The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Steve McClaren Announced As New Head Coach

6:33 pm, Wednesday, June 10th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 32 Comments

Newcastle have just announced Steve McClaren as Newcastle’s new head coach along with a change in the Board of Directors that we just reported on.

Looks like we got that in the wrong order!

steve mcclaren

Steve McClaren – our new head coach – that was a surprise

Here is the statement released by Newcastle United:

Newcastle United are delighted to announce the appointment of Steve McClaren as the Club’s new head coach. McClaren joins United on a deal for an initial term of three years, which could be extended to eight.

Managing Director Lee Charnley said:

“From my first meeting with Steve I knew he was the perfect fit for Newcastle United.” “I am delighted that we have secured the services of one of the best coaches in English football.”

“He has 20 years’ experience, including for the national team and at the highest level of European competition. His most notable achievements include winning the Eredivisie with FC Twente and guiding Middlesbrough to a League Cup win in 2004 and to the final of the UEFA Cup in 2006.”

“He has a proven track record of being an innovative and forward-thinking coach and developing and improving players, which was a key quality we sought in the individual to fill this role.”

“Steve also brings with him a great enthusiasm and passion for the job, the Club and the city, which he articulated to me very clearly from the outset.”

“This is a huge job which comes with considerable pressures and I am convinced that Steve not only understands the weight of expectation that comes with this role, but that he has the strength of character and professionalism befitting of a club of our size and status.”

“Steve has been tasked to secure a top-eight finish in the Premier League and he is also heavily incentivised to try to win a cup competition.” “We recognize supporters’ strong desire to win a trophy.”

“It’s an ambition which the Club now shares as Mike Ashley made clear in his comments on the final day of the season. Steve is excited by this and he has our full support in trying to achieve this goal.”

“Our immediate focus will be on working with Steve to assess and improve upon our playing squad, as well as appointing individuals to his backroom staff.”

Speaking of his appointment, McClaren said:

“I am privileged to be appointed head coach of Newcastle United. This is a big club with a wonderful heritage.” “St. James’ Park is like a cathedral on a Saturday afternoon, a symbol for the city and I am excited to be given this opportunity.”

“I know how important Newcastle United is to the city and the region.” “The supporters are some of the most loyal, passionate and devoted in the world. Despite everything they maintain their faith. We owe it to them to do everything we can to reward them with success.”

“There’s a lot of work to do, but the Club has made it clear about wanting success and I would not have come here if I didn’t believe they were serious.” “This Club has waited far too long to win a trophy. That’s one of my primary objectives here.”

“I’ve already won trophies as a manager, and a club the size of Newcastle United should be winning cups and finishing in the top eight in the Premier League.” “I’m determined to give the supporters of Newcastle United a team they can be proud of.”

“The hard work starts now.”

Those are good words from both Steve McClaren  and Lee Charnley  and  there is definite follow-through on what Mike Ashley said to Sky Sports an hour before the final game of the season, when he said he wanted to win a trophy.

This is a big change at Newcastle.

It seems like Steve’ backroom staff is still being sorted out, but it should be very good one, and we really hope that Steve and his coaches can get the very best out of the players we already have – they are much better than they showed this year in those final 20 games of the season.

This does seem like a new beginning at Newcastle,  but it couldn’t have been much worse in that second of the season when we nearly took the drop.

With McClaren said to be an excellent coach and no doubt putting together a top class coaching team for Newcastle, it looks like we will make a real effort to win something next season, and we are aiming for a top eight finish – none of this top ten nonsense any longer.

That in itself shows a new ambition at the club that we are targeting top eight.

We still need to hear what Steve’s coaching team will be, and we expect Steve to now be hard at work with Lee and Graham Carr getting some good players through the door.

Let’s hope this really is a new era beginning at Newcastle, where at least the club now acknowledges it wants to win something.

That’s a big change in itself.

Tags: Board of Directors · Coaching · Head coach · Management · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

32 responses so far ↓

• 1 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 10, 2015 at 6:34 PM

Heaf Coach?

TBF McClaren sounds passionate

• 2 LGFUAD21 // Jun 10, 2015 at 6:37 PM

Right. Now that’s confirmed. Let’s get on with some transfers and some grafting on the training pitch.

Steve has said the right things. Now he has to get the support of the fans and the board to deliver.

I have no doubt in mcclarens ability. Let’s just hope everything falls into place for him to be a success.

• 3 Average_Contents // Jun 10, 2015 at 6:38 PM

Our size and status? Don’t make me laugh you no necked pencil pusher. Because of your twat of a boss we’ve been overtaken by the likes of Southampton, Stoke, Swansea, West ham and crystal palace to name a few ffs.

U suppose looking at it like that then shteve is on our level.

• 4 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jun 10, 2015 at 6:39 PM

Steve Black has left QPR – is he on his way to the TOON?

• 5 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 10, 2015 at 6:41 PM

The funnies start

• 6 AMEOBI // Jun 10, 2015 at 6:41 PM

Well I’m very happy that we now have him. Seems he’d be eager to show he’s the right choice since we’ve chased him 4 times haha.

He’s a big admirer of bamford from Derby and Nottingham forrest, now that should be a signing for us. Well I for one am behind him. Exciting

• 7 geordiemark // Jun 10, 2015 at 6:41 PM

we have to give McClaren a chance to sort a total mess left by ex managers and so called coaches, lets see if Ashley will back his manager up with top class players and no more crap from abroad, still do not trust Ashley at all though time will tell

• 8 p // Jun 10, 2015 at 6:42 PM

you have it all wrong, the first thing he needs to do is shave that silly hair cut off.

Get a Steve Stone style shaved heed

• 9 JamesToon // Jun 10, 2015 at 6:43 PM

Steve Black has left QPR and expected to be appointed soon

• 10 Average_Contents // Jun 10, 2015 at 6:45 PM

Note the words – now shares.

Basically just admitted it again that they were never arsed. Just for those who didn’t believe it previously and there were many I might add despite it being stated over and over again.

I can’t actually remember him saying he wanted to win something, just mumbling he wouldn’t sell until we did.

Guff penfold. Of the highest order.

Please prove me wrong.

• 11 soundoid // Jun 10, 2015 at 6:48 PM

Well we have it in writing. We’re going for a cup. So we can wave goodbye to weakened sides in cup matches? If not we have a stick to beat them with.

• 12 Sazzer // Jun 10, 2015 at 6:50 PM

• 13 Sazzer // Jun 10, 2015 at 6:51 PM

Sports Direct are happy with the pictures.

• 14 Lindisfarne // Jun 10, 2015 at 6:53 PM

I am sure SMC gave the kind of passionate speach when he joined Derby, just needs to convince some players over the line now.

I also wonder if the will be a new Director of Finance employed and given a position on the Board, or has Lee taken on a large proportion of tthose responsibilities and shunted some his off to Moncur and Carr.

• 15 cyprus // Jun 10, 2015 at 6:54 PM

Steve, all good, but… 4. Top 4 is what I want. CL football.
    Or, if you wish, there’s another way. Win the Europa and that gives me CL football as well.

Cups would be nice, but top 4 is where it’s at.

Good luck. Get to work now:

Suggested agenda, for starters:

Session one: how to score goals
    Two: what to do in set plays
    Three: the art of defending

• 16 Our Toon // Jun 10, 2015 at 6:56 PM

Sorry chaps bit if they say they are looking for top 8 finish and a trophy then I smell bullshit, wasn’t long ago we were rumoured to be after 6 players. Already short from last season and add Jonas along Raylor as gone then really we need more than 6…..alot more

• 17 LGFUAD21 // Jun 10, 2015 at 6:57 PM

I image that’s is what will happen. Didn’t he used to be secretary?

I am hoping its a good thing having Steve on the board as well.

Means he will have a good hand in transfer targets of not the last say.

I want to know who his back room staff are going to be now.

And transfers.

• 18 John Tudor // Jun 10, 2015 at 7:00 PM

will you be conned again

• 19 welshgeordie9 // Jun 10, 2015 at 7:01 PM

Average_Contents // Jun 10, 2015 at 5:51 PM

I’m good mate. Hopefully starting the new job on Monday. Depends if they can oust the Welsh troll from under the bridge ????

Really average, copying off Mister Meldrew because you can’t think of anything yourself, not very creative are you.

• 20 Bambams // Jun 10, 2015 at 7:01 PM

Well spotted AC

They need to learn from ALL the mistakes.

Biggest problem we have and a few have mentioned this. …..
    “Our club are now known for lacking ambition” how can we change this ‘tag’. They won’t do it offering huge wages ( just not ash way).

So how do we tempt the type of player we want, offer them we will sell them if a bigger fish comes along.

Hope I am wrong, would love to have a team to be proud of.

• 21 LGFUAD21 // Jun 10, 2015 at 7:02 PM

Top 8 May not be our ambitions as fans but I think if we get too 8 next season that’ll be progress

So long as the target is top6 the season after.

• 22 welshgeordie9 // Jun 10, 2015 at 7:02 PM

Another excellent signing by swans.

• 23 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 10, 2015 at 7:04 PM

Rhetoric starts

• 24 Douglas // Jun 10, 2015 at 7:04 PM

I’ve been thinking all day that a significant remaining problem is Charnley remaining on the board. I’d rather he carried Carvers suitcase as he went with him. However, Moncur, Carr, SM: there might just be enough football nouse on the board.

• 25 NezzaNUFC // Jun 10, 2015 at 7:06 PM

I wouldn’t get to excited lads/lasses, first we need signings and with every other club bringing in good players ( Swans, WHU ) I feel that we would wait ( as usual )

If Austin signs for us and Newcastle pay the actual asking price we may be going in the right direction but until then hold your hopes until we see something .

• 26 Douglas // Jun 10, 2015 at 7:10 PM

How about a place on the board for Shearer?

• 27 John Tudor // Jun 10, 2015 at 7:12 PM

pay your tax lionel or it will get messi

• 28 why oh why // Jun 10, 2015 at 7:13 PM

I was impressed with what SM had to say
    Also happy with him and moncur being appointed to the board

• 29 nightfa11 // Jun 10, 2015 at 7:14 PM

“Mclaren is perfect for us”

Cheap and yes..I guess I agree with baldy..

• 30 why oh why // Jun 10, 2015 at 7:18 PM

He knows what he wants
    And I’m sure he will do well
    Clarke lpavel Watson and black
    Will be his back room staff hopefully
    Jus need to get rid of woodman now because he did bott all for krul

• 31 scottoon // Jun 10, 2015 at 7:20 PM

Underwhelmed at the appointment, but admittedly surprised by the assertions that we are going to attempt to win something. The proof will be in the pudding when we see a line up for the first cup match. Not holding my breath though.

I may be swayed further if the club starts making some significant signings. Austin would be a good start but there is so far to go….so many serious holes in the squad….that it will take at least four prominent additions before I start to think the commitment to win something is more than just rhetoric.

• 32 lochinvar // Jun 10, 2015 at 8:02 PM

Like the photo

What Company is “Spor Rect ” behind his heid ?

previous post: Newcastle Announce New Board Of Directors