The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Marseilles Want Cabella – In Part Exchange For Thauvin?

10:16 am, Thursday, June 25th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 150 Comments

There is a report in La Provence today that Remy Cabella could find himself on loan next season at Marseilles, but that will depend among other things, on West Ham being successful in their bid to sign Dimitri Payet this summer.

sammy ameobi remy cabella hull

Remy Cabella – in action for Newcastle last season

The report suggests that Marseilles have been interested in Remy Cabella over the last tow or three years,  before he signed last year for Newcastle, but the 25 year-old had a tough baptism in English football last season.

Remy – like a lot of other players at the club – played nowhere near his best form last term.

Marseilles President Vincent Labrune is said to have met Cabella’s father and his advisors repeatedly in the past,  and two years ago they made an offer of €8.5M (about £6M) to Montpellier that was turned down by club President Louis Nicollin.

Marseilles are considering getting Cabella on a season long loan deal for next season, and that he could even be used in exchange for Florian Thauvin – according to the report in La Provence.

The report also suggests that Remy Cabella wants to leave Newcastle, and that he has told his advisers to find him a new club – in Spain.

This is the translation of the La Provence report about Cabella wanting away from Newcastle:

RC (Remy Cabella) (31 games, 21 starts for 1 goal) wishes to leave the north-east of England. The champion of France, crowned in 2012, has informed his representatives at the end of last year that Spain is his preference, including Sevilla.¨

But we’d be very surprised if that is accurate.

Newcastle have already supposedly bid for Florian Thauvin, and if the news last night is accurate – he has turned down Newcastle and would prefer a move to either Arsenal or Tottenham in north London.

So if that news is accurate forget about offering Remy Cabella in part exchange for Thauvin – it wouldn’t happen.

But we would also be surprised if Steve McClaren would allow Remy Cabella to go on loan this summer, or even leave the club permanently.

Steve McClaren has been brought in to get the very best out of players just like Cabella – who under-performed for Newcastle last season.

Cabella didn’t have a good first season on Tyneside, but he did show in patches what he is capable of, and players often need time to settle in the Premier League.

We would be very surprised if Cabella is not at Newcastle this September.

What do you think?

Tags: Loan Moves · Newcastle News · Premier League · Remy Cabella · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

150 responses so far ↓

• 1 Mr Magpie // Jun 25, 2015 at 10:27 AM

We certainly need new signings of centre backs & strikers but how do you feel about left back.

Do you guys feel Haidara or Dummett is good enough or do you think we need to be bringing in a new left back?

• 2 Jan Stavik // Jun 25, 2015 at 10:32 AM

Santon is far better than those two, selling him for EUR 2.8m is sheer stupidity. So yes, a new left back is needed!

• 3 Shot Bru // Jun 25, 2015 at 10:32 AM

To be fair Cabella is Shite in the EPL .

However, the advice from his coach and chairman at Montpellier to avoid NUFC like the plague, must be ringing loudly in his ears!!!

• 4 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 25, 2015 at 10:33 AM

It wouldn’t be a surprise if he wanted out at all. He has struggled here, and lost his place in the national side. A return to France, or a move to Spain may well suit him and give him a better chance of representing his country in the Euro’s. Not saying that this is true, but I could see reasons on his part for wanting it.

A loan doesn’t suit us though. If he is to go, it should be permanent either with cash or player/players coming the other way.

• 5 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 25, 2015 at 10:35 AM

Mr Magpie,
    A better left back would be good, but there are areas we need strengthening more, so it would be fairly low down my priority list.

• 6 Shot Bru // Jun 25, 2015 at 10:38 AM

At least there’s interest for Cabella..

Pity there won’t be for Riviere.

• 7 nut meg // Jun 25, 2015 at 10:40 AM

The priorities haven’t changed…..CBs, CFs then you can fill in the other positions.

• 8 will die for the toon army // Jun 25, 2015 at 10:40 AM

Mr. Magpie

left is ok. Young boys with room for improvement.

• 9 will die for the toon army // Jun 25, 2015 at 10:42 AM

I wld keeep him if he wanted to stay. If he wantsto go. I never want a player like tthat

• 10 nufc95 // Jun 25, 2015 at 10:46 AM

We need to get centre backs and strikers before we even start looking at other positions would also help if we had training staff

• 11 Graeme // Jun 25, 2015 at 10:48 AM

Nut meg – knowing how the club has been run for the past 7 years, do you really think we will bring in a CB? We have 5 CB’s on the books today in Saylor, Colo, Willo, Dummet plus the new kid from Forrest.

Unless there is a clear out of 2 or 3 of the above, I really don’t see us bringing in another CB.

The fact that 3 of those 5 are not fit for purpose is not a factor in how Penfold looks at the situation. Its a numbers game and 5 is already too many. In reallity, yes, we do need at least 2 CB’s but I dont think they see it that way.

• 12 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 25, 2015 at 10:50 AM

Morning,
    Craig Dawson anyone?

• 13 switch365 // Jun 25, 2015 at 10:52 AM

Charlie Austin
    Aleksandar Mitrovic
    Georginio Wijnaldum or Yohan Cabaye
    Yevhen Konoplyanka
    Fabian Schär
    Daniele Rugani

Then perhaps we can start talking winning something

• 14 Mr Magpie // Jun 25, 2015 at 10:54 AM

Switch365
    Fabian Schaar has signed for Hoffenheim

• 15 switch365 // Jun 25, 2015 at 10:54 AM

🙁

• 16 lesh // Jun 25, 2015 at 11:02 AM

But if Thauvin doesn’t want to come…….. although money talks!

• 17 davetoon // Jun 25, 2015 at 11:05 AM

2 new centre backs should be priority #1 and soon as so they can begin working together.
    The rest of the positions depend on predicting what injuries we will get or who we will force out on the final day of the transfer window when a big offer comes in

• 18 Jib // Jun 25, 2015 at 11:09 AM

I think this is just paper talk.

OM don’t need the money now Payet is off
    to Wet Spam.

Cabella was delighted to get his transfer and to be fair to him when certain poor facets of his game were publicly highlighted the kid could be seen to make an effort to rectify them.

You cannot really judge on half a season under AP then half a season under a guy clearly out of his depth.

Supermac has yet to assess him , and when that happens I think we’ll see improvement.

Instead of a book about where he comes from
    How about ” A Year in The Toon”

• 19 The overrated Frenchman // Jun 25, 2015 at 11:12 AM

We won’t get anything close to our money back by selling Cabella or Riviere. It’s impossible to know for sure, but between them I’d reckon they cost close to 15 mill. They will be of zero interest to any big club, and I would think that we’d be lucky to get back half of what we paid for them. I am an unashamed Charnley-Carr basher I admit, but really, these were two absolutely dreadful signings. Neither has the attributes to cut it in our league, and that should have been bleeding obvious.

• 20 Jib // Jun 25, 2015 at 11:18 AM

Frenchy

Like a lot of the posters of a certain type on here you are a past master of being very wise an profound after the event.

I clearly recall you saying about this time last year how pleasantly surprised and pleased you were that we’d pulled off the Cabella signing.

• 21 will die for the toon army // Jun 25, 2015 at 11:24 AM

Thats wat we said abt Colo and Enrique. Then they came good. Lets give them time. I reckon we keep them for next season and see. All we need is;
    Austin Dost Wijand Matip Thauvin
    2 stricker 1Attacking Midfielder 1 Centre Back and 1 Wing Forwrd.
    …………………….Krul
    Janmatt……..Matip…….Colo(c). …….Durmett
    ……………Wijnand…………Colback
    Sisoko…………..De Jong……………..Thauvin
    …………………….Austin
    Subs:
    Darlow, S.Taylor, Anita, Toite, Cabella, Perez, Dost.
    TOP 6 CLUB.
    Sell Cisse, Guoffran, Mauvuex, Fergie, Vurkic, Williamson.

• 22 The overrated Frenchman // Jun 25, 2015 at 11:26 AM

I did not! I thought he was a big gamble and over-priced. If I was surprised, it wasn’t pleasantly, I promise you! I was hoping we’d get Grenier. I admit I say stupid things on here when I’m pissed – which is most nights – but I won’t own up to that.

• 23 Jail for Ashley // Jun 25, 2015 at 11:27 AM

I asked the question the other day, Santons defensive abilities were the cause of much debate but does anybody think that Haidara and Dummet are better than him. In an ideal world we would see a quality LB signed with Haidara as back up but in the real world more than likely it would be Dummet as the back up for his ability to play at CB. In the even more real world Dummet will be first choice LB in August until STaylor gets his perennial injury and Collo needs to visit home to watch San Lorenzo.

• 24 will die for the toon army // Jun 25, 2015 at 11:32 AM

Sell Williamson and get one CB. I still trust COLO.

• 25 will die for the toon army // Jun 25, 2015 at 11:33 AM

Colo never gets Injured.

• 26 Ibizatoon // Jun 25, 2015 at 11:33 AM

Jib…I’ve not really been keeping up with the blog lately, so perhaps you can catch me up.

Are you still holding out hope of people thinking you’re a long time reader, first time poster and definitely not Jeff?

Just want to make sure I don’t blow your cover, if you are indeed still trying to do so.

Jail…I saw a post to you earlier, basically saying well done for your efforts, but now you need to take a step back and see what the club does now that is has ambition. Did it make you chuckle? I did.

• 27 Jib // Jun 25, 2015 at 11:34 AM

I think the Ukrainian – Kerplonker – whatever he’s called – would get found out in the EPL.
    Watched him in the Euros , not really impressed.

• 28 Ibizatoon // Jun 25, 2015 at 11:36 AM

On the subject of LB’s. I did think that Haidara would ultimately offer us a better all round FB than Santon, but he doesn’t seem to be progressing really. Not sure if it was the injury, non-consistent starts etc, but he hasn’t looked the same.

I think like many people, the LB spot is one I would happily wait for at this stage. Far greater issues to address. CB and ST. Stopping and scoring goals have been a big issue.

• 29 Jib // Jun 25, 2015 at 11:36 AM

Ibiza
    Frankly my dear I couldn’t give a damn .

• 30 Jail for Ashley // Jun 25, 2015 at 11:38 AM

@22,
    Ha ha 😀

• 31 mickalfas // Jun 25, 2015 at 11:42 AM

If we dont sort out the defence ,we are going to need a lot more than Austin to sort the goal difference problem out

• 32 Ibizatoon // Jun 25, 2015 at 11:42 AM

Jib…Isn’t there an Ashley in Gone with the wind? I may have to take to Google.

• 33 Jib // Jun 25, 2015 at 11:44 AM

Frenchy

• 34 Jib // Jun 25, 2015 at 11:46 AM

Yup he was played by leslie howard who was shot down by the luftwaffe near gibraltar

• 35 Jail for Ashley // Jun 25, 2015 at 11:47 AM

Ibiza,
    I was going to reply to Cyprus to say as much as I support the ONGOING campaign it wasn’t mine to take credit for. Some people do seem to think it’s job done, but I’m sure there are even more people waiting to see what happens in the summer before resuming hostilities.

• 36 Jib // Jun 25, 2015 at 11:47 AM

my quote was from Rhett Butler by the way

• 37 lesh // Jun 25, 2015 at 11:50 AM

According to the Grauniad, Payet’s set for s medical at WHU tomorrow. The clubs have reported a £10.7m fee and he’ll be paid £60k a week PLUS an appearance bonus of £10k a game.

The pay deal’d make more sense than a crap wage plus a bonus dependant on where we finish the season. It might encourage the lame to find their fitness a bit quicker!

• 38 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 25, 2015 at 11:50 AM

De Jong having special training

• 39 The overrated Frenchman // Jun 25, 2015 at 11:53 AM

Thanks Jib. My doctor tells me that all time. My late wife used to bang on about it too, but my memory is the least of my problems as I approach old age….

• 40 lesh // Jun 25, 2015 at 11:53 AM

Ibiza

You’ve no need to search Google, Jib knows its contents by heart!

• 41 Ibizatoon // Jun 25, 2015 at 11:54 AM

Jib…I got that, thank you. Ah yes, Leslie, once again, thank you.

Jail…I thought the tone of the post was extremely patronising, but perhaps I interpreted it incorrectly. What I found amusing was that you’ve been getting called out for it for ages. Then people started to see the light. Now, after the smallest amount of effort by Ashley, you’re supposed to just sit quietly. Bit of a cheek really.

• 42 Slank // Jun 25, 2015 at 11:54 AM

Jib

‘… he was played by leslie howard who was shot down by the luftwaffe near gibraltar..’

• 43 Jib // Jun 25, 2015 at 11:55 AM

The Toon and West Ham interest in Villareal left midfielder Alfonso Pedraza (19) .

• 44 Ibizatoon // Jun 25, 2015 at 11:56 AM

Lesh…I had thought that Jib would be able to provide the answer, I was just offering him an out…just in case.

Did you ever see the Google T-Shirt that Firebug posted a few months back? Still makes me grin.

• 45 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 25, 2015 at 11:56 AM

That’s more like it Newcastle are gonna buy before they sell

• 46 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 25, 2015 at 11:57 AM

Jib so are we

• 47 Jib // Jun 25, 2015 at 11:57 AM

Slank
    They believed Churchill was on the flight

• 48 Jib // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:02 PM

Ibiza
    Contrary to popular belief
    I rarely have to Google
    My head is full of useless crap
    I used to win fortunes in pub quizzes before mobile fone internet reared its ugly head

• 49 Slank // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:02 PM

Jib

Didn’t think that dog in the adverts was that old.

• 50 Jail for Ashley // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:05 PM

Jib,
    Bollox !

• 51 Ibizatoon // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:05 PM

Jib…I think people are still confused between you and Jeff. You don’t give a damn though, so…

• 52 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:07 PM

Slank
    “I can understand Hermann Goering not being a great fan of Leslie Howard films but that’s a bit extreme.”

I nearly choked on my coffee lmao

• 53 hibbit // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:09 PM

jeff from benwell / jib / jane MULTI WUM

• 54 jazzyp // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:12 PM

Tfl

I say it time and time again, If Sdj could stay fit he would be a massive player for us.
    Pre season last summer the lad looked a different class above anything we have at our disposal.If he was to carry on in the same vain as in injuries blighting his game time then we may have bought a dud. As we did with Gouffy….Obershocker….Willo……Riviere ect ect

• 55 Mister Tuff // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:13 PM

Jib/Jeff/Jib2 —-you don’t need to tell us your head is full of crap -we already knew that.
    You stupid links/posts are boring. Why don’t you clear off.

• 56 Jail for Ashley // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:17 PM

Jeff from benwell gets banned for being a vile ar$ehole, disappears for a bit before setting up a new account where he is just about managing to keep his vileness in check but just can’t help being an ar$ehole.

• 57 Mr Magpie // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:20 PM

We need 2 cb’s in my opinion, both with height, speed & one at least who is able to play/bring the ball out from the back.

Alongside this a striker who can hold the ball up to link play with the midfield whilst also being able to contribute 15-20 goals a season.

I think we have creative players in Cabella who if played central would come good & also from De Jong who has been injured.

We do however lack genuine wide players apart from Aarons & need at least one bringing in.

I’m not convinced on Haidara at left back, his positioning is suspect at times & his delivery can also be poor but he is far better than Dummett & hopefully will improve under Mcclaren’s coaching.

I’d personally like to see Van Ginkel brought in from Chelsea on loan with a view to buy. He would improve our midfield no end, can tackle but also his distribution is good.

• 58 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:21 PM

Jazzyp
    Siem would be massive, he’ll be like a new signing!

• 59 Jib // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:23 PM

Being linked with another young wing back , this is all very exciting

Mr Tuff this clip involves football
    F O O T B A L L
    Have a look you might find you like it .

• 60 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:26 PM

Would you say McClaren is under pressure?

• 61 Jib // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:26 PM

Jail
    How did you know Jeff from Benwell was banned ?
    Whoops
    Card marked
    Be afraid be very afraid

• 62 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:28 PM

Pedraza looks canny, but due to him playing for Villareal, we cant give him a squad number with a ‘4’ in it. It would confuse him. Villareal 4s look like sideways Zs.

• 63 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:29 PM

TFL…I am not sure what he has done as of yet?

• 64 Jail for Ashley // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:29 PM

Jib,
    Is that vileness seeping out there !

• 65 Ibizatoon // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:29 PM

I wrote to Ed a little while back asking what had happened to Jeff, he said that he had been banned after being given chance after chance…

• 66 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:31 PM

Seriously

Internet threats are futile and pathetic. What are you going to do? Pull faces at your monitor? Just stick witht the fcuking football for fcuks sake.

• 67 Ibizatoon // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:32 PM

TFL…I guess that depends. Under pressure from whom?

• 68 Jib // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:32 PM

Jail
    That was my doppelganger
    I don’t even know what he was talking about

• 69 Jail for Ashley // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:32 PM

I don’t think there is any doubt of your former identity Jib, you can’t help yourself !

• 70 Ibizatoon // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:33 PM

Jesper…Be fair, he accepted the job and has spoken to the press on several occasions.

• 71 Jail for Ashley // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:34 PM

FFS.

• 72 seantoon // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:34 PM

How come every player we are linked with we seem to be fighting with West Ham for them! Are they just waiting to see who we are linked with and thinking right that’s a safe bet we will go for him! We should be challenging for the same players as Spurs, Everton if we want to challenge for something!

• 73 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:35 PM

Thats horsesh1t, Jib
    It was not your double because both comments carry the same pattern-square on the mobile site.

• 74 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:37 PM

Ibiza…Alright he has accepted the job and has talked to the press!

…oh and he has sat down with both Carr and Charmless to discuss something (don’t know if our mascot Moncur was there?)

• 75 martoon // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:37 PM

Afternoon YouCouldn’tMakeItUp – I noticed you have been on a lot today – could it be connected with your boss being in Munich 🙂
    Good shout about Pedraza.

• 76 Ibizatoon // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:38 PM

Jesper…See, he’s done lots really.

• 77 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:38 PM

Ibiza & Jesper
    He’s not been in the job that long

• 78 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:40 PM

Ibiza…I have never looked at it that way! I am beginning to to see McClaren in a whole new way…

• 79 Ibizatoon // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:41 PM

TFL…Fair enough. Why are you asking if he’s under pressure?

• 80 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:41 PM

TFL…never set the bar too high 😉

• 81 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:42 PM

Ibiza it was that article saying McClaren was under pressure

• 82 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:43 PM

TFL…To be honest I don’t think McClaren is under any pressure from above…as long as we are safe he can get away with murder (just like Pardew)

• 83 Ibizatoon // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:43 PM

Jesper…I will always help where I can. So, where do you see this all heading?

• 84 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:45 PM

fair point Jesper really hope he’s trying to sign players though

• 85 Ibizatoon // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:45 PM

TFL…But you asked us (the blog) what we thought. Not sure if your stance is going to be that he’s not been here long, why you would bring it up in the first place?

Jesper…When you say “above”, what do you mean, or should I say, who do you mean? 🙂

• 86 Slank // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:46 PM

Ibizatoon @ 67

‘…I guess that depends. Under pressure from whom?’

Precisely

• 87 Tsunki // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:50 PM

Stupid move if true for Cabella. If he wants to prove he can mix it in the tough leagues he needs to wait it out and see what Steve is going to do you the team. Flying home to mam or hiding in some non combative league will not help his progress. That’s if there’s going to get any. If players move here to simply showcase their ability in the premier league, a move back abroad = fail imo.

• 88 Slank // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:50 PM

McClaren’s prime role is coaching and getting results.

Recruitment and disposals are the responsibility of Carr and Charnley.

Money and spending it is the responsibility of Ashley and Charnley.

• 89 Jib // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:52 PM

Anyone know if Slavin Bilic of the hammers is a head coach or is in charge of transfers ?

• 90 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:54 PM

Ibiza I just found it a tad early for him to be under pressure and wondered what others thought

• 91 Lindisfarne // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:55 PM

J4A

A better analogy would have been, “The finances are ship shape and we are ready to set sail.” The use of ‘a horse and cart’ was a very curious slip up.

On Santon, I thought he was the next big holding midfielder! He had certainly outstayed his welcome at left back.

• 92 Our Toon // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:58 PM

Another day of no news, no further on appointing staff and no further in getting players in. Some will say not to panic though because 1st July isn’t here yet…..the bloody jokers eh!!

• 93 Slank // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:58 PM

Leeds

It’s ridiculous about McClaren being supposedly (and that is the key word) under pressure.

• 94 Our Toon // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:59 PM

On Santon I always said he’s the best LB we have a got slated for it time after time, Dummett is defo the worst and Haidara is always MIA

• 95 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:02 PM

I agree Slank

• 96 Ibizatoon // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:06 PM

TFL…Then I have to ask again, under pressure from whom? Fans? The board? Both?

My feeling is that yes, it is soon for McLaren, but he would have been well aware of the situation when taking the job.

The whole club should be putting themselves under pressure to sort out this mess we find ourselves in.

• 97 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:09 PM

Slank
    I agree with that the whole club should be and should be recuiting etc to avoid being in the same mess

• 98 carl // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:10 PM

Mike Ashley has never seen NUFC as a full time job and since Chris Mort went back to his day job, he has put the club in charge of inadequate people. Non business/football people who have been simply out of their depth. Derek Lambias couldn’t have run Spanish City at Whitley Bay.

Amongst many Dennis Wise was hired as a director!
    With regards to management, we should have asked the late Sir Bobby Robson to assist any new manager before he was allowed to assume the mantle. SBR was one of the few people who you could have trusted to do this to the best of his ability. May he rest in peace.

Graeme Souness had a plummeting reputation as a manager and took us into decline as he had done at his previous club, Blackburn, who had a sharp upturn when he left. This turned out to be a very costly mistake.
    Glenn Roeder did a great job at a bargain price but paid for his lack of
    managerial experience and stature and was made a scapegoat by Freddy Shepherd who failed to provide adequate financial cover for an extraordinary sucession of injuries. Yes, the same Freddy Shepherd that had sacked Sir Bobby. It was stated at the time that he had been
    greatly influenced by fans like so many ranters on here. Hard to
    believe that we could ever get a worse chairman than him !

Enter Mike Ashley, who started well by getting rid of Freddy Shepherd’s panacea for all our problems namely one Sam Allardyce. Who came announcing that he was bored with bargain hunting and the long-ball. Well that went well with Ashley ending up very quickly choosing to finance Sam’s retirement. Though with a slap in the face for Staticians that he was able to claim that he left Newcastle in the top half of the table with a high win percentage.

In truth Newcastle were getting beaten off Wigan at home and fell like a brick from the top of the table after the opener at Bolton. Bolton a club left in a shambles after their long term manager had deserted them at the close of the previous season.

Allardyce must have laughed all the way to the bank with his multi-million pay off, just before his managerial ability was about to be found out in the next 5 matches that had Man Utd, 2 trips to Arsenal and an away trip to Stoke. After previousley getting 1 point from 6 from Derby & Wigan at home this would have been a telling month for Big Sam’s stats.

Kevin Keegan, a shadow of his former self did a decent job, but suffered from his usual lack of loyalty when the going gets tough. Everyone expected this to happen eventually, so no surprise there, except maybe to Mike Ashley. Enter JFK who did a good temporary job. If only it had stayed temporary. Again history will highlight his short comings greatly influenced by ill health. There followed a rudderless period following his heart attack, Newcastle’s Premiership status was lost despite the appointment of another messiah.

Mike Ashley’s original assessment of Shearer as manager, was that he
    lacked experience and it would take him too much time to get to grips
    with management. However, after a few too many beers with the Toon Army fans he decided that Shearer was the answer, only to find that after one win in 8(against a hapless Middlesborough) that his original assessment was correct.
    What has happened to the football historian type of fan it really wasn’t that long ago. This blog has gone to the dogs as anyone who posted in the early days will testify.

• 99 Jib // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:13 PM

The Press Association is quoting Newcastle as saying they will not think of players out until all targets are landed signed sealed and delivered.

The Chronic is saying , apart from Ings and Ayew , every other target linked with us is still in situ

• 100 Tsunki // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:15 PM

So let’s recap. Jeff from Benwell gets banned and comes back as Jib, same unpleasant manner and style to a tee.

Welshgeordie starts life as a minor wum graduating to self styled comedian. Formerly an ally if jeff, quickly warms to Jib.

Welshgeordie then mysteriously stalked by Welshie’s Sheep. Welshie’s Sheep apparently duplicates welshgeordies name and confusion reigns in Wales.

Jib then immediately falls victim to the same tactic.

So, currently, we now appear to have only one welshgeordie and one Jib, but they appear to remonstrate with themselves.

I think we’ve only had one jeff/jib and Welsh all along. Thoughts?

• 101 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:15 PM

Rob Lee has just said in an article that Newcastle are now a selling club, haven’t we been one for 8 years?

• 102 Jail for Ashley // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:15 PM

I can see why we have a different set of posters if the last lot left 10 paragraphs of rubbish every time they posted.

• 103 lesh // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:16 PM

If McClaren’s feeling under pressure already, it’s not right that the Club should place him in that situation.

He needs back room staff in. We need players which I’m confident he’ll have agreed to. So, has Charnley delivered? Has he hell and he ought to be replaced by an MD who can and will deliver.

• 104 richyg01 // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:17 PM

SSN: Ian Cathro to be appointed as McClarens No. 2

• 105 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:18 PM

Lesh
    Well said mate

• 106 Jib // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:18 PM

Tsunki
    You have some face
    What a cheeky bugger
    Remember Pokat you knobber

• 107 Jib // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:19 PM

richy
    Gerrin ya bugger (if true)

• 108 Mister Tuff // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:20 PM

WUM EXPOSED.
    There is probably little doubt that Jib is Jeff.
    His latest post :-
    Jib // Jun 25, 2015 at 12:26 PM
    “Jail
    How did you know Jeff from Benwell was banned ?
    Whoops
    Card marked
    Be afraid be very afraid”

Jib/Jib1/Jeff/Jane.
    how did you know Jeff was banned -obviously because you were and got the email from Ed.
    If he was banned -why should it bother you to the point of issuing a veiled threat -obviously because it is you.

Give knackers enough rope and they hang themselves. What a knacker.

• 109 richyg01 // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:20 PM

BREAKING NEWS

Ian Cathro to be appointed Steve McClaren’s assistant at Newcastle, according to Sky Sources.

• 110 Belfast // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:21 PM

Stick to tidying my filing cabinet Skunki.

• 111 Tsunki // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:21 PM

I think they might have got bored stiffless by massive not on topic posts Carl.

• 112 Ibizatoon // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:22 PM

Tsunki…I don’t like to assume things, but I can follow your working out.

Carl…Was there an actual point in there? Is it that you want more posters who can re-cap the history of the club?

• 113 Tsunki // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:23 PM

Only yanking your chain Carl. Good observation of events from a non partial skew.

So, posts 108 and 111 from the same person.

• 114 count // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:23 PM

Wonder how long it will be until we hear the classic phrase “before the transfer window SLAMS shut”…

• 115 Belfast // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:24 PM

I honestly thought I new who it was until last night, but after reading back on some of Catchy’s pet lips comments there was a number of other suspects who popped up.

• 116 Ibizatoon // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:26 PM

Belfast…So, to be clear, you’ve narrowed it down to…anyone?

Some fine work there 🙂

• 117 Tsunki // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:26 PM

By the way welshjiblet or Jibsh or whatever, everybody remembers Pokat because I told them about it when they couldn’t guess from the clues I left. You aren’t going to have the huevos to fess up though are you? Who’s the k**** er then?

• 118 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:26 PM

Belfast
    So are you no closer?

• 119 Lindisfarne // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:27 PM

Reasonable and rounded article, opinion rather than any facts.

• 120 carl // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:29 PM

Tsunki
    This used to be a football dominated site for the airing of views on matters past and present. Today it’s dominated by a small minority of those just bitching at one another. I am told more people now read and don’t post than ever before. Message there .
    I exclude you from this criticism as at least you are football orientated and an amusing rascal of a fan with a history of following the team in the lower reaches.

• 121 Tsunki // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:29 PM

I wouldn’t trouble yourself dusting that deerstalker off just yet belfast, and the pipe doesn’t suit you.

• 122 Tinman // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:31 PM

In comes Cathro, posters have been crying out for a foreign coach, let’s see if he can impose some style on our dross

• 123 Blackley and Brownlie // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:31 PM

I see young tuffty’s been on with his usual vitriol and demands to have people banned. No sooner will he get himself into trouble by swearing at folk than his mummy will be on to stick up for him because her little tuffty does no wrong.

Get some football craic instead of bad mouthing folk, tuffty. We had a great laugh when you stated the players would have zero respect for the second choice assistant coach. More gems like that please. No wonder you don’t delve into the world of football craic too often. Woo hoo.

Where did you get your psychology accreditations? You never said. Just like you never divulged your legal credentials.

O Dear. I’ve gone too far. Mummy will be be on.

• 124 Belfast // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:32 PM

I was nearly certain but reading back on some old comments has muddied the waters.

• 125 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:33 PM

Cathro is scottish

• 126 Tinman // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:34 PM

Sarcasm…………………..

• 127 Tinman // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:34 PM

I give up

• 128 Ibizatoon // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:34 PM

Blackley…A follow up to our posts from last night. As you determine where your ST money goes (wages), have you also decided which players wages it goes towards or aren’t you fussed?

• 129 richyg01 // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:34 PM

@129

Thats as foreign as we get!

• 130 Tsunki // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:35 PM

Why thank you carl.

I see what you’re saying but really it’s been an odd time for blogs of the Toon since the slide of the last half of the season. There’s been little encouragement to talk sheer football and a lot of desperation regarding the running of the club. The resultant discord has promoted division within for us fans, cue side-taking and accusations. Right now we should be pulling ourselves out of the doldrums but we have battle lines drawn between us, and nufc are not helping that one little bit by seemingly dragging their heels in the business of reshaping for next term. Plus there’s no footy. it’s a vacuum into which are drawn many unpleasant and space wasting characters. I think when the football gets going and we have some form to talk about, the old blog will return. Here’s hoping…

• 131 Jail for Ashley // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:35 PM

Belfast,
    You’re on your own with this little number, I’m following up reports of some milk being stolen from a house on primrose avenue.

• 132 Jib // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:36 PM

• 133 Tsunki // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:36 PM

The Welsh jib is digging and digging. Put the shovel down son.

• 134 Belfast // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:38 PM

Jail

Did they take the orange juice too ??

• 135 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:40 PM

Tinman
    tbf Saracasm is hard to read

• 136 Mr Magpie // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:42 PM

Carl
    There are plenty of us on here who still come on to talk about football & nufc, i amongst others enjoy participating in conversations & airing my views.

It is unfortunate that you feel you can’t really post & prefer to read but it’s a case of that you are always going to get certain people who want to bitch, moan & just argue for the sake of it.

I as i am sure others do for the most part just ignore the few individuals & the rest of us all seem to get on with eachother fine.

• 137 Belfast // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:42 PM

There’s that many heed bangers on here you can’t be sure who it is Haha

Definitely a few destined for Broadmoor at some stage.

• 138 Jail for Ashley // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:46 PM

Belfast,
    I can’t disclose that at this stage

• 139 Belfast // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:47 PM

Welsh I think you just gave yourself up there at post 111

• 140 ToonFromLeeds // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:47 PM

I must say Cathro is a huge upgrade on carver and co. sounds like a cracking appointment

• 141 Belfast // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:49 PM

checkmate

• 142 richyg01 // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:51 PM

• 143 Munster Mag // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:53 PM

Cathro could represent serious ly positive development. Delighted. Slowly slowly catch monkey.

• 144 Belfast // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:54 PM

Good appointment. I think he was heavily linked with the Rangers job at 28 he must have something about him.

Fingers crossed anyway.

• 145 Lindisfarne // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:55 PM

Nice one Rory!

• 146 Belfast // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:57 PM

Tsunki // Jun 25, 2015 at 1:23 PM

So, posts 108 and 111 from the same person.

• 147 Lindisfarne // Jun 25, 2015 at 2:02 PM

Anyone got a subscription to The Times?

Fancy copy and pasting the article mention here on Cathro?

• 148 Lindisfarne // Jun 25, 2015 at 2:04 PM

I was hoping for Lee Clarke, well, down the pub with a pint anyway!

• 149 Jail for Ashley // Jun 25, 2015 at 2:04 PM

So whose this Cathro bloke

• 150 Lindisfarne // Jun 25, 2015 at 2:11 PM

Ken Ryder, a Geordie Scout that took Austin from Poole to Swindon.

“”All the advice I’ve given Charlie is that I told him when he moves, to look at the style of football of the team he wants to join.””

previous post: It’s Vital That McClaren Gets Full Backing From Ashley