualified to have an opinion without being ridiculed.

Give the lad a break, he’s got enough on his plate with his own problems.

• GeordieTwo

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:08 PM

Gazza looks horrible. He needs some sun. Can you have him at your place Ibiza mate?

• bettyswallocks

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:10 PM

Mac………… This is the first time since he bought the club that Ashley has spoken on the record.

More than likely it was a load of hot air but if we don’t give him at least until the start of the season to see what he actually does, it would be like him being the horse in front of the cart and us continually whipping him without allowing him to respond to the whipping.

• GeordieTwo

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:11 PM

Ashley has bought himself zero time as far as I can tell. The only thing that will truly buy him time is quality football from the club. Hard, honest effort, wins on the pitch and ideally a real cup run to a semi-final at least. Harrumph.

• BandB

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:12 PM

betty,

After eight years where we have seen the same promises of competing back at the top “if you just give us time” repeated over and over again, this club deserves the benefit of NO doubt.
    It deserves no-one demanding we all clamber on the positivity bandwagon at the first drip of melting ice.
    It’s time for Ashley to sh*t or get off the pot.
    He needs to get that message loud and clear.

• Belfast

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:12 PM

I wouldn’t rest your case around here Mactoon someone will steal it.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:12 PM

betty,
    That sounds fine to me….

• GeordieTwo

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:13 PM

I’ll cut him no slack until he builds a decent squad. Talk means nothing. Ashley has earned nothing from us yet. Get on with it Mike. We’re watching and waiting.

• MacToon

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:15 PM

Lilo, I respect your opinion as I do some others here but it is a bit of a false representation of the fan base on this blog.
    I should know better by now and keep my distance. I make a joke remark and it is understandably missed as such and spend time arguing my position.

I wish I could feel optimistic but for years now I’ve seen Ashley ripping the fans off and for years they go back for more punishment.
    Maybe it’s a new dawn, McClaren is our knight in shining armour. Onwards and upwards.

• GeordieTwo

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:15 PM

More players should be out the door. Willo for one. Sell him to a Championship side. The same with Saylor. He’s wasted enough club money on pointless wages while he sits with another injury. Obertan out as well. Forget getting anything for him, he’s useless.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:17 PM

Let us endure six months of defeat, lies and suspense and people will see the appointment of a sacked Championship manager as the start of a new era.

• GeordieTwo

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:18 PM

If Ashley and co. are serious we’ll need to see radical surgery on this pathetic squad. It will take a huge effort and a lot of cash. I mean a lot. Two windows. I give them. Two windows to get a large part of it done and point the club in the right direction. If they just tinker at the edges it will tell us that nothing has really changed.

• MacToon

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:23 PM

Funny how people didn’t see “I’m here until we win something” as the threat that it was –
    “will continue to invest”, well we never got the promised £20 mil/season so that equates to zilch then!

Hey Jail, too many are waiting and seeing and hoping for jam to be worried about a “more of the same” appointment.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:26 PM

Mac,
    I’m not really arguing with you, I don’t think that the fans will be as easily swayed this time. I hope that is the case anyway, it will be very disappointing if fans go in with the attitude of seeing how it plays out again, even if the squad is ill equipped.

We won’t know how much of an effect the fans have had on the situation regarding Ashley, so I don’t see why the pressure from social media and websites can’t be kept up. As I suggested long ago, joining with other groups protesting against SD was a no brainer. Especially after the further expose against SD. If that is starting to happen great, that is a huge positive for us and generally for working conditions of people in the UK.

As for McClaren, I see him as little more than a steady hand on the tiller. He certainly isn’t the ambitious move that those who heard Ashley’s interview in a positive light would expect. He is a continuation of mediocrity, an improvement on Pardew and Carver, but not a huge step forward.

• bettyswallocks

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:26 PM

My main worry isn’t for Ashley’s feelings as he deserves all the cynicism that he has created.

The new kid on the block is Mc Claren whether we like it or not. He is not responsible for Ashley’s arsehole behaviour for the last eight years and whatever he is and has been , he doesn’t deserve to get tarred with Ashley’s brush.

At least until he has been given a chance.

• Toon-Prodigy

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:27 PM

There is alot of talk about Lee Clark coming in as a number 2. I personally would be OK with that. He has had nothing to do with the current set-up and has 7 years in management also which is a jump up from Carver’s experience. I see that as an upgrade as a number 2 role and the fact he is a Geordie dosn’t come into my thinking, I couldn’t careless about that to be honest, just an upgrade from our outgoing number 2.

I think that would be an OK appointment and hope it comes off.

• hibbit

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:28 PM

if Mc takes the job the coaches he brings in will tell us a lot about him

• BandB

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:28 PM

I took him absolutely at his word.
    I must be right gullible, me.
    Should I have spotted he was talking through his arse?
    Eeeeh….you live and learn.
    Thank God for the gift of insight!

No rope. No hanging.

• welshgeordie9

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:31 PM

Jail for Ashley

Are you ever happy, ffs.

The manager is not even in yet and you already starting to moan.

• GeordieTwo

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:32 PM

20M a year would get us nowhere anyway. We need an immediate spend of 50M or more for good players, not young untested kids from Europe. Then we would have to continue to spend, even to keep up with the mid table clubs. Is that going to happen? It’s not clear to me that it will. We could end up a perennial bottom 6 or 7 club with Ashley spouting nonsense each time we’re not relegated.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:33 PM

Mac,
    As for Ashley’s staged interview/script reading/cosy chat, I don’t understand how anyone took positives from it. It baffles me that people read into it a promise of increased investment and a push for bigger signings and silverware. I saw no evidence of any of that, just a suggestion that he would continue to operate in the same way.

I’ve said this before, he knows the people of the north better than we think. We are generally a hopeful bunch, and he made such vague comments that he knew fine well that within some of the fan base it would blow on the dying embers of the hope for a change in direction. He knew that sufficient would take the message and run with it to cause divisions in the fan base once again.

• GeordieTwo

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:34 PM

This next season should be Colo’s last with us as well. He can’t keep up with pacy players and he’s too small to handle big players in the box. He does pass the ball out well but that’s about it now. And he’s the core of our defense! Laughable really.

• John Tudor

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:35 PM

dont bite ignore the muincher

• Belfast

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:36 PM

Lee Clark is only under consideration because he’s a Geordie toon prodigy. Nowt to do with coaching ability. Pardew done the exact same thing with Carver.

• GeordieTwo

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:36 PM

So look at the list of decent youngish talented players we have as it stands. It’s a fairly short list, which is ominous indeed. We just haven’t brought in the players we needed over the last 3 or 4 seasons. Don’t expect Ashley to make up for that with a big cash outlay now.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 9, 2015 at 6:36 PM

My english is appalling tonight.

*that for some within the fan base, it would blow on the dying embers of hope

Anyway, fortunately for those that treasure the english language, I have got to go, time for 5 a side.

1 2 3 5