The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle In Talks To Sign Two Players This Week

10:51 pm, Monday, June 22nd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 137 Comments

Newcastle are trying hard to bring in their first signing this week, and we are (as usual) linked with a lot of players, but Goal are reporting today that two players they are wanting to sign this week are 23 year-old Schalke center-back Joel Maltip and 22 year-old Marseilles midfielder Florian Thauvin.

Talks are said to be ongoing for both players, and since Newcastle have been linked with these players a few times over this last week –  maybe the reports are even true?

joel matip

Joel Maltip – Schalke center-back

If Newcastle  can sign Maltip for around £10M or less, that would be an excellent deal for the 6’4″ center-back,  who’s played for Cameroon 26 times, and it would add some steel to the Magpies defense.

Matip made his first team debut for Schalke way back in November of 2009 as an 18 year-old against Bayern Munich, and since then he’s appeared 211 times for the German club with 18 goals.

He is also a versatile player and can also play in defensive midfield just as well as he can in central defense.

The price quoted for Maltip was initially quoted at around £10M, but with just one year left on his contract, the negotiated fee could be as low as £6M, according to Goal.

Chief Scout Graham Carr has been (very) keen on Thauvin for a number of years now, and he’s a really good technical player and fans would just love him at Newcastle.

forian thauvin

Florian Thauvin – 22 year-old Marseilles midfielder

He’s the type of signing that would create some excitement on Tyneside.

And since Marseilles are short of money and have to sell some players this month to pay their bills at the end of June, Newcastle could potentially get him for a very good price.

And that’s especially true when Newcastle pay their transfer fees up front in full and in cool cash.

Thauvin moved from Bastia to Lille two years ago last January for a low fee of around £3M, but then without ever kicking a ball for Lille he moved that summer to Marseilles on a five year contract with the fee being a huge £10.5M.

Thauvin played 38 games last season for Marseilles with 5 goals and 8 assists, and in his two years at the French club he’s played 79 games with 15 goals and 14 assists.

Newcastle could maybe get Thauvin in for around £7M this summer, but he was put on very good wages to move to Marseilles, so Newcastle will have to be able to match those high wages.

It would be terrific if we can get these two in this week and under £15M for the two would be very good business for the club.

But Newcastle must have some success soon in the transfer market, and at least one player must come in this week.

Players will report back for pre-season training in stages starting next week.

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

137 responses so far ↓

• 1 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:53 PM

two papers saying same thing, does that mean there is something in it?

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:54 PM

Ashley Out !

• 3 Tsunki // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:55 PM

Ahhhhhhh just like a pair of comfy old slippers seeing Eds usual typos 🙂 I feel right at home when he spells it ‘Newcatsle’ 😀

• 4 Tsunki // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:56 PM

TFL certainly. As long as they are official media partners. Otherwise expect only LIES!

• 5 Tsunki // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:57 PM

Well Jib looks like he’s either been culled or succumbed to the rigours of bedtime. A deeply unpleasant character.

• 6 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 22, 2015 at 10:57 PM

Tsunki
    Everything is lies lol

Mr Magpie
    Mr Magpie he’s 28

• 7 OneAlanShearer // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:00 PM

Which 2 papers are saying this?

• 8 Jib // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:00 PM

Wrong suckers

• 9 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:01 PM

Mail and star

• 10 Mr Magpie // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:02 PM

Think Matip is a quality signing, big, strong & quick cb. Been playing in a good league & not looked out of his depth which is good.

Thauvin is a quality player but he is more hit & miss, all dependant on what frame of mind he appears to be in. If Mcclaren could get the best out of both him & Cabella then we would have some real attacking threat as they both have skill, pace & can easily go past defenders.

• 11 Riviere Run Dry // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:04 PM

JFA, with your face like a knobbly gherkin.

• 12 Mr Magpie // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:04 PM

Cheers tfl …I’m thinking of the right guy then.

• 13 Belfast // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:09 PM

Sign them up!

• 14 Tsunki // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:09 PM

Well I’m succumbing to the rigours of bedtime later all.

• 15 Tsunki // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:10 PM

Aye jail it’s RRD. Goodnight

• 16 Our Toon // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:11 PM

Something needs to be done about the price of British lads, Dyke and the muppets at the FA want to improve the English national team by asking for quotas….All this does is increase the price of all British players.

Bamford 8m is laughable, Carroll cost more than Suarez, Sterling is valued at more money than Neymar and Sanchez. Downing cost 20m. All the FA are doing is ensuring the best young talent gets bought by the big boys and then they rot away because these teams have to fill quotas

• 17 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:14 PM

Absolutely excruciating watching the England women.

• 18 Our Toon // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:14 PM

I’d be very happy if these 2 signed, I keep reading about Cabella in other fans posts, Cabella is shite, he’s a 1 trick pony whose had plenty of opportunities to impress. Other than hull away and 45mins again chelsea the bloke was utter shite!! Even obertan contributed more in less games

• 19 Our Toon // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:15 PM

Blackley

I was thinking the same thing watching them.

• 20 optimistic prime // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:17 PM

Haha 1-1

• 21 Riviere Run Dry // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:25 PM

JFA, with your face like England women’s football.

• 22 Mr Magpie // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:29 PM

Our Toon
    Cabella has been played out of position & asked to defend like so many of our players have been by Pardew & Carver. He has looked lost & has lost some confidence but he is still a fantastic player.

When he was at Montpellier he played behind the striker or as part of a front 3 & he was quality causing defences all kinds of problems getting goals & assists. Coached correctly i still feel he can come good for us.

• 23 N1CK06 // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:32 PM

Oh please, talks are going on for 200 players, not 2. But still no action.

Don’t know how Ed or anyone else can stay so optimistic when ever bit of transfer news eventuates to nothing. Stop believing in fairytales people. This blog is not news, it is just desperation.

• 24 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:32 PM

What a goal by Bronze

• 25 optimistic prime // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:32 PM

What a goal

• 26 Brian Pinas // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:32 PM

West Ham pushed out and we’re odds on favourites to sign Austin again. Come on Charlie, sign up!

• 27 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:33 PM

What is the problem with the so called WUMs? The WUM botherers are no better. Neither bother me.

If you don’t like their craic, just ignore it. That’s what people do with me. And I don’t mind the vile language directed at me. Everyone’s happy.

As long as it’s not illegal, let free speech reign. You can’t compare a blog to a bar or the street. The blogosphere is not reality. There’s no chance of physical confrontation breaking out.

• 28 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:35 PM

OurToon
    The girls have picked up since I opened my gob.

• 29 Belfast // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:39 PM

Where is Alukos sister she’s the only female footballer I know? Lol

• 30 Jib // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:48 PM

This is the real Jib
    I know people have issues with my views.
    I tend to be pro the regime since the appointment of Supermac.
    But they are small beer compared with my doppelganger who’s views are disgusting and prejudiced
    Unless Ed sorts this hacking shit out you are all in for a horrible Summer window.
    Me today , the rest of you tomorrow.
    You have already seen the vile stuff this guy comes out with
    Resolve it now or this site could and probably will die.
    Ed get your act together fella

• 31 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:54 PM

JIB
    Hahaha. “This is the real JIB.” Reminds me of Mike Yarwood.

• 32 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:59 PM

McClaren should show Steph Houghton’s headed goal to Coloccini as a lesson in how to attack a corner ball and score.

• 33 Tsunki // Jun 22, 2015 at 11:59 PM

Ahm slim shady yes Ahm the real shady
    All you other slim shadys are just imitatin’
    So won’t the real shady please stand up
    please stand up
    please stand up

• 34 Belfast // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:00 AM

Change your name to something else. Real Jib needs to start thinking outside of the box here. 🙂

Outsmart your stalker.

• 35 Tsunki // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:00 AM

Blackley you mean Willo don’t you?

• 36 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:01 AM

Pmsl Tsunki

• 37 Belfast // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:01 AM

Chicka chicka Slim Shady…

• 38 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:01 AM

If you’re in any doubt about keeping or getting rid of Coloccini take a look at Steph Houghton’s goal. The bloke is a girl’s blouse when it comes to bravery.

• 39 Tsunki // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:03 AM

He he he

• 40 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:03 AM

Tsunki
    In my mind Willo’s already gone.

• 41 Tsunki // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:04 AM

Actually it’s like Stan ha ha all these wums probably all look alike

• 42 Tsunki // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:05 AM

Blackley amen to that bro 🙂

• 43 Belfast // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:05 AM

May I have your attention please
    Would the real Jib please stand up
    I repeat would the real jib please stand up.

I actually dyed my hair when he appeared on the scene hahaha

Not Jib by the way Slim Shady.

Dark time so it was.

• 44 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:05 AM

This is me.

• 45 Tsunki // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:06 AM

Jib your posts are getting very samey you’re not having a panic attack are you? Reach for that paper bag…

• 46 Belfast // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:07 AM

It was more ginger than blonde though didn’t quite get that look nailed on

• 47 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:08 AM

Amen, Tsunki.

• 48 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:09 AM

This is me

• 49 Belfast // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:09 AM

This is new jib repeating old jibs post at the moment

• 50 Tsunki // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:09 AM

Belfast – 😀 stop I’m crying here

Anyway I’m me check out my pic you can’t get that from stock photos. I might stick me old SD mug in later. Happy days.

• 51 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:09 AM

JIB
    Is that you? This is me.

• 52 Tsunki // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:10 AM

Could’ve easily gone green belfast count yourself lucky.

• 53 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:11 AM

Tsunki
    Is that you? This is me.

• 54 Tsunki // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:12 AM

Blackley hang on, I’ll ask Pokat… yep I’m me.

• 55 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:12 AM

Belfast
    Is that the real you? This is the real me.

• 56 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:13 AM

Is someone in groundhog day mode?

• 57 Tsunki // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:13 AM

I think jibs collapsed and his nose is resting on the enter key.

• 58 Tsunki // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:13 AM

Is anyone here not them? Speak now!

• 59 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:13 AM

Tsunki
    Was that the real Pokat you asked?

• 60 Belfast // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:14 AM

I did think about the sports direct mug Skunki but decided on Belfast champagne aka Buckfast tonic wine.

• 61 will die for the toon army // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:14 AM

Thauvin Austin Bost Cabaye Matip Wijladrum. This wld b a dream come true wld b a dream come true

• 62 Tsunki // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:14 AM

I’m so tired my eyes hurt gotta go.

• 63 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:15 AM

Hello TFL
    Is that the real you? This is the real me.

• 64 Tsunki // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:15 AM

Wake up and smell the coffee wdftta

• 65 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:16 AM

Hang on I’ll ask Tsunki
    Yes this is deffo the real me

• 66 Belfast // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:16 AM

Yep this is the real me Blackley. No skullduggery with me. Who’s that beside you in your picture though? Is he a multiple?

• 67 Tsunki // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:17 AM

So tempted to log on as Pokat but I would get barred out ha ha

• 68 Tsunki // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:18 AM

Striking déja vu….

• 69 Our Toon // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:18 AM

Blackley

Ahaha they went on to win buddy. Good 2nd goal as well

• 70 Belfast // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:19 AM

I keep thinking jib is a cheap version of Jif for some reason.

• 71 Our Toon // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:22 AM

Mr Magpie

Cabella was awful in the final third of the pitch, he’s decision making was poor, hos final pass was poor, his shooting is awful, he holds onto the ball for to long amd does daft stepovers when no one is around. The only good thing he did was to track back and work hard.

These are all things that have nothing to do with being played out of position, his execution was poor in the final third.

• 72 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:22 AM

Belfast
    Who’s that beside me? Are you trying to scare me before I go to bed? BTW, this is me in case you’re wondering.

• 73 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:25 AM

OurToon
    Apart from one dodgy back pass, Bronze had a good game. Man of the Match for me.

• 74 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:26 AM

OurToon
    I agree with you on Cabella.

• 75 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:30 AM

Are you going to bed now Blackley?

Only kidding this is really me – Blackley. And yes I am going to bed.

• 76 JP...from The Rock // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:32 AM

Don’t see any of this happening tbh.

• 77 Honoured2BNUFC // Jun 23, 2015 at 12:36 AM

Will believe it when they’re pictured holding the shirt.

• 78 willowdalerez // Jun 23, 2015 at 1:27 AM

Austin and Matip would be great signings – quality striker and CB… anything after that would be icing on my NUFC Cake… Unfortunately, from the players we’ve been linked to I’m guessing we will bring in a number of Championship players that played under McClaren at one time or another rather than ambitious signings… Ashley prove me wrong!!!

• 79 willowdalerez // Jun 23, 2015 at 2:59 AM

Tsunki @4

This is a repost I made on an earlier blog with respect to so called official media sponsors. This is not just for your consideration either… I’ve seen a lot of comments on here about how we can only rely on them

… What does Simon Bird of NUFC’s preferred Daily Mirror have to say about his June 11 column

in which he wrote:

“Charlie Austin will become Newcastle’s first summer signing in the next week – and England Under-21 striker Saido Berahino is also on their radar, writes Simon Bird.

The Magpies have a £40million-plus transfer kitty and want to revamp every department of the team but goals and striking talent are the top priority.”

Well next week has come and gone and while we didn’t sign Austin for the £15M QPR want for him now… according to the very same preferred source the Mirror’s (John Cross this time not Bird interesting coincidence there) our transfer kitty has dropped miraculously by that very amount to £25M

McClaren has around £25m to spend this summer and he plans to shake up his squad and is desperate to get moving on new signings.

• 80 Blofal // Jun 23, 2015 at 3:01 AM

Does McClaren even know what style he is going to play?

We aren’t going to spend $10m on players that sit on the bench. Thauvin and Winjaldum would be competing directly with De Jong and Cabella in most setups.

I’d love a bench with strong players on it but I’ve become accustomed to having 17yr old reserve players on our bench so I’m not yet convinced. Though I must admit Winjaldum is a brilliant player and by far is the one I want through the door most of all.

• 81 headtheball // Jun 23, 2015 at 3:06 AM

Under Ashley, NUFC has become one of those entities that know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
    The supporters are not valued.
    Mushrooms.

Ashley Out
    HWTF

• 82 willowdalerez // Jun 23, 2015 at 3:15 AM

Blofal – My guess is McClaren has an idea what style he wants to play but is having to wait to see who he can get in to see if it can even be done… so far he can’t put his staff together let alone sign a player.

I just hope he goes for a 4 4 2 with a strong striker to be our mainstay (still keen on Austin) and Manu to pick up a few this year with the space that open up (he has pace not finish so he needs the space). It would also suit Cabaye’s tendency to dance up and play wing. But to do that we need a CB to anchor the back and somebody we can rely on up front (Cisse needs to stay but he’s too old to play anything but key sub) so where are our “ambitious” striker and CB signings???

Anyway that’s my take on that.

• 83 willowdalerez // Jun 23, 2015 at 3:18 AM

Sorry that was supposed to read Cabella

• 84 willowdalerez // Jun 23, 2015 at 3:19 AM

headtheball – I am giving Ashley the summer to prove his word otherwise I’m permanently in your camp.

• 85 Blofal // Jun 23, 2015 at 3:22 AM

According to LGFUAD21 at Twenty McClaren played a 4-3-3 which morphed into a 4-2-3-1 on attack.

Apparently the wingers almost became forwards in attack and he got a lot of goals out of wingers. This is why its imperative we get Winjaldum. I haven’t seen a player with movement as good as his for a while. Check it out if you haven’t already…

He also encouraged the fullbacks to get up forward and press the opposition leaving 2 grafters covering the defence. That would make sense if we keep Tiote and Colback. Anita if he can consistantly play as he did in that last game would be a good squad player for that position.

And in defence this reverted to more of a 4-4-1-1.

• 86 Our Toon // Jun 23, 2015 at 4:09 AM

Cisse is not to old, he had a better goals to game ratio than the majority of premier league strikers and that includes Austin. Cisse played with 1 knee aswell!!

• 87 willowdalerez // Jun 23, 2015 at 4:21 AM

Winjaldum certainly looks to have pace and is coming off a star year but if McClaren finds De Jong back to fitness or if Sissoko wants to play under him and give NUFC another go then attacking midfielder is not a priority compared to a a reliable striker (or for that matter quality CB). I still think we can sign Austin. Yeah everyone knows he wants to stay down south but will he do that if no team in London will throw down the 15M QPR want for him… I reckon he won’t because last thing he needs is a year in Championship after the year he’s coming off of in the prem. Austin may be a risk to be a 1 season wonder but what other chance do we have to bring in a potential star striker in their prime and if we offer no. 9, pay the 15m I really think he’ll sign!

• 88 willowdalerez // Jun 23, 2015 at 4:33 AM

ourtoon – Cisse has an injury history (knee)… I agree he can be counted on to score as long as he’s fit but do we really want him as our go to striker? Perez is promising (Sammy’s alright) but who will stand in if he goes out part way through the season or just before key matches? We need another quality striker and I’d prefer someone young and with prem experience.

• 89 terencelim // Jun 23, 2015 at 5:46 AM

The cancer of the club, Ashley out.

• 90 Santon03 // Jun 23, 2015 at 6:01 AM

Blofal

thanks for video link, that was awesome. I didn’t know much about Wijnaldum before, he will be upgrade from Sissoko. I hope we sell him asap and get Wij soon. We already have 4 Dutch players in the team, if we also signed Dost then it will be great.

• 91 Ron Knee // Jun 23, 2015 at 6:16 AM

Another name to add to the list:

• 92 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jun 23, 2015 at 6:34 AM

Is there some sort of meltdown on this blog?

• 93 Ron Knee // Jun 23, 2015 at 6:48 AM

jesper
    There seem to be some doppelgängers about!

• 94 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 23, 2015 at 6:51 AM

Has Ian Cathro been linked with a job on the staff? Saw a couple of comments towards the end of the previous thread, but have seen no links elsewhere.

He would be a great appointment to the staff. Finally, a proper coach, who has put in the effort to learn his trade rather than just falling into it after playing football. This would be a very good appointment in my book, if there is any truth in it. Already has excellent experience, worked in different countries and is a good technical coach.

• 95 Ron Knee // Jun 23, 2015 at 6:57 AM

Lilongwe
    Here’s a link:

• 96 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 23, 2015 at 7:04 AM

Ron Knee,
    Thanks. That would be a real sign of training ground progress. The one worry would be that he could be in a similar boat to Steve Round in that he stepped down to look for a number 1 role.

He is the sort of coach that clubs at the top level should be looking at more and more.

At the same time, a move here could fit in with the talk from a few folk on blogs claiming to be ITK’s that we want an assistant that can take over the Head Coach role in a few years.

• 97 Ron Knee // Jun 23, 2015 at 7:06 AM

Lilongwe
    A little more here:

• 98 sparky55 // Jun 23, 2015 at 7:21 AM

Winjy won’t come here…Biggus Dickus from the unwashed has already agreed to pay him what he wants…Mashley was no-where near…the SD voucher scheme strangley enough wasn’t quite enough to seal the deal.

• 99 sparky55 // Jun 23, 2015 at 7:24 AM

and let’s face it lads…we’d never think up a good song with that name would we!!!!

• 100 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 23, 2015 at 7:31 AM

Cheers Ron, nothing particularly concrete in either, but hopefully it is true. We could do with getting the back room in yesterday, so hopefully that can be hurried through asap.

Back as favourites for Austin, the bookies, like the media are about as clued up as the average punter. Austin and Bamford would be good in my opinion, but if we lose Cisse (as is being reported as increasingly likely) then I still think we would need 1 more. I’m not of the opinion Riviere will come good as a centre forward, in which case I don’t see the point for him staying. I’d personally still love to see Mitrovic here, comments about his attitude, but his issue is more a temper and aggression, channel these correctly and they become huge assets that defenders will be worried by.

• 101 mickalfas // Jun 23, 2015 at 7:32 AM

Wilnaldum looks a top player,buy him for £14m,if Matips good enough buy for £8m,another CB in the same price bracket and Austin for £15m ,total£45m
    Get tiote back to form ,with de Jong,Aaron’s ,Cisse fully fit,Perez
    Sell Sissoko £17m and replace with a couple of good wingers
    I can see the makings of a half decent squad for not much outlay ,£45m less any deadwood/dross we can get rid of
    Hoping but can’t see us getting anybody,until a clear out happens

• 102 Ron Knee // Jun 23, 2015 at 7:40 AM

Lilongwe
    On Rivière: He might prove difficult to offload.

• 103 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 23, 2015 at 7:43 AM

Ron,
    I’m sure he will. I think our only chance would be to loan him out and try and get the other club to pay at least part of his wages. I still wouldn’t want him as one of our pool of strikers though.

• 104 Chris // Jun 23, 2015 at 7:44 AM

Cathro was a new name to me but I’m really liking what I’m reading about him.

I’m just wondering about his current availability though, in view of this:

“The 28-year-old decided during the season to stand down in the summer for family reasons”

“Cathro has been linked with the managerial vacancy at Rangers but is not currently considering offers from any clubs”
    BBC Sport, 11 June

• 105 mickalfas // Jun 23, 2015 at 7:44 AM

And if we can sell Riviere for £5m lol,and replace with Mitrovic for say £15m for an outlay of around £50m would be a dream
    Cisse,Mitrovic, Austin and Perez up front
    Stop it Mick ,getting carried away !!

• 106 sparky55 // Jun 23, 2015 at 7:46 AM

Riviere will come good…put him down for 15 goals next year if he gets a regular starting spot. He’s a good target man, holds the ball up well but admittedly had anxiety issues in front of goal and lacked composure last year…but I honestly think he’ll come good if given the chance

• 107 woodsee // Jun 23, 2015 at 7:50 AM

See we are odds on with oddschecker to sign wor Charrlie again,that lot just make it up as they go

• 108 firebug666 // Jun 23, 2015 at 7:52 AM

sparky55

I agree mate, Riviere has all the attributes to be a good goal getter, I think; like a lot of our players, last season just got away from him, he was so desperate to score he snatched at every opportunity.

With a “Clean Slate” some decent coaching, and a rebuild in confidence I think he will do well.

• 109 calvinzolamakongo // Jun 23, 2015 at 7:52 AM

Alright boys if you love a bet check this site best one Iv found for a while for offers etc http://partners.10bet.com/processing/clickthrgh.asp?btag=a_31009b_1

• 110 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 23, 2015 at 7:57 AM

Sparky,
    15 goals?? He has never managed that in an inferior French league! The season before we signed him was the first time he managed 10, and that was in a top side with James Rodriguez and Joao Moutinho (amongst others) supplying the bullets.

I don’t see these redeeming features. He is okay at a could of these things, but okay in the sense he would do well in the Championship. He isn’t good enough if we are really looking to move onwards and upwards.

• 111 Blofal // Jun 23, 2015 at 7:57 AM

Sparky I agree.

Riviere has everything except composure in front of goal.

He holds the ball up, gets in the right positions, is ok out on the wing. If he can just stop snatching at shots he could be a top striker. And I would hate to see that happen at another club. If he converted just half of the chances he had last year he would have scored 10 goals. He seems to be a confidence player and hopefully McClaren can get the best out of him. If he plays enough games I think it could all fall into place for him this year.

• 112 Blofal // Jun 23, 2015 at 7:59 AM

LG

Riviere was second striker for Monaco behind Falcao. He never really got a chance there either.

I think we bought him because physically he has what it takes to be a premier league striker.

• 113 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 23, 2015 at 8:05 AM

Blofal,
    Falcao missed 6 months of the season. Riviere played 30 games that season.

Riviere played for them in Ligue 2 and managed just 4 goals in 14.

Since 08/09 when he broke into the St Ettienne team his league goals for a season reads – 1, 8, 8, 5, 4, 10, 1. All bar the last 1 are in the French leagues. The standard there is poorer than the Prem, and he struggles for goals.

He just isn’t good enough in my opinion.

• 114 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 23, 2015 at 8:07 AM

Blofal,
    As a second striker you create goals as well. That should be a large part. Rivi’s league assists – 0, 3, 10, 1, 1, 2, 1, 1. Again, not exactly impressive.

• 115 Mr Magpie // Jun 23, 2015 at 8:07 AM

Our Toon
    I get your points on Cabella last season, he didn’t have a great season & at times looked poor but i think it was down to the way he was asked to play.

The same player when playing for Montpellier in Ligue1 & the champions league was excellent in the final third & caused defences a lot of problems.

He was playing further up field without so many defensive commitments. I am hoping Mcclaren uses him as an attacking winger operating in the final third & told to attack defenders, then i think we will get to see the best of him in a Newcastle shirt.

• 116 optimistic prime // Jun 23, 2015 at 8:08 AM

Rivierre=the French Shola

• 117 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 23, 2015 at 8:10 AM

He may be more effective out wide, but I would prefer to get an out and out wide man in rather than hope he can do a job there. Rivi is a poor mans Gouffran, and we Monaco saw us coming on this one.

I said all last season that I would be happy for him to prove otherwise. Nothing he did made me change my mind. I’m still a big enough man though to admit I was wrong if he does well this season, I’m not too worried on that front though.

• 118 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 23, 2015 at 8:11 AM

OP,
    I’d have preferred Shola all of last season.

• 119 beermonkey // Jun 23, 2015 at 8:11 AM

riviere had an awful start with us typical pards used him as a target man and he isn’t one of those
    used as part of a front 3 he will score when his confidence returns
    is strong on the ball not a bad cross from wide gets in great scoring positions just needs to find his scoring boots
    latter part of the season you could see he has the attributes to do a job for us
    its down to McLaren to get it out of him but he aint the only one lots in the squad need help

• 120 Thump // Jun 23, 2015 at 8:12 AM

Ah christ, the spam merchants have found their way onto the blog again.

• 121 optimistic prime // Jun 23, 2015 at 8:20 AM

Lg

Me to, Shola would have scored against the mackems atleast.

Don’t rate Rivierre at all, we wa bumped at £6m

• 122 beermonkey // Jun 23, 2015 at 8:21 AM

Lilongwe

while I think riviere will be able to a job for us
    apart from do a job I could never work out why we bought him and cabella both used to playing behind a striker or wide as part of a 3 add to that we bought de jong as well a more natural no10
    I always though the riviere cash could have been used better

• 123 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 23, 2015 at 8:25 AM

Beer,
    Rivi was a panic, and Monaco knew that, so they screwed us for the cash. Even the French media were saying we had overpaid, and some were saying he wasn’t good enough. I would have preferred to have given Shola another year than waste money on Rivi.

I’d prefer to cut our losses, but nobody would pay the money we pay him, and we would get nowhere near our money back. He will be another Luque/Xisco – incidentally, both of them had better goals per games records for NUFC than Riviere does.

• 124 Jail for Ashley // Jun 23, 2015 at 8:31 AM

We bought Riverie because he fitted in with the stated policy of if we don’t get our first target we move on to the next, it just so happens he was the very last name on that list. In an ideal world it would be better just to take a hit on his fee and give him back, however the player has just a little bit to say about that having a legally bound three or four year contract saying we’ll give him 20 odd K a week for awhile.

• 125 beermonkey // Jun 23, 2015 at 8:31 AM

Lilongwe

what annoys me is the fee and wages for both riviere and chucky and 5 mill would have bought any number of strikers we are desperate for
    like Alexandre Lacazette that we were so heavily linked with

• 126 Jail for Ashley // Jun 23, 2015 at 8:34 AM

Also I don’t see it as great progress if we buy a ST from outside the PL and sell Cisse, especially if that’s the only business we do in that department.

• 127 beermonkey // Jun 23, 2015 at 8:36 AM

jail

that has disaster written all over it
    but I bet we do

• 128 optimistic prime // Jun 23, 2015 at 8:38 AM

I wouldn’t sell Cisse, he’s the only proven goal scorer we have. If we sold him and replaced him with Austin IMO it would be a step backwards.

• 129 TheToonKing // Jun 23, 2015 at 8:39 AM

no way are we signing Matip, the guy is a highly rated, quality, young CB.

It would be quite the coup if we manage to though.

• 130 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 23, 2015 at 8:40 AM

Have we signed anyone yet?

• 131 Jail for Ashley // Jun 23, 2015 at 8:42 AM

I remember getting a bit of grief for suggesting out transfer policy was flawed, Cabaye, Santon, Ba and Debuchy !!! How can that be flawed. Well I think it’s been proved that it is, the above mentioned are gone with the other successes not willing to sign new contracts and having to be sold whether or not it’s in our best interests, meanwhile the deadwood mounts up using up squad places.

• 132 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 23, 2015 at 8:43 AM

Chronicle are saying we will try and sign Diego Rolan from bordeuaxuaeuaeuaeeuaeuauxx if we fail to sign Chaz.

• 133 Sazzer // Jun 23, 2015 at 8:49 AM

Diego Rolan new name is Sammy Gouffertan.

• 134 lochinvar // Jun 23, 2015 at 8:50 AM

Sign two ?
    We can’t even count.
    Matip and Thauvin is two.
    Bamford ( the Sun report ) is one.
    That makes three in my book .
    Hope Ashley is cleverer on the negotiations otherwise who knows how many we will sign.
    Add Austin and at least one other of the rumoured big CB’s then we have the Famous Five.
    Or can we expect The Magnificent Seven – that would be ambitious !

• 135 LGFUAD21 // Jun 23, 2015 at 8:50 AM

Not fussed about Thauvin for a second.

Got too much in his head and has never come close to his fee hence Marseille willing to let him leave financial woes or not.

Can’t comment on Matip but Bamford could be a tidy risk. Clearly got potential.

I’d go all out for Clasie. He seems to have largely flown under the radar compared to other decent Dutch lads but he reminds me very much of Paul Scholes. Reckon £8m and he’s ours and we’d finally have a truly battling midfield with him in.

• 136 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 23, 2015 at 8:50 AM

Sazzer

Yes. Yes it is. Another player to make up the numbers, i suspect.

• 137 mickalfas // Jun 23, 2015 at 9:52 AM

Wouldn’t it be a step in the right direction if we actually bought players we need to strengthen the team
    As it is it seems that they only look at the potential profit margin down the line
    The deadwood we have bought /gambled on would more than likely outweigh any profit we’ve made on players in the past
    Considering the amount of money we need to spend to catch up to the likes of Swansea etc

previous post: Newcastle To Bid £8M For Chelsea Striker