Marseilles Want Cabella – In Part Exchange For Thauvin?

There is a report in La Provence today that Remy Cabella could find himself on loan next season at Marseilles, but that will depend among other things, on West Ham being successful in their bid to sign Dimitri Payet this summer.

sammy ameobi remy cabella hull

Remy Cabella – in action for Newcastle last season

The report suggests that Marseilles have been interested in Remy Cabella over the last tow or three years,  before he signed last year for Newcastle, but the 25 year-old had a tough baptism in English football last season.

Remy – like a lot of other players at the club – played nowhere near his best form last term.

Marseilles President Vincent Labrune is said to have met Cabella’s father and his advisors repeatedly in the past,  and two years ago they made an offer of €8.5M (about £6M) to Montpellier that was turned down by club President Louis Nicollin.

Marseilles are considering getting Cabella on a season long loan deal for next season, and that he could even be used in exchange for Florian Thauvin – according to the report in La Provence.

The report also suggests that Remy Cabella wants to leave Newcastle, and that he has told his advisers to find him a new club – in Spain.

This is the translation of the La Provence report about Cabella wanting away from Newcastle:

RC (Remy Cabella) (31 games, 21 starts for 1 goal) wishes to leave the north-east of England. The champion of France, crowned in 2012, has informed his representatives at the end of last year that Spain is his preference, including Sevilla.¨

But we’d be very surprised if that is accurate.

Newcastle have already supposedly bid for Florian Thauvin, and if the news last night is accurate – he has turned down Newcastle and would prefer a move to either Arsenal or Tottenham in north London.

So if that news is accurate forget about offering Remy Cabella in part exchange for Thauvin – it wouldn’t happen.

But we would also be surprised if Steve McClaren would allow Remy Cabella to go on loan this summer, or even leave the club permanently.

Steve McClaren has been brought in to get the very best out of players just like Cabella – who under-performed for Newcastle last season.

Cabella didn’t have a good first season on Tyneside, but he did show in patches what he is capable of, and players often need time to settle in the Premier League.

We would be very surprised if Cabella is not at Newcastle this September.

What do you think?

• Mr Magpie

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:27 AM

We certainly need new signings of centre backs & strikers but how do you feel about left back.

Do you guys feel Haidara or Dummett is good enough or do you think we need to be bringing in a new left back?

• Jan Stavik

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:32 AM

Santon is far better than those two, selling him for EUR 2.8m is sheer stupidity. So yes, a new left back is needed!

• Shot Bru

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:32 AM

To be fair Cabella is Shite in the EPL .

However, the advice from his coach and chairman at Montpellier to avoid NUFC like the plague, must be ringing loudly in his ears!!!

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:33 AM

It wouldn’t be a surprise if he wanted out at all. He has struggled here, and lost his place in the national side. A return to France, or a move to Spain may well suit him and give him a better chance of representing his country in the Euro’s. Not saying that this is true, but I could see reasons on his part for wanting it.

A loan doesn’t suit us though. If he is to go, it should be permanent either with cash or player/players coming the other way.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:35 AM

Mr Magpie,
    A better left back would be good, but there are areas we need strengthening more, so it would be fairly low down my priority list.

• Shot Bru

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:38 AM

At least there’s interest for Cabella..

Pity there won’t be for Riviere.

• nut meg

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:40 AM

The priorities haven’t changed…..CBs, CFs then you can fill in the other positions.

• will die for the toon army

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:40 AM

Mr. Magpie

left is ok. Young boys with room for improvement.

• will die for the toon army

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:42 AM

I wld keeep him if he wanted to stay. If he wantsto go. I never want a player like tthat

• nufc95

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:46 AM

We need to get centre backs and strikers before we even start looking at other positions would also help if we had training staff

• Graeme

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:48 AM

Nut meg – knowing how the club has been run for the past 7 years, do you really think we will bring in a CB? We have 5 CB’s on the books today in Saylor, Colo, Willo, Dummet plus the new kid from Forrest.

Unless there is a clear out of 2 or 3 of the above, I really don’t see us bringing in another CB.

The fact that 3 of those 5 are not fit for purpose is not a factor in how Penfold looks at the situation. Its a numbers game and 5 is already too many. In reallity, yes, we do need at least 2 CB’s but I dont think they see it that way.

• switch365

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:52 AM

Charlie Austin
    Aleksandar Mitrovic
    Georginio Wijnaldum or Yohan Cabaye
    Yevhen Konoplyanka
    Fabian Schär
    Daniele Rugani

Then perhaps we can start talking winning something

• Mr Magpie

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:54 AM

Switch365
    Fabian Schaar has signed for Hoffenheim

• switch365

Jun 25, 2015 at 10:54 AM

🙁

• lesh

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:02 AM

But if Thauvin doesn’t want to come…….. although money talks!

• davetoon

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:05 AM

2 new centre backs should be priority #1 and soon as so they can begin working together.
    The rest of the positions depend on predicting what injuries we will get or who we will force out on the final day of the transfer window when a big offer comes in

• Jib

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:09 AM

I think this is just paper talk.

OM don’t need the money now Payet is off
    to Wet Spam.

Cabella was delighted to get his transfer and to be fair to him when certain poor facets of his game were publicly highlighted the kid could be seen to make an effort to rectify them.

You cannot really judge on half a season under AP then half a season under a guy clearly out of his depth.

Supermac has yet to assess him , and when that happens I think we’ll see improvement.

Instead of a book about where he comes from
    How about ” A Year in The Toon”

• The overrated Frenchman

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:12 AM

We won’t get anything close to our money back by selling Cabella or Riviere. It’s impossible to know for sure, but between them I’d reckon they cost close to 15 mill. They will be of zero interest to any big club, and I would think that we’d be lucky to get back half of what we paid for them. I am an unashamed Charnley-Carr basher I admit, but really, these were two absolutely dreadful signings. Neither has the attributes to cut it in our league, and that should have been bleeding obvious.

• Jib

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:18 AM

Frenchy

Like a lot of the posters of a certain type on here you are a past master of being very wise an profound after the event.

I clearly recall you saying about this time last year how pleasantly surprised and pleased you were that we’d pulled off the Cabella signing.

• will die for the toon army

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:24 AM

Thats wat we said abt Colo and Enrique. Then they came good. Lets give them time. I reckon we keep them for next season and see. All we need is;
    Austin Dost Wijand Matip Thauvin
    2 stricker 1Attacking Midfielder 1 Centre Back and 1 Wing Forwrd.
    …………………….Krul
    Janmatt……..Matip…….Colo(c). …….Durmett
    ……………Wijnand…………Colback
    Sisoko…………..De Jong……………..Thauvin
    …………………….Austin
    Subs:
    Darlow, S.Taylor, Anita, Toite, Cabella, Perez, Dost.
    TOP 6 CLUB.
    Sell Cisse, Guoffran, Mauvuex, Fergie, Vurkic, Williamson.

• The overrated Frenchman

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:26 AM

I did not! I thought he was a big gamble and over-priced. If I was surprised, it wasn’t pleasantly, I promise you! I was hoping we’d get Grenier. I admit I say stupid things on here when I’m pissed – which is most nights – but I won’t own up to that.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:27 AM

I asked the question the other day, Santons defensive abilities were the cause of much debate but does anybody think that Haidara and Dummet are better than him. In an ideal world we would see a quality LB signed with Haidara as back up but in the real world more than likely it would be Dummet as the back up for his ability to play at CB. In the even more real world Dummet will be first choice LB in August until STaylor gets his perennial injury and Collo needs to visit home to watch San Lorenzo.

• will die for the toon army

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:32 AM

Sell Williamson and get one CB. I still trust COLO.

• will die for the toon army

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:33 AM

Colo never gets Injured.

• Ibizatoon

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:33 AM

Jib…I’ve not really been keeping up with the blog lately, so perhaps you can catch me up.

Are you still holding out hope of people thinking you’re a long time reader, first time poster and definitely not Jeff?

Just want to make sure I don’t blow your cover, if you are indeed still trying to do so.

Jail…I saw a post to you earlier, basically saying well done for your efforts, but now you need to take a step back and see what the club does now that is has ambition. Did it make you chuckle? I did.

• Jib

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:34 AM

I think the Ukrainian – Kerplonker – whatever he’s called – would get found out in the EPL.
    Watched him in the Euros , not really impressed.

• Ibizatoon

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:36 AM

On the subject of LB’s. I did think that Haidara would ultimately offer us a better all round FB than Santon, but he doesn’t seem to be progressing really. Not sure if it was the injury, non-consistent starts etc, but he hasn’t looked the same.

I think like many people, the LB spot is one I would happily wait for at this stage. Far greater issues to address. CB and ST. Stopping and scoring goals have been a big issue.

• Jib

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:36 AM

Ibiza
    Frankly my dear I couldn’t give a damn .

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:38 AM

@22,
    Ha ha 😀

• mickalfas

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:42 AM

If we dont sort out the defence ,we are going to need a lot more than Austin to sort the goal difference problem out

• Ibizatoon

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:42 AM

Jib…Isn’t there an Ashley in Gone with the wind? I may have to take to Google.

• Jib

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:46 AM

Yup he was played by leslie howard who was shot down by the luftwaffe near gibraltar

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:47 AM

Ibiza,
    I was going to reply to Cyprus to say as much as I support the ONGOING campaign it wasn’t mine to take credit for. Some people do seem to think it’s job done, but I’m sure there are even more people waiting to see what happens in the summer before resuming hostilities.

• Jib

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:47 AM

my quote was from Rhett Butler by the way

• lesh

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:50 AM

According to the Grauniad, Payet’s set for s medical at WHU tomorrow. The clubs have reported a £10.7m fee and he’ll be paid £60k a week PLUS an appearance bonus of £10k a game.

The pay deal’d make more sense than a crap wage plus a bonus dependant on where we finish the season. It might encourage the lame to find their fitness a bit quicker!

• The overrated Frenchman

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:53 AM

Thanks Jib. My doctor tells me that all time. My late wife used to bang on about it too, but my memory is the least of my problems as I approach old age….

• lesh

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:53 AM

Ibiza

You’ve no need to search Google, Jib knows its contents by heart!