This Is Newcastle Coach Ian Cathro’s Exciting Manifesto

Newcastle United are ready to name Ian Cathro as one of Steve McClaren’s new coaches, and it’s an exciting appointment for Newcastle to have a 28 year-old coach who is highly regarded in coaching circles.

He has only just resigned from his assistant manager job at Valencia, where he worked with head coach Nuno Espirito Santo – known simply as Nuno.

ian cathro valencia

Ian Cathro – while at Valencia

The Scot had an early end to his playing career because of injury, and he has been in coaching for a few years now, having started as the head of Dundee United’s Youth Academy six years ago.

After Ian left Valencia just over a couple of weeks ago he had this to say:

¨I would like to thank Nuno Espírito Santo for the opportunity to work with him in the top leagues in Portugal and Spain.¨

It has been a unique and hugely rewarding experience for an ambitious Scottish coach.”‘I wish Valencia the success they deserve.¨

¨I had an amazing time with a great club in a fantastic city. This was a very difficult decision to take and was agreed some time ago.

And in a recent interview he has talked about his philosophy of coaching and management:

“You project forward to the types of job you want to do. I want to fill a stadium and make people excited about coming, feeling that as an enjoyable thing to watch and embrace.

¨That’s whilst being able to do something of significance at a club that leaves a structure and a system so that it continues to profit from beyond my period of time.”

“That’s the types of jobs that are more appealing and more natural to me. You’re paid a lot of money, football gives you a lot of good things, and it’s the club’s position in society that gives you that.¨

¨It’s important that the club gets its value from you.”

Ian will be a popular choice among Newcastle fans, and with Steve McClaren promising to play attacking football in his new role at Newcastle, now the club has to concentrate on getting some good players through the door this summer.

Steve McClaren could even announce his full coaching team tomorrow, five days before pre-season training starts next Wednesday.

• banjax

Jun 26, 2015 at 12:07 AM

Progress !

• The overrated Frenchman

Jun 26, 2015 at 12:17 AM

Maybe there’s an element of succession planning with this appointment?

• Mister Tuff

Jun 26, 2015 at 12:17 AM

More fables and invention by Blockhead.
    The latest made up tale :-
    “Oh yes. It was Tuff. The same guy who said he wouldn’t kick another player in revenge for that other player kicking him three times. Either Tuff has never played the game or he’s the Marquis of Queensbury. Hmmm. What do we reckon?”

When in fact what I did say was :-
    “Mister Tuff // Jun 25, 2015 at 10:05 PM

Blockhead — ooh oooh – ooh what a tough player you are -fouling people from behind – oooh what a toughie.
    Your tactics are no surprise.
    I used to play football -I note you did not mention what game you played – I presume by your actions on here it must be netball.
    what a tart – what a knacker.
    Holding a grudge because you do not know the law. If Wally slips up this season you can arrest him(citizens arrest).”

Now then if you could just indicate where in my post I said I wouldn’t kick another player -just take your time.
    Duh—- never said it at all you just made it up. Another trickster caught out.

You call yourself a Toon fan and have been bleating on all week about Carr valuing players – what a load of ill informed crap. Charnley has been pricing the players since 2008 when Llambias was MD.
    Get the bloody facts first you knacker.
    Wanting to arrest Percy – what a knacker.

• Munster Mag

Jun 26, 2015 at 12:18 AM

Brilliant stuff. If we are fair ( and many here are not ) we can praise the club now. Many guys screamed that charva wud get the job. Well you were very wrong.

• Graeme

Jun 26, 2015 at 12:19 AM

More info on Cathro – Click on the “BOX-Soccer” link within the text. Its a system Cathro developed and works to.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Jun 26, 2015 at 12:26 AM

Hahahahahahahahahah Tuffty @4

You’re embarrassing yourself big time, buddy. Mummy should come quick too rescue you. I can’t wait to reply before she gets here and advises you to ignore me.

• will die for the toon army

Jun 26, 2015 at 12:31 AM

Succession plan I released that NUFC appoint from with. That’s Ashely policy.

• awaydays

Jun 26, 2015 at 12:37 AM

How about both of you stop acting like 12 year olds and grow up? Onto football I believe that after the coaching staff is announced there will be more activity transfer wise which isnt open yet prior to what you all think

• Blackley and Brownlie

Jun 26, 2015 at 1:01 AM

Tuffty

What a chump you’re making of yourself. No wonder you’re so belligerent when you can’t follow a logical thread. Here you go:

148Mister Tuff // Jun 25, 2015 at 10:20 PM

“Blockhead – what’s this rallying call on the last day of the seasoning you’re now spouting on about.
    If I remember correctly you said we were going to get beat. Great rallying call.
    You spin more crap than King Percy.”

It’s simple Tuffty. I predicted at the start of the season we’d be relegation candidates and after Carver was appointed, it looked even more likely. When it came down to the last game of the season, I predicted we’d go down.

However, you may not have grasped this but a prediction is just a prediction. If you had any intelligence you would know that you can make a prediction as to what might happen, but you do not havevto call for it to happen. On the contrary, you can do what you can to try to achieve a different result.

Old Blackley never gave up hope that, if the players could get the crowd behind them, the crowd could lift them sufficiently. So, whilst I might predict on the blog one thing, I’m going to the match to support the team along with 50,000 others.

I wasn’t in the stands shouting “give up, you’re going to get beat. I’ve predicted it on the blog”. Because, you see, that’s what I’d have to be doing for your silly comment to have any validity.

Such hard work. Such a childish jibe. If only mummy knew.

• Mister Tuff

Jun 26, 2015 at 1:11 AM

Blockhead – typical – as usual fails to answer the questions -but quick at running his gob off. What a knacker.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Jun 26, 2015 at 1:22 AM

Tuffty

You accuse me of more fable and invention. Do you realise what a chump you are in making your original childish statement in the first place. If that wasn’t bad enough you repeat it.

I said you said that you would not do what I did, namely seek revenge. So, you reply:

“When in fact what I did say was :-
    “Mister Tuff // Jun 25, 2015 at 10:05 PM

Your tactics are no surprise.”

The clear implication is that it is not something you would do and you wouldn’t use such tactics. So, that’s why I said you said that you would not do such a thing.

My god it’s hard work spoon feeding a child.

• expatmag

Jun 26, 2015 at 1:26 AM

Tuff

I really dont understand why you dont just ignore this 24 carat plonker mate. He is not worth the time and energy mate.

Read Ibizas reply to him on a thread recently. That was class and shut the twat up.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Jun 26, 2015 at 1:27 AM

Blackley, I know that comment is between you and tuff but I thought you should know that it gave me a headache.

• Mister Tuff

Jun 26, 2015 at 1:31 AM

Blockhead – more twisted crap as usual.
    You’ve just blurted out that you never gave up hope of a win on the last day of the season. More fables from Walter Mitty.
    Oh just hang on -what’s in this post I just found :-
    “Blackley and Brownlie // May 24, 2015 at 2:01 PM
    Betsy
    How can the players or fans take Carver’s words seriously? Every game has been a must win cup final. Week after week the same old sh1te.

The fact is he is tactically inept. That’s not going to change today. So I can’t see us getting a result. Hull have everything to play for and Man Utd have nothing. That tells me one thing.”

Top rallying cry “… I can’t see us getting a result”.
    What a knacker. More fables and invention.
    And at that I’m off – wasted too much of my time sorting out your weasel words.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Jun 26, 2015 at 1:39 AM

Tuffty
    You say, “what a tart – what a knacker.

Where has this little outburst come from? We know you embarrassed yourself big time on the King Percy incident, looking like a complete plonke after setting out your exposition of the law in your usual supercilious manner, and missing the whole point in your eagerness to show off. But bringing it up time after time and stating you are right doesn’t change the facts and doesn’t restore any credibility that you thought you had.

We’re all tired of you bringing it up and claiming victory like a battered boxer raising his hand in desperation. Thats why I’ve asked you politely to run through the issue once again so that we can put it to bed for good. You’ve proved tonight you can cut and paste so do it. Let’s have it out. I’ve invited you several times to do this but each time you bottle it.

When asked what qualifcations you’ve got, you’ve told us you got your legal knowledge from studying books. That would explain exactly what we’re seeing in this case. You’ve got no legal qualifications. You are self taught. That makes you limited unless you’re so talented you don’t need university tuition.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Jun 26, 2015 at 1:52 AM

Hahahaha Tuff @15
    What are you drinking tonight? Anyone will read that and see what you excitedly quote is a prediction on a blog. In order to score some childish point, in desperation you’re conflating my prediction on a blog and what I was talking about with BandB, namely going to the match and cheering the lads on to a win.

They’re two separate things. Both compatible. Neither incompatible. Perfectly justified to predict a loss on a blog but go to the match, cheer the lads on and hope we can do win, knowing that the crowd can help realign the odds a little. The rallying cry was for the fans to turn out in force and despite our worst fears, help the ladson to victory. If they give us something to cheer, we could just do it.

You really are a tortured litlle man behaving like a child. It’s about time mummy came along to give you the usual succour when she sees her little boy getting picked on after he’s kicked off with folk.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Jun 26, 2015 at 1:55 AM

Blackley et Tuff

Have your petty arguments really reached that personal level??? Oh dear.

You two are clearly never going to agree so can one of you be the bigger man and just leave it??

It’s getting kind of repetitive and boring now, at the end of the day this is just a blog on the Internet that doesn’t effect your lives at all. Give it a rest?? For the sake of the blog. Please? 🙂

• Novocastrian66

Jun 26, 2015 at 2:01 AM

WTF are those two banging on about? Oh, by the way that’s a rhetorical question.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Jun 26, 2015 at 2:04 AM

Tuffty
    Please don’t ever let me forget this one. Comedy Classic.

“Charnley has been pricing the players since 2008 when Llambias was MD. Get the bloody facts first you knacker.”

“Right Derek. How much are we going to offer for this lad?”

“I don’t know Lee. What do you reckon? Have you asked Graham?”

“Why do I need to ask Graham? I’ve been pricing the players since 2008.”

“To be fair Lee, Graham is the football man.”

“Bollox that Derek. I get my knowledge from studying books. Shoot Annuals.”

• Mister Tuff

Jun 26, 2015 at 2:18 AM

Graham Carr interview April 2012.
    ““I think at Newcastle that we haven’t been able to pay the big fees, so, Darren, we’ve gone for what you might call realistic targets, you know. But I just go and watch matches. I go and pick up three matches in Holland, three in France over the weekend, or midweek, or in Germany and I get a list of names together, sit down with the manager, Derek Llambias and Lee Charnley and our staff and we discuss them. Then, if we think we want to sign one then Lee Charnley goes and gets a price for him.”.

Blockhead dear dear you are wrong again -Carr quote saying Lee Charnley get the price. Now then do you understand that – it’s called a quote.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Jun 26, 2015 at 2:25 AM

Burnley
    I’ve tried to do that. I even told his mate Expat the other day for the sake of the blog I’m happy to cut him some slack. When I’m not laughing at him, I’m feeling embarrassed for him. The trouble is he can never converse reasonably and respectfully for very long so my sympathy doesn’t last.

I’m prepared to cut him slack again and you can be my witness. He doesn’t have to agree with people but he doesn’t need to act like an arse when someone disagrees with him.

He can’t let the King Percy incident pass because he made such an idiot of himself. That’s where it started.

He’d be better off ignoring me. That’s what people tell him to do but he can’t. I ignore him until he starts.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Jun 26, 2015 at 2:37 AM

OMG Tuff@21 Are you for real? That means Charnley approaches the other club to see what price they’re asking. Thats what admin men do. Charnley will negotiate based on the price quoted by the other club and NUFC’s top valuation supplied to him by his football people.

In no way does that mean Charnley is pricing the players in terms of valuing them, which is what I have clearly talking about in numerous posts.

You buffoon. You couldn’t make it up. Put your drink down and go to bed. Stop flapping and looking for quote after quote to dig yourself out. You’re only digging deeper.

Your credibility is shot mate. The only people who will back you now are the usual blog numpties and high fivers.

• willowdalerez

Jun 26, 2015 at 4:38 AM

Exciting appointment…. love the fact he has a track record of bringing through young talent andgo

• expatmag

Jun 26, 2015 at 4:57 AM

Blackley

For the sake of the forum, will you please f**k off.

Your childish antics are boring and senseless. Most of the posters on here are fed up with your continual jibes at people.

The mummies boy bit to Mr. Tuff is ridiculous and something I last came across at school half a century ago.

Furthermore, would it actually cross your mind that he may have actually lost his mother recently and your jibes bring back some difficult memories for him?

You have also recently managed to do something no other poster on here has managed to do since the inception of this blog. You actually managed to upset Ibizatoon, one of the more likeable knowledgeable and respected people on this blog.

You manage to continually turn people against you with monotonous regularity and have succeeded totally in making yourself the laughing stock of the blog. Well done.

My advice to all posters is to ignore your inane ravings and childish tantrums. There is no reward at all in getting into a discussion with a numpty like you.

Move on.

• willowdalerez

Jun 26, 2015 at 5:02 AM

Damn tablet…. Anyway to finish as a Scot he may feel close enough to stick around go things go well for him. Hope McClaren can bring in some players as promising because I so relish the thought of being excited come late season as opposed to worried we’ll go down!

To the real cynics on here call me a muppet but Sportsdirect is going to pocket a few extra when I buy my daughter her first toon shirt this season!

Time to see if Ashley was all talk (firmly in the Ashley out camp if he baldly lied to us) but I’ll also be holding McClaren and Cathro’s feet to the fire if we run another season of uninspired long ball big???? They too have talked a big game to the papers time to deliver one on the pitch ????

• NOVA2967

Jun 26, 2015 at 5:26 AM

Sounds like to much sun…

• jazzyp

Jun 26, 2015 at 6:02 AM

No wonder this blogs gone downhill

• Mister Tuff

Jun 26, 2015 at 6:04 AM

Blockhead – inventing stuff again -you say you ignore me until I start – – you just invent stuff. I posted something yesterday and no sooner had I done it you were on slagging me off. It’s there for all to see. You just make stuff up – quite worrying -you are one sick hombre.
    From now on I’m just going to ignore your sniping and rubbish posts.
    You are one sick person – no wonder you were banned from the other blog.

• expatmag

Jun 26, 2015 at 6:11 AM

Tuff

And soon to be banned from this one too…….as I understand it.

• expatmag

Jun 26, 2015 at 6:31 AM

Jazzy

Too true mate. It appears gone are the days when decent discussion without childishness was the norm. Some on here seem to be intent on spoiling it fir the majority.

• Santon03

Jun 26, 2015 at 6:33 AM

possible signing(s) from this list?

I like Gauld, good dribbling and through passes could be future playmaker.

• Santon03

Jun 26, 2015 at 6:37 AM

also like Shkodran Mustafi

• firebug666

Jun 26, 2015 at 6:42 AM

So the backroom staff are starting to come together, and it’s looking good, some could even say exciting.

This overhaul is long overdue, and I don’t think it is done for the fans out of the kindness of the clubs heart.

Whilst it very welcome, and a more positive change in direction by the club, I can’t help feeling pessimistic; I have no trust in our club.

I want to be more optimistic, I want to say things like “now we’ll show them eh!” And maybe we will, but eight years of being lied to, eight years of deception from the club have made it difficult for me to think better things are around the corner.

We now need some quality players brought in, some deadwood shipped out and a football philosophy running throughout the club.

After eight years of negativity for the fans, I hope this is the start of eight years of positivity, but as this is Newcastle who knows.

• Jib

Jun 26, 2015 at 6:50 AM

We are getting real close to signing the Serb Aleksander Mitrovic
    There are 3 clubs in the running
    Benfica – his preferred option
    Swansea – bid 14 million euro , will go no higher
    Newcastle – preparing a bid of 17/18 million euro , way out of Benfica’s range.
    Anderlecht will have the final say which makes us favourites

• toonincheek

Jun 26, 2015 at 6:51 AM

It’s all gone quiet on van Ginkel.
    No news that it’s off, or on.

Could it be that van Ginkel is interested but
    waiting to see what other signings we make
    before making a commitment?

I wouldn’t blame him, or other targets, if that’s
    the case..

• cyprus

Jun 26, 2015 at 7:01 AM

Careful there. I sense… optimism!

Anyway, things are changing. Does this mean success? Not necessarily, but it’s movement and we needed that.

Now, we need a couple big transfers.

After that: some real coaching. Our players probably aren’t as bad as we’ve seen. I mean, can they really not pass a ball? Can they really not go beyond one tactic in set plays?

I keep saying CL and people chuckle. I’d love that to happen… but: I want to see some good football this year, some amazing goals, a real team that can get me off my seat and make me feel proud of.

• jazzyp

Jun 26, 2015 at 7:09 AM

Please refrain from using the word “optimism” on here as you will be shot down for being a mashley lover…… Wink wink

• Jib

Jun 26, 2015 at 7:10 AM

According to this we are really ticking off Juventus and Inter who normally just have to say they want a player and they get their way.The Toon however is clumping around Europe waving it’s cheque book and rocking the boat.
    Monac have rejected 17 million from us for Aymen Abdennour but we are returning with a bid of 20.