Newcastle Star Talking Like He’s Going Nowhere This Summer

Papiss Cisse a year ago was recovering from the broken knee-cap he picked up in the game at home to Swansea that we lost 2-1 a year last April, and he missed the start of the season – but when he did come back he made a number of substitute appearance but was still able to knock those goals in, and the Senegal striker  ended up as our top scorer with 11 goals in just 22 appearances.

Some of those goals were really important like the brace that helped us beat Chelsea 2-1 in December, but throughout most of the season he had problems with the surgical screws that had been inserted into his knee to stabilize it, and they caused him some significant discomfort and he had a limp.

papiss cisse scores first goal

Papiss Cisse scoring first goal of his brace against Chelsea

But after he got himself suspended against Manchester United for seven games in early March, he was sent off to Paris and had an operation to remove the screws and when he returned – voilà – the limp was gone and he was nearly fully fit for the first time last season.

We had thought that maybe Papiss would be sold over the summer, but he has talked today on the Newcastle web-site and it seems he’s staying at the club:

“They were brilliant again last season, as they always are,” “If you have fans like we do, who are behind the team the whole time, then Newcastle can achieve anything.”

“When the game starts you can feel them behind you, pushing you on, trying to help you.” “They may not be on the pitch but they are so important to us and make a big difference to the team.
“They make my heart warm. Players need fans like this.”

“I was happy with the season from a personal point of view,” he said, of last term.” “As it came to the end, the most important thing was that the team stayed in the Premier League. That was all that mattered.”

“After that, I obviously wanted to be an important part of the team and scoring goals.” “I didn’t play as many games as I would have liked during the season (through injury and suspension) but I had 11 goals, so I have to be quite happy.”

“Now, I want to make sure that the new season is even better and that I can score goals to help the team have a much better season.”

Papiss turned 30 earlier this month and he still has two years left on the five and a half year deal he signed back in January of 2012 when he was signed from SC Freiburg,  so there’s no reason Newcastle have to sell him, and this lad can score the goals – especially when he is fit.

If Papiss stays at the club then maybe we just need one striker brought in and Newcastle could  have Cisse, Perez, Riviera and Charlie Austin as the four strikers for next season – and that’s some goal scoring  there.

Well – we haven’t got Charlie yet – but he’s our number one target, and we are hoping the club can get him in soon.

Cisse is a very good natural goalscorer and in 110 appearances for Newcastle he’s scored a good 41 goals.

It would be good if Papiss was still at the club come September, but if we do manage to get Charlie Austin in – then what number will he wear, since Papiss has the number 9 jersey?

• WWSBRD

Jun 13, 2015 at 7:29 PM

He will be off during this window if the club have anything to do with it

• beermonkey

Jun 13, 2015 at 7:36 PM

wwsbrd

think he has a year left so he wil be desperate to stay so he can cash in on his next move

• WWSBRD

Jun 13, 2015 at 7:44 PM

beer
    Pretty sure he will get big money if he moves now and the club will push him out as much as they can

• AndyMac

Jun 13, 2015 at 7:48 PM

Would be happy if the b#####d buggered off asap. Seven game ban for doing something frowned upon in his beloved Quran !

• beermonkey

Jun 13, 2015 at 7:51 PM

wwsbrd

big risk if we sell him and don’t buy some1 who is proven to score goals in this league
    we cant afford to wait 6mnth while some1 gets used to the league

• WWSBRD

Jun 13, 2015 at 7:52 PM

beer
    Totally agree but I still think the club will try to push him out

• WWSBRD

Jun 13, 2015 at 7:53 PM

Andy
    Scored the goals that kept us up

• toon22

Jun 13, 2015 at 7:53 PM

Id keep Cisse and let his contract run out,he will be on fire next season if we do.
    He will want his big money Bosman move.

• armchair fan

Jun 13, 2015 at 7:57 PM

AndyMac

No need to bring his religious beliefs into this.

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:00 PM

Actually, Andymac raises a good point. Cisse and many other muslim players often make a point of involving their faith in things they do in football. Particularly when it suits them. I dont think they or anyone else can complain if someone says something like Andymac has just said.

• WWSBRD

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:02 PM

Religion and political conversations are outlawed on the blog for good reason

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:02 PM

I remember Demba Ba refusing to hand the MoM champagne to a team mate on the grounds it was alcohol. He only did that to push islamic agenda imo. Its not like he was asked to drink it.

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:04 PM

Wws

Yeah, but if a player brings his religion into football and promotes it, then it’s going to get discussed.

• beermonkey

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:04 PM

wwsbrd

I get the reasons why no club wants to see assets walk for free but there are times when short term gains will cost you
    burnley could have sold ings but kept him because he was there best chance of staying in the league

knowing our lot if he isn’t out the door by sept he will be sold in jan

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:06 PM

For example…

Cisse “Not wearing wonga, it’s against my faith”….Goes to casino. Oops.

• Offkey

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:07 PM

A fat racist and a skinny racist jump off a cliff. Who wins?

• Offkey

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:08 PM

Society

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:08 PM

Offkey

The world?

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:08 PM

I was close lol

• WWSBRD

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:10 PM

YCMIU
    Islamic agenda?
    And they haven’t brought it into football

beer
    I agree mate I would happily have Cisse holding the 9 shirt for another year but I don’t think it’ll happen

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:12 PM

Wws

They bring it everywhere. Thats why its always all over the news.

• murvar

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:13 PM

Disgracefully negative comments about a guy who has scored some truly great goals for us and showed last season he an still score goalsd when not suffering from injuries. Turning against such players is why so many other teams’ supporters think our fans are plonkers.

• WWSBRD

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:15 PM

YCMIU
    Let’s just not mate

There’s very few rules on this blog but no religious talk is one of them

• ToonFromLeeds

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:16 PM

If we get Austin and another striker I’d cash in on Cisse

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:16 PM

Oh and by the way, this is not just because he is a muslim. I get just as irritated by christian players pushing the christian agenda. There are still pro-sportsmen who refuse to play on sundays and take some sort of false moral high ground because of it.

“Pay me 10000000s but i will refuse certain shifts no matter how much i am needed”

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:17 PM

Wws

My comments were specific to players who bring their religion into football, as it ceeates talking points

• WWSBRD

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:27 PM

YCMIU
    Fair play mate but I don’t see how anything has made a talking point

• will die for the toon army

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:27 PM

I wld keep cisse. His record talks for him. 11 goals in 22 games. Not even making 90 minutes.

I wld keep Colo, Cisse, S.Taylor and Toite for transition stage.

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:28 PM

But, meh.

Everyone was happy to discuss politics when fifa were effing it up, but mentioning the R word, even when it is very relevant, has everyone running for the hills.

Ok then. Lets interpret the rules extra-literally. No more talk about ashleys running of the club as that is political. As are contracts, wages, punishments outside of the game for players who have been a bit naughty.

Then we cant talk about adulterous players either because that is religious.

• JamesToon

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:29 PM

If we play the same system that derby did, then i can’t see how cisse is gonna fit in as a lone striker. All he can do is finish, he can’t hold the ball up, bring other players in or take on players. All of those attributes are crucial for a lone striker in a 4-3-3, so i think we should cash in on him while we can.

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:29 PM

Erm….

I wonder what the weather will be like on the first day of the season??

• JamesToon

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:31 PM

Sunderland made a £2M offer to take jenkinson on loan. We should try and go for him but offer 6 or 7mil permanent transfer

• will die for the toon army

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:32 PM

De Jong is also a forward.

Austin, Cisse, De Jong, Perez, Rivere, Arma.

Is ok with me.

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:35 PM

Riviere will never be a footballer as long as he has a hole in his ar$e. Totally useless. I’d rather have Shola ffs!

• ronaldo aarons

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:37 PM

YCMIU
    What do you mean islamic agenda? And at post 21, they bring it everywhere?
    The way I see it, the article mentIons cisse is talking as if he is staying. I don’t see why his religion should come into it. If a person behaves a certain way then that is because of the person himself, if they want to use religion as an excuse then that is down to the person. Has nothing to with religion IMO. It’s the person that should get criticised not the religion.

• will die for the toon army

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:37 PM

JamesToon

In that area I want Richards or Tripper.

• ronaldo aarons

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:38 PM

That’s what I think with regards to this article and posts, I don’t want to add anything that may cause a ‘blog incident’.

• ronaldo aarons

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:41 PM

I don’t know what everyone thinks of chester but I think he is decent, played well yesterday too but is definitely not worth 10m. The good thing I have noticed is that every year he has been improving, I like that in a player.

• beermonkey

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:42 PM

will die for the toon army / jamestoon

to be fair we know the big signings we need
    I would rather McLaren looked at satka as back up right back to bring him into the team if good is ever fit same with him he has played eft back as well cd

• will die for the toon army

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:42 PM

JamesToon

Cisse did well with Ba and Hatem. It was 4 3 3. All Cisse need is to provide e service.