The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Great Win Against Hammers And Atmosphere – Convinced McClaren

5:27 pm, Thursday, June 11th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 13 Comments

That final game of the season when our Premier League lives were at stake was something to behold, and the passion of Newcastle United came across that TV screen full blast – and the celebrations after the two goals was something to behind – and cherish.

We will never ever forget Jonas Gutierrez’ goal and the wild celebrations that followed that – Jonas – what a hero – what a legend he has become over his final two years at the club.

jonas gutierrez

What a moment this was – Jonas after scoring second goal

That’s how we felt when we finally won that game 2-0 and kept our Premier League status after it looked very possible that we could have been relegated after being in 9th place half-way through the season.

That win was accompanied by Mike Ashley’s comments before the game – well-timed indeed – that he now wanted to win a trophy at Newcastle – which was a real change in his ambition for the club.

Throughout the game there were shots of Mike Ashley as we missed chance after chance, and the tension and disappointment on his face was there for all to see.

It seems that Steve McClaren himself also got that passion coming across his TV screen as he also watched the game – and it seems to have convinced him about Newcastle United.

This is what he said to Simon Board in an interview in the Chronicle today:

“Big screen, sound on full blast! I went wow, there is a football club. No one is going to beat them. Everyone was together. What came first? The players and the attitude they had? Or the crowd? It works together.”

“I have experienced it in that opposition dug out. When that happens you have no chance.” “I thought keep that…. every Saturday let’s have that. With the resources, recruitment and expertise we can get that. It excites me.”

“It is a unique stadium, a unique atmosphere. When it is up, wow, it is a hard place to come to and that is something that needs to be recreated. It is a nightmare for opponents.”

“I want to ensure fans turn up and are proud of the team. That is what I will try to build. Before, after and during a game, win,  lose or draw, I want to be proud of them.”

“When you get that you can achieve.”

Steve’s right about that –  Newcastle is a unique club – and we are hoping we can begin a new era where we can even by successful again – certainly there are signs of change – and they are for the better – at the club.

Here’s hoping.

Can Steve McClaren Be Successful At Newcastle?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Head coach · Management · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League

13 responses so far ↓

• 1 SUTTY1978 // Jun 11, 2015 at 5:30 PM

He hasn’t done any interviews with the chronicle , only with sky & the mirror, the chronicle is just regurgitating

• 2 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 11, 2015 at 5:31 PM

I think we all know the dangers. I think most of us (well me at least) are doing a bit of “what if he does buy decent players” and then airing who we think those plays could/should be.

But i wont be holding my breath.

• 3 Mr Magpie // Jun 11, 2015 at 5:32 PM

Mr Magpie // Jun 11, 2015 at 5:31 PM

I would prefer as strikers Charlie Austin to Bas Dost, then would like to see real ambition shown in going for Javier Hernandez from Man Utd. Think they would make a good partnership. Guidetti in on a free from city as back up alongside Perez & Rivierre.

In midfield Van Ginkel from Chelsea on a loan with an option to buy inserted would be good, Matt Phillips from Qpr, Townsend from Spurs on the wings.

If we can get the big money offer in then Sissoko can go for me then replace him with Winjaldum from Psv. Bakkali in on a free from Psv who is full of potential & could be a future star but think he is interesting Man Utd so would be a bit of a acoup.

In defence Richards in on a free from Man City, Van Dijk from Celtic, Jenkinson from Arsenal or Trippier from Burnley at right back competition with Janmaat, Mings from Ipswich or Willems fromPsv to challenge Haidara at left back,

Not a huge outlay but would vastly improve our first team & i dont think any of those players are realistically out of our reach.

• 4 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 11, 2015 at 5:34 PM

Sutty Cronic did do an interview
    Mark Douglas ?@MsiDouglas · 36 mins36 minutes ago
    So myself & @SimonPryde spoke to McClaren today. Link to Q & A to follow-on strikers, playing style & getting to the bottom of injury probs

• 5 SUTTY1978 // Jun 11, 2015 at 5:35 PM

Getting a bit concerned that every player we are linked with have either:
    Just been relegated
    Couldnt get into a relegated team
    Played 90% of their careers at A lower level
    A bit crap

• 6 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 11, 2015 at 5:36 PM

Mr M

Jenkinson and Townsend might pose a few problems, but the rest are gettable imo

• 7 SUTTY1978 // Jun 11, 2015 at 5:38 PM

TFL – fair enough, but that’s not it! The article even says it’s an interview with Simon Board, which I think is meant to read Simon Bird, who works for the mirror and was the focus of JFK’s legendary rant!

• 8 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 11, 2015 at 5:40 PM

Sutty I thought Simon Bird was in the inbetweeners lol

this is the interview:

• 9 Mr Magpie // Jun 11, 2015 at 5:41 PM

Yeah townsend & Hernandez might be a bit tricky but with the chance of first team football on offer they could be convinced.
    Jenkinson would be good but he has a battle to displace Janmaat so might be harder to convince.

• 10 Lindisfarne // Jun 11, 2015 at 5:41 PM

Slank (previous)

More of a rhetorical question really. I know you shouldn’t answer a question with a question but who knows if SMC will be a success, it highly depends on NUFC spending a large amount of money.

• 11 SUTTY1978 // Jun 11, 2015 at 5:45 PM

Either Simon Bird is a busy chap or there are two of them!

• 12 Lindisfarne // Jun 11, 2015 at 5:51 PM

I’ll try and ring round to speak to them. Steven Taylor is here now so I’ve caught up with him.

HA! Now that does not surprise me, do they actually let him out of the physio room?

• 13 mickalfas // Jun 11, 2015 at 7:10 PM

Sounds great,hope fatty shares his enthusiasm
    Hoping for a vast improvement,but not holding my breath
    Please don’t build our hopes up and get some players in,actions speak louder than words ,doesn’t impress when freebies are too expensive. Ffs

previous post: Newcastle Can Be A Top Club In Europe – We Must Pull Together