The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Steve McClaren About To Make This Shock Move?

9:13 am, Friday, June 12th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 131 Comments

It must be another summer transfer window,  because we have again  been linked with a move for 26 year-old Andy Carroll, our former top striker, and there are reports doing the rounds that new head coach Steve McClaren wants to bring Andy Carroll back to Newcastle.

Britain Soccer Premier League

Andy Carroll – while he was at Newcastle

It’s well known that since Andy left Newcastle four and a half years ago for £35M he has been troubled by a series of long-term injuries, which saw him playing only 14 times for the Hammers last season with 5 goals.

In fact in the three seasons he’s been at West Ham, he has made only 54 appearances with 14 goals so he’s been missing more than half of each of those seasons because of injury.

That’s not good production for a player who’s supposed to be on close to £100K/week in wages,  and if he is made available this summer will depend on what new West Ham manager Slaven Bilic’s plans are for next season and whether he will play to Carroll’s strengths.

The rumors are being generated because of  Steve McClaren’s mention of wanting a real number 9 style player for next season, which he alluded to in an interview with the Chronicle yesterday:

“This crowd has always had a number nine-style player and it’d be great to get one of them in.”

“Believe me, every manager would say they want to build this exciting team that attacks all the time and scores goals. “Ultimately though, you want to build a team that wins.”

We’re in the results business – there are different ways to achieve that and different styles. “Sometimes you have to be pragmatic and work with what you have.”

But Charlie Austin plays in the old-fashioned center-forward style, and he would be a great signing for us – if we can get him through the door.

Andy is a very good player when he’s fit, and he showed that last season when he looked very good as the West Ham number 9 – but he’s not available for even half a season – because of injuries.

So that would be a negative if Newcastle were to pay out a big fee and big wages to bring the Gateshead lad back home.

Given all of that what do you want to see?

Should Newcastle Sign Andy Carroll This Summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Andy Carroll · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

131 responses so far ↓

• 1 Average_Contents // Jun 12, 2015 at 9:21 AM

Ed man, sort these fcuking adds and diversions to apps out please it’s getting tedious now.

Fcuking racing post and some shitty game are making my eyes bleed.

• 2 camas // Jun 12, 2015 at 9:25 AM

Maybe buy Carrol and Austin. They would be a handful for any team.

• 3 hibbit // Jun 12, 2015 at 9:27 AM

andys not interested in returning to the north very happy with his essex girl and london………. on 105k a week with 2 years to go no chance…….. more like pardue and palace

• 4 Spoof // Jun 12, 2015 at 9:28 AM

@1

google adblock plus, it gets rid of the lot and it is safe.

• 5 hibbit // Jun 12, 2015 at 9:28 AM

AC i down loaded add blocker plus no more problems

• 6 beermonkey // Jun 12, 2015 at 9:28 AM

hibbit

caroll has 4 years I think he signed a 6 year deal

average

are u on a phone or mobile device

• 7 hibbit // Jun 12, 2015 at 9:30 AM

beer laptop

• 8 beermonkey // Jun 12, 2015 at 9:30 AM

average

u don’t need my advice its the same as the others

• 9 Average_Contents // Jun 12, 2015 at 9:30 AM

Has anyone else noticed that recent chronicle pieces have not had a comments section?

Purely coincidental that the trinity mirror group who have previously been critical of the regime are all of a sudden spewing out articles without one bad word said. Just the odd pointer to previous mistakes.

Obviously being the preferred media partner means they are no longer impartial and are in bed with the slug.

I wonder what you’d get to sell your dignity?

• 10 Average_Contents // Jun 12, 2015 at 9:32 AM

*I wonder how much dignity is worth

• 11 Spoof // Jun 12, 2015 at 9:37 AM

Average_Contents

They do have a comments section, I think your laptop/device whatever your using needs looking at.

• 12 beermonkey // Jun 12, 2015 at 9:38 AM

average

I was just thinking
    I really hope McLaren has some stuff in writing
    he must know whats gone on in the past
    he is in the media and saying all the right thing
    I can just see the club pulling the rug out from underneath him and hanging him out to dry

• 13 Average_Contents // Jun 12, 2015 at 9:38 AM

Thanks guys. Shouldn’t have to download fcukall though should we. Ed should sort it.

Plus I ain’t got much memory left on the phone and don’t want it taken up with apps I shouldn’t have to download to come on a football blog.

Ironically I’ve had to write this again as I’ve just been bombarded with the fcukers lol.

• 14 WLtoon // Jun 12, 2015 at 9:41 AM

Cant believe we hav,nt been linked with Messi or Aguero, we,ve been linked with everyone else.
    I wonder if Mac is having difficulty narrowing this LINE that everyone at the club keeps harping on about

• 15 Average_Contents // Jun 12, 2015 at 9:47 AM

Spoof

I wondered that myself ie if it was my phone or not but I’d never not been able to see the comments section before and it’s only started since they decided to not report anything bad.

Anyway my point still stands. Looks like the trinity group had their orders sent down to the chronicle and in return they got a exclusive with shteve yesterday. After the main paper the mirror of course. Behave or you’ll get banned again lol.

I can’t remember the chronicle journos acting the same way as others who weren’t invited and they’ve mentioned nothing of it since. Mark Douglas is usually pretty honest in his assessments but nothing from him only coverage of shteve.

• 16 JP...from The Rock // Jun 12, 2015 at 9:50 AM

OMG FFS NOT THIS SICK NOTE AGAIN!!!!! We sign Carroll and we’re screwed again and going nowhere. He’ll get injured in his firet day and be out for months! FORGET THIS FOOL ALREADY!!!

• 17 onepeterb // Jun 12, 2015 at 9:53 AM

Average
    That would suggest that the remainder of the press are also (negatively) impartial probably correct

• 18 Average_Contents // Jun 12, 2015 at 9:53 AM

Beermonkey

That’s the main worry isn’t it. We’ve heard it all before and I’m yet to be convinced as I view shteve’s appointment as a side step tbh and I see promoting him, Moncur the arselick and evergreen Carr to the board as a gimmick if truth be told.

I mean Moncur? Finger on the pulse he has not. I suppose it’s a small change but yes men all the same. If McClaren had any balls whatsoever he’d of demanded he speak to all press who wanted to attend instead of being gagged. Not a good start really was it lol.

• 19 Average_Contents // Jun 12, 2015 at 9:54 AM

Anyway I’ve got TV brackets to put up and the grass to cut. Not enjoying this out of work lark 🙁

• 20 Magpie Season // Jun 12, 2015 at 9:58 AM

Average_Contents,

Mate, you getting pop-up ads or just the hyperlink ones displayed on the site?

• 21 Jail for Ashley // Jun 12, 2015 at 9:59 AM

A_C,
    I wasn’t convinced at all by Ashleys interview but the things Mclaren has been saying don’t seem to have any double meanings and he can be held accountable if they don’t come off, the club and Mclaren have made some very bold statements we can only wait until August 31st to see if they mean it.

• 22 JackButler // Jun 12, 2015 at 10:01 AM

If we could get Carrol for a stupidly low price then fine.

Otherwise we need to let this one go and move on

• 23 barkel // Jun 12, 2015 at 10:01 AM

AC

Why would he make such a demand?

Option 1: Hey steve, these are our preferred media partners, they’re going to be friendly and ask straight forward questions.

Option 2: Hey steve here’s a load of reporters that are going to ask you all about Ashley & the fans protest and other things that have gone on before you arrived and have no control over.

Well that’s my opinion on it anyway. Right or wrong I know which I’d prefer a few hours into my new high profile job

• 24 Average_Contents // Jun 12, 2015 at 10:01 AM

Pop ups and re-directs to the Google play store. Some shitty gummy game and racing post. Been like this for a good few weeks but it’s getting beyond a joke now. Every fcuking 5 minutes lol

• 25 Magpie Season // Jun 12, 2015 at 10:03 AM

Alan Pardew when he was first appointed manager in 2010:

“I have always managed teams that have played attacking positive football, something I know the supporters here appreciate.

At the same time I intend to focus on developing exciting young players through the club’s excellent Academy and development squad, and I know the board here at St James’ Park are very committed to that too.”

Link: news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/9267960.stm

I wouldn’t trust anything McClaren says until it’s been done. Can’t wait for the League Cup 3rd round Steve.

• 26 NezzaNUFC // Jun 12, 2015 at 10:03 AM

Morning guys.

Why is it every season we are linked with AC?

Has he even put in a full season? in fact has he even put in half a season or even quarter of a season?

Waste of time! and I think 98% of fans wouldn’t want him back at Newcastle.

• 27 archaeomag // Jun 12, 2015 at 10:03 AM

Maybe the WWB has healing hands.

• 28 JackButler // Jun 12, 2015 at 10:03 AM

AC

If you are getting pop ups and are using google cgrome, then install ad-block from the link below, works fine with me

• 29 NezzaNUFC // Jun 12, 2015 at 10:08 AM

All these strikers we are linked with what about defenders?

We need new defenders not 10 strikers!

• 30 DisillusionedMagpie // Jun 12, 2015 at 10:08 AM

AS
    You can’t download chrome adblock on a phone but if you go to Google play store and download an app called Block it! , that will do the job just fine.

• 31 Average_Contents // Jun 12, 2015 at 10:11 AM

Barkel

Totally get that but isn’t that his job? To deal with hard questions? Especially since they’ve/we’ve got every right to ask them after what’s gone on?

In that case he’s agreed to the clubs mantra of secrecy and what we say goes. To me anyway.

Jfa

Time will tell but we’ve heard it all before from the previous manager.

I’ll concede that McClaren has expanded slightly on cups and league placing but the proof will be in the pudding so to speak. I’m not holding my breath. Otherwise I’d die.

All I read from the slugs clearly staged interview was he wasn’t leaving until we won something.

I hope I’m wrong and we do invest massively because let’s face it, it’s needed after years of none. Again I won’t hold my breath (I’m sure some on here wouldn’t mind if I did)

• 32 JackButler // Jun 12, 2015 at 10:12 AM

NezzaNUFC

My biggest worry is that we go into the new season with Colo, Willo and Saylor.

We need to ship one out, preferably Colo and bring in two new center halfs

• 33 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 12, 2015 at 10:14 AM

Average
    I had all that sh1t on my android until I switched to the desktop version of this site. I had more this morning when I visited The Mag. The bastards who are doing this should face criminal charges. No joking. Eh, Tuff?

• 34 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 12, 2015 at 10:15 AM

No. He wont stay fit. He cant. Half a season? Thats optomistic, ED!

I think he is a very good player, but 4 or 5 games is not worth a fee.

• 35 Jail for Ashley // Jun 12, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Magpie,
    I don’t think many people do trust them, it was different with Pardew, Ashley hadn’t been sussed by the vast majority back then and people were prepared to give him a chance thinking that a multi billionaire would want a successful team. I don’t think he’ll be given more time if this all turns out to be bull.

• 36 Average_Contents // Jun 12, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Magpie season

My point exactly. We’ve got previous for managers promising this and that and then when it’s not delivered saying it’s ok and even backing the decisions.

It’s just words. All these links to players are just guess work from the papers and rumour mills and people are wetting their knickers over it. Some even exploding in their pants 😉

Until I see some action (obviously he’s only just arrived so time is needed) then I’m inclined to go off past history especially since we’ve had our fingers burnt before.

To me that’s not being negative it’s being realistic.

• 37 Average_Contents // Jun 12, 2015 at 10:20 AM

Definitely off now I’m gonna get aggro if my chores ain’t done 😉

Thanks for the advice regarding ad blockers.

Laters

• 38 sks_toon // Jun 12, 2015 at 10:26 AM

JackButler
    I agree in addition to the 2 strikers. and a good distributor MF, we need 2 CBs. We already have Lascelles but I would still like to bring in 2 more CBs. I would part with Willo though before Collocini who if he is a reserve would do better for us I think with enough rest.

• 39 davetoon // Jun 12, 2015 at 10:26 AM

Imagine comparing old sick note to Bas Dost.
    please Ed please

• 40 Laurent Robert 32 // Jun 12, 2015 at 10:29 AM

I don’t know if it’s been posted, I haven’t seen it on here, but the True Geordie’s thoughts on McClaren pretty much mirror my own once again:

• 41 geordie157 // Jun 12, 2015 at 10:35 AM

Anyone know how much Inigo Martinez would cost? I’m pretty sure like Musacchio he’s got the usual high buy out clause but I’ve seen a lot of la liga and he’s looked good, only a matter of time before bigger teams come in for him.

More realistic options are van dijk and Richards.

• 42 barkel // Jun 12, 2015 at 10:36 AM

Why is everyone so keen to get rid of Colo? He didn’t have a great season but then again no one did. He is by far our best defender and if he can get his head sorted he’s a top player

• 43 Toonfan8 // Jun 12, 2015 at 10:36 AM

Davetoon
    Have you ever seen Bas Dost playing full match? Because I have seen a lot of Wolfsburg games last season and his all round play is awful, his technique is very bad, I dont rate him at all….we have to go for Austin and Berahino, these two upfront would be great, with Perez, Riviere as backup options…

• 44 Magpie Season // Jun 12, 2015 at 10:39 AM

geordie157,

Richards has just signed for Aston Villa.

Plus, not sure the board would want a reserve player (presuming Janmaat would still be first choice RB) on 60k+ a week.

• 45 barkel // Jun 12, 2015 at 10:39 AM

Looks like Richards is off to Villa

• 46 Magpie Season // Jun 12, 2015 at 10:47 AM

A_C,

Exactly mate I never read too much into rumours. I think it’s to entice people to buy/renew their season tickets.

The Austin link though does appear to have a solid premise in that McClaren spent a couple of months at QPR 2 seasons ago when they were in the championship.

However, I don’t fancy him here. Do you? I like football to be played beautifully with a very fluid system & possession based. People complain about the dreary style we play, that will only exacerbate with players such as Austin. That’s not downgrading the calibre of the guy, he is a clinical striker, but suited to a more direct & rigid system. Something I don’t like to watch.

• 47 Toonfan8 // Jun 12, 2015 at 10:47 AM

with Berahino and Austin, there is a plenty of options up front…..
    FW…Austin,Berahino,Riviere,Perez
    AM/WG…De Jong,Cabella,Aarons
    …………………………………………………….
    we can play them two upfront….
    or on three upfront….
    perez(aarons)…austin….berahino….
    or 4-2-3-1
    ……………..austin…………………
    perez…….de jong……berahino
    and cabella,riviere and aarons not bad options there…so if we bring these two, we are sorted upfront with proven strikers in premier league…

• 48 Welshie's Sheep // Jun 12, 2015 at 10:52 AM

Leave the crock at West Ham he’s not worth it

• 49 Toonfan8 // Jun 12, 2015 at 10:57 AM

and also we have to bring one playmaker, prefer van Ginkel, but Cabaye wont be too bad either…and if tiote leave, then bring one ball winer…but I want Tiote here, as I think under Mc Claren he can become great player again….and have to bring at least one CB strong van Dijk/Zouma type…but two will be better….
    on money availible….Lascalles,Darlow already here and van Dijk 10, Zouma loan with option to buy, van Ginkel loan with option to buy(or Cabaye 10), Berahino 18-20,Austin 15….total spent 45M if Cabaye 55M…but cisse,saylor,willo can leave…and squad and quality of it looks totaly different…
    GK…Krul,Darlow,Elliot
    CB…van Dijk,Zouma,Colo,Good,(Dummet)
    RB…Janmaat,(Anita)
    LB…Haidara,Dummet
    CM…van Ginkel(Cabaye),Tiote,Colback,Anita,Sissoko,Abeid
    AM/WG…De Jong,Cabella,Aarons,S.Ameobi,(Sissoko,Perez)
    FW…Austin,Berahino,Perez,Riviere

• 50 Mr Magpie // Jun 12, 2015 at 10:59 AM

I didn’t realise Carroll was on 105k a week..lol. There is no way we would be paying anywhere near that amount in wages. He would have to take at least a 50% wage cut!!!

• 51 Toonfan8 // Jun 12, 2015 at 11:00 AM

thats 24 man squad and that has to be enough….
    Gouffran,Cisse,Vuckic,Obertan,S.Taylor,Williamson,Bigirimana,Ferguson,Marveaux may go out….

• 52 barkel // Jun 12, 2015 at 11:02 AM

Toonfan8

I see a few people talking about getting Zoumam do Chelsea want rid? I assumed they were lining him up as long term replacement for Terry? Would take a massive bid to get him, he’s only 20 and was starting CL games this season

• 53 Toonfan8 // Jun 12, 2015 at 11:03 AM

Barkel…I want him on loan with option to buy…other option can be Rami from Milan…good CB and Milan want to get rid of him

• 54 Magpie Season // Jun 12, 2015 at 11:05 AM

Mr Magpie,

Think he is on 90k. Even he isn’t that overrated to get over 100.

Carroll is a genius though. When we came back up from the champ, he was on 5k a week in August, 2010. By December he signed a 5 year deal with us on 20k a week. A month later he was sold to Liverpool who offered him 80k a week. 2 years later on 90. That’s his zenith though, don’t think any club would offer more than 100, even clubs that pay over the top.

• 55 SuperShearer // Jun 12, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Zouma is going nowhere. Mourinho rates him very highly and they know they might need him with Terry’s age he could easily pick up an injury.

• 56 Magpie Season // Jun 12, 2015 at 11:06 AM

barkel,

What about Tomas Kalas?

• 57 Mr Magpie // Jun 12, 2015 at 11:06 AM

If they can buy enough players to improve the squad & get rid of the deadwood then that would enable us to loan out Armstrong, Satka, Kemen, Bigirimana etc to go get games in the championship to improve them.

• 58 Toonfan8 // Jun 12, 2015 at 11:08 AM

Adil Rami from Milan could be good option at CB position…strong, tall and comfortable with ball

• 59 Mr Magpie // Jun 12, 2015 at 11:10 AM

Magpie Season@54
    Not sure what he earns mate, based my comment on hibbit@3 saying he was on 105k.
    Either way 90k is still far over what we’d pay him in wages.

• 60 barkel // Jun 12, 2015 at 11:13 AM

He would be a great signing but I don’t see it happening and if we did manage to get him on loan I can’t see any buy out clause at the end

• 61 danuneek // Jun 12, 2015 at 11:18 AM

No thanks! This would be a massively negative move. We need players that play, we already have a team of pre-madonnas.

We also don’t want to see that type of long ball game again which Carroll would force.

• 62 geordieboy83 // Jun 12, 2015 at 11:18 AM

My preferred options would be,
    Classie or van ginkel
    Wijnaldum
    Van dijk
    De vrij
    Juanmi over berahino
    Austin

Id be well chuffed

• 63 hibbit // Jun 12, 2015 at 11:19 AM

mr mag / mag season carroll is west ham highest paid player big sam made sure of that

• 64 geordieboy83 // Jun 12, 2015 at 11:22 AM

Krul
    Jaanmat. De vrij. Van. Dijk. Haidara
    Sissoko. Classie
    Juanmi. De. Jong. Wijnaldum
    Austin

Perez, cabella, colback, aarons, riviere, darlow, lascelles, collo

Sell tayloe, willo, cisse, tiote,

• 65 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 12, 2015 at 11:23 AM

The sooner the better really

• 66 optimistic prime // Jun 12, 2015 at 11:30 AM

Only ten more years of being linked to this donkey every window.

• 67 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 12, 2015 at 11:39 AM

Why does this not surprise me?

• 68 davetoon // Jun 12, 2015 at 11:44 AM

could be new away kit?

• 69 JDdubai // Jun 12, 2015 at 11:58 AM

TFL @67

What do you want? To pay exactly what QPR ask for straight away?? Are City haggling over Sterling’s fee or will they pay the 50m liverpool want first time?

Every transfer is negotiated to some extent.

• 70 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 12, 2015 at 12:00 PM

JDubai I’m looking at past dealings and hope it’s not the same we haggled and haggled and lost out on so many players

• 71 flint // Jun 12, 2015 at 12:01 PM

Do we really want to go back to hoofball with Carroll? Forward not backward surely

• 72 JDdubai // Jun 12, 2015 at 12:02 PM

yeah was going to add “now IF we miss out on him over 2 or 3 million, then fair enough”..

• 73 JDdubai // Jun 12, 2015 at 12:04 PM

Austin, Wijnaldum, Richards I would have taken as a CB but looks like it wont happen so another CB, would take Cabaye – maybe PSG would swap Sissoko for him?

• 74 Tsunki // Jun 12, 2015 at 12:04 PM

Telling you the lads physique is not suited to the sport he has a genuine talent for. Not the same but similar idea remember Kieron Dyer had real skills great player on his day remember the country was sweating on being fit for England when he got injured at St Marys… had a problem with his legs his running style knacked his body, perennial liability and a great shame. Andy will always be at the mercy of his frame.

• 75 Slank // Jun 12, 2015 at 12:06 PM

I doubt whether there has ever been a football transaction done without ‘haggling’ which is just a derogatory term for negotiation.

• 76 Tsunki // Jun 12, 2015 at 12:06 PM

On his tombstone ” Rest in Peace – we’ll offer £5m”

• 77 bettyswallocks // Jun 12, 2015 at 12:10 PM

Croftus…………… From an earlier post…

I’m glad to hear you’re not a sheep. Would hate you to fall victim to a certain bloggers advances.

• 78 Magpie Season // Jun 12, 2015 at 12:11 PM

optimistic prime @66,

LOL.

• 79 awaydays // Jun 12, 2015 at 12:11 PM

Seeing loads of posts saying bring in this and that and these players Are likely to be on 70-100k per week… Really we shouldnt sell anyone because half of our squad are young players anyway (the lads that get loaned out) we do need 2 centre backs one good one and another average for cover we have a lad coming back from loan 2 strikers one good (austin lets say he grabs 12 goals for us) cisse will score goals so then maybe a player that can get about 7-10 personally i would love richards his wages are high but hes free so we would save about 6 mill on him and he could play cb as well as cover jaanmat then we need a good creative passer of the ball and maybe 2 wingers (Ince bolasie/brady) nobodys wages would be through the roof and they wouldnt cost 15 mill each…. We would be happy for strength and depth and ashley if what hes said is true and it does look that way then he is spending around 50 mill getting about 7 decent players without hurting his finances (i dont like ashley i couldnt care if it meant we started climbing the table

• 80 mindshaft // Jun 12, 2015 at 12:19 PM

Cabaye is allegedly going to Spuds, don’t think there is much chance of him ending up at the toon again

• 81 mindshaft // Jun 12, 2015 at 12:20 PM

He’s missing his BFF Debuchy in London – awww what a shame

• 82 Welshie's Sheep // Jun 12, 2015 at 12:21 PM

Cabaye should come to Swansea.
    But toon don’t want the crock Carroll

• 83 Magpie Season // Jun 12, 2015 at 12:27 PM

I think 80k a week (Colo) is the limit for us.

Can’t really envisage the board signing players above that wage bracket. Which is why Carroll & Cabaye links make fruitless reading.

Since Ashley era, only player to have earned more than 100k was Owen, & he was signed before.

The other reason players with high wages won’t be signed is because of a new term I have come up with called ‘Xisco Disease.’

• 84 lochinvar // Jun 12, 2015 at 12:28 PM

McLaren and the Board shouldn’t go down the road of just trying to “please the Geordie fans”, thats almost patronising.

However….if this is a tactic to get Austin signed then ok. If the objective is to get both signed then that’s probably ok.

Could be that if ” our target is to win a Trophy” and “to get 8th or better ” then we need to the squad of players to do that and to cover the injuries/bans etc that materialise in a season.

Just beginning to think that it sounds almost professional.
    I need to sit down.

• 85 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 12, 2015 at 12:31 PM

Surely bookies can’t be that wrong 1/7

• 86 JackButler // Jun 12, 2015 at 12:37 PM

I’d take Cabaye back without a seconds hesitation, on his day he’s pure class and we have missed him every day he’s been gone

• 87 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 12, 2015 at 12:38 PM

you are so right Jack we have

• 88 Sliema // Jun 12, 2015 at 12:38 PM

I’m liking the first words of Mclaren since taking over and I honestly feel like he can do a good job. He is talking about making us a big club, winning a cup, I think he has 10x the ambition of Pardew and as a ‘coach’ his reputation is solid, I’m sure he believes he can make us a great club again but I feel like one by one the board, staff and players will let him down and turn against him.

This transfer window will reveal all. We don’t need 40 or 50 million spent, we don’t need 5 or 6 new players, to really compete we need to spend 70 or 80 million (which we can very easily afford), we need to get rid of all of the colossal turds we have on our books, and we need 10 new players. That’s only to try to catch back up what we have lost these last couple of seasons on teams like Spurs, Soton, Swansea etc.

Charlie Austin would definitely be the first step, of many needed ones.

• 89 JackButler // Jun 12, 2015 at 12:39 PM

ToonFromLeeds

The entire squad seemed to fall in on itself after he left and we have zero creativity now.

• 90 mickalfas // Jun 12, 2015 at 12:40 PM

The question of McLaren being a success here is not really appropriate
    He can only be a success if the club strengthens the squad considerably ,as with the players available atm we’ll still be relegation fodder next season
    We can only hope that the club show the fans that (he) meant what he said at the now famous interview
    I hope I’m wrong but until we see the calibre of players which arrive ,I have a absolutely no confidence that this club has changed,only time will tell

• 91 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 12, 2015 at 12:43 PM

again you are right Jack, we can only hope that McClaren sorts the team out and brings in plenty of quality players

• 92 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 12, 2015 at 12:53 PM

so Juanmi and Perez are similar?

• 93 Laurent Robert 32 // Jun 12, 2015 at 1:12 PM

I’ll just wade my way through the balloons and silly string to say Ashley Out.

• 94 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 12, 2015 at 1:15 PM

hahahahaha Laurent well said

• 95 dok - the horrid colonial // Jun 12, 2015 at 1:15 PM

Dubai @69,

yes, everyone haggles… but considering the state we are in, we should simply get the damned deal done… we dotn have the time to nitpick over a few bucks…

• 96 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 12, 2015 at 1:15 PM

Makes a very valid point

• 97 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 12, 2015 at 1:16 PM

That was my point Dok thank you

• 98 Average_Contents // Jun 12, 2015 at 1:17 PM

Sky sources understand Newcastle are in talks with Austin’s representatives over a potential move to St James’

I never pay attention to rumours but usually sky sports are quite reliable for info plus they are now the preferred media partners so could have the inside track lol.

On the other side of the coin it could just be both working in collusion, the club for ST sales and sky sports for sky bet when infact we are knowhere near signing anybody or not even in discussions (wouldn’t put it past them tbh) or we’ve been in for him and he’s just fcuked us off.

Magpie season

I’d take Austin without a shadow of a doubt mate. He’s actually quite mobile for his size, runs the channels and can also hold the ball up when we need to be patient in our build up play. Intelligent player imo. Supply him with the ammunition and he’ll be a big hit I think.

Perez-Austin-Aarons

That’s a pretty decent front three if shteve got him and deployed 4-3-3.

• 99 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 12, 2015 at 1:19 PM

A C I agree but its very rare Sky gets things wrong

• 100 dok - the horrid colonial // Jun 12, 2015 at 1:20 PM

Cheers TFL

• 101 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jun 12, 2015 at 1:24 PM

I think its essential we get Austin we need someone who can hold the ball up and bring others into play while also offering a serious goal threat

Would allow players like Perez , Aarons and Cabella to to play the ball to him and make runs knowing he will hold it up

A bit worried that we dont seem to be linked with a quality left back or centre backs yet as we need them just as much it would allow us to press high and not have midfielders babysitting so much

• 102 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 12, 2015 at 1:26 PM

LCBP we deffo need cb’s and a Lb
    The Sun is linking us with a Bournemouth CB today

• 103 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jun 12, 2015 at 1:28 PM

Whey ya bugga man its a bit waarm on TOONside today

• 104 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Jun 12, 2015 at 1:32 PM

@ToonFromLeeds

Yeah just seen that not really seen anything about him to be fair I just want proper defenders total beasts who no one can get past or beat in the air

• 105 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 12, 2015 at 1:34 PM

here u are LCBP

• 106 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 12, 2015 at 1:34 PM

I agree with you LCBP

• 107 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 12, 2015 at 1:35 PM

That’s why I said last night we want someone like
    Aleksandar Dragovic or Niklas Sule

• 108 Our Toon // Jun 12, 2015 at 1:36 PM

AC

Wasn’t long ago sky sources were talking us all we’d be signing 4 players in January and we ended up with LDJ on loan….I’m not getting my hopes up just yet, a good few signings mean a horrible sale is around the corner!!

• 109 Welshie's Sheep // Jun 12, 2015 at 1:41 PM

Does anyone else think Steve McClaren could appear in Corrie as Les Dennis’ s long lost brother?

• 110 WWSBRD // Jun 12, 2015 at 1:50 PM

Dragovic! Dragovic! Dragovic!

• 111 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 12, 2015 at 1:52 PM

haha! yup WWSBRD

• 112 LGFUAD21 // Jun 12, 2015 at 1:52 PM

We need to forget about Big Andy and move on.

He has never shown a sustained period of goalscoring.
    He banged in 11 goals for us and then got over hyped.

Charlie Austin has way more about him. More energetic, less injury prone, better and more consistent record and can be used in a better style.

Big andy is a threat in front of goal but you have to play to him. Whereas you can play with Austin because of his amazing off the ball movement.

I’m not convinced by Berahino either. Question marks over his attitude. Hardly prolific goal scoring ration when compared to someone like Bas Dost who is probably available at the same price. I think WBA make him look better than he is.

Funnily enough a friend asked me yesterday who I realistically thought we could get and here was my “realistic” shopping list

2 Strikers – Austin and Dost
    2 CBs – ????
    1 RB – Robertson – Young, pacy, good in the attack. Not shy of the physicality of the league.
    1 CDM – Jordy Clasie – Solid ball playing DM, can tackle
    1 LW – Nathan Redmond
    1 RW – Tom Ince – Was never given a shot at Hull in the Prem, probably about ready to step up. Very direct player (less of the Cabella fannying about and crucially has a peach of a long range shot which we dont have atm)

Bonus signing – Wijnaldrum

Sell
    Moussa, Gouffran, Obertan, Willo, Rivi, Vuckic, Abeid.

Set the team up like this

Krul
    Janmaat – ——Colo —– New CB ——- Robertson
    ———-Wijnaldrum/Clasie – Colback—————-
    ————————-De Jong/Cabella——————–
    Ince/Cabella——————————-Redmond/Perez
    ————————–Austin/Dost————————-

That is a team that i think can attack with pace, defend well and crucially develop together over a few years into a top 6 team.

• 113 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 12, 2015 at 1:54 PM

LGFUAD21
    Hull have slapped a £30 million tag on Robertson!!!

• 114 isleofmanman // Jun 12, 2015 at 1:56 PM

Wow! Of course. Lets buy a footballer who might be fit for 25% of our fixtures. Emphasis on MIGHT

• 115 Toonfan8 // Jun 12, 2015 at 1:57 PM

LGFUAD21
    Have you ever seen Bas Dost playing? He is slow, poor technique and poor teamplayer…No thanks, I dont want him here…Berahino is much better player already and is younger and proven in EPL

• 116 Essex Geordie Bill // Jun 12, 2015 at 2:02 PM

I would have an ‘injury free’ Andy Carroll back with no hesitation. He is probably the best old fashioned centre forward in Europe if he can be kept on the pitch.

Better imo than Van Dost.

I can fully understand those who don’t want him back however and their reasons.

• 117 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jun 12, 2015 at 2:04 PM

Not much seems to happen which indicates we are moving in the right direction.

Carver and Stone are out, but Charmless walks free of blame (the board actually walks free). McClaren is in (nothing great about that) and is on the board.

What does that mean? It means he represents the board and their views. Most be nice for Charmless and Ashley;

Is he just another mouthpiece then? The jury is out on this one!

Hardly much has happened to be thrilled about!

• 118 WWSBRD // Jun 12, 2015 at 2:05 PM

Upon Dragovic signing for Newcastle reporters asked him ” how do u feel after signing at the toon” Dragovic steely gaze locked directly into the reporters eyes and brazenly stated “do not mock my new club with feeble animated connections tiny man or I will mount your head above my sword collection” laughter was heard from all except the new signing who returned his skull helmet to his head and left for his new home

• 119 LGFUAD21 // Jun 12, 2015 at 2:05 PM

Yes. I have watched dost for years now.

He doesn’t need pace with the role he plays. Carol not Austin have pace. And his finishing is better than Austin and carrolls. The benefit of Austin which makes him my top choice is the other side of his game.

Dost would be like cisse when we signed him. Who would’ve scored far more in a 433 that got forward rather than a 4231 that sat back.

• 120 Toonfan8 // Jun 12, 2015 at 2:11 PM

LGFUAD21
    I have seen a lot of Wolfsburg matches last season and believe me, Dost is shite, even their fans dont rate him…very lazy player…rather have Cisse than him…but best option would be Austin and Berahino, proven and them two upfront would be lethal…

• 121 WWSBRD // Jun 12, 2015 at 2:13 PM

Not a chance Berahino is going to join us West Brom won’t sell him for cheap and he wants to move to a big club and we are at best on par with West Brom

• 122 Jib // Jun 12, 2015 at 2:16 PM

Saw Carvers car at Benton the safter driven by a young man .
    Must be one of his sons picking up his stuff.

• 123 Toonfan8 // Jun 12, 2015 at 2:17 PM

but Dost price is 15M and he is not worth half of that…Berahino wont cost much more than that…and Mc Claren told he want quick players and Dost with Austin upfront are slow, you can only have one player of that type, second striker has to be quick and run the channels

• 124 expatmag // Jun 12, 2015 at 2:21 PM

Toonfan

Any player who can score as frequently in the bundesliga as Dost did last season cannot conceivably be called shite but probably more aptly, could be termed consistent, dangerous or even lethal……..but certainly not shite

• 125 cyprus // Jun 12, 2015 at 2:24 PM

Andy Carroll without injuries is probably better than Austin. The thing is, it probably can’t be that way.

I voted ‘yes’, but with a contract clearly mentioning games played and other performance incentives.

That Berahino is probably a much better shout. Him, along with Perez and Austin would be a good trio.

Cisse, despite his record, seems to have lost that ruthlessness we saw in the first year. Would reluctantly sell.

SDJ is a big question mark (see Andy’s case), maybe we should have passed on that guy.

Riviere, keep. Maybe a real coach can do something with him.

• 126 Toonfan8 // Jun 12, 2015 at 2:28 PM

expatmag
    even my granny would score if has De Bruyne, Vieirinha and other players who all work for him…Not good enough, I hate if somebody use only stats, I ask you, have you ever seen him play? he is like Peter Crouch, but Crouch was better header of the ball

• 127 Mr Magpie // Jun 12, 2015 at 2:30 PM

I think every club knows we need cb’s so will put the prices up.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Jeffrey Gouweleeuw coming in from Az Alkmaar. 6ft+ ball playing cb, only 23 & wouldn’t be overly expensive.

Much better than any of our current cb’s & would allow more to be spent on Rudime or Van Dijk to play alongside him.

• 128 Mr Magpie // Jun 12, 2015 at 2:32 PM

*Rudiger from Stutgart

• 129 Our Toon // Jun 12, 2015 at 2:38 PM

Toon fan

I’d like to have Bas Dost, you are right stats can be deceiving but goals scored stats are slightly different to pass completion or any other stat. I think his stats were 17 starts 4 bench apps 17 goals in a league which is not to dissimilar to ours for physicality.

The main reason I want Bas Dost is because he’s 6ft 5in not gonna lie but we haven’t had an aerial presence like that in the opposing box especially for crosses and more importantly set pieces such as corners.

I think to many get carried away with the Riviere type of forward, does the donkey work but is an actual donkey when it comes to scoring…..give me a goalscorer any day of the week over a grafter for the team!!

• 130 WWSBRD // Jun 12, 2015 at 2:38 PM

If we are soending 15 mill on Austin (probably wages looking around 50-65k) will we spend 20mill on Berahino and pay him between 60-100k a week?

• 131 Kris // Jun 12, 2015 at 2:44 PM

This relegated players could do well combined, maybe more to take from here?

Heaton