The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Austin May Not Be Going Anywhere This Summer

9:49 am, Monday, June 22nd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 101 Comments

Former QPR manager Harry Redknapp has suggested that Newcastle’s top transfer target this summer – 25 year-old Charlie Austin – may not move anywhere this summer.

charlie austin qpr

Charlie Austin – a free agent next summer

Charlie has one year left on his contract at QPR, and he has said in the past he could stay at QPR,  albeit he would be back playing in the Championship.

But his former manager at QPR, Harry Redknapp, has said he may even stay, and the 68 year-old had this to say to talkSPORT:

“Charlie Austin is a little bit in that mold – a typical Newcastle number nine.” “He has got a good attitude, he works hard and scores his goals.”

“I don’t know what owner Tony Fernandes has got planned, whether he wants to keep him like Danny Ings and let him run out that final year.”

What benefit do QPR get of Charlie running out his final year financially?

There has to be little chance of Charlie staying at QPR, with the London club anxious to get up to £15M for their striker, with there being much smaller revenues in the Championship.

And in any case if he becomes a free agent next year QPR would not qualify for any compensation for Charlie, and therefore they would get nothing for their top player – so there’s a big incentive for QPR to sell Austin this  summer.

That’s wasn’t the case with Danny Ings at Burnley, and even though he became a free agent Burnley still got good compensations for him, because he was less than 24 years old.

And as far as Charlie goes he’s also had a taste of being in the England squad recently, and he will have a much better chance of being selected for England if he’s playing for a club like Newcastle next season.

Danny Ings had a chance to play his last season for Burnley in the Premier League,  so there’s another difference in the Austin and Ings situation – Austin will be incented to move to keep playing in England’s top division.

Austin will leave this summer, and it’s still possible we suppose that Newcastle can get the deal done.

The news today is that Southampton have moved in with a £10M bid for Charlie – and like Swansea the Saints tend to move quickly and decisively in the transfer market.

That’s unlike some other clubs we know.

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

101 responses so far ↓

• 1 WWSBRD // Jun 22, 2015 at 9:52 AM

Not a hope Austin will remain at QPR, hes a PL player now who is trying to break into the England team

If QPR dont drop the price he will be forced to hand in a transfer request

• 2 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 22, 2015 at 9:55 AM

The only way they could keep hold of Austin is if they had a big bid coming for somebody else. Phillips and maybe Caulker (not in my opinion, but in others) are players they could get decent fees for. I can’t think of any others.

A lot could hinge on the punishment they receive for breaching ftp rules, and refusing to pay the fine. If they get away with it, then they may be able to hang onto Austin, although they would need an immediate Prem return or it won’t have been worth it. If they get a points deduction, or a fine that counts towards their FFP finances then they will have no choice but to sell I’d have thought.

• 3 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 22, 2015 at 9:58 AM

They could play hardball with Austin, he may not be happy or like it, but he doesn’t strike me as a player that will throw a strop and refuse to perform because of it. Maybe strike a deal with him in that if they don’t look like automatic promotion shots by January he can leave then giving him 6 months to secure a Euro’s squad spot.

• 4 Jail for Ashley // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:03 AM

I was going to leave a very similar post as Lilongwe regarding Clarke. I think people had high hopes for him after what he achieved at Huddersfield. I think his eagerness to get back in the hot seat led him to make some bad career moves. I can’t claim to know what he thinks is best for him but a number two role might be better suited to him after his last two experiences.

• 5 Slank // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:04 AM

Sounds like a ploy by Redknapp to say to all and sundry that it will take a large amount of money to prize Austin away from QPR where he is happy and only too pleased to play in a lower league (like hell he is I would suggest).

• 6 Pootle2118 // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:04 AM

Leroy Fer could fetch a few quid as well, but you’re right, I can’t think of any more either

• 7 jayphoto // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:05 AM

No chance of Austin staying in the championship! Problem is a player is only worth what someone is willing to pay for him. Unfortunately for QPR this means Austin is worth about £10m… I think this is for a few reasons
    1) His contract only has a year to run
    2) Pretty sure theres big concerns on his medical similar to Demba Ba and his knee
    3) As a player, he is in that category of being a very good striker that’s not got enough in his game to be a starter at a top 4/5 team. At a Newcastle, Swansea, Stoke etc he starts every week and is a fan favourite but at a Man Utd, Chelsea he gets the odd sub appearance and plays in the league cup…. Potential wise I don’t think he has it to break into that level of elite striker. Saw him a lot last season, he scored goals yes, but most of them were stolen. Never seen Austin dominate or terrify a centrehalf in the way drogba used to or Aguero does or dare I say how Carroll used to. Reminds me very much of Cisse in this respect

• 8 cyprus // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:08 AM

Austin: must admit I haven’t seen enough of this player, his numbers attitude look good. No idea of his worth, but we need two CF’s with 30+ between them. Otherwise we will languish in lower places, no matter who is the HC.

Krul to Palace: tough one this, as he has been brilliant for us and saved us many points. A spurs game comes to mind. Erroneously perhaps as I don’t know the position, I think he’s replaceable, if we get good money…

Townsend: top player, Cyprus connections, has speed, can score, proven himself with England: sign, now!

• 9 Pootle2118 // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:08 AM

Lil @2

I’d completely forgot about the FFP investigation into QPR. When is the decision/verdict due to be released?

• 10 WWSBRD // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:09 AM

Dont see him agreeing to that mate, he needs to be playing in the PL all season in order to get international time. His advisers will be pushing him to move to the PL. I dont think there is a chance in hell QPR keep hold of him

This seems like another way push clubs into bidding…just like us being linked with 100s of strikers helps us push the price down

• 11 jayphoto // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:10 AM

@Jail – actually know Clarkie a bit, hes a big mate of one of my dads cousins (vague I know) but as such is always at family weddings and often at BBQ’s etc. He’s a top guy but I can’t imagine his personality being right to be even a coach let alone a manager. Enjoys the sauce a bit too much too and I never got the impression he handles pressure all that well. Speaking as someone that’s met him many times and likes him, I wouldn’t want him having much to do with our team it’s over his head. Top guy, possibly similar to Carver coz I hear hes a good man too but being a Geordie doesn’t qualify you to have a major position in one of the worlds top 20 grossing football clubs for me!

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:12 AM

So Austin is to be consigned to the list of bullets we’ve dodged.

• 13 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:15 AM

Yeah, had forgotten about Fer. Not sure on when it will be announced. All FFP seems to have gone very quiet since Platini started discussing relaxing the rules.

Yeah, it is likely a way of upping the price, but it isn’t beyond Fernandes to play the brinkmanship game and attempt to keep him if they don’t feel it works for them. I can’t see Austin being happy if they forced him to stay, but I also can’t see him going on strike or causing issues within the club either.

If we get Townsend we will have a new player to disagree on over his ability!

• 14 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:15 AM

Maybe, but then again, a few of these “bullets” seem better than what we have.

• 15 cyprus // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:15 AM

your analysis of Austin doesn’t inspire me. I’d pass if it’s so. Need a CF whom those clubs will envy. If we’re going for CL level, that’s the type of player we need.

• 16 jayphoto // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:16 AM

@Cyprus – Id let Krul go for £10m! Wouldn’t be surprised if the Goalkeeping merry go round sees him move (de gea to Madrid etc)
    Personally can see Krul either going to Man Utd and being 2nd choice initially to Valdes or going to Spurs to replace Lloris (rumoured to be going PSG or Man Utd)
    Odd Pardew is looking to replace Speroni though? Looked a good keeper the last 2 years. Hennessey the reserve is pretty solid too.
    Good keepers aren’t that hard to find to be honest. Pantelimon showed that he’s a very good keeper at Sunderland and cost 2m. Tom Heaton probably cost next to nothing at Burnley etc
    Not sure if Darlow is ready but he has had 100+ appearances for Forest so if hes not ready yet not sure why they bought him?

• 17 Jib // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:17 AM

If you say he’s Carverish surely that would mean he’d be OK as a coach.
    Carver hasn’t stopped being a good coach just cos he can’t handle being the head honcho.
    Southampton have offered QPR £10 million for CA take it or leave it.
    I’m thinking it will be accepted.

• 18 jayphoto // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:18 AM

@Lilongwe/Cyprus – Can we discuss Townesends ability now? I’ve not seen much of him but I’ve never seen him play particularly well? But its hard to break into the England set up without playing well usually, he any good?

• 19 cyprus // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:18 AM

maybe, or not 😉

If he gets 8+ goals and has twice or more assists and terrorises defences, we’ll agree that he’s good! If the opposite happens, we’ll agree once more.

• 20 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:19 AM

This is all academic anyway. Even though its early days (and people say that every year like they expect something to happen), we will most likely (judging by 8 years of evidence) not sign the players we need by the end of the window.

• 21 Jail for Ashley // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:19 AM

I agree, like Lilongwe said, what might be good for Lee Clarke might not be good for the club.

• 22 WWSBRD // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:21 AM

I dont know mate he needs to capitalize on how well he did last season while his name is still in peoples minds. His agent is going to do everything they can to get him a move

• 23 WWSBRD // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:23 AM

We have offered the same according to some rags

• 24 jayphoto // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:23 AM

@Jib – I meant Carverish in terms of a good guy to have a drink and a laugh with but not cut out to handle the pressure at Newcastle.
    No idea of Carver or Clarks coaching skills, never seen either coach though Carver’s job history doesn’t suggest he’s as good as he thinks. Plymouth, Sheffield United, Luton etc doesn’t suggest hes even that good a coach

• 25 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:24 AM

Ffs lost what i was typing because of these ^÷$€×??#*× app things

• 26 Pootle2118 // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:25 AM

Regarding Austin

All the headlines and titbits I’ve heard and read involving different clubs, nobody seems willing to go above £10M for Austin. Maybe QPR will keep knocking those bids back until deep into the window and wait for one of the teams to become desperate(probably us) and pay closer to the £15M they want

• 27 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:26 AM

There was an outspoken (and slightly obnoxious) itk on here over the weekend claiming that Austin wanted to stay in london.

• 28 lesh // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:27 AM

I wonder whether friend Bishop or his new mouthpiece Moncur, might be kind enough to let us know what Charnley’s been doing to get McClaren his backroom staff.

And, if they can spare another few seconds, tell us what he’s been doing to bring in the players we so desperately need?

Or might that just prove too difficult and more to the point, raise more questions about the ownership of Newcastle United?

• 29 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:28 AM

Mark…you might be on to something there…but then again that was sadly what I was expecting seeing as nothing has really changed!

…wondering if they really have to burn theirs hands for change to happen? Maybe they will just never learn! It would explain the last 8 years.

• 30 cyprus // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:29 AM

Townsend: disclaimer- biased.

Now, whenever I’ve seen him come on, he has provided energy, pace, dribbling, audacity,urgency, struck fear in opponents (he’s actually coming straight at me!), and he can shoot (many of our players can’t actually do that) with both feet hard and in the right direction! Buy, now, will make a differnce.

Got England into some kind of qualifier, singlehandedly.

Don’t know his age and why he finds himself on the fringes.

• 31 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:29 AM

If he gets 5 goals and manages 5 assists I’d be surprised! He is another product of the media overhyping young english players when they break through and do one or two good things. His finishing is poor, the dubious honour of taking more shots than any other player to open a goalscoring account for a season.

He is a poor crosser of the ball, and rarely likes to cross it, preferring to cut in and blast a shot high and/or wide. Occasionally they go in which looks spectacular and that is where some of the hype has come from. It is the fact he played out wide in Soldado’s first season that caused Soldado to flop so badly. Soldado, like Cisse or Dost needs box service which Townsend doesn’t supply often or well.

I would prefer Phillips from QPR who can shoot cross, is quick and strong all without the hype.

• 32 Jib // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:30 AM

Julian Speroni is 36

He had a testimonial 2 weeks ago against Dundee

Pardew played in it

He is obviously going to concentrate on his restaurant in Purley

• 33 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:31 AM

Pootle…I have tried to explain on many occasions why CA is not worth £15M and why I think it will only be one of the top 4 clubs bidding that high…or a club out of desperation.

• 34 nut meg // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:31 AM

Townsend & his very poor record.

• 35 jayphoto // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:34 AM

Reckon Austin will go after 25th August.
    If Newcastle, West Ham both sign a different striker ie: Dost (no idea who West ham are targeting) or Southampton pick up another Graziano Pelle style player QPR will start to panic. They won’t want to lose him for nothing.
    My bet is he’ll leave for 8-11m to someone like Crystal Palace. Feel like if Newcastle were going to sign him it’d be a done deal by now. Seems NUFC are a great club for agents to mention when touting their clients about

• 36 Jib // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:34 AM

That poster seemed to forget that Austin spent 2 happy and productive seasons at Burnley and was quite happy to go Hull until QPR gazumped them.

• 37 mickalfas // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:44 AM

Why do players that we apparently follow for a while all of a sudden develope a bad attitude ?
    Mitrovic and Ayew for example,

• 38 jayphoto // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:45 AM

@Lilongwe/Cyprus – wow such different views of the same player.
    I’ve not seen him often but like I said I’ve never seen him play particularly well.
    I really like Phillips as a player! Think the fact he declared for Scotland (and is ineligible for englandl) might be the reason for no hype around him?
    Did Quincy Promes play under McClaren at Twente? he looks one hell of a winger

• 39 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:48 AM

They haven’t. Ayew has often been described as having a bad attitude. Stroppy, arrogant and selfish.

Mitrovic is hot headed, and has a bit of a temper on him. Mitrovic is young though, and those same attributes that are described as bad attitude could be used to a teams advantage if a coach has the management skills to exploit it.

Zlatan had an appalling attitude according to himself, and former coaches at times through his career, but in the right environment those same attributes were key parts of him becoming the player he is.

• 40 jayphoto // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:50 AM

I’m still really hoping we bite the bullet and just pay up for Mitrovic!
    I hate all this ‘bad attitude’ talk the club seems to do! I’m guessing nearly all of my favourite players of the last 15 years would be labelled bad attitude by this board.
    Just think, if we signed only boy scouts we would never have seen Asprilla, Ginola , big dunc (loved him when on the pitch) HBA (ended sour but he gave us some moments) ever play for Newcastle. Im guessing they’d label Jonas bad attitude too!
    Seems their happy when a player uses that bad attitude to force a move to Newcastle on the cheap tho….
    Some of the best attitude players ive seen at NUFC have been some of the worst…. Williamson? Shola?

• 41 WWSBRD // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:50 AM

We go for players with bad attitudes mate, cheaper that way

• 42 Toon Tang // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:51 AM

Talking of wingers, did anyone see that french lady left winger last night literally taking the piss at every opportunity. McClaren should check her out, post op of course. pow

• 43 mickalfas // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Have only seen Mitrovic on YouTube ,looks half decent to me and like you say with his age ,20 I think,doesn’t seem like a big gamble
    Bas Dost for me is only a tap in man after great build up play in a good team,again only what I’ve seen on YouTube
    Others will have a far greater knowledge than my humble self lol

• 44 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:56 AM

I think Promes may have been just breaking through in McClaren’s second spell. Not sure if McClaren used him or not though.

Yeah, Phillips doesn’t have the hype as he isn’t Englands ‘next big thing’. Townsend is best used as an impact sub as he is pacy and direct. Will run at tired legs, but there is still the issue of his end product. IN the Prem for Spurs he averages around 1 cross every 2 games – that is over his 2 seasons in the first team. For an attacking winger that is shocking.

3 goals in the Prem with 72 shots, of which 62 of those were taken from outside the box. That is just plain wasteful in my opinion, and doesn’t bode well if you are a centre forward who relays on service into the right areas.

• 45 cyprus // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:57 AM

Agree with @40!

People like Ginola, Keane, Rooney, Bellamy looked like arrogant S.o.b.’s whom maybe you wouldn’t want to befriend, but who thrive and intimidate on the pitch.

A team of boyscouts may not stir trouble within but also with opponents!

Did a ‘Wise’ on Townsend. Watched a couple of best of videos… buy!

• 46 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:58 AM

• 47 mickalfas // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:59 AM

As long as we get no more sicknotes,ad they are also the cheaper option !!

• 48 geordie157 // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:00 AM

Bound to be linked again soon but would anyone take tasci as a centre back option

• 49 cyprus // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:01 AM

Our most ‘wasteful’ player (most shots in the league) was also one of our most exciting and, dare I say, productive.

• 50 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:02 AM

Townsend figures are for Spurs over the last 2 years when he has been a first team player.

• 51 nut meg // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:05 AM

This might make you think again.

• 52 jayphoto // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:06 AM

@43 – I’d be wary of Dost because he’s playing behind what I’d class the 3rd best player in the world right now (after the 2 usuals) in Kevin De Bruyne. The guy is an assist and chance creating machine.
    Also Dosts goals game after they signed Schurle, another player who really stretches defences. Schurles pace meant that teams sat deeper against Wolfsburg Putting Dost much closer to the goal in general build up. Add that combination to that fact that De Bruyne could probably thread a needle with his feet meant a very successful 6 months for Dost.
    At Newcastle currently we do not have the pace on the wings meaning we require a quicker striker. That’s not Dost. (Aarons isn’t as quick as people think by the way)
    In Siem De Jong we do have player that could link with Dost similar to De Bruyne but De Jongs fitness is questionable the last 2 years. If Sissoko plays #10 Dost will be pointless

• 53 nut meg // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:07 AM

Quincy Promes is now at Spartak Moscow….15m euro

• 54 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:08 AM

Chronicle reporting Southampton have put in a bid for Austin!

• 55 jayphoto // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:11 AM

@ Nut Meg – yeah I know. Heard he was pretty much the best player in the Russian league and absolutely tearing it up!

• 56 WWSBRD // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:30 AM

3rd best player in the world?

• 57 jayphoto // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:34 AM

@WWSBRD – I think so. He was the best player I watched last season out side of La Liga. Really interested to see what he does in the champions league next year.

• 58 jayphoto // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:37 AM

Maybe 3rd best player is wrong terminology.
    He had the 3rd best individual season would be better. Ability wise he’s in that top bracket though but I think Suarez, Bale etc would have had better seasons if they had teams built around them like messi and Ronaldo.
    Still the best player I watched outside of spain last year though

• 59 WWSBRD // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:39 AM

Not sure he’d be up there for me mate, not sure hes even the best in his league if am honest

• 60 WWSBRD // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:40 AM

Ah right fair enough mate, Id still say Neuer is the best player in that league though

• 61 jayphoto // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:44 AM

@WWSBRD I wasn’t a fan of him before this season. Just seems to have come into his own. Only watched about 9/10 games with him but he was outstanding in all! Had that thing that Riquelme used to have about him where he seemed to control the speed of time lol
    Wolfsburg is completely built around him and reliant on him. Not sure Bayern have a player like that. For me Wolfsburg is a team of 7/10 players with one 10/10 in De Bruyne whereas Bayern is a team of all 8.5/10 players but a 10/10 manager

• 62 lochinvar // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:44 AM

Ashley’s a gambler.
    Any poker player will tell you that you try to flush out what your opponents are doing, watch for them to twitch a little ( i.e.. make a first bid for a player ) so you have control of the game.
    He’s watching like a viper.
    Whether or not he chooses to strike and buy is another matter.

• 63 jayphoto // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:45 AM

@WWSBRD actually yeah I agree. Neuer is the best in the world in his position. Wasn’t thinking about keepers, only out field players but you’re right Neuer is outstanding!

• 64 jayphoto // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:47 AM

Lochinvar – Ashleys more like the guy who plays the 2p machine at an arcade and leaves when hes 10p up than a high stakes poker player….

• 65 cyprus // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:52 AM

On goalies,
    OK Krul can go but weak defensive teams need seriously good keepers, so if we’re going to the next level we’ll need someone like him.. Remember that kid behind Elliott who played a bunch of games. It was pathetic and I felt for him, but it showed the importance of the position.
    My concern wth Krul is, he lost his confidence and that cost us a few times(5, to be precise).

Overall, the Sunderland keeper was more impressive this year.

• 66 cyprus // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:56 AM

Also, we need pace, hence my nod to Townsend and maybe this Krejci we are looking at.

Our build up has often been slow and predictable. ‘Weaker’ teams need a directness and sting, in order to beat bigger teams. e.g. see vs. man u, 3-0 (?)

• 67 jayphoto // Jun 22, 2015 at 12:02 PM

@Cyprus – The lad at PSV, Zoet would be a great replacement! It all depends on Darlows level really! If he has a chance of being a top keeper but just not ready an older experienced keeper might be required?
    Enyeama at Lille is a fine keeper at 33! Vorm is also more than good enough to be a first choice. Was ahead of Krul for Holland until he made the mistake of joining spurs, think he expected lloris to be sold

• 68 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 22, 2015 at 12:03 PM

Yesterday the bookies had stopped taking bets on him going to West Ham. Then Austin might be going nowhere. Now Southampton have tabled a bid. Write your own headlines. Better still go away and come back at the end of July.

• 69 Jib // Jun 22, 2015 at 12:11 PM

Guess which poster

• 70 ronjohno // Jun 22, 2015 at 12:11 PM

Absolutely nothing changes with the running of NUFC.
    Just one look at Charnley is enough to frighten the kids – apart from looking totally useless and proving it.
    What attraction do we hold for good players who have alternative options and better wage prospects.
    These days NUFC only holds prestige to we supporters and nobody else.
    Unless in the unlikely event big things are happening behind the scenes can anyone honestly see anything changing or give us cause for optimism.
    I have to state that I hope I am wrong and regardless of last season I do think we actually have some good players and perhaps McClaren can bring the best out of them.

• 71 Jib // Jun 22, 2015 at 12:13 PM

Your’e wrong

• 72 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 22, 2015 at 12:14 PM

Is it Ed? Could be any one of a number of flappy birds on here to be fair.

• 73 Toonfan8 // Jun 22, 2015 at 12:16 PM

José Sa from Portugal U21 team looks very good…we should look at him, 192cm height, good with his foot, he reminds me David de Gea…

• 74 Jib // Jun 22, 2015 at 12:17 PM

It has a Tufft

• 75 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 22, 2015 at 12:18 PM

You are probably not wrong. 16 previous transfer windows show that the most likely outcome is ending up woefully short of whatcwe actually need.

• 76 nufcursed // Jun 22, 2015 at 12:18 PM

just to back you up:) i’m from belgium and i totally agree with you on de bruyne! to me he’s also one of the 5 best players in the world. he has not the same technical skills as hazard or messi but vision wise he’s as good as an iniesta (also one of the most ‘underrated’ players).
    de bruyne is a lot more influential to a game than hazard. although hazard has more visional skills. i’d take de bruyne over hazard any day! if you watch their performances for our national team, de bruyne outshines hazard. and yet most people think hazard is the better player…

• 77 nufc95 // Jun 22, 2015 at 12:24 PM

I don’t understand why we haven’t tried to sign steven caulker from QPR he’s young and is a great cb and will want to play in the premier league

• 78 beermonkey // Jun 22, 2015 at 12:26 PM

nufc 95

caulker no thanks

Cardiff 38 games played relegated
    qpr 35 games played relegated

I hope we can do better than him

• 79 Jail for Ashley // Jun 22, 2015 at 12:28 PM

The outlaws of trying to rustle up a showdown here. Wild Bill Blacklock and Calamity Jane !

• 80 nufc95 // Jun 22, 2015 at 12:29 PM

It’s not 1 player that makes a team go down its the full team to blame, but him in a better team he will prove you wrong Mr bear monkey he better than staylor colo and Williamson but together

• 81 nufc95 // Jun 22, 2015 at 12:30 PM

• 82 Jib // Jun 22, 2015 at 12:33 PM

Two people have told me this
    They are both ITK smartarses who are normally FoS , but the thing is they don’t know each other and yet come up almost verbatim with the same story.
    I’m repeating it to see if anyone else has heard it.

It goes thus;
    Siem de Jong is 100% and has been for quite some time before seasons end .However Carver was instructed under no circumstances play him and it caused some heated discussions in April and May.

• 83 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 22, 2015 at 12:38 PM

I’m in full agreement with Beer on this one.

Caulker is a poor defender. That is why Spuds let him go, and that is why only poor teams have gone in for him in the past. I wouldn’t want him here at all. Saylor is a much better centre half then Caulker, but has fitness issues. Willo isn’t good enough for us moving forward, and Caulker is not much better. We should be looking for better than Caulker if the club is to move forwards.

Did they give any reason as to why this was the case?

• 84 jayphoto // Jun 22, 2015 at 12:39 PM

@Jib – any reason for not playing him mentioned?

• 85 nufc95 // Jun 22, 2015 at 12:39 PM

Beermonkey you a probably right we can do better than him but with MA And his disciples look over us we will be lucky to sign catering staff for the stadium never mind players

• 86 beermonkey // Jun 22, 2015 at 12:42 PM

I will agree it is a team game he looked better while at spurs but since he has left has done nothing
    have you any stats to back up he is better than the lot we have who I will agree are woeful,

now bear in mind we have spent the last season and a half playing relegation football chances are if we buy a defender it will be one would you buy a defender that’s been relegated twice to go with our own tosh or some1 better

• 87 GEORDIE69 // Jun 22, 2015 at 12:44 PM

I will copy and paste this on Ed’s posts until it is complete, then will we see if we have any ambition to compete for top 8 in the Premier League and a Trophy. I have left out the players that are not good enough to achieve this currently. I will also remove any that we sell. Time is ticking Mike Ashley as there are only 71 days to go until the transfer deadline.
    GK Krul
    GK Darlow
    GK Elliot (3rd choice only)
    RB Janmaat
    LB Haidara
    CD Lascelles
    CD Colocinni ( Just for Tsunki )
    CM Sissoko
    CM Tiote
    CM Colback
    AM De Jong
    AM Aarons
    AM Cabella
    CF Cisse
    CF Perez

• 88 Jib // Jun 22, 2015 at 12:45 PM

Didn’t want him knacked in a relegation scrap.
    Charnley remained convinced we were safe throughout and didn’t want de Jong risked just to save Carvers job.

• 89 jayphoto // Jun 22, 2015 at 12:47 PM

wouldn’t go near Caulker! I’d be very wary of most Hull City players asides from maybe Brady who stood out and Hernandez who has the attributes but hasn’t yet adapted.
    That Hull City side has to go down with our 09 team and the west ham side that got relegated on 42 points as one of the strongest pools of talent to be relegated! Steve Bruce isn’t a bad manager either! Those players bottled it in the game against Burnley! Think the attitude they showed in the last 3-4 months of the season was shocking and I wouldn’t want any of them

• 90 jayphoto // Jun 22, 2015 at 12:51 PM

@Jib – interesting if true! I agree with that decision though! Fact is de jong said himself his muscles weren’t developed yet enough to play after almost 2 years really of no fooball! Club rushed back Aarons and we never saw him again, Pardew (and carver as his assistant) had previous form in rushing players back too soon!
    In De Jong we have a player who really should have 1) cost £15m and 2) moved somewhere higher up the league. We got him because of the injury he had, lets be honest. If he stays fit and plays to his ability (basing this on his champs league games more than eredivisie) then he’s probably our best player and one of our only leaders. In Charnleys eyes, he’s our next big pay day

• 91 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 22, 2015 at 12:51 PM

You seem to have missed out a lot of players who are at the club and first team squad members. No way can you fill all those gaps with new players in one summer, regardless of how much ambition the club shows.

Fair enough, I remained convinced that we wouldn’t go down, even on the last day I was comfortable that we would stay up, so I can understand Charnley’s stance there. But if he wasn’t allowed to play, then I find it odd we were able to use him as a sub. Sounds a bit off to me. Maybe the ITK’s know people who post on blogs and have got this info from a blog then tried to pass it off as their own.

• 92 lesh // Jun 22, 2015 at 12:52 PM

According to the Chron…..

‘….Newcastle United remain in talks with fitness guru Steve Black as Steve McClaren looks to complete his backroom team at St James’ Park.”

How much discussion does Charnley need to offer the guy a job? Does everything have to be a negotiation, a game of brinkmanship with this clown of an MD.

Recruiting staff shouldn’t be ad complicated as Charnley seems to make it – make the guy you want a sensible, realistic offer that you know he’ll accept and it should be job done.

Or does Charnley try to make offers and negotiate as though he’s buying a cheap watch in a Moroccan bazaar?

Will somebody inject some urgency into Charnley – kick him up the arse or kick him out!

• 93 geordie157 // Jun 22, 2015 at 12:53 PM

Caulker is ok but nothing more, he’s another one who has too many lapses of concentration.

Lascelles is actually similar to Caulker but i’m hoping he’ll become a much player than him.

Worst case, based on these 3 staying Colo, Taylor and Lascelles we need one top quality centre back. One great defender can make a massive difference to the others alongside him.

I actually would go with getting in 1 cb for now and sorting our left back issue out.

Based on getting rid of Elliot, Obertan and Wilo. Bring back Harps as gk/coach. add a cb, lb, right winger and striker. That will do for the summer.

• 94 The overrated Frenchman // Jun 22, 2015 at 12:53 PM

Well, I’m not sure if this correlates or not, but I read on someone’s blog De Jong’s lung problem is more serious than has been revealed. ie it’s essentially chronic and will hamper his ability to play on a continual basis. I asked my mate who is a doctor about the condition in general and he said that is quite possible. Who knows.

• 95 nufc95 // Jun 22, 2015 at 12:53 PM

Yous are actually crazy to think we can get anyone in that is much better than caulker we are and average team now that’s why we sign average players we will not get a top class player through these doors anymore the club has got no ambition just coz cartman went on TV and said he wants to win something doesn’t mean we are ambitious all he ment wad we might finish 14th instead of 15th next year

• 96 Jib // Jun 22, 2015 at 12:55 PM

What makes your post pointless and meaningless is the sentence

“I have left out the players that are not good enough to achieve this currently”

a. That is purely a matter of opinion.
    SBR said “50,000 fans 50,000 opinions”

b. There is a strong possibility (fingers crossed ) that Supermac may dramatically improve at least some players not currently good enough.

• 97 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 22, 2015 at 1:02 PM

Old Blackley would be much more heartened to hear news and views about some of our own young prospects, who are chomping at the bit and dying for the season to start because they feel they might make a breakthrough. Young Aarons is in pole position, but I have serious doubts. I get the feeling he doesn’t want it enough but I would love to see him come back much improved, having already had a taster.

I’d love to hear the club enthusing about their plans for new academy and training facilities, and about our young prospects who are ready to make the step up. Apart from the odd line from Pedro, the club never enthuses. They’re missing a trick when trying to sell season tickets. I suspect they’ve got nothing to crow about. Perhaps, they have and the powers that be aren’t even aware of it?

• 98 The overrated Frenchman // Jun 22, 2015 at 1:22 PM

Just back on De Jong, my mate (the doctor) reckons he wouldn’t pass a medical after two episodes of non-trauma induced collapsed lung, because he would be classified as “high risk” of it happening again. So we would obviously have trouble selling him I’d say, and maybe can’t insure him? Hence the cotton wool approach?

• 99 JP...from The Rock // Jun 22, 2015 at 2:22 PM

Its a come and get me from dirty ‘arry.

• 100 GEORDIE69 // Jun 22, 2015 at 2:22 PM

Lilongwe Geordie if we want to win a cup and finish top 8 then these gaps will need filled. Championship class players do not finish top 8 in the Premier League.

Jib – Which players that I have missed out do you think could get us top 8?

• 101 usmagpie // Jun 22, 2015 at 2:59 PM

Here’s the thing Harry, maybe trying to get an assistant managers job at Newcastle, trying to let Steve M know that he know Austin really well. Here’s the thing about all this BullSh it. I could fly from the states be in London and have him signed for 15 million and be done with it in less than 18 hours. So why the flying fcuk are we sitting on our asses doing absolutely fcuk all. Get you fingers out Footballing knowledge board of four and go get this player already.

previous post: Newcastle Haven’t Bid For Any Strikers Yet