The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Can Steve McClaren By Successful At Newcastle?

2:17 pm, Thursday, June 11th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 23 Comments

We finally got the announcement of Steve McClaren as the new head coach and the surprise to us is just how many players who have played under him in their careers say he’s just a great coach – and those now include former Newcastle players Alan Shearer, Michael Owen and Joey Barton.

steve mcclaren nufc4

Steve McClaren – new Newcastle head coach

Lee Charnley did follow up on what Mike Ashley said on May 24th, and Newcastle’s target for next season is now a top eight in the Premier League, and with an added emphasis on trying to win one of the local cup competitions in England.

The Newcastle Board of Directors has also been reshuffled and now consists of Lee Charnley, Graham Carr, Steve McClaren and Bob Moncur, with no Mike Ashley to be seen,  and that seems like a good Football Board to us – and those four should be able to work very well together for the benefit of the club.

Let us know if you think Steve McClaren can be successful as Newcastle’s head coach.

Can Steve McClaren Be Successful At Newcastle?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Head coach · Newcastle News · Poll · Pre-season · Premier League

23 responses so far ↓

• 1 NezzaNUFC // Jun 11, 2015 at 2:22 PM

Depends on who we bring in.

Bas dos isn’t all that in my view, tall target man but that’s all he offers height, could be good concerning sey pieces but if Newcastle are planning on bringing Austin in I don’t see them pairing well of I’m honest.

• 2 Lindisfarne // Jun 11, 2015 at 2:23 PM

How much have we got to spend?

• 3 Toon-Prodigy // Jun 11, 2015 at 2:23 PM

McClaren wants Ince according to SSN

• 4 NezzaNUFC // Jun 11, 2015 at 2:24 PM

Set pieces

• 5 catchy in norway // Jun 11, 2015 at 2:25 PM

we have 3 football people on the board, that a massive step forward.

and the fact that Steve is on it means he will have a say in who is coming in and going out.

more good news

• 6 davetoon // Jun 11, 2015 at 2:26 PM

@Nezza assume you dont watch any Bundesliga then

• 7 Slank // Jun 11, 2015 at 2:27 PM

‘…wants Ince according to SSN’

Father or son or both ?

• 8 Toon-Prodigy // Jun 11, 2015 at 2:27 PM

I hope he does. It’s who has the final say which is the concern for me.

I’d take Ince like.

• 9 NezzaNUFC // Jun 11, 2015 at 2:29 PM

I do mate and he’s not that impressive, he would be good here if Pardew was still here with his hoofball tactics

• 10 Toon-Prodigy // Jun 11, 2015 at 2:30 PM

It’s both, sorry mate! Haha.

Serious though, I think he could do a job at NUFC. Is he ready made though for Premier League at the moment?

• 11 WWSBRD // Jun 11, 2015 at 2:33 PM

People talking about Dost needing assistance up top well in all fairness Cabella was an assist machine not too long ago, Janmatt did well in that department this season, Colback equaled his tally, Aarons is still a huge question mark across the board, De Jong similar, Sissoko in there so if we actually start playing like a team with decent football Dost would have plenty of chances….Cisse scored 11 in 22 with poor service

• 12 Slank // Jun 11, 2015 at 2:35 PM

‘..How much have we got to spend?..’

It all depends I suppose as there is money in the bank even without money from the sale of players. I wouldn’t be surprised if Sissoko departs. He is the one player we can live without and get a financial windfall. Also, Ashley is prepared to fund purchases but is this within the current constraints of the European Fair Play Rules or the proposed relaxing of the same rules ?

• 13 Munster Mag // Jun 11, 2015 at 2:36 PM

Toon Prodigy, could back to the english + character nonsense again , I know what you are saying but no prem league team of note is english at the core . You could argue that Chelsea have two english centre backs, and its a fair point but i think the rest are foreign. Man City was pretty much all foreign when they won the league. Who could we refuse out of players like Kompany, Zabaleta, Nasri, Silva, Aguero, Hazard, Zouma, Fabregas etc . Englishness is largely irrelevant now, once the player speaks english well. How often have you seen english teams underperform at major championships, despite the so called spirit. Its all mythical mate.

• 14 croftus5678 // Jun 11, 2015 at 2:39 PM

seen dost play twice and both times he’s def caught my eye ! for such a big lad he really puts himself about i’d be very very happy with signing him as i think he’s borderline too good for us.

i’d also take tom ince the lad had lots of promise a year or so ago and created lots as well as scoring when at blackpool and he’s far better than obertan even though he is still young.

• 15 swemag // Jun 11, 2015 at 2:40 PM

Tiote feels like a forgotten man. Used to be one of our leading players, now there isn’t even any speculation about his transfer.
    If he came back to his best and Cabella start delivering what we expect, then maybe Sissoko can go and sit on the bench in London somewhere and we will get 15 million.

• 16 Mister Tuff // Jun 11, 2015 at 2:41 PM

I see Mr Tubbs has won an injunction against Rangers in respect of them not being allowed to reveal the business dealings between SD and the Club. Strange as I’m sure it must be all above board!!!!!

Decent article in the Northern Echo about yesterdays shut out of the press and about communication by the club – echo’s ( no pun intended) my thoughts exactly – and I wonder if their really is change at SJP. Link to article:-

Finally seems one or two bloggers are getting over excited about potential developments/signings etc etc.
    I’m reserving judgement until we see something tangible. Can Tubbs really change – million dollar question for me.

• 17 davetoon // Jun 11, 2015 at 2:42 PM

@Nezza I think Bas Dost could do well in the premier league. He has a presence and a great record and knows how to get on the end of a ball.
    Although if we bought him and played him one isolated upfront like Cisse had to put up with under Pardew, then maybe yeah youre right

• 18 Tsunki // Jun 11, 2015 at 2:42 PM

No sorry Steve – toilets 2nd on the left, first lefts the cupboard we keep Tiote in. Easy mistake.

• 19 Mister Tuff // Jun 11, 2015 at 2:42 PM

error their = there.

• 20 will die for the toon army // Jun 11, 2015 at 2:44 PM

He will b success. Top 10 may b. CUP am not sure.

The players he brings in is very important.

• 21 Tsunki // Jun 11, 2015 at 2:45 PM

Mr T – exactly. The ‘press partner’ nonsense sounds like same old monkey business. The proof of this pudding etc….

• 22 Slank // Jun 11, 2015 at 2:45 PM

Yes I agree that Englishness is largely irrelevant.

The Premiership teams that have won the league title and cups have been made up of mixed nationalities.

The key is the head coach/manager getting them to gel together and work as a unit and giving them the confidence and determination to win matches.

• 23 Toon-Prodigy // Jun 11, 2015 at 2:45 PM

I’v really touched a nerve here havn’t I? Lol.

I suppose we are just going to have to wait and see if it benefits our squad or not, NUFC are looking to build a more English base within the squad according to McClaren.

No, I wouldn’t knock back those players, not at all, but we could never get them also, we get a Gouffran, Sissoko and Cabella.

Austin and Ince I’d take as a decent start to the rebuild, but there needs to be more brought in also.

previous post: Newcastle Reported In Talks With Dutch International Striker