Steve McClaren About To Make This Shock Move?

It must be another summer transfer window,  because we have again  been linked with a move for 26 year-old Andy Carroll, our former top striker, and there are reports doing the rounds that new head coach Steve McClaren wants to bring Andy Carroll back to Newcastle.

Britain Soccer Premier League

Andy Carroll – while he was at Newcastle

It’s well known that since Andy left Newcastle four and a half years ago for £35M he has been troubled by a series of long-term injuries, which saw him playing only 14 times for the Hammers last season with 5 goals.

In fact in the three seasons he’s been at West Ham, he has made only 54 appearances with 14 goals so he’s been missing more than half of each of those seasons because of injury.

That’s not good production for a player who’s supposed to be on close to £100K/week in wages,  and if he is made available this summer will depend on what new West Ham manager Slaven Bilic’s plans are for next season and whether he will play to Carroll’s strengths.

The rumors are being generated because of  Steve McClaren’s mention of wanting a real number 9 style player for next season, which he alluded to in an interview with the Chronicle yesterday:

“This crowd has always had a number nine-style player and it’d be great to get one of them in.”

“Believe me, every manager would say they want to build this exciting team that attacks all the time and scores goals. “Ultimately though, you want to build a team that wins.”

We’re in the results business – there are different ways to achieve that and different styles. “Sometimes you have to be pragmatic and work with what you have.”

But Charlie Austin plays in the old-fashioned center-forward style, and he would be a great signing for us – if we can get him through the door.

Andy is a very good player when he’s fit, and he showed that last season when he looked very good as the West Ham number 9 – but he’s not available for even half a season – because of injuries.

So that would be a negative if Newcastle were to pay out a big fee and big wages to bring the Gateshead lad back home.

Given all of that what do you want to see?

Should Newcastle Sign Andy Carroll This Summer?

Loading ... Loading ...

• Average_Contents

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:21 AM

Ed man, sort these fcuking adds and diversions to apps out please it’s getting tedious now.

Fcuking racing post and some shitty game are making my eyes bleed.

• camas

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:25 AM

Maybe buy Carrol and Austin. They would be a handful for any team.

• hibbit

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:27 AM

andys not interested in returning to the north very happy with his essex girl and london………. on 105k a week with 2 years to go no chance…….. more like pardue and palace

• Spoof

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:28 AM

@1

google adblock plus, it gets rid of the lot and it is safe.

• hibbit

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:28 AM

AC i down loaded add blocker plus no more problems

• beermonkey

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:28 AM

hibbit

caroll has 4 years I think he signed a 6 year deal

average

are u on a phone or mobile device

• hibbit

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:30 AM

beer laptop

• beermonkey

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:30 AM

average

u don’t need my advice its the same as the others

• Average_Contents

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:30 AM

Has anyone else noticed that recent chronicle pieces have not had a comments section?

Purely coincidental that the trinity mirror group who have previously been critical of the regime are all of a sudden spewing out articles without one bad word said. Just the odd pointer to previous mistakes.

Obviously being the preferred media partner means they are no longer impartial and are in bed with the slug.

I wonder what you’d get to sell your dignity?

• Average_Contents

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:32 AM

*I wonder how much dignity is worth

• Spoof

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:37 AM

Average_Contents

They do have a comments section, I think your laptop/device whatever your using needs looking at.

• beermonkey

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:38 AM

average

I was just thinking
    I really hope McLaren has some stuff in writing
    he must know whats gone on in the past
    he is in the media and saying all the right thing
    I can just see the club pulling the rug out from underneath him and hanging him out to dry

• Average_Contents

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:38 AM

Thanks guys. Shouldn’t have to download fcukall though should we. Ed should sort it.

Plus I ain’t got much memory left on the phone and don’t want it taken up with apps I shouldn’t have to download to come on a football blog.

Ironically I’ve had to write this again as I’ve just been bombarded with the fcukers lol.

• WLtoon

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:41 AM

Cant believe we hav,nt been linked with Messi or Aguero, we,ve been linked with everyone else.
    I wonder if Mac is having difficulty narrowing this LINE that everyone at the club keeps harping on about

• Average_Contents

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:47 AM

Spoof

I wondered that myself ie if it was my phone or not but I’d never not been able to see the comments section before and it’s only started since they decided to not report anything bad.

Anyway my point still stands. Looks like the trinity group had their orders sent down to the chronicle and in return they got a exclusive with shteve yesterday. After the main paper the mirror of course. Behave or you’ll get banned again lol.

I can’t remember the chronicle journos acting the same way as others who weren’t invited and they’ve mentioned nothing of it since. Mark Douglas is usually pretty honest in his assessments but nothing from him only coverage of shteve.

• JP...from The Rock

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:50 AM

OMG FFS NOT THIS SICK NOTE AGAIN!!!!! We sign Carroll and we’re screwed again and going nowhere. He’ll get injured in his firet day and be out for months! FORGET THIS FOOL ALREADY!!!

• onepeterb

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:53 AM

Average
    That would suggest that the remainder of the press are also (negatively) impartial probably correct

• Average_Contents

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:53 AM

Beermonkey

That’s the main worry isn’t it. We’ve heard it all before and I’m yet to be convinced as I view shteve’s appointment as a side step tbh and I see promoting him, Moncur the arselick and evergreen Carr to the board as a gimmick if truth be told.

I mean Moncur? Finger on the pulse he has not. I suppose it’s a small change but yes men all the same. If McClaren had any balls whatsoever he’d of demanded he speak to all press who wanted to attend instead of being gagged. Not a good start really was it lol.

• Average_Contents

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:54 AM

Anyway I’ve got TV brackets to put up and the grass to cut. Not enjoying this out of work lark 🙁

• Magpie Season

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:58 AM

Average_Contents,

Mate, you getting pop-up ads or just the hyperlink ones displayed on the site?

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:59 AM

A_C,
    I wasn’t convinced at all by Ashleys interview but the things Mclaren has been saying don’t seem to have any double meanings and he can be held accountable if they don’t come off, the club and Mclaren have made some very bold statements we can only wait until August 31st to see if they mean it.

• JackButler

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:01 AM

If we could get Carrol for a stupidly low price then fine.

Otherwise we need to let this one go and move on

• barkel

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:01 AM

AC

Why would he make such a demand?

Option 1: Hey steve, these are our preferred media partners, they’re going to be friendly and ask straight forward questions.

Option 2: Hey steve here’s a load of reporters that are going to ask you all about Ashley & the fans protest and other things that have gone on before you arrived and have no control over.

Well that’s my opinion on it anyway. Right or wrong I know which I’d prefer a few hours into my new high profile job

• Average_Contents

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:01 AM

Pop ups and re-directs to the Google play store. Some shitty gummy game and racing post. Been like this for a good few weeks but it’s getting beyond a joke now. Every fcuking 5 minutes lol

• Magpie Season

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:03 AM

Alan Pardew when he was first appointed manager in 2010:

“I have always managed teams that have played attacking positive football, something I know the supporters here appreciate.

At the same time I intend to focus on developing exciting young players through the club’s excellent Academy and development squad, and I know the board here at St James’ Park are very committed to that too.”

Link: news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/9267960.stm

I wouldn’t trust anything McClaren says until it’s been done. Can’t wait for the League Cup 3rd round Steve.

• NezzaNUFC

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:03 AM

Morning guys.

Why is it every season we are linked with AC?

Has he even put in a full season? in fact has he even put in half a season or even quarter of a season?

Waste of time! and I think 98% of fans wouldn’t want him back at Newcastle.

• archaeomag

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:03 AM

Maybe the WWB has healing hands.

• JackButler

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:03 AM

AC

If you are getting pop ups and are using google cgrome, then install ad-block from the link below, works fine with me

• NezzaNUFC

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:08 AM

All these strikers we are linked with what about defenders?

We need new defenders not 10 strikers!

• DisillusionedMagpie

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:08 AM

AS
    You can’t download chrome adblock on a phone but if you go to Google play store and download an app called Block it! , that will do the job just fine.

• Average_Contents

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:11 AM

Barkel

Totally get that but isn’t that his job? To deal with hard questions? Especially since they’ve/we’ve got every right to ask them after what’s gone on?

In that case he’s agreed to the clubs mantra of secrecy and what we say goes. To me anyway.

Jfa

Time will tell but we’ve heard it all before from the previous manager.

I’ll concede that McClaren has expanded slightly on cups and league placing but the proof will be in the pudding so to speak. I’m not holding my breath. Otherwise I’d die.

All I read from the slugs clearly staged interview was he wasn’t leaving until we won something.

I hope I’m wrong and we do invest massively because let’s face it, it’s needed after years of none. Again I won’t hold my breath (I’m sure some on here wouldn’t mind if I did)

• JackButler

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:12 AM

NezzaNUFC

My biggest worry is that we go into the new season with Colo, Willo and Saylor.

We need to ship one out, preferably Colo and bring in two new center halfs

• Blackley and Brownlie

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:14 AM

Average
    I had all that sh1t on my android until I switched to the desktop version of this site. I had more this morning when I visited The Mag. The bastards who are doing this should face criminal charges. No joking. Eh, Tuff?

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:15 AM

No. He wont stay fit. He cant. Half a season? Thats optomistic, ED!

I think he is a very good player, but 4 or 5 games is not worth a fee.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Magpie,
    I don’t think many people do trust them, it was different with Pardew, Ashley hadn’t been sussed by the vast majority back then and people were prepared to give him a chance thinking that a multi billionaire would want a successful team. I don’t think he’ll be given more time if this all turns out to be bull.

• Average_Contents

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Magpie season

My point exactly. We’ve got previous for managers promising this and that and then when it’s not delivered saying it’s ok and even backing the decisions.

It’s just words. All these links to players are just guess work from the papers and rumour mills and people are wetting their knickers over it. Some even exploding in their pants 😉

Until I see some action (obviously he’s only just arrived so time is needed) then I’m inclined to go off past history especially since we’ve had our fingers burnt before.

To me that’s not being negative it’s being realistic.

• Average_Contents

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:20 AM

Definitely off now I’m gonna get aggro if my chores ain’t done 😉

Thanks for the advice regarding ad blockers.

Laters

• sks_toon

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:26 AM

JackButler
    I agree in addition to the 2 strikers. and a good distributor MF, we need 2 CBs. We already have Lascelles but I would still like to bring in 2 more CBs. I would part with Willo though before Collocini who if he is a reserve would do better for us I think with enough rest.

• davetoon

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:26 AM

Imagine comparing old sick note to Bas Dost.
    please Ed please

• Laurent Robert 32

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:29 AM

I don’t know if it’s been posted, I haven’t seen it on here, but the True Geordie’s thoughts on McClaren pretty much mirror my own once again: