Newcastle Face Competition For Charlton Central Midfielder

There were reports in March that Newcastle United were interested in central midfielder Jordan Cousins, who has played for all the England Youth sides through the U21 level and plays for Charlton Athletic.

And there’s news today in the Mail that Newcastle, Aston Villa and Liverpool are the three Premier League clubs after the 21 year-old, but it seems that Villa are the front-runners for his signature.

jordan cousins emp

Jordan Cousins – Aston Villa and Liverpool also interested

Jordan Cousins has only one year left on his contract,  and he could be a good (bargain) signing for Newcastle if we can get him through the door.

Newcastle need a young central midfielder,  and yesterday we were linked with Manchester United’s 22 year-old midfielder Jesse Lingard, and Steve McClaren had him on loan at Derby County in the second half of last season.

Cousins came through the Charlton Youth Academy and he made his debut in August of 2013 in a 4–0 win against Oxford United in the Capital One Cup.

He played 47 times for Charlton this season with 3 goals and 4 assists, and overall he has made 94 total appearances with five goals and six assists over the last two seasons for the Charlton first team.

He was born in Greenwich and part of Newcastle’s policy is to bring in young players on small (make that smallish) transfer fees, who have yet to fully develop as players.

Then when they have developed into better players at Newcastle, they are usually sold on at a big profit.

But maybe with the possible change in the way Newcastle are being run by owner Mike Ashley, starting next season – we will try to keep our best players and build up a really good squad who can win something.

We hope so.

In March we were also linked with Charlton’s 17 year-old England defender Joe Gomez, who can play at center-back or right back.

And even though Joe has only just turned 18, he already stands 6’2? tall and played 24 times for the Charlton first team last season.

Gomez has played for the England U16, U17 and U19 Youth sides, but Arsenal, Liverpool and Aston Villa are the three Premier League clubs interested in him,  but no mention of Newcastle this time around for the very promising center-back.

• Edd Case

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:17 PM

Would be nice to get any signing in…

Get the feeling this will be another horrible transfer window at this rate…

• JamesToon

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:18 PM

By no means dunk should be our top centre back target, vlaar or van disk should be priorities

• BigB75

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:19 PM

Good TFL just living the dream!!!

• firebug666

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:25 PM

No backroom staff announced
    No transfer activity announced
    No date for the fans forum meeting announced

No surprises there then!

• Bambams

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:29 PM

I cannot understand the mentality of Ash/Charn.
    They extend the season ticket deadline but do nothing to entice the fans that things will be better.

I genuinely thought we would have a great chance of getting Austin, pull out all the red carpet and offer him #9 shirt. This would have also ignited the fans a bit more….

Alas we must not be in the running or we have no intention in signing him.

Plenty of time still to go but I would of thought one big signing would have been announced by now.

I have heard we were watching the development of Jurgen Klinsmann for the last 18 years but did not want to be rash…..

• mickalfas

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:29 PM

I’d be more surprised if they had announced a signing
    Mcclaren talking shite doesn’t fill me with inspiration, another puppet ? Time will tell !!

• ToonFromLeeds

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:31 PM

Lewis scored more than most of our team put together last season and he;s a defender

• ToonFromLeeds

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:32 PM

I agree Mickalfas we need to see some new players with shirts in their hands

• Our Toon

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:32 PM

Bambams

If you gave Austin the no9 shirt what then happens to Cisse? More importantly how will that play out with the players and the morale of the team?

Austin is decent but is way over hyped because he’s English. He scored 14 goals from open play if you don’t include his pens, from 35 games in a team that was more attacking than ours. Cisse scored more per min even if you include Austin’s penalties

• Bambams

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:38 PM

OurToon

I rate Cisse, always have as an instinctive half chance finisher. I just think Austin is a very good striker, I feel offering him the number 9 would help get him here and if I had to choose I would have him now in the 9 role more than Cisse.
    That’s just my opinion fella.

Cisse could be offered 10 or 99 I am not that worried. He has been no 9 for the last 4 years or so.

We need strikers and if dangling the nine shirt helps I would do this.

Just my thoughts fella.
    Cheers for the craic

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:39 PM

Our Toon…no problem mate 🙂

• mickalfas

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:40 PM

IF we get a striker,Cisse will end up in Qatar,on age grounds, i fear !

• Average_Contents

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:40 PM

I keep thinking of nufc as like one of those ugly little guys with zero charisma you tend to see trying to chat up a fitty at the Christmas party.

A handsome guy who’s slightly taller comes over and starts chatting to her too.

The small ugly guy makes his apologies and backs away looking all embarrassed as if to say if anyone else is after her it’s not worth the effort.

Until drunkenly later in the night he tries to kiss her but ends up projectile vomiting in her face. Then gets told to fcukoff you weirdo.

Small ugly guy = nufc
    Fitty = transfer target
    Handsome guy = any other club.
    Drunkenly later = 4 transfer windows.

Also applies to Jeff/Jane/jib/speaker of all languages known to man (other not known also) life too I’d wager.

• ToonFromLeeds

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:41 PM

Fair point BamBams didn’t shearer offer the number 9 to owen?

• ToonFromLeeds

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:42 PM

very valid point AC good analogy too

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:44 PM

AC…something you want to tell mate 😀

• firebug666

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:47 PM

So this is the new look Newcastle, with all those major changes.

One new puppet, same old drivel, and then nothing.

Still looking on the bright side, if we survive this season we get to do it all again, but with around £70m sitting in the bank to not spend. Whooo Hoooo!

• Bambams

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:47 PM

TFL
    Fella I think he did, we all know the story behind the KK signing Shearer and Big Les.
    Fellas I could be wrong but I think we can all agree the nine is iconic. If it helps get another dare I say better striker than Cisse/Austin/Another than we should use this. Man U or Chelsea have no qualms in moving on the King for a new King ( look at Petr Cech)

Getting back though, just thought we may have done something a little more productive by now

Cheers fellas

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:48 PM

I have no problems signing some standout players from the championship who have had a few seasons experience

I mean Bale, Walcott , Lallana , Austin , Jagielka , Coleman , Baines etc all learned their trades in the lower leagues and became gems we also got the likes of Bellamy who was amazing for us

2 or 3 would be no problem but we also need players from other leagues as well !!

• firebug666

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:49 PM

Soccer Sauce ?@soccer_sauce 1m1 minute ago
    Talks have commenced between Newcastle and Wolfsburg for ST Bas Dost. No bid submitted as of yet #NUFC

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:54 PM

firebug…Newcastle do seem to talk alot 😉

…alot of all this talking couldn’t it had taken place a long time ago

• geordieboy83

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:54 PM

Gotta say lewis dunk is a very very decent young footballer. His ability is way above that of Brighton. Championship players shouldnt be judged coz of the league they play in.

I reckon theres more players in the premiership that are worse than a lot of chpionship players

• ToonFromLeeds

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:54 PM

is it Austin or Dost? or Austin & dost? I’d prefer Austin over dost!

• Lost Plot

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:56 PM

Hopefully Carr is luring all clubs into his scouting network until they maximise there squads THEN we’ll jump on the players we really want

• firebug666

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:56 PM

jesper

All of this should have been started before the end of the season, you cannot talk to players but you can make enquiries, and contact agents etc.

Our club is not slow, they are just bone idle, they can’t be bothered to pick up the phone, unless maybe to order a pizza.

• mickalfas

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:57 PM

Firebug666
    And if he can keep us up next year ,he hits the jackpot when the new TV deal kicks in,what is it another £50m a year ,
    We’ll never get rid of the parasite!!

• Average_Contents

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:57 PM

Jesperlemon

Certainly not lol. It’s just how I envisage us trying to get fittys (targets) then ultimately failing after drunkenly chasing said fitty (target) for years only to get repeatedly told no. JUST NO.

Stalkerish like.

Then rocking back and forth uncontrollably because we’ve put too much emotionally into someone who doesn’t want us and we never had a plan B

• RUNAWAY777

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:59 PM

come on ed tell us who we are going to sign and not someone where after then tell us aston villa are in the lead for the play,we have already lost one player to southampton come on give us some good news for a change ed

• Our Toon

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:01 PM

Bambams

I’m happy to give the no9 shirt to a striker that’s good enough or has a better goal ratio than Cisse, 3:16 aka Austin just didn’t do enough for me last season to warrant such hype. Anyway we need to improve the squad so hopefully we have some movement soon regarding new players otherwise it’ll be a long summer

• firebug666

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:03 PM

TFL

If the rumours are to be believed, (and they are just rumours), then we are going after both of them.

mickalfas

Unfortunately you are right, where money is concerned Ashley will never get his fill. Time to dig in guys this is a long term venture I’m afraid, and it will take a lot more than a boycott to shift the lard ass.

• lesh

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:03 PM

And yet another we’ve supposedly been watching for months yet Villa, Villa have stolen a march on him.

Maybe we should spend a little time on softening players up so that signing becomes a formality!

• mickalfas

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:03 PM

Geordieboy
    Too right they all play for us !!

• BandB

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:03 PM

Come on Ed.
    Get your finger out and get some players signed.
    Feeling positive….

• geordieboy83

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:05 PM

Mickalfas, that actually made me belly chuckle

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:06 PM

AC…alright alright;)

…just checking lol

firebug…Charmless should have been told to clear out his desk along with Carver and Stone!

• firebug666

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:09 PM

jesper

Whilst I agree with that mate, who would replace him…..Llambias? Kinnear?

We all know what Ashley is like now, and the prospect of another of his cronies would be demoralising.

• ToonFromLeeds

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:10 PM

I hope so firebug

• Bambams

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:15 PM

OurToon
    I have to admit I have only watched Austin five or six times during sky matches. I see a few pros rate him and to be honest that is as much as I can offer. What I have seen of him reminds me of Paul Goddard more than a Shearer type of player. He looks strong and a decent finisher. My other reason is he must have learned quite a bit from Sir Les ( player I really rated).
    All in all I think if we get the players to provide chances, he and/or Cisse could score goals. I like the look of him. By that I mean new players not obertan or Sammy. ….With respect to them.

I just think the days players walked to Newcastle to sign for us are gone, like you have said also I would happily give over the shirt for the right player. Who that player will be who knows
    Cheers fella

• dantoon85

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:17 PM

Another day of the same old drivel. Such and such beat us to this player and this club is now ahead of us to sign this player and blah blah blah blah blah.

Frustrating or what!!!