The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Trying A New Board Structure For A Football Club

2:50 pm, Sunday, June 14th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 22 Comments

There’s an excellent interview today in the Chronicle given by Newcastle head coach Steve McClaren – and Steve certainly comes over very well in what he says and he ‘s a very good communicator, and now being the mouthpiece of Newcastle he has today tried to explain what Managing Director Lee Charnley is trying to do at the club with the new structure of the Board of Directors.

Newcastle produced a surprise last Wednesday when they announced the new Board made up of Lee Charnley, Graham Carr, Steve McClaren and Bob Moncur, and it seemed to be a big improvement on the former Board and there’s a lot more football knowledge in there, and that cannot be bad.

It also seems Mike Ashley deliberately took himself out of the football decision-making that goes on at the club, and if that was the case then it was a good move by Ashley.

steve mcclaren

Steve McClaren – Newcastle trying a new Boardroom structure

Here’s what Steve has said today:.

“What Lee Charnley is trying to do is to create a new structure and to get everyone involved.” “He doesn’t want people to be in their own offices doing their thing without being aware of what else is going on.”

“I always stress that my approach is about trying to keep every door open.” “We’re all in it together and there are two sides to a football club – the football side and then the administration and marketing side.”

“They’ve always been kept separate – they don’t know anything about the football side and we don’t know anything about their side.” “This move is to bridge the gap and I welcome it.”

“I had a similar experience when I was at Boro.”   “I was invited to board meetings because they wanted me to know about things like season ticket prices, and that I’d have the idea that money isn’t grown on trees.”

“Lee wanted someone from the football side on that and I think it’s a good idea.”

In fact the current Newcastle Board had three football people on it plus and Lee Charnley, but once a new Finance Director is appointed to replace the departed John Irving,  they (man or woman) should be part of the Board too.

That explanation from Steve is a good one and will allow fans to understand some of the thinking behind the new Board Structure at Newcastle –  it sounds good to us.

Hopefully next season Steve McClaren will be able to update fans as on what the club are trying to do,  in the absence of hearing anything from either Lee Charnley or Mike Ashley, but we hope the owner will give a more Sky interviews next season.

Communication in any organization is always extremely important, and if there’s not enough of it then people will make stuff up,  in the vacuum created.

And it’s nearly always negative stuff that’s created so it’s always good to have full communication.

That hasn’t been the case at Newcastle over the last eight years – and hopefully that will change.

What do you think?

Tags: Coaching · Head coach · Interview · Newcastle News · Premier League

22 responses so far ↓

• 1 Belfast // Jun 14, 2015 at 2:57 PM

just for old times sake lol

• 2 John Tudor // Jun 14, 2015 at 2:57 PM

deja vu

• 3 Belfast // Jun 14, 2015 at 2:58 PM

Sorry about that.

• 4 Sack Llambias // Jun 14, 2015 at 2:58 PM

How could anyone honestly believe that dolt JFA was me. You could not make it up.

• 5 scout // Jun 14, 2015 at 2:59 PM

Will Austin signing be announced tomorrow morning?

• 6 Rotonda heights // Jun 14, 2015 at 3:00 PM

who said boycotts don’t work and season tickets don’t bother ashley

• 7 Belfast // Jun 14, 2015 at 3:02 PM

Yeah scout should be on the Southampton website in the morning.

• 8 scout // Jun 14, 2015 at 3:03 PM

No sign of anyone signing……… PANIC at the disco. No one has really started signing anyone they’re all on holiday.

• 9 John Tudor // Jun 14, 2015 at 3:03 PM

hold on to your cash

• 10 scout // Jun 14, 2015 at 3:06 PM

Just rang bet victor he’s 1/6 to sign for us.
    12/1 Southampton

• 11 Sack Llambias // Jun 14, 2015 at 3:09 PM

I would see it as a compliment to be mistaken for Belfast but JFA!!!
    Your not pretentious like so many on here but always good entertainment value. The blog lacks the colourful Beattie and Tads types who know something about football. Instead were inundated with
    those trying to fight battles lost on issues of little interest to to the vast
    majority. I would also like to see Bills back as he’s also great value.

• 12 John Tudor // Jun 14, 2015 at 3:09 PM

mikey is

• 13 Jib // Jun 14, 2015 at 3:10 PM

You asked us to think about SM’s sacking .

I did , then I did some research .
    Did you know every manager in the prem has been sacked at some time or other.
    Koeman was even sacked by 3 clubs 3 years in a row and Rodgers was sacked by Championship Reading after nearly getting them relegated to the 3rd tier.

• 14 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 14, 2015 at 3:13 PM

This article is very good

• 15 Belfast // Jun 14, 2015 at 3:14 PM

Who’s accusing who of what Sack Llambias ? I’m a little lost with the smoke and mirrors on here at the moment.

I blame Pokat myself ! 🙂

• 16 Jail for Ashley // Jun 14, 2015 at 3:15 PM

Wow,who indeed could have mixed me up with blog legend and all round good guy sack Llambias

• 17 croftus5678 // Jun 14, 2015 at 3:15 PM

chelsea after austin is a load of rubbish.

i’d almost bet that the puds link was the same but the way they throw money about on anyone who knows !

i believe we have a great backup plan/other first choice in bas dost though and i wouldnt be upset if we signed him ! if we signed both i’d do a lap round the block naked.

the more days that pass though the more it scares me as we have seen so many times the smoke screens of we was after but didnt get comment.

• 18 Belfast // Jun 14, 2015 at 3:16 PM

Bill son disappeared. I would stick money on him returning if Ashley spends money in this transfer window.

• 19 Jail for Ashley // Jun 14, 2015 at 3:18 PM

Ian Toon, pushy pardew, john irving and funkin thingymigig all find you good value !

• 20 Belfast // Jun 14, 2015 at 3:18 PM

I worked hard for those blog legend stripes jail..

• 21 Belfast // Jun 14, 2015 at 3:22 PM

To be fair I’ve never spoken to Murvar (yet) Haha

• 22 BandB // Jun 14, 2015 at 3:27 PM

I see Sack Llambias has taken to handing out the now defunct “Ian Toon” and “John Irving” awards to preferred posters.
    Ian also keeps insisting Murvar is Jail for Ashley, when he MUST know for certain that it isn’t 🙂

previous post: Newcastle Need To Cut Out This Nonsense