The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Target £20M Striker – In Additon To Charlie Austin

8:28 am, Sunday, June 14th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 33 Comments

Newcastle have been linked with 21 year-old West Brom striker Saido Berahino last week, but that doesn’t  stop the Star from claiming an exclusive today – that Newcastle are interested in the player – who along with Charlie Austin could be the two strikers Newcastle try to bring in over the summer.

saido berahino

Saido Berahino – 21 year-old England U21 striker

Charlie is rated anywhere from £10 – £15M, but Saido at only 21 would probably be more expensive than that – and could even cost as much as £20M.

The Star is reporting they have sources at Newcastle who say the club wants Berahino to prove to fans they are serious about building a good side, who can now go out and win one of the cups.

Berahino is with the England U21 team at the moment as they prepare for the European U21 Championships in the Czech Republic, and it’s not even clear that West Brom or the player want a move this summer.

Saido had this to say to the Star when asked if he tries to block out all the transfer talk going on about a move for him this summer:

“Of course I block it out.” “It’s all part of being a player. You get linked with all of these great clubs all around but I’m at West Brom and I’m happy.

“We finished the season strongly and we stayed in the Premier League, which is massive. ” Now all the lads have gone away on holiday but I’ve got a different mind frame.”

“I’ve got to focus on this tournament and hope to bring the trophy back home.”

Berahino has played for all the England Youth teams from U15 through U21,  and last season scored 20 goals for West Brom in 45 total appearances.

If Newcastle can get two good strikers in this summer, it will probably mean that Papiss Cisse will be shipped out and some money recuperated.

Saido will cost a lot this summer if he does move, and we’d be surprised if Newcastle can  persuade him to come to Tyneside – even if the club are willing to shell out £20M for him.

What do you think?

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

33 responses so far ↓

• 1 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jun 14, 2015 at 8:32 AM

Which tournament is Berahino talking about?

• 2 DeanToon88 // Jun 14, 2015 at 8:33 AM

There’s no way he is worth 20 mil. just because he is English they want a ridiculous price for him, he is a 7m player max. F**k him get austin and be done with it ffs im sick of all this speculation, it’s about time the owner said f**k it and started to buy players instead of pissing about over a couple of million, it’s f**king rediculous.

• 3 sparky55 // Jun 14, 2015 at 8:34 AM

Got this from an article about Maclaren written by his bessie mate (Malcolm Cosby) and is exactly why he is uninspiring and the wrong choice for us

The former Sunderland boss, who led the Black Cats to the 1992 FA Cup final, added: “I think Steve is a great appointment for Newcastle.

“He is a good coach and I think he will make them a very difficult team to beat – and he will want to entertain the fans, too.’’

There you go…the first thought of Cosby is he’ll make newcastle a VERY difficult team to beat!!!!!

Arrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhh….we’ve had 8 years and three managers with the same Mantra of being difficult to beat…WE WANT TO BE ENTERTAINED FFS…we don’t want Newcastle setting up not to be beaten because the fat cnut wont spend 100 million on four good defenders and 5 good defensive midfielders so it just won’t work…we want and need players who can play the exquisite final pass that makes the strikers job easy…but they’ve all left us because we by-pass our midfielders and have managers that order the defence to kick the ball straight over the midfielders heads direct to the inadequately sized Perez / Cisse

I’d like to see a manager that gets the team to play from the back and plays the short pass game and swarms the opponents when we lose possession to get the ball back and gets the team to move forward as a team rather than punt the ball long and has three players out of the midfield / attack that can chip in with 50 goals a season.

Not such an ask for a team that has stated it’ll be chasing a top ten finish but in fact will need a complete change of personalities and mental approach to the game…and unfortunately that’ll not come from a coach that makes us “very hard to beat”

Whilst I’m happy to give anyone a chance…I’m not inspired at all by the Maclaren appointment and I don’t think Austin will come up here, Ings has gone, Carrol will probably come because Bilic won’t want him in his team and no-one else would have him so all I can see is the long punt being played with regular aplomb.

Let’s see who Carr moves for quickly to inspire better players to come to SJP because that’s the problem we’re going to have…MacLaren would not inspire me to join a club like Newcastle who just avoided relegation yet again when everyone knows MacLarens speciality is making teams hard to beat and is hardly a big and existing name / personality to attract good players.

…but let’s see….

• 4 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jun 14, 2015 at 8:37 AM

I think if we as a club are going to wait until a Btitish forward are scoring goals to bit for him then we are always going to pay big bucks…probably over the odds.

A solution was to bring in the likes of Ings, Berahino or Austin two years ago.

• 5 JDdubai // Jun 14, 2015 at 8:39 AM

The u-21’s euros are this summer.

If Austin doesnt come in i think all hell will cut loose, espec if Mitrovic turns up at another PL team too…

• 6 expatmag // Jun 14, 2015 at 8:40 AM

Other than the season we finished 5th, I would say that setting us up to be difficult to be beaten would be a novelty for q change in recent seasons.

• 7 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jun 14, 2015 at 8:40 AM

*bit = bid

• 8 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jun 14, 2015 at 8:42 AM

JDdubai…that’s true! Why had I forgotten that 🙂

• 9 Jib // Jun 14, 2015 at 8:43 AM

I don’t get why you find Crosbie’s comment about us being “difficult to beat” as being a bad thing.
    If you had asked Pirlo after last weeks game what he thought of Barcelona. Through his tears he may well have cried
    “Mio dio sono difficili da battere”

• 10 sparky55 // Jun 14, 2015 at 8:44 AM

Expat…it’s the mindset that’s wrong…pardew tried very hard to make us “difficult to beat” but we’re sh!te at it.

Much rather the team went out thinking “we’re gonna win 5-0 today rather than thinking “we’re not gonna get beat today”

• 11 bobby mango // Jun 14, 2015 at 8:45 AM

Austin is more important but I fear that one is slipping away.
    The reports coming out saying it was a done deal, he wanted to come, Barton had recommended us. All of it worried me that it seemed a bit arrogant (even if not written by the club).
    The Chelsea became interested.
    Then he tweeted all the transfer talk was bull.

He is definitely the priority as he’s a better fit. Just hope he’s treated with respect.

• 12 scout // Jun 14, 2015 at 8:46 AM

Why dont you have your own opinion instead of quoting crosby he’s hardly a big name in world football. Who even cares what he thinks.
    If you think mcclarens teams are boring your crazy

• 13 expatmag // Jun 14, 2015 at 8:50 AM

Yes. He did but a combination of a lack of ability as a coach and a lack of investment in defenders appears to have been our major problems in those areas.

For the first time since SBR, I have confidence in a coach to get it right, unlike one or two on here. This is subject to fair support and investment.

• 14 sparky55 // Jun 14, 2015 at 8:50 AM

Jib…don’t think there’s much sense talking about the squad of newcastle and the squad of barcelona to reason why a losing champions league player might say Barcelona are hard to beat and we should be the same…but in answer to your question…they’re hard to beat for all the reasons I stated above…they know how to play from the back, they know how move forward as a team, they know how to swarm when they lose the ball, they have players who can pick a pass, a forward three worth over 300 million and the rest of the teams are all 25 million plus players…so hardly a sensible comparison.

• 15 sparky55 // Jun 14, 2015 at 8:55 AM

scout…never said Maclarens teams are boring…I said I’m uninspired by the appointment but happy to give him a chance and prepared to wait and see

• 16 Tsunki // Jun 14, 2015 at 8:56 AM

If you’re wanting sense better off having a convo with Google directly than Jeff in Benwell

Having a spot of bother converting everyone to your # mclarenout campaign jester? 🙂

In other news I noticed we had an ITK troll last night. Here we go.

• 17 hibbit // Jun 14, 2015 at 8:56 AM

the first job for any good coach is to make the team difficult to beat why is that a problem our defence has bee by far the biggest problem for years

• 18 Jib // Jun 14, 2015 at 8:56 AM

You are right .
    Some fans need a marque signing like an addict needs his fix , and kick off if they don’t get it.
    I’m more upbeat about the whole thing.
    Cisse could be awesome with some proper coaching……
    Perez as a false number 9 coached properly would gladden the heart……….
    Colback could really become the ginger Pirlo if taught properly when to pass or run…….
    De Jong in the short glimpses we have had of him knows how to pull the strings……….
    Cabella is crying out for some direction to complement his undoubted skills……….
    etc. etc.
    Let the new coaching staff have a look first.
    There still 79 days of the window to go yet , for gods sake.

• 19 davetoon // Jun 14, 2015 at 8:57 AM

Austin is going to Southampton and cant say I blame him either

• 20 Tsunki // Jun 14, 2015 at 8:58 AM

Sparky one thing I hated about Pardew was that not only couldn’t he win but when he got in a roll he couldn’t stop losing. I always think a good manager could at least get crap players organised. Enough to make a shut out possible. Pardew couldn’t do it and Carver was laughably tragic.

• 21 Tsunki // Jun 14, 2015 at 9:01 AM

Ginger Pirlo ha. Colback needs a footballing brain poor lad. He’s a bit old to be taught how the midfield should run. Cabella has little pace to give his skill the final thrust. We do need a couple of signings that show intent at least.

• 22 sparky55 // Jun 14, 2015 at 9:02 AM

hibbit…you honestly think was keegan’s mindset???

Ask yourself which manger over the last 30 years gave the supporters the best value for money and best ride of them all, and then ask yourself if that manager invested more in defence than in attacking midfielders / strike force, and then ask yourself how often he got the team together and based his training sessions on making us difficult to beat.

If we’re gonna end up in the bottom half of the league again, I’d much rather see us getting beat trying to score rather than getting beat trying to avoid defeat.

• 23 Tsunki // Jun 14, 2015 at 9:02 AM

Oh and DeJongs likely destined to be held together with string and sticky tape. Dont count on more than a couple of dozen games from him, although good when he does play.

• 24 expatmag // Jun 14, 2015 at 9:04 AM

They must be getting rid of Pelle then.

• 25 Bambams // Jun 14, 2015 at 9:04 AM

We will struggle to sign the great players because of our negativity tag that has been hanging around for years.
    Southampton Villa Stoke Spurs Everton West Ham will all be looking at similar players as we are, they will all have a better chance if getting them over the line.
    I have accepted Steve but I would have rather had someone who the players would have wanted to come here for. Don’t think Steve will be that man for many players. Hope I am wrong

• 26 Tsunki // Jun 14, 2015 at 9:04 AM

Aye but sparky would you have taken that in the last ten games? I know I would. Just not losing a couple of games would have been an easier game to watch on the last day of the season.

• 27 Tsunki // Jun 14, 2015 at 9:05 AM

Expat mag 🙂

• 28 Jib // Jun 14, 2015 at 9:06 AM

The 7 that Spurs threw the Bale money at very early in the window of that summer
    I bet you’d be pushed to name all 7 and none of them are world beaters
    All together now
    “what a waste of money”

• 29 Kris // Jun 14, 2015 at 9:06 AM

I can’t see Austin has tweeted anything about the transfer speculation?

• 30 sparky55 // Jun 14, 2015 at 9:10 AM

Tsunki…I wholeheartedly agree with you re Pardew which is why regardless of what happened in the last half of last season I’m still delighted he’s gone.

All I’m saying is I don’t want a replicant replacing him and I don’t think Maclaren will be able to attract anyone but middle of the road dutch players who in the main will find the premiership a very difficult place to ply their trade.

The dutch have produced some of the worlds best players but we won’t pay the prices for the dutch elite so we’re always left with 2nd tier players…Janmaat being a lucky exception.

• 31 The overrated Frenchman // Jun 14, 2015 at 9:43 AM

Quite true Bambams. When was the last time we managed to get a player “over the line” who was of any serious interest to another PL club? I literally can’t remember. We are a “pick up the scraps” club, and I don’t see that changing in the near future.

• 32 c-dog // Jun 14, 2015 at 10:20 AM

Along with Austin, a good creative CM and a dominant centre half it’ll be a season to look forward to.

• 33 G peart 83 // Jun 14, 2015 at 12:21 PM

C’mon charnley you’ve had months to identify targets why isn’t anything happening

previous post: McClaren Could Bring Two Top Assistants In Next Week