The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Shearer – McClaren Was The Best Coach I Ever Trained With

8:16 am, Thursday, June 11th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 11 Comments

In his interviews yesterday after he was appointed as Newcastle’s new head coach, Steve McClaren reveled that Newcastle had been after him a few times over the last eleven years – and their first approach for him was back in 2004, when Sir Bobby Robson was sacked – but Steve was at Middlesbrough at the time and not available.

steve mcclaren

Steve McClaren yesterday

Former Chairman Freddy Shepherd thinks bringing in McClaren right now is a great move by the club, and this is what he told the Chronicle yesterday just before Steve was officially announced:

“I applaud Newcastle for bringing McClaren in. I think it’s a great move,” “Alan Shearer persuaded me to have a meeting with McClaren 10 years ago.”

“We tried to steal him from Middlesbrough. Alan at the time had said that he was the best coach he had ever trained with. I might have been ahead of my time!”

“He’s a great guy, but unfortunately he was unable to get released by Middlesbrough at the time.” “I think he is strong enough. I think he will work his own way and won’t be anyone’s fool.”

“I think they Newcastle always had Steve in mind, but negotiations went on a bit longer than anybody thought. But who cares? They’ve got the right guy in my opinion.”

That’s the first time we knew Alan Shearer had said that – and since he had just two years tleft in his career back in 2004, and that was with Graeme Souness as the manager, maybe McClaren was the best coach Alan Shearer ever trained with.

McClaren still has to persuade a lot of Newcastle fans he is the right guy for the job, and we keep hearing from various former players – now Alan Shearer via Freddy’s comments above – that he is a great coach.

What we don’t understand is why he hasn’t got a much better management record than he has at this point in his career.

Hopefully whatever was lacking in the past when he had his failures, can be corrected at Newcastle, maybe by having a much better coaching staff than  he’s ever had before.

Certainly there are a lot of good coaches want in at Newcastle right now, and that’s always a very good sign.

Tags: Coaching · Head coach · Management · Newcastle News · Premier League

11 responses so far ↓

• 1 optimistic prime // Jun 11, 2015 at 8:27 AM

Except for Carver

• 2 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 11, 2015 at 8:28 AM

When is Cisse’s contract up? I think that could have a major bearing on whether he stays this summer. I wouldn’t be too disappointed if he left, but we would then need another striker bought so we aren’t left short, and Arma can go out on loan to get game time.

As for Sissoko, I’d just let him go. He wants to stay another year so he gets game time and can play in the Euro’s, then he wants out. Sorry, but I’d rather see him out now if that is his attitude. He isn’t even that good. He wants to play Champions League but can’t at Newcastle, they could have just left it at ‘He wants to play Champions League but can’t’.

• 3 hibbit // Jun 11, 2015 at 8:29 AM

the most important think today is who Mc brings in for his staff then players get rid of watson and beardsley ASAP and start a fresh new broom and all that

• 4 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 11, 2015 at 8:31 AM

As for £100million or £50million, the actual figure spent isn’t the main issue. Liverpool spent £70million on Carrol, Downing and Henderson not so long ago. Plus another £15million on Jo Allen. It isn’t necessarily how much you spend, although more money should open doors to better quality, it is more how well you spend it.

If we spend £50million well, it is better than £100million spent badly.

• 5 croftus5678 // Jun 11, 2015 at 8:36 AM

@2 lilong

i’ve no idea m8 but yes good points i agree with all that.

• 6 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 11, 2015 at 8:36 AM

Gazzette reporting that Clarkie won’t get the job, but Paul Simpson will. Don’t know much on Simpson’s style, but he has been an utter failure as a manager almost everywhere he has done that. Doesn’t make him not a good coach mind. Would prefer Round, hopefully he will come in as part of the back room staff even if not as No. 2.

• 7 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 11, 2015 at 8:38 AM

I get the impression Clarkie was playing the long game by trying to get on the back room staff. Management experience at Championship level would have put him in pole position for McClaren’s job if/when he left, given the clubs willingness to promote from within.

• 8 croftus5678 // Jun 11, 2015 at 8:41 AM

i’m no sheep and always thought imo macca was avg and no better or worse than pards was so imo no improvement but steady mid table club yet again !

however i’m finding myself being swayed by the opinions or players and former players who have worked with him now and i’m starting to believe that this is a very good thing as the one thing we lacked last year was character and commitment and the fact we couldnt defend for toffee and by the sounds of it macca could solve all this.

• 9 nut meg // Jun 11, 2015 at 8:43 AM

I’d certainly let him go. I think there’s far too many people,pundits,ex players included who don’t seem to know the difference between style & substance,for my money Sissoko is mostly style.Get rid & use the money to bring somebody else in.
    100% correct IMHO.

• 10 optimistic prime // Jun 11, 2015 at 8:57 AM

I’m pretty sure Cisse has 1 year left on his contract.

• 11 rwpoynter // Jun 11, 2015 at 1:53 PM

The great Jackie Milburn once said about management, and I think he managed Ipswich and Linfield, always make sure you inherit well. Steve McLaren has inherited a lot better here than he would have done at Nottingham Forest or Derby. Would Mourinho or Pellegrini have done as well if they had gone to Burnley or QPR?

previous post: Charlie Austin Is WillIng To Join Newcastle