The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Mike Ashley’s Personality Described In Detail

12:07 pm, Saturday, June 20th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 29 Comments

Bob Moncur tried to convince fans when we were in a losing streak under John Carver that big money was available in the summer, and we were going to spend it on players this summer – but that went over like a lead balloon and framed Bob as one of the insiders at the club.

John Carver had also come out and said we were going after some really top players this summer – to try to raise the mood of fans – but we’ve heard it all before.

bobby moncur 12987

Bob Moncur – some PR for his boss

We could have Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi as targets, but if we have no chance of signing them – so what’s the point.

And we seem to have already missed out on some of our targets this summer.

Today Moncur is trying to convince the Newcastle fans that Mike Ashley is really a good bloke – if we only knew him:

“Don’t forget I do the corporate so my tin hat was having to get stronger and stronger as the weeks went on! The starting point for that final day was the owner going on TV.”

“That was great. All the lounges, everything stopped when he went on the telly. I think that was great and even last week I was speaking to people saying it’s given them a lift.”

“People have this image of Mike Ashley but I’m fortunate that when I go to away games I sometimes speak to him. He’s nothing like he’s painted to be.”

“He’s quite a funny bloke and he’s honest and upfront. He’s got a passion – I know people say he’s got no passion for the club, but he has.”

“The fact he went on TV and said he’s got a passion for the club and he wants success was good. I have known that for some time but the problem you have is when you try to tell people who don’t know what he’s like, it’s hard to convince them.”

“He’s got this image that, if you were sat next to him now, he’s down-to-earth and he’s a good bloke. I’ve got no problem with him and if I didn’t think that was the case, I wouldn’t go on the board.”

“I cannot tell what will happen but I will be honest, that’s what I can offer. I’ve got a bit of experience, I’ve been there and seen it and if I’m asked my opinion I will give it.”

“If people accept that and pay attention to it, only time will tell.”

After seeing him on Sky Sports he’s  lot different than we thought – and in truth he seems a decent enough guy.

And the best advice for Mike Ashley is to give two or three of those interviews a year – it will make him more human to fans – but we doubt he will do that.

But the proof of the pudding of what he said will be in how we perform in this summer’s transfer window, and as fans have been saying – actions speak louder than words.

We’ve had far too much talk in the past at Newcastle and no success for far too long.

Tags: Newcastle News · Other News · Transfer News and Rumours

29 responses so far ↓

• 1 TudorCrisps // Jun 20, 2015 at 12:13 PM

Judas!!!

• 2 spitfire_ // Jun 20, 2015 at 12:17 PM

And the fans should cares that ashley is “down-to-earth and he’s a good bloke” or “he’s quite a funny bloke” or “he’s got a passion”, because…?

And let’s recap.

After 8 years of mocking and irritate the fans, after he made the club a laughing stock and the clowns of the PL, Moncur decide to blow the trumpet in honour to ashley because in private talks he is a “funny guy”?

I have some hope in him after he want ashley to make Shearer a permanent manager for the Championship campaign. I have some hope for him, after he defend pardew in every single opportunity. But this is too much for me. I’ve lost all respect to him.

• 3 Mister Tuff // Jun 20, 2015 at 12:18 PM

Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 20, 2015 at 11:46 AM
    Kilcline
    What is the link? What are the facts? How do you know? Simple questions.

Hahahaha – good laugh this morning -Blockhead wanting to know the facts. When he does get the facts he still whinges on. He never produces facts himself as he doesn’t know any.

Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 20, 2015 at 12:04 PM
    Bog fact? Old blockhead meant blog fact of course. Then again.

Hahahaha – Blockhead you were right first time -your ” facts” eminate from the lavatory.
    (oops lavatory is a big word for a bog).

• 4 optimistic prime // Jun 20, 2015 at 12:19 PM

Mr Moncour, one of the club and Ashley’s biggest critics until he took his pieces of eight.

Bobs words would hold a lot more weight if he disscused the problems he saw from outside and how they are being addressed.

I expected more of a spine from a once great captain of the club. I accept he needs the dosh but to do a complete u turn is disgraceful.

I once respected and admired you bob, say something that isn’t scripted and preferably the truth and I could hold you in the same regard again.

On that note am, I the only one who things it’s unbelievable the only person attached to the club to speak his mind unscripted in 8years is JFK?

You couldn’t make it up, he might have though.

• 5 kilcline // Jun 20, 2015 at 12:20 PM

I hold Ashley in the same regard as toonfromleeds, Tony Blair and Sepp Blatter

• 6 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 20, 2015 at 12:20 PM

OP

You rang? 😀

• 7 Shot Bru // Jun 20, 2015 at 12:21 PM

Moncur is skint and just topping up his pension!! Another one of Ashley’s puppets…

He can’t believe his luck being part of the board…Ashley is taking the piss appointing a former captain who won our last trophy 46 years ago…reminding us that we are an average club and should know our place..a club that should just be happy to exist in the EPL for his benefit and nothing else..

Ashley is a sociopath..he has more faces than the town clock!!

Ashley Out.

• 8 Pootle2118 // Jun 20, 2015 at 12:21 PM

“He’s quite a funny bloke and he’s honest and upfront”

Yep, he’s quite the comedian I’ll give him that but honest and upfront………juries out!

• 9 Bri // Jun 20, 2015 at 12:22 PM

If i were Austin no way would i sign for Newcastle. If he did sign it wouldn’t be long before he regretted it.

• 10 jazzyp // Jun 20, 2015 at 12:22 PM

In 20 days time we start our pre season run of games in the build up to the new season. And as of yet there is not really any hope of one single player coming through the door in time.
    Surely all plans and targets have been assessed ready for a summer push to spend this supposed transfer kitty

• 11 Jib // Jun 20, 2015 at 12:22 PM

SM is sniffing around Schalke through old German contacts from his Wolfsburg days

Kevin-Prince Boateng, Sidney Sam and Felipe Santana are all available but Joel Matip is top of his list.

• 12 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 20, 2015 at 12:24 PM

Kilcline
    Apart from not believe you what have I done for the insults you are giving me?

• 13 optimistic prime // Jun 20, 2015 at 12:25 PM

Everything you need to know about Saylor.

If we start next year with Saylor and Colo in our ranks I’ll feel as let down as I would have if they’d kept Carver.

Piss poor the pair of them, championship at best!

• 14 optimistic prime // Jun 20, 2015 at 12:28 PM

Markus

Sorry for taking your name in vain

• 15 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 20, 2015 at 12:30 PM

Tfl

Just leave it, mate. It isn’t worth the bother. The more you reply, the more they think they are winning some kind of prize.

This blog raises blood pressure. I am making a new-season resolution. I will niether cause nor respond to derogatory remarks that are aimed at someones honest opinion. See how long i can keep it. 😀

• 16 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 20, 2015 at 12:31 PM

OP

I will cast thee down and smite thee with my furious anger!

Or i could just stop being stupid :p

• 17 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 20, 2015 at 12:32 PM

YCMIU thanks I just can’t believe what an arrogant c**t.

• 18 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 20, 2015 at 12:33 PM

Op

I think they might still be at the club, but certainly if they are the starting pair then i will give up on life!

• 19 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 20, 2015 at 12:33 PM

YCMIU thanks mate, couldn’t believe the arrogant twat!

The club needs to be more open with the fans

• 20 The overrated Frenchman // Jun 20, 2015 at 12:34 PM

Bob Moncur has been out of the real world of football for a couple of generations now. Sure, have him around to do the meet-and-greet fluff, but to put him on the board makes no good sense. In fact this “football board” we have carefully assembled is so obviously a rag-tag bunch of misfits, completely unfit for purpose, it’s hard to believe.

• 21 jane // Jun 20, 2015 at 12:37 PM

in answer to my question last night this is what is being filmed in North Shields, apologies if anyone answered and I didn’t see.

“Tasha Robson, 16, has run away from home. While she rides the waves aboard the large ferry heading from South Shields, England to Scandinavia in search of her unknown father “The Viking” all is less than calm in the Robson household.

A modern day rites-of-passage adventure set in the North East of England and the magical landscape of Norway. ”

• 22 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 20, 2015 at 12:38 PM

ToF

Agree about Bob M. But i am reserving judgement on the “football board” until they start (if) signing players. I am not overly optomistic

• 23 Pootle2118 // Jun 20, 2015 at 12:41 PM

Must admit, the step of placing your manager/HC on the board is a bit of a mind fk IMO. How many people are on this ‘board’. I know Penfold, Schtevie, Mr Carr and fossil Moncur.
    Anymore?

• 24 davidon // Jun 20, 2015 at 12:43 PM

Bob Moncur, really you should be ashamed of yourself.
    I know you need a job but to suck up to a man out to rape our club and ignore the fans, i find it hard to believe you can meet and greet people with an with a clear consaince.

• 25 Bri // Jun 20, 2015 at 12:44 PM

Will we actually have a couple of coaches in place before the start of the season,never mind players. Will Williamson still be at the club? Will Colo still be here?

• 26 The overrated Frenchman // Jun 20, 2015 at 12:46 PM

YCMIU- I don’t think you are alone. Is anyone at all really optimistic? I doubt it. I think Ashley has rubbed our noses in it for so long now we are just conditioned to expect the worst – and of course we generally get it…

• 27 mactoon // Jun 20, 2015 at 8:11 PM

Moncur you are a fcking disgrace

• 28 magicmac // Jun 20, 2015 at 9:38 PM

There was a time Bob Moncur, that you were my hero, and i really respected you, but Bob you have clearly lost the plot, and totally lost your self respect, and also lost the respect of all the great Newcastle fans, you know in your heart Bob that ASHELY, is a lier and a cheat and a con man, for gods sake take your tounge out of ASHELYS ass Bob, the 30 peices of silver have just made you into another little tin pot yes man, another little nodding dog, and for that reason your no longer a hero of the great geordie Bob Moncur.

• 29 Some people ehh // Jun 21, 2015 at 12:50 AM

Ted Bundy was described as a nice and charming man by those who met him
    enogh said