The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle In For Long Term Center-Back Target

10:42 pm, Tuesday, June 16th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 161 Comments

In January of 2102 Newcastle were first linked with 6’4″ center-back Lewis Dunk of Brighton & Hove Albion, his home town club, and Newcastle continued that interest in Dunk, and even last October we were linked with the central defender.

The Mirror is now reporting that Newcastle are again interested in the defender, who is now 23 year-old and played 44 times for Brighton last season with 7 goals and 2 assists.

Lewis Dunk _20120804

23 year-old Lewis Dunk – interested in defender since 2012

We’ve noticed when Graham Carr scouts a player he doesn’t give up on them if he believes they are still right for Newcastle, so it may not be too surprising that we are still in for Dunk, who has played 111 times for Brighton since he made his debut back in April of 2010 in the 0–0 draw at Milton Keynes Dons.

At the time Lewis was just 18.

Last October then Brighton manager Sami Hyypia said this about Dunk when told of possible Newcastle interest:

“I’m very happy that he is playing well and he has been a very important player for us.”  “I would be surprised if the interest wasn’t there, but I hope he stays here and keeps playing like he’s playing. It’s very important you keep your best players.”

“I know it’s not always easy to do that and the players sometimes have different ideas or goals they want to achieve, but we are trying to do everything we can to keep the best players here.”

Dunk certainly fits the bill for players Newcastle like to sign – and he’s at the right age and looks a very promising player, who will only get better if Newcastle sign him.

It just so happens that Steve McClaren has also been interested in the big central defender while he was at Derby County, and perhaps there’s been a meeting of the minds  between Graham Carr and Steve McClaren.

That could mean Newcastle will make a determined attempt to sign the tall 23 year-old.

Former Newcastle manager Chris Hughton took over from Hyypia at the end of last year, and he did a good job of tightening the Brighton defense and they conceded only 54 goals in spite of finishing 5th bottom of the league table.

That was the 5th best goals against record of the 24 teams in the Championship last season, so if only Chris Hughton can get them scoring some goals next season they may be in business.

Lewis was a major figure in Brighton’s defense last season and valued at around £5M and may be the young center-back that Newcastle need to sign this summer.

We would prefer that Newcastle go after our center-back target of last summer – 23 year-old Dutch U21 International Virgil van Dijk. – and it could be that Lewis Dunk is a cheaper alternative to Virgil.

The Dutch International could cost as much as £10M from Celtic.

What do you think?

Note: We’ve had a couple of hot days in Raleigh – yesterday it was 98 degrees and today we topped 100 degrees.

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours

161 responses so far ↓

• 1 NezzaNUFC // Jun 16, 2015 at 10:44 PM

Soccer Sauce have never been reliable just the same old every season – I’m still waiting for PEA to come considering it was Soccer Sauce who said he was at Newcastle in talks over transfer

( He wasn’t even approached nor has he ever came to Newcastle )

• 2 Ibizatoon // Jun 16, 2015 at 10:45 PM

Sami…We don’t have that problem at NUFC anymore.

Must be awful to have players who “sometimes have different ideas or goals they want to achieve”.

Who knows, we may even beat Brighton next time we face them in the cup.Now that Mike wants to win something.

• 3 NezzaNUFC // Jun 16, 2015 at 10:45 PM

bobby mang

Please don’t say Stoke signed one of Newcastle targets !

• 4 NezzaNUFC // Jun 16, 2015 at 10:47 PM

TFL

Wasn’t it 2 season ago when we were linked with him?

I think Pardew wanted him here after seeing what Cisse couldn’t do at RW!

• 5 jon.c // Jun 16, 2015 at 10:50 PM

for goodness sake let us do something just not talking other teams are signing players now

• 6 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 16, 2015 at 10:50 PM

at 28 bit late though?

• 7 NezzaNUFC // Jun 16, 2015 at 10:54 PM

We won’t be approaching anyone until the staff have been filled!

• 8 WWSBRD // Jun 16, 2015 at 10:54 PM

Newcastle where targets dont get bought they just grow older

I bet the Gameiro link is being readied as we speak

• 9 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 16, 2015 at 10:55 PM

WWSBRD too true

• 10 NezzaNUFC // Jun 16, 2015 at 10:56 PM

TFL

It’s just rumors mate, it seems that when a player gets linked to a team the press decide to just add Newcastle into the context.

We are the biggest supporting club in England so it makes sense 😉

• 11 WWSBRD // Jun 16, 2015 at 10:58 PM

Am sure we were linked with this bloke under Hoots no?

• 12 G // Jun 16, 2015 at 10:58 PM

@6 28?

• 13 WWSBRD // Jun 16, 2015 at 10:58 PM

TFL
    Unfortunately buddy

• 14 NezzaNUFC // Jun 16, 2015 at 10:59 PM

G

His age

• 15 Tsunki // Jun 16, 2015 at 10:59 PM

Buzz Mist not kipping at the Malmaison tonight again? No, just the likes of Jeff with his Google quizzes, pro Ashley pathos. And the same tired links to championship players with amusing names. it’s another nufc transfer window kids!

• 16 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 16, 2015 at 10:59 PM

G ok 27 turning 28 in september

• 17 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:00 PM

Tsunki I couldn’t have summed it up better myself mate 🙂

• 18 Ibizatoon // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:04 PM

Tsunki…Just think…it actually is more entertaining than Newcastles football.

Sad times.

• 19 NezzaNUFC // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:05 PM

Lets do our own question of sport but instead call it question of links, I’ll go first

CB – Umiti

Winger – Narsing

Striker – Crouch

• 20 G // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:05 PM

Sorry am i missing something? Article says 23. Am I on the wrong page, or are we talking about Virgil, who it also says is 23, or at least will be in 93 years or so (January 2102?)

• 21 ronaldo aarons // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:07 PM

Expect to hear erdinc linked to us tomorrow, and I heard barnetta has booked a room in a newcastle hotel!!!

• 22 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:07 PM

G I was on about Elmohamedy not dunk

• 23 Tsunki // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:08 PM

Ibiza we’ve been making our own entertainment for so long on here G2 is almost certifiable, I’m ready for a psych Eval for identity crisis, and you are in serious danger of having a swat team plough through your roof for your radical posturing. That’s just three of us in this asylum, which seriously is exactly what it is.

• 24 ronaldo aarons // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:08 PM

I personally would take dunk over van dijk if I am honest, regardless if prices.

• 25 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:09 PM

Paul Scharner flies in tomorrow 🙂

• 26 G // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:09 PM

TFL, thanks for clarification. Though I had forgotten how to count there

• 27 WWSBRD // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:11 PM

Dimitri Payet our next link in the line ladies and gentlemen

• 28 WWSBRD // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:12 PM

ronaldo
    Any reason ud take a Championship CB over a CL one?

• 29 Ibizatoon // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:12 PM

Tsunki…I only started posting as I figured there must be free medication when you sign up.

You can imagine my disappointment.

Anyway, nothing radical about my posting. You must have me confused. I read I was the “blog Dad”. Have to say, Pokat was pretty cool. Shame he left 🙂

So, go on then, on a scale of 1-10, how optimistic are you that this summer and our new HC will provide us with a top 8 finish and a jolly good go at the cups?

• 30 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:13 PM

So really, after another two full work days drift by, still the most solid link is Dab Toss. How thrilling.

• 31 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:13 PM

Payet is on massive wages at Marseille can’t see that happening

• 32 WWSBRD // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:15 PM

TFL
    Not anymore mate those wages dramatically dropped because they didnt get CL plus they got them money issues

• 33 G // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:15 PM

My only prediction for next season – opening fixture, toon vs chelski, away

• 34 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:15 PM

My prediction for the next recycled link is
    Perry Eminates Aboomarang.

• 35 Ibizatoon // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:16 PM

Markaccus…Really really. I like the way you used “work days”. You sound really ticked off.

Relax. We have a long summer of thrills. We need to start slow. It’s been a while, who knows what might happen with the excitement.

• 36 NezzaNUFC // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:16 PM

YouCouldn’tMakeItUp

LOL You Couldn’t Make It Up!

• 37 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:17 PM

WWSBRD
    cracking player but can’t see him coming to us

• 38 Ibizatoon // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:17 PM

G…Might as well add “and a guaranteed 3 points for the Toon” to that.

• 39 BlacknWhiteBarmy // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:18 PM

Yep this is more like it – championship also rans.

Only a few days ago we were linked with Wolfsberg / Anderlecht players, England internationals – now we see the same old same old – cheap players who we can develop and sell at a profit.

Worse is the fact that some of you are taken in with the new, caring, sharing FatAsh

• 40 G // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:19 PM

Ibiza @38, more likely 3 points on my drivers licence mate

• 41 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:19 PM

Someone “leaked” first games of season on twitter and supposedly we have WBA away!

• 42 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:20 PM

Nezza

Ahhh see what you did, there 😀

Ibiza

Well, ticked off yeah, but not surprised. I guess i am just annoyed because its so unlike ashley to break his promi….. oh, never mind…

• 43 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:20 PM

Story out today that Anderlecht want £12-£15 Million for Mitrovic but the other day Anderlecht said he wasn’t for sale. make your mind up!

• 44 Ibizatoon // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:21 PM

G…I’m not sure what sort of driver you are. You might be terrible, in which case, that wouldn’t be a fair gauge for the club.

Still. You’re probably right 🙂

• 45 WWSBRD // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:21 PM

TFL
    True mate its unlikely but hes getting linked with us haha
    At 28 will be considered too old anyway

• 46 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:21 PM

TFL

yep i saw that. Apparently it happens wvery year, and apparently its always a load of b0ll0cks.

• 47 ronaldo aarons // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:22 PM

Wwsbrdd at 28
    I wouldn’t say he is a champions league defender because he plays for Celtic. Gary hooper played in the champions league for Celtic didn’t make him a champions league striker at the time. Plus if he is supposed to be heading to sunderland then he definitely is not a champions league defender.

For me positioning is a big thing for a defender. Each time I’ve seen van dijk play he has been poor positionally and likes to wander forward a bit too much for my liking. Don’t get me wrong I like a ball playing centre half but he can take the biscuit and would get exposed in this league. Plus I’ve seen dunk a few times and he doesn’t shy away from the physical battles and I don’t think I can say the same for van dijk. Just my opinions and how I see it, others will see it differently of course.

• 48 G // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:22 PM

@41, a potential first there then? Could be the first time ever we visit the West Midlands and the sun is shining?

• 49 Oldgit1 // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:22 PM

I suppose the chances of us ever getting a top top signing is long gone.

I can recall the day it was announced that super Mac was signed, then Andy Cole, then to top it off the great Alan shearer. I suppose you could include Michael Owen but I wasn’t overly fussed on him.

There were others that came under the bar of excitement ie. David kelly and Micky Quinn but didn’t take long to get attached to them. They turned out to be great players and deserve their place in history.

The one player that I was over the moon about signing and never let the club down was the great mighty wyn. There was no one like him and he had the heart of a lion.

Will those days ever come back, I don’t think so. Do I want Austin , yes it’s a step in the right direction but is only classed as under the bar for excitement for me. Perhaps that’s because of the club standing.

• 50 Belfast // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:22 PM

Soccer Sauce are full of shite. I cannot believe people are still being taken in by these accounts.

• 51 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:22 PM

yeah I know YCMIU
    I bet we’ve either got West Ham or Scumderland

• 52 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:24 PM

I think i will only make anagrams of bas dost from now on. So far i have Dab Toss and Sad Bots.

• 53 Ibizatoon // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:25 PM

Markaccus…Don’t say that. It isn’t Ashleys fault. Have you no heart?

If it doesn’t work out this season, don’t you worry, he’ll give it another go next season. He’s here for the long haul, until we win something!

I’ve been overwhelmed at the efforts he’s gone to make this dream a reality. I mean, not hring Carver. Right there is a sign of man who wants to go places.

I really shouldn’t get this excited late at night. I wont be able to sleep thinking about CL football in the 2016/17 season.

• 54 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:26 PM

Ronaldo

Surely if any defender would “take the biscuit” its going to be the one called “Dunk” 😀

• 55 G // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:26 PM

@49, I remember when we signed Andy Cole, and thinking ‘Andy who from Bristol what’? Halcyon days

• 56 WWSBRD // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:26 PM

ronaldo aarons
    Fair doos mate I dont really know enough about either to have a real opinion just seemed a strange one

Heard good thinks about both so I wouldnt turn my nose up at either haha as for van djik that description it could easily be applied to Colo

• 57 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:28 PM

Ibiza

Ok ok. I will give him 3 more last chances….maybe 4 but THATS IT!

• 58 BlacknWhiteBarmy // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:29 PM

OldGit – you forgot Peter Withe – used to love the fact that he would be on the pitch 15 mins before anyone else whilst the rest had the team talk

• 59 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:29 PM

Tad Boss

• 60 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:29 PM

Ronaldo, Dunk is a decent cb you are right he’s be a major upgrade on our current defence, maybe Brighton can take Williamson the other way?

• 61 ronaldo aarons // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:30 PM

YCMIU at 54
    Lol, walked right into that one!

• 62 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:30 PM

Abs Dots

• 63 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:30 PM

Ronaldo

Yeah. It almost seemed too good to be true 😀

• 64 WWSBRD // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:31 PM

Isnt Williamson Leeds bound? Have i missed something?

• 65 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:31 PM

Dot Bass

• 66 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:31 PM

Ado Stab?

• 67 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:32 PM

supposedly WWSBRD but nowt been heard on that for ages

• 68 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:32 PM

They all sound like Gungans from Starwars.

• 69 Ibizatoon // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:32 PM

Markaccus…You mean until his next epiphany? He get’s at least 5 chances per epiphany mate. I wouldn’t want to live in a world where that wasn’t so.

Right, that’s enough rambling from me. It must be time for meds. I mean bed. Wait, am I supposed to have taken meds?

Goodnight.

• 70 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:32 PM

Ado stabs even or
    Stab Sado

• 71 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:33 PM

where am I getting extra a from durrh

• 72 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:33 PM

Stab sod

• 73 ronaldo aarons // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:34 PM

Wwsbrd at 56
    I would really hate to see colo and van dijk together lol, I’ll be the first calling for Williamson!! I guess it would be like colo and mbiwa in the fact that they couldn’t play together but the club and management sided with colo rather than the other. I could see the same happen again tbh as I think we’ll have colo for at least 1 more year.

• 74 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:34 PM

TFL

There are two ‘s’ and one ‘A’, but i’ll give you a b+ because ‘stab’ is good 😀

• 75 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:34 PM

Tfl

Thats better. A* lol

• 76 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:35 PM

pmsl YCMIU 🙂

• 77 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:35 PM

Do Stabs

• 78 John Tudor // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:36 PM

i see it now
    we failed to get x y and z over the line,but…….
    we feel we have sufficient cover for our starting 17 but if need be we can strengthen in january.
    fcukin bollox we want no demand players of quality in now

• 79 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:36 PM

YCMIU
    Dot Bass sounds like a landlady or bar maid lol

• 80 ronaldo aarons // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:36 PM

Tfl at 60
    Yeah he would be good especially if he can do this more often!!!
    In his defence, that was like 3 years ago when he was still a rookie.

• 81 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:37 PM

Sod Bats

• 82 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:37 PM

SD Boast

• 83 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:38 PM

BASTODS

• 84 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:39 PM

TFL

Mashley always likes a boast about SD!

• 85 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:39 PM

BS Toads

• 86 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:40 PM

Could that be an omen YCMIU 🙂

• 87 ronaldo aarons // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:41 PM

West ham have apparently made a bid of 15 million euros for payet!!!

• 88 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:41 PM

Maybe, but not a good one i’d guess

• 89 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:41 PM

So have we Ronaldo apparently lol

• 90 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:42 PM

BDS Oats.

• 91 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:43 PM

I think BS Toads sums up Newcastle board quite nicely

• 92 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:43 PM

Right. Stretching it now, so i think i will retire to my pit.

Night all. Looking forward to tomorows momentous dealings

• 93 ronaldo aarons // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:44 PM

And simon kjaer is moving to Fenerbahce for around £7 million. That’s a good deal.

• 94 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:44 PM

Think i will stick with Dab Toss.

• 95 WWSBRD // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:44 PM

TFL
    Ah ok thought it had maybe been dispelled as rumours

ronaldo
    Yeah mate I agree Colo/MYM partnership was always going to be terrible for us. MYM was brought in at a time the club thought Colo was leaving and then that didnt happen so we got stuck

As for Dunk or Van Djik Id rather have Dragovic haha

• 96 GeordieTwo // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:45 PM

Have we won any silverware yet? I know Ashley is in a hurry to win something now so I don’t want to miss anything.

• 97 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:46 PM

Dragovic and Sule what a partnership WWSBRD lol

• 98 WWSBRD // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:49 PM

TFL
    Thats the lads for us haha

• 99 GeordieTwo // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:49 PM

I know summer silverware is difficult to come by but still….possibly pick something up at a flea market in the Toon Mike?

• 100 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:50 PM

cutlery should be easy enough to pick up G2 lol

• 101 GeordieTwo // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:50 PM

A nice old silver teapot possibly? Something the tea lady could present to the lads at the end of next season?

• 102 GeordieTwo // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:51 PM

Cutlery is good as well TFL mate but we want something the lads can raise over their heads and parade around. I believe Mike will go for the silver teapot.

• 103 GeordieTwo // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:54 PM

A lot of good silverware out there to be had Mike. Possibly you can have Graham pick something up in France on his next scouting trip. I know we’re looking carefully at the French U-10 team right now.

• 104 GeordieTwo // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:56 PM

That’s the girls U-10 side of course. We can’t really afford anybody from the boys side sadly. 🙁

• 105 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 16, 2015 at 11:56 PM

Sakho from west ham?

• 106 BandB // Jun 17, 2015 at 12:01 AM

Bad Toss seems the obvious one.
    As in “that looks like a Bad Toss to lose, Geoffrey.”

• 107 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 17, 2015 at 12:06 AM

sounds bout right B&B lol

• 108 Canny in Canberra // Jun 17, 2015 at 2:11 AM

At last we’re talking defenders and a midfielder on the last post wasn’t it?
    And yes before anyone says anything, I will wait to celebrate until they are walking out the tunnel in black and white.

• 109 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 17, 2015 at 2:14 AM

We need the players in now Canny before they all get snapped up

• 110 Canny in Canberra // Jun 17, 2015 at 2:53 AM

No worries, TFL. I’ll sort that now. If only!!

• 111 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 17, 2015 at 2:55 AM

haha, Just watched the matilda’s did well to qualify for next round

• 112 Canny in Canberra // Jun 17, 2015 at 2:57 AM

Cool, can’t say I’m keeping up with it but glad they’re doing well. The Roos just beat one of the Stans in the WCQ 2:1

• 113 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 17, 2015 at 3:06 AM

ah cool

• 114 Toon Tang // Jun 17, 2015 at 3:08 AM

Have yous lot shat the bed? Or is it just me??

• 115 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 17, 2015 at 3:10 AM

toon tang, I can’t sleep and it’s lunchtime in oz lol

• 116 Toon Tang // Jun 17, 2015 at 3:18 AM

Ah tfl, good lad. Insomnia’s a bastard though aint it.. The only upside to insomnia is, you’ve only got 3 more sleeps till crimbo hahaha

Sorry, couldn’t resist mate.

I’m hitting the hay anyways. Have a good ‘en tfl

• 117 Canny in Canberra // Jun 17, 2015 at 4:21 AM

Hey TFL. You still about? Lunch break. Won’t be able to cht through the day after this week as new job and not desk based.

• 118 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 17, 2015 at 4:47 AM

aye I am canny

• 119 Canny in Canberra // Jun 17, 2015 at 5:40 AM

Quiet today. Lads over the water must be having early nights eh?

• 120 Canny in Canberra // Jun 17, 2015 at 5:42 AM

All the stories go up when I get home so will check in then. Pray God we have some one over the line by the need of the week.

• 121 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 17, 2015 at 5:44 AM

I can only hope so canny

• 122 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 17, 2015 at 5:45 AM

£10 million not bad

• 123 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jun 17, 2015 at 5:45 AM

So how’s all the optimism working for you guys?

I have always found it’s easier to be optimistic when something presents itself to be optimistic about! As of now nothing has really changed ergo no need for change in mind frame.

Then again Newcastle doesn’t fill up much of my time…I have no problem going about my day a happy lad 🙂

• 124 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jun 17, 2015 at 5:47 AM

TFL…if Austin is £15M then Cisse is a bargain at £10M 😉

• 125 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 17, 2015 at 5:47 AM

Jesper I’ll be more optimistic when we see some new players holding B&W shirts

• 126 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 17, 2015 at 5:48 AM

I’d take £10 mil if it means we get Austin

• 127 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jun 17, 2015 at 5:50 AM

So Canny…what kind of work will you be doing where they deprive you of a laptop and a phone 🙂

• 128 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jun 17, 2015 at 5:57 AM

TFL…it’s a good thing you’re not paying then!

…who runs the finances in your house? The Missus 😉

• 129 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 17, 2015 at 5:58 AM

it says that cisse’s fee will go towards more expensive signings i.e Austin

• 130 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jun 17, 2015 at 6:04 AM

TFL…you don’t take a cut on one important player just because you want another player…especially not when the two of them are not linked together!

…is that how would sell your own house or does this only apply to other ppl’s money?

• 131 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 17, 2015 at 6:06 AM

It just applies to NUFC showing some ambition for a change

• 132 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 17, 2015 at 6:07 AM

tbf we only paid £9 million for him and he is now 30

• 133 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jun 17, 2015 at 6:10 AM

Selling player’s on the cheap and buying at and inflated price show ambition?

…it also show naivety and stupidity! A club like that will never amount to anything unless money is never going to be a problem (hence Chelski and Citeh)

• 134 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jun 17, 2015 at 6:11 AM

TFL…and QPR paid what for Austin who’s contract runs out in 2016

• 135 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 17, 2015 at 6:16 AM

Chile midfielder Arturo Vidal has been arrested on suspicion of drink driving after crashing his Ferrari in Santiago.

• 136 firebug666 // Jun 17, 2015 at 6:35 AM

Morning world.

All excited for another day of nothing rumours, Maybe we could better spend our time guessing which other clubs will be signing our alleged targets.

• 137 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jun 17, 2015 at 6:39 AM

firebug…collecting and categorizing stamps would be more sensible!

• 138 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Jun 17, 2015 at 6:43 AM

For the last few years we have all had to sit back and watch while other Clubs progress and develop themselves making good signings along the way.
    Look at Swansea and Southampton as examples, who if the Swans are looked at in particular always seem to end up getting the players we have been linked to previously?

Swansea got Wilfred Boney after a summers long Transfer circus of Bull on here, the same is the case with Bethtame Gomis who looked at the Hype and the set up at Newcastle and chose to go elsewhere because the other clubs were offering more salary and better contracts.
    Now i read two days ago that Ayew is on his way to Swansea and there goes another so called long term target of Ours.

Juami, a target of ours for a short time, but called a great Spanish talent and on the Radar of a lot of clubs in UK? we have only been linked for a short time, where is he going? No, not to us, but to Southampton.

Too long have i watched in wonder how every window other Clubs strengthen their playing staff and we sit back and do Cock all ! We are just too slow, in our dealings, Austin is now a player where a lot has been said in the last few weeks, i don,t believe for one minute that we will sign him because if they were going to get him he would of been stood in the stands beside Mclaren by now. He wil probably end up at Liverpool who move quicker when it comes to buying players. But then, everyone seems to be more decisive than us? It took us more than six months to name a Head Coach which was why we almost ended up taking the drop to the Championship.

Nothing has changed, despite Ashley,s intervieuw just before the West Ham game a few weeks ago.

NUFC is still the circus it has been for the last few years and we will be the same for as long as Ashley is in charge!

• 139 firebug666 // Jun 17, 2015 at 6:43 AM

jesper

I did that yesterday.

Today is the day for the new fixture list to come out, drawn in about two hours time.

Then back to normal.

• 140 firebug666 // Jun 17, 2015 at 6:49 AM

NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Totally agree with you, we spend too much time playing hardball over the fee, and the wages built up with incentives, other clubs just get on with it, pay the fee, and offer a decent wage structure, they take a few days or maybe a week to finalise, we take months.

We have lost out on so many players simply because we would not pay that extra one or two million.

• 141 expatmag // Jun 17, 2015 at 6:53 AM

Taking this year alone, Ashley has raked in:

3.5 million for Pardew from Palace
    5.5 million for Mbiwa from Roma
    2.8 million for Santon from Inter
    1.0 million for the Rangers 5
    and quite a few extra million saved on salaries of players who have left/leaving.

By my calculation, that alone could buy Austin and with some left to spare.

• 142 Ron Knee // Jun 17, 2015 at 6:57 AM

… and we buy players ‘on special offer’ rather than strengthening in areas where we are chronically weak.

• 143 Jib // Jun 17, 2015 at 7:12 AM

We may sneer at The Daily Mirror being NUFC’s preferred media partner, but if these stories about Das Boot and Dunk yer biscuit turn out to be true , then we have something other club’s fans don’t , a reliable media source.

• 144 firebug666 // Jun 17, 2015 at 7:15 AM

If ever there was a definition of delusional it’s right here, Jeff thinks the Daily Mirror is a reliable source.

• 145 Jib // Jun 17, 2015 at 7:28 AM

This story is interesting because it shows (in my humble opinion ) that McClaran is looking at wing backs (and El Mohamedy is a good one) and thinking of playing just 3 across the back.
    Janmaat Dummett and Haidara across the back with a couple of whippets down the wings ,with Colo sitting in front as DM , would defo work for me.

• 146 expatmag // Jun 17, 2015 at 7:28 AM

What is a worry is that we are being linked with championship players although some may turn out to be premiership standard in the long run.

Dunk Chester Hughes Brady Mings etc allied to Darlow and Lascelles from Forest plus a whole host of loanees returning as possible fringe players like Vuckic and Ferguson and current kids in the senior squad like Armstrong Aarons and Perez leaves us with little class and experience.

We need to sign quality and not up and comings.

• 147 hibbit // Jun 17, 2015 at 7:28 AM

our biggest problem at the moment is the coaching staff i have told Mc has pick the the staff he wants but charnley cannot come to an agreement with them over wages Mc wanted this sorted by monday but with all things nufc they drag on

• 148 Jib // Jun 17, 2015 at 7:32 AM

Firebug
    Do you ever read a post properly or does your sneerometer come into play straightaway ?

I said

“IF THE STORIES TURN OUT TO BE TRUE”

Mind lad , you fit right in with the negger section on here.

• 149 Ron Knee // Jun 17, 2015 at 7:34 AM

hibbit
    It looks like Charnley is pressing the self-destruct button once again.

• 150 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jun 17, 2015 at 7:35 AM

How many players is that the TOON have been linked with since the close of the season on this web site – must be closing in on 50 and what have we bought – diddle squat.
    Ed should have player target counter and a tick box if we get one over the line.
    It’s getting more and more like nowt’s changed.
    I’ll have a guess we will start next season with 8 or 9 players from this years squad

• 151 firebug666 // Jun 17, 2015 at 7:38 AM

Jeff @148

This telling off come from a person who uses Daily Mirror and reliable source in the same sentence?

Other clubs don’t need outside reliable media sources as they communicate with their fans.

Our club gives us the most un-reliable source in the daily mirror, but hey if it works for you mate crack on.

• 152 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jun 17, 2015 at 7:40 AM

It’s not like a forward is the only player we need!

• 153 Jib // Jun 17, 2015 at 7:50 AM

If McLaren is going the wing back route which of these could be our 2 Danny Alves’s
    Sylvain Marveaux
    Gael Bigirimana
    Olivier Kemen
    Rolando Aarons
    Vurnon Anita
    Haris Vu?ki?
    Gabriel Obertan
    Mehdi Abeid
    Samuel Ameobi

Even a plonker like Obertan could be coached to do it if the task was kept simple enough.

• 154 BandB // Jun 17, 2015 at 8:01 AM

The Shields Gazette reports we are “looking” at Will Hughes…but that he’s rated at £15m by his club.
    I wonder if we have the nerve to ask if we could take a player from a lower division on loan?

• 155 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jun 17, 2015 at 8:01 AM

Can anyone tell me what the TOON pay Charmless for.

Maybe to bock deals/make them hard to get over the line

• 156 nut meg // Jun 17, 2015 at 8:03 AM

hibbit
    So Mc can have anyone he wants as long as it’s the cheapest. It’s another example of why Charnley is in the wrong job & should be replaced with a real football man.

• 157 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 17, 2015 at 8:04 AM

BandB,
    It gets better, the Chronicle are saying we are “weighing up a bid” for Charlie Austin.

• 158 Tsunki // Jun 17, 2015 at 8:05 AM

Perhaps Obertan should have Googled how to play better Jeff?

If it’s quiz day again, first off, how many Bag Dust articles today? I reckon one, with a mention in another two. Dost Dunk Van Dijk. Dost Dunk Van Dijk etc.

Headline – “Mag Boss Dumps Dunk But Bags Dost” that’s free that one Ed.

• 159 sparky55 // Jun 17, 2015 at 8:10 AM

Charlie

Penny dropped!

but in reality the best negotiator in the world couldnt work under ashley’s remit and rules

Only pay half of what they want
    Only sell for double what they’re worth
    Only offer wage structures based on minimum wage plus bonus’
    then Blame the agents for making unreasonable demands

maybe that’s why the line can’t ever be crossed

• 160 Average_Contents // Jun 17, 2015 at 8:15 AM

Lil

Only after stating the club want £10m for cisse which would fund the more expensive strikers. Selling in order to buy for a change apparently. Yay.

Didn’t it also say the brains trust are meeting this week to discuss targets? How long has shteve been in the job. Fcuk me.

They’ve got all the speed of a sloth. Before we know it the season will be upon us and they’ll still be arranging the meeting.

• 161 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Jun 17, 2015 at 11:13 PM

Micah Richards has signed for Aston Villa on a free transfer !

Confirmation on Teletext ! Too freeking Slow !

Villa have signed him because Ron Vlaar is still to sign a new contract as his old one runs out soon ?

Same Old, Same Old !