The Newcastle United Blog

News and Commentary On Newcastle United By Ed Harrison, A Proud Exiled Geordie And Lifelong Fan

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!



Another Top Target Turns Newcastle Down

1:25 pm, Tuesday, June 23rd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 27 Comments

23 year-old Schalke defender Joel Matip is a very good player so when we’ve been linked with the 6’4″ center-back it was good news, but it seems Newcastle Unite’s name is not what it used to be – especially after our terrible second half of last season.

And news today in Germany that Joel Matip is simply not interested in joining Newcastle, and it looks like he wants to stay at Schalke – where he’s been for 15 years and has one year left on his contract at the club.

joel matip

Joel Matip – not interested in joining Newcastle

The report is from German publisher WAZ and it suggests that if indeed Matip were to leave Schalke, he would look for a bigger club than Newcastle.

Schalke Sporting Director, Horst Heldt has been quoted in the report and this is what he’s said:

“Joel wants to stay at Schalke,” “So far we have not yet negotiated, but only an exploratory talk.”

Newcastle have faltered as a club over the last eight years during which time we’ve finished in the top ten of the Premier League only twice and we’ve been fighting relegation in two of our last three seasons.

So we can hardly be called one of England’s top clubs at the moment – in spite of our great history.

One of the things Newcastle must do next season is to have a good season, so then it will be easier  to attract good players to the club next summer or even next January – as we used to do.

The target is to finish in the top eight next season and try to win one of the local cups, but before then we have to strengthen the squad.

Comments welcome.



Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target




27 responses so far ↓

  • 1 TheToonKing // Jun 23, 2015 at 1:26 PM

    was to be expected….he’s too good for us.

  • 2 GeordieinOhio // Jun 23, 2015 at 1:29 PM

    shock horror!! there’s a surprise!

  • 3 Ron Knee // Jun 23, 2015 at 1:30 PM

    “213 year-old Schalke defender Joel Matip”. Who’d have him at that age?

  • 4 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 23, 2015 at 1:31 PM

    still be better than willo at 213 lol

  • 5 mickalfas // Jun 23, 2015 at 1:32 PM

    Top 8 and win a cup ,come on Ed ,are you for real
    Hopefully 4th bottom if we try hard ,remember most clubs are improving
    Arsley OUT !!!

  • 6 ilovetoon8788 // Jun 23, 2015 at 1:37 PM

    Top 8?? It’s more like top 8 is the target for the next 3 years. Next season is definitely survival in the Premier League.

  • 7 ls // Jun 23, 2015 at 1:37 PM

    Won’t miss him…schalke fans don’t rate him and would have taken the money in a heartbeat… The article also states the reason he isnt joining nufc is that there was no offer/contact to neither him or the club

  • 8 lordy_geordie // Jun 23, 2015 at 1:38 PM

    213? Theres commitment and still playin at top level. most retire at most mid 30’s. Not this guy his love of the game carries him well into the hundreds.

  • 9 Riviere Run Dry // Jun 23, 2015 at 1:39 PM

    No he hasn’t. You and any other publication has a shred of proof to back up this, Ed.

  • 10 scottoon // Jun 23, 2015 at 1:39 PM

    Matip does not want to be infected…..

    Repost from previous thread…..

    The Barrack Road Plague, as it has come to be known, is said to have originated in the executive offices of the famous Newcastle United Football Club as early as 2007. Minor flare ups over the years were contained until 2015 when the contagion, which apparently only affects footballers, and football coaches, gained significant traction. Alan Pardew, long time manager at NUFC, is said to have recognized the infection and bolted before it took him down, although rumours persist that he has been a carrier of the disease for many years, and that efforts at containment are for nought as it is just a matter of time before the infection takes root at Crystal Palace.

    In a concerted effort to contain this heinous harmful agent, St James Park has been quarantined. There will be no new coaches, players, or executives allowed into the club for the foreseeable future.

    Specialists, most notably the supporters of NUFC recognize that the cure for this evil lies in the excision of patient zero from the club, one Michael Ashley. Mr. Ashley is a notable businessman who has been the owner of Newcastle since 2007. These specialists have long theorized that the effects of the plague can be reversed in carriers if the original host is eradicated.

    Notwithstanding the previous statement, there are fears that Mr. Pardew is simply too infected to recover.

  • 11 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 23, 2015 at 1:45 PM

    PSV have announced Sunderland haven’t bid for Wijnaldum

  • 12 Our Toon // Jun 23, 2015 at 1:50 PM

    This is a case of chickens coming home to roost.

  • 13 SuperShearer // Jun 23, 2015 at 1:51 PM

    Cisse’s not so subtle message to Newcastle and Charlie Austin from Twitter: Im proud to be wearing the number 9 shirt and im looking forward to this season!

  • 14 The overrated Frenchman // Jun 23, 2015 at 1:54 PM

    As mentioned above, he is not highly regarded by S04 fans in general. I was surprised to see him come up on our radar.

  • 15 Our Toon // Jun 23, 2015 at 1:55 PM

    Good on Cisse!! If we aren’t careful we will upset our only real goal threat. Chances of getting Austin are slim. We still haven’t managed an assistant to come in

  • 16 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 23, 2015 at 1:55 PM

    looks like coaches are finally coming in
    https://nufcdigest.wordpress.com/2015/06/23/newcastle-united-set-to-appoint-former-valencia-coach-ian-cathro-to-their-backroom-team/

  • 17 Keith in France // Jun 23, 2015 at 2:02 PM

    It’s not surprising this type of player doesn’t want to come to Newcastle – if he’s Champions League standard (I don’t know if he is?)why would he want to?

    I think the only players we are likly to attract are the next tier down – young guys who are looking to use us as a stepping stone for better things.

    Unless we have two or three consecutive good years I think it will always be like that.

    I don’t think Charlie Austin is close to being a CL player but it seems he and is family are settled in the London area so it’s unlikey he will come- even to wear the iconic No 9 – maybe when we were the ‘entertainers’ but sadly not now.

  • 18 Ron Knee // Jun 23, 2015 at 2:03 PM

    TFL@17
    But can Charmless get him ‘over the line’?

  • 19 scottoon // Jun 23, 2015 at 2:05 PM

    Charlie’s England career is just kicking off. No way he will risk infection.

  • 20 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 23, 2015 at 2:05 PM

    Hopefully Ron

  • 21 JamesToon // Jun 23, 2015 at 2:07 PM

    ffs sunderland make 11m bid for wijnaldum, we really need him

  • 22 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 23, 2015 at 2:08 PM

    JamesToon
    PSV have announced Sunderland have’,t bid for him

  • 23 Klam3r // Jun 23, 2015 at 2:12 PM

    Every player with half a brain should stay away from this club until the club proves they are ambitious.

    For me this season is all about stability. Make us stable, fix our image and then we might attract more of our targets next summer.

    These days we’re not attractive at all and to get class players we need to offer them more than just Newcastle and an average contract. The fat one won’t do that though.

  • 24 thevirus // Jun 23, 2015 at 3:41 PM

    News just in convicted rapist ched Evans turns down move to Newcastle as it could prove to be a new low in his career

  • 25 lochinvar // Jun 23, 2015 at 4:05 PM

    So Matip has been at Schalke since he was 8 years old – understandably he’s nervous about moving up to the big boys school.
    Never mind his loss , if any of the reports are even remotely true.

  • 26 Big Archie // Jun 23, 2015 at 7:40 PM

    If we had chased al the players we have been linked with and been turned down by half as many as these websites claim then I think McClaren would have topped himself already!

    Pure speculation, no evidence at all. Just a bunch of journos making stuff up.

    Usual close season rubbish

  • 27 stephen1971 // Jun 24, 2015 at 12:18 PM

    Come on guys, how can you say back in the entertainer days ? Ashley has made us the biggest entertainers in English football, well everyone is laughing at us,




previous post: Newcastle Should Resist Selling This Player In Summer

next post: Good News – This Man Can Solve Newcastle’s Injury Problems